VE's Official Declaration of War

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A well thought out post.

This is one of the things I believe most people fail to grasp, one of the reasons I prefer fighting in the low tier is due to how long most of us have remained in this world, who is more likely to surrender, someone who has been in the alliance for 2 or more years, or a newbie who is experiencing their first war? There's plenty of methods of psychological warfare people don't attempt, but that'd require doing more than plotting a curbstomp once a year to be truly useful.

Psychological warfare is the only creative thing left in this cruel world. Sadly it is ignored by most other than the frequent attempts to spew so much garbage on the OWF that your opponents hate their lives and choose to end them (IC, of course).

When I first saw the quick counter, I wondered how many nights VE waited in anticipation of being able to counter TOP. Causing likely opponents to prepare and remain up late is a pretty meaningful factor an alliance such as TOP gets to control, especially if an entry into war is inevitable.

Delaying entry can burn out opponents psychologically. Anticipation can lead to a let down, especially since much of the excitement with war is actually that anticipation. As rulers age and have less time available to manage their affairs this can lead to considerably lower morale and ability to remain committed to a long term war.

Over time, such psychological warfare results in an aggressor more quickly losing morale (especially in the rank and file) and in a war like this which will become a nuke fest for most of those rank and file nations it hurts morale significantly.

When you add in the fact that TOP presumably had ample time to prepare their counter, resulting in minimal levels of their members waiting on the brink of war for nights on end, it's likely that simply delaying their entry a few days - let alone weeks - gives them a pretty significant morale advantage.

... of course, it's also possible that everything I wrote above really boils down to lolpsec rather than any strategic psychological warfare planning.

But continuing our psychological warfare discussion,  knowing the timezone of your opponents and then attacking only an hour or so past when a ruler would normally go to bed or awake for their days is the next logical step. You can wear down their ability to maintain their life and deprive them of sleep. If you attack too much into their night, they have no hope and give up. But by strategically planning your attacks to correspond with time that is on the cusp of intense inconvenience but remaining feasible, you can force them into either remaining up late, arising early, or choosing to sacrifice their nation for the sake of sleep, knowing it was fully in their power to be at the helm during your attack and they chose to abandon their post.

I am equally surprised no alliance chooses to basically peace mode their entire alliance, decom all their soldiers, and DoW when leaving peace mode with no soldiers (but keeping tanks for the initial blitz and their immediate destruction upon a single counterstrike), thus depriving opponents of all their opportunity to steal land, tech, casualties, and promising only a boring war of nukes, spies, navy, randcraft, and cruise missiles, slowly chipping away at years of hard earned work with minimal casualties to show for it.

Oh so much is missing from this world of psychological warfare. Simply choosing not to nuke casualty happy enemies is but scratching the surface!

To address the first half - we've been at war with MI6 so many of our members have been online for update already to continue fights/place staggers/pray someone comes out of peace / etc

Also boring war would be boring :(

Over time, such psychological warfare results in an aggressor more quickly losing morale (especially in the rank and file) and in a war like this which will become a nuke fest for most of those rank and file nations it hurts morale significantly.

I am equally surprised no alliance chooses to basically peace mode their entire alliance, decom all their soldiers, and DoW when leaving peace mode with no soldiers (but keeping tanks for the initial blitz and their immediate destruction upon a single counterstrike), thus depriving opponents of all their opportunity to steal land, tech, casualties, and promising only a boring war of nukes, spies, navy, randcraft, and cruise missiles, slowly chipping away at years of hard earned work with minimal casualties to show for it.

Oh so much is missing from this world of psychological warfare. Simply choosing not to nuke casualty happy enemies is but scratching the surface!

It is not done because it only motivates your political opponents to take an extra kilogram of flesh from you. You are never going to get it 'lighter'. Furthermore it also hurts your political capital and keeps the antagonism burning for the next war- where you will again be extra rolled for it.

'Psychological gains' are none to speak of in reality. Easily can be argument made that effects are exactly the opposite on moral. Blatant defeatism doesn't do any favors for you.

You will never see this done to this degree as its pure suicide therefore quite stupid. Here is a secret for you-- when people want a piece of you and they aligned to get it, they will. You can only make it worser for yourself. Take the blow, dish out most that you can in return. It satisfies antagonisms, cleans slates, gains political capital and if you are smart enough you will capitalize on those opportunities.

VE got me my counter and are pulling off some pretty incredible coordination with IRON. I can't say anything bad for now

Excellent, my plan to be larger than Bagel is working better than expected

But continuing our psychological warfare discussion,  knowing the timezone of your opponents and then attacking only an hour or so past when a ruler would normally go to bed or awake for their days is the next logical step. You can wear down their ability to maintain their life and deprive them of sleep. If you attack too much into their night, they have no hope and give up. But by strategically planning your attacks to correspond with time that is on the cusp of intense inconvenience but remaining feasible, you can force them into either remaining up late, arising early, or choosing to sacrifice their nation for the sake of sleep, knowing it was fully in their power to be at the helm during your attack and they chose to abandon their post.

The only reason one would stay up is to to do quad attacks over update. There is no point to staying up to defend against attacks since most attacks occur within the span of minutes and you will almost never be able to rebuy troops fast enough to thwart the subsequent attacks.

The only reason one would stay up is to to do quad attacks over update. There is no point to staying up to defend against attacks since most attacks occur within the span of minutes and you will almost never be able to rebuy troops fast enough to thwart the subsequent attacks.

you are so bad at war...

There is no point to staying up to defend against attacks since most attacks occur within the span of minutes and you will almost never be able to rebuy troops fast enough to thwart the subsequent attacks.

Depending on your RL* schedule and when your opponents tend to attack you, it can be done. I've done all sorts of defensive spoiler plays in past wars and most of those enemies have made me stay up until 1 or 2 am to do them.

* I know it's an IC forum but let me off that one ;)

While varying the times you are on and attack during a long campaign is just sound tactics, there are times when hitting someone just after update is also a good idea, particularly when your enemy has shown a tendency not to be around at that time.  Also, if you are taking a pounding, getting your attacks in first means that you can do more damage than if you attack after your enemy.