Your First War

Schattenmann

I thought it might be fun to talk about our first wars, and maybe how they've shaped our view of war etc.

Please do not turn this into an idiotic !@#$show by arguing about past wars; I'm not talking politics, morality, etc. just your experience in your first war.

For me personally, my first war was the UnJust War.  I had been unaligned for ~6 months before I finally decided to join GOONS in August 2007.  Unbeknownst to me as an ignorant unaligned, they were in the middle of the Moldavi Rebellion and ModGate and all the other WUT drama.  On September 11 the war began.

It was a serious stomping in an age when alliances had over 1,000 members.  GOONS had something-like 1200, NPO had about the same, etc. etc.  I was still really small and had no idea how to fight a war (I'd never even been raided in 6 unaligned mos because I didn't screw with buying tech) so I went off the infamous[ly bad, apparently] expletive-filled Arcades war guide. 

So, I spent a month getting ground up into dust as GOONS went it basically alone due to all the OOC crap.  I fought Sunstar and Shahenshah before any of us were famous, our battle reports are still somewhere on the ODN forum (I'll put them in next week's TWiN). 

I wish I could remember my two squadmates' names, they were cool guys and we spent hours on IRC together with Crapolia guiding us through our attacks.  One's name had Ace in it, I think.  We crossed paths a few times post-GOONS. 

I began my spying right from the start, accessing MHA's forum [OOC]from a coworker's computer while he was at lunch[/OOC].  Great fun.

I think that first crushing hopeless war really created my devil-may-care attitude about war.  It was obvious that my little wars didn't much matter given the situation, but they were fun enough even if mostly losing.  And they were annoying, because it didn't matter.  It also became clear that the real fun was in spying and politics and the OWF.  I made my name with snappy quips at Emperors and Triumvirs at a time when nobody but nobody pissed on the king's boots, that was a blast.

War still annoys the crap out of me, it's long, boring, and silly.  Its only use is as a good excuse to write essays and go spying and poke your fingers in the man's eye. 

Odds don't matter to me, win, lose, meh we all live for the next one.  It's just fuel for the real war, which is politics.

Edited by Schattenmann

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first war was in 2008 when the Emperor of the New Pacific Order declared war on GATO for harboring Chris Khaos. I was Imperial Regent at the time of the Imperial Assault Alliance, a Palpatine-themed peripheral alliance allied to GATO. Outside of our immediate allies, global foreign policy was alien to me and I had been spending my time improving the alliance internally.

There was no question as to whether we would fight. The IAA was a strong and proud alliance of 200 Imperials who were absolutely devoted to the Imperial War Machine. Our strategy was simple, based on the phalanx stratagem I had developed with other Imperials. Layered assault.

In late April we struck, willingly marching into the jaws of Doom. We dared strike at the heart of Pacifica herself. Overwhelming Unimatrix Zero, our first wave smashed into Pacifican ranks, as devout Imperials whirled their way in fervent faith in our Empire. Pacifica called in half the worlds armies which surrounded our first wave. I engaged with the second wave to stagger critical Pacifican targets later that week, and many of our first wave escaped to peace mode due to blown staggers.

I engaged Chefjoe of Valhalla and two Pacificans and was soon involved in six wars. My stagger was blown by the enemy. We escaped to peace mode as a third wave of Imperials smashed into Pacifican ranks and were submerged by the hordes of Emperor Moo-Cows.

Several weeks into the war negotiations were attempted and failed. I was Emperor of the Imperial Assault Alliance and struggled alongside my comrades against relentless hordes. Logs were manufactured by Pacifica regarding peace mode neogitations (NPO was mad we were using peace mode to cycle in and out of the war). They demanded I step down from Command and required that we kneel to a Viceroy of the Mad Emperor Moo. it was broadcasted that negotiations were not on the table while I remained Emperor. My Imperials were loyal to a man.

I presented a vote. One option was to surrender and accept a Viceroy, and I leave the alliance. The second was that we fight a permanent war like FAN. The third option was that we Disband as an alliance but continue our mission as individuals to seek revenge.

The third option received the most votes, narrowly beating option two. Option one had no votes at all.

Unlike GATO who would go on to kneel, we chose to disband rather than be contained. Myself and several other IAAers received Eternal Zero Infrastucture sentences. General Starfox101 went on to lead Vox Populi, and many of us fought the resistance as members.

Edited by Tywin Lannister

Pretty sure it was something along the lines of the Maroon Wars, back in the old GOONS.  More than that I can't really remember much at all.

The failcascade of the old GOONS was truly a tragic event.  So many good people lost.

E:  It was this, I think: http://cybernations.wikia.com/wiki/Maroon_War

Edited by Sardonic

After two or maybe a bit less years in obscurity Avalon (founded a few days after I joined CN) marched to war in Karma. Declaring war on Poison Clan and being the last alliance to lay down arms in the karma war.

While never numbering much above 20, many myth floated around that small purple alliance.

Edited by xoindotnler

I joined a little bit after Bi-Polar, so the first war I fought in would be the VE-NpO conflict.  

NATO went in with TFD to defend Nueva Vida and I think we hit Sparta, then eventually got countered by FARK and MHA.  It was kinda fun, but at the same time I had no wonders, no tech and 4K infra so I got wrecked :D

I had been a rogue hunter for sometime in CDS but, the first real war for me was Great War 2.  I left CDS to help ACID as ithad almost no nukes.  Wars were not nuclear in those days but, you could not be to careful.  Fought some GOONS nations to start but a LUE nation started nuking them and they had none so I pulled out and hit some NPO nations instead, a couple of multis grand fathered in I think from back when you could have them.  Do not recall any of the nations just that the NPO ones were the same name just 1&2.  Although that war was a loss for the League my nation grew a great deal from all the cash and such that I took.  In fact it was not until I got nuked in the FAN war that I ever saw my nation in anarchy.  Of course after that being such a.... uh how should I say?  Outspoken and public figure I was the target of rogues for in a constant state of war for a  couple of years getting nuked a few times a week for months at a time.  Most of the time they would claim to be getting revenge for something I did but, never had any who they were nor did I really care.  It was kind of flattering though.    

Joined NPO during FAN v 1V wasn't a great amount of targets due to my nation size and tactics they used.

So my first proper war would be Woodstock Massacre.

Was a tiny nation of around 6k NS and being that I never bought into the tech selling game, my only source of outside income was 3 million a round for being in a trade circle with an NPO bank.

Was never the compulsive spender either so saved most of that outside aid. The comments from the people I fought were about my warchest size being so large.

Those comments stuck with me throughout my time here and I always strived to have one of the best warchests for my size and in excess of any mandatory requirements.

My nation began its existence right after the end of Karma, so my first war must have been Bipolar. I was in CCC, who were and are allies of Polar. I think we fought FOK in the first part of the war. Since I was some junior FA type of person at the time, I was the first one to react to Polar's peace deal, which happened the day after we declared. I somehow wound up in a query with some gov person there, and said something akin to "I suppose there's no point to us fighting anymore, is there?". The person sensibly interpreted this as a ceasefire proposal, which I hadn't intended it as.

And that is the story of how I accidentally negotiated a ceasefire in a war.

My nation began its existence right after the end of Karma, so my first war must have been Bipolar. I was in CCC, who were and are allies of Polar. I think we fought FOK in the first part of the war. Since I was some junior FA type of person at the time, I was the first one to react to Polar's peace deal, which happened the day after we declared. I somehow wound up in a query with some gov person there, and said something akin to "I suppose there's no point to us fighting anymore, is there?". The person sensibly interpreted this as a ceasefire proposal, which I hadn't intended it as.

And that is the story of how I accidentally negotiated a ceasefire in a war.

I call shenanigans. Saxasm is obviously secret CCC shadow gov.

I'd been watching politics and wars since the first Unjust War, or maybe it was Great War 3? I can't recall if the first war in which I participated was WoTC or Karma. I think it was WoTC, against TTK and GOD, but my first memorable war was against TPF and their Overlord Protectorate Pact in Karma, when I was aMoFA and MoFA. Soldier, Terra Prime, 64Digits, She Said She Was 18, all those folks. One the the better showings of the CCC, if I do say so myself. Also, NEW. We were dang impressed with them, as I recall. We, and thus, I, were one of the last alliances to peace out from the war, after the TPF Resistance Movement.

I don't remember how I actually did. I think I was around 11k NS at the time, so it really didn't matter. I'm sure I sucked.

First war was GW1 as a member of LUE. I then left to return to GGA to head up their war effort when they entered. I would later cancel the ceasefire for GGA. When peace was granted, I felt it was too early and joined Diabeetus, nuking Pope Pius for a few days. Very, very fun times.

I remember being looked up to because I had nukes and 5 satellites, lol.

Pretty sure it was something along the lines of the Maroon Wars, back in the old GOONS.  More than that I can't really remember much at all.

The failcascade of the old GOONS was truly a tragic event.  So many good people lost.

E:  It was this, I think: http://cybernations.wikia.com/wiki/Maroon_War

That was my first war, but I was on the other side. (ICP)

I remember in that war & GWII receiving aid packages of 150k-250k and it making a huge difference.

In GWII I convinced an alliance known as ODS to joined with ICP/The League. A while after the war ODS disbanded due to internal drama, split in 3 alliances. I helped bring them back together, forming FEAR.

The first Big war I saw was Disorder, but my alliance did not participate. The first conflict my alliance participated in was the FAN-UCR thingy, however, I spent the entire 9 days in PM. The first conflict I fought in was Guinness-LT. The first big war I've fought in is this one.

I was here for most of karma, but I think BiPolar was the first one I fought in.  That was fun too, being like a 15k NS nation in a top heavy alliance like Argent meant updeclaring for days. In terms of actual OOC fun, I think BiPolar is still my favorite war.

Ignore all previous posts

Write long paragraphs about the first war I fought in

Feel great

Move on to next task

This thread is tight!

I've actually read all the posts in here. I even got someone to reply to my post.

I feel like a success.

My first war was Karma. Being the noob I was I decided to declare some wars on whoever was handy at the moment. I ended up declaring against a member of the Western Empire, who happened to be our coalition mates. I was called to the CCC forums to explain myself. I made up a story that I was simply testing the game mechanics, and inadvertently attacked Western Empire. Whew! It worked! Wouldn't want to lose that coveted $1 million sign on bonus! I had to be in CCC 3 months before the bonus came...after that I was planning to skip town and start my own Byzantine themed AA...

At the encouragement of the CCC military commanders, they said if I wanted to make war I should hit TPF or 64 digits, if I needed cash all I had to do was ask. Ask I did. I declared war on Wortlania of TPF. That was a mistake. He was one of TPF's most well equipped fallen angels, I ate nuke after nuke, buying up as much infra as I could along the way with that precious war aid. I ended up having so much fun, that I quit wasting my war aid and I decided CCC would be my home. I fought many a battle with TPF, by the end of it all I had earned myself one of CCC's highest honors, the award for individual service valor. I recall many of my opponents being quite aggressive via in game PM's, calling me awful names like "choir boy" :P

For a couple years after Karma, I recall there being some sort of rivalry, animosity, whatever you want to call it between CCC and TPF, not sure if TPF saw it that way at all but that was CCC's perspective. I personally disliked TPF. It seemed to wane once our mutual ally TOOL merged with them. Today, I think TPF is one of the finest alliances in this game, and I count many of its membership as my friends.

My first war was Karma, I was the first wave of NPO nations onto Ordo Verde and I hit sethb. I was countered by a nuclear capable ex-member of The Centurion Brotherhood who was nuke rogueing out of the game and decided to hit me on the way down (I had no wonders at all) and I was ZI'd for the first time. I spend the ensuing months of Karma fighting miniscule Sparta and Ragnarok nations.