With the Indonesians and the French and the...

Shave N Haircut

[Private]

With the French movements in Iberia, diplomatic isolation, and now meddling in Indonesia, the Neapolitans felt that it was appropriate to check French influence abroad and decrease the likelihood of further French movements into the Italian region.

[Public]

Naples condemns the recognition of the rogue state in Indonesia by the French monarchy.

[To Naples]

Our concerns in the area of the South Pacific are rather more practical than idealistic, we would prefer if our allies in Naples would consider speaking to us privately about our decisions in the future instead of blurting out randomly to the public.

[Oceania]

The Governor of New Caledonia, an elected official with a line directly to the Empress, would arrive in Oceania's capital a few days later, the Oceanic government being well warned of his arrival so that they might convey him to the place of the meeting.

The arrival of the Governor in the city of Midisle was met with the usual crowd of reporters and photographers. A private meeting between the Governor and newly appointed Secretary of Defense Bryony Williamson, who had scheduled a private conference and a public press release, granted the Governor had the time for the latter.

"Your Excellency, it's a great pleasure to have you in our capital. Just follow us and we'll get things underway. Where shall we begin?"

Edited by Stephen Young

He met the paparazzi with a smile and a wave, not responding to any questions except if the response, "We'll see." was appropriate for the situation.

"Well, France has a vested interest in this region, and we're extremely concerned with keeping the peace and thus protecting our people here." the Governor says, "We wish to see to it that Oceania doesn't view us as an enemy at any point in the future."

Once the doors had been closed...

[Private]

"The safety of the region is our concern as well," she assured. "You know, one idea we've been toying with is a gradual buildup toward a treaty organization of nations with a presence in the Pacific. Sort of a loose trading and military conference that would keep peace and help check continental Asian powers. Of course, you're the first to know and maybe, if things work out, the other players in the region could be invited.

"But that's getting ahead of ourselves... We had thought about offering an exchange of military bases and a chance for us to mutually expand our import/export influence. What are your thoughts?"

Edited by Stephen Young

The ambassador interlocked his fingers and rested his head against them, "Well, we would prefer to not provoke anyone's enmity by entering into an alliance which, as you say, would be directed against them, but military cooperation would be very possible, I don't know about exchanging bases but we could certainly work together. As for trade, France is always eager to expand our relations with as many nations as possible in that regard."

The Secretary of Defense was always willing to accept progress. "Your concerns are understood and let me assure you that such an alliance would not be against any nation or group of nations. It woul be only a buffer to regional aggression and territorial expansion, should that ever occur. What I'm thinking is that we might establish a shipping lane around Africa, where our navies could practice maeuvers under joint or exchanged command as the first several shipments of goods goes through."

• 2 weeks later...

"I wouldn't mind that terribly but my government wants a more conservative treaty to start with. It would be best if we stuck with a simple trade treaty at first rather than anything military, though I assure you the government of France would be willing to engage in that in the future."