Your First War

Schattenmann

Did I fight you in this war? Or was it gw3 I can't remember lol. 

My first war was GW2 with GATO, unless you count the "rogue war" that happened after the war range switch post GW1. Luckily in gw2 I was just small enough not to have to fight TOP and thus my nation wasn't badly damaged.  GW3 was much more fun though, was the only top 20 GATO nation to get hit by MDC, and dear lord were they terrible. Lasted almost the entire war out of anarchy (amazing what can happen when there are no nukes.) 

I fought Inferno, I know that

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First Citrus war was raging when I joined the NPO, as a noob hit someone from another AA entirely (that said you had to rely on Nation Descriptions at the time), got chewed out by Ivan, Moo and Tyga.  Declared Peace and found myself at war with Pingu if remember correctly.

NAAC v2 came up soon and was a lot more fun.  Got put on St Heliers, who I have probably fought at least 10 or 12 times now, although he seems to have gone inactive of late.

St Heliers was a beast back in the day.

Finding nations was pretty difficult with no alliance system.

St Heliers was a beast back in the day.

Finding nations was pretty difficult with no alliance system.

He certainly was a beast, I always kept an eye out for him in most world wars to have another round.

• 2 weeks later...

My first CN war was VietFAN.  I was in the process of joining FAN as part of a mass invasion, reading the boards to get a feel for what was going on and everything.  And then all of a sudden mpol is telling us not to attack back and accept some peace offers that NPO sent.  Of course I have no idea what's going on, and in fact I'm being attacked by Genmay on 'FAN Applicant'.  As a new nation, I was quickly overwhelmed and ZIed/bill locked within about a week.  Since that was the whole of my experience playing CN I decided that the game was lame, deleted my nation, and left for 6 months.  When I came back about 6 months later, FAN was still at war.   No point in rejoining FAN then.  Can't grow in PM.  But I was angry at NPO.  I decided that they had to pay, that I would make them pay.

And I did. 

Thoughts on this

- Old NPO were really and truly some dirty $%@# and without a doubt deserved to burn and burn hard.  Of course, I was quite content with where things stood after 3 weeks of the Karma war, and wanted to befriend NPO after that.  Ahead of my time there.  The whole 450,000 tech reps + other surrender terms thing was in fact a painstakingly negotiated compromise between people like me and FOK who figured the war was ready to be done and the people on our side who badly wanted VietNPO.  Of course, I was really a relative newcomer to being wronged by the NPO, so its understandable that others in our coalition who had suffered more wanted to see them bleed more or even die.

- My initial impression of the game was basically right.  It is lame.  I don't know why I came back, lol.

Edited by Londo Mollari

My first rogue war, I was in the CCC. I volunteered to help out a member who had been rogued by an unaligned nation. I was super excited, got my aid, then declared. I logged off, and when I logged back on I noticed I had been countered by another nation twice my size.  :laugh: It was then that I learned not to take it for granted that an unaligned nation might not have any friends. If I was more than 5k NS soaking wet, I'd be surprised.

My first real war (if you can call it that) was WotC. I was still in the CCC at the time. I happened to be online when we were blitzed, so I was able to stave off anarchy, but my MoD resigned about 30 minutes in. That sucked. While improvement shopping, I figured guerrilla camps sounded useful, and bought 5 of them babies. I didn't understand then why 3 nations twice my size were losing their offensive battles against me (they failed to coordinate in addition to their lack of GC's, so I was able to restock troops between assaults), but I thanked them for their abandoned equipment by mailing it off to my alliance mates. :awesome: Definitely some mixed emotions about this experience, but I still learned a ton, so there's that.  :)

PB-NpO/DH-NPO/whatever. BN declared war on UBD; the front peaced less than 48 hours later when UBD's allies withdrew. It was...slightly unsatisfying. 

This. I was a more peaceful soul then, and Schad actually helped convince me we should fight at all. Then, of course, once we did I wanted to burn UBD to the ground, a policy I'll defend to this day and that J eventually admitted was probably right. Also, <3 bcortell for coaching me on IRC down to the last button to push when I was... awake after hosting a party.

For a couple years after Karma, I recall there being some sort of rivalry, animosity, whatever you want to call it between CCC and TPF, not sure if TPF saw it that way at all but that was CCC's perspective. I personally disliked TPF. It seemed to wane once our mutual ally TOOL merged with them. Today, I think TPF is one of the finest alliances in this game, and I count many of its membership as my friends.

CCC was allied to TOOL? Wow.

Joined CN right before the Karma war, I was so small that I never had a chance to fight anyone. Bi-Polar was my first war. The buildup to that was a lot of fun with so much going on. Frostbite falling apart, NpO flip flopping and nobody knowing what was going on. Fought a couple guys from CSN. I was around ~40K NS at the time with 4K infra/3.5Kish tech. My two opponents were 7k infra/1k tech. I mopped the floor with them. Was the first time I saw the effects of tech and my love affair with it has been strong ever since. Was a fun time. VE/NpO, was alright, had fun fighting some IRON guys. NpO/TOP not so much fun, just sick of going to bat and getting pounded for the same alliance. Had fun last war as a much larger nation, IRON had some good fighters, other nations from other alliances not so much but it was fun beating them up.

The buildup to Bi-Polar was probably the most interesting time in the history of this game for a lot of reasons. It was especially baffling as a sideline-sitter with a few-weeks-old nation who had never seen anything else.

My first war of note was PB-NpO (from Dark Templar).  Dark Templar entered in defense on an ally, LoSS and was promptly countered by CSN (within 12 minutes!).  This war had one of the worst endings in CN history, with CSN having called in ghosts like Timmehhh and Vespassianus (the B*st*rds) and one of the most heated OWF debates I've ever been a part of (86 pages!).  CSN, despite being the aggressor, had the audacity to extort reps from DT, a move so unpopular that it would ultimately lead to their downfall in the Grudge War.

Outcome:  This war left such a bad taste in my mouth that I resigned from Dark Templar due to future stability/protection concerns, a move that is still lamented.

Notable show of naivete by me:  I actually called upon high-ranked friends I had in Umbrella: Xavi and others, to see if they could help me defeat Timmehhh, since I was 40 days deep in war and had no nukes.  They informed me they were on the other side of the war...  

What I learned:  This defeat inspired me to never again be out-tech'd in a war and grow my nation as fast as I could, so that someday I could blindside Timmehhh as he had done to me.  Unfortunately I picked probably the worst possible target to catch, as he began a tirade of raiding and nation building unrivaled for 2 full years.

Interesting observation:  It seems the DOOMBIRD spirit was strong in me even at that time, the world was just not ready.  Amusingly I think Tim had something like 18k tech to my 10k but he was still unbeatable.   :)

This brings back some interesting memories. I remember not liking either coalition in that war, but actually liking yours (NPO's? Polar's? whatever you want to call it) a bit more than the other one, which, of course, I was in. Also, wow, linking to a Sarm post. I miss that guy.

Back in January 2007, it was something between GOONS LUE and polar. It was my first war.

I remember declaring one , and getting pwned. About 3 days in I realised the value of co-ord, not letting people get defeat alerts , and came out the other end with a ton of money and tech .

Actually it was a chance conversation a few months ago about online games, that drew me back in .