Greek-Russian Diplomacy

Yerushalayim

Callista Lekas had been wary of her assignment to Stalingrad. She'd jockied for the position of ambassador to Malta, and had failed to achieve that post. Rather than simply rejecting her application, however, her superiors had given her a different assignment. Instead of working in the warm familiarity of the Mediterranean, she was instead in the frigid north of Europe. It wasn't all bad, though; she knew the objectives for Russia, and that this assignment could be her chance to shine.

Her aids had already settled into the Greek embassy by the time her meeting with the Russian Foreign Commissar was at hand. She'd had them decorate it in a suitable style, but was reminded immediately of the reality of her situation when she left for her meeting. Though it was colder than she would have liked, she left behind the heavy coat and gloves, for which she was grateful; none of the Russians she passed on the streets were bundled up, and she would have been quite out place in her cold weather gear.

At last she made her way through the streets to the place of her meeting, and found her way inside. She greeted the Russian security in their own language, and left her own men in a lobby, save for a single aid. She stepped into the meeting room and flashed a smile at the Commissar, “Hello. I am Callista Lekas, and this is my assistant.” She held out her hand to the man.

Foreign Commissar Lev Gromyko was a man in his late thirties or late forties, with a high forehead, penetrating gaze that was shaped by years of austerity, and a sharp goatee that everyone in Russia wore. He wore a military-style tunic, pants, and boots.

"Welcome to Russia," he said simply as he shook Callista's hand. "The trip went well, I presume?"
Edited by JEDCJT

• 3 weeks later...

“The trip was quite well, thank you for asking. If you do not mind, I think it is best to get to business. Greece would like to discuss a treaty between Russia and the Hellenic Republic for the purposes of trade and cooperation upon the Black Sea, and military cooperation upon the wider world stage.”

OOC: Sorry for the delay. Been a busy lil Jew lately.

OOC: No worries.

IC:

"All these would be agreeable to Russia, although I would like some elaboration on 'military cooperation'. By this, do you mean cooperation over the Black Sea to combat piracy and prevent any spillover of conflict there? Or is there something else? As for trade, we are willing to take steps to make it easier for goods, products and resources to flow between our nations."

“Certainly we should cooperate to ensure that the Black Sea remains free of piracy and conflict. We would also be interested in a wider reaching agreement. Say, a non-aggression pact, with the option to provide for the other's defense if need be. Economically, Greece can lower tarrifs on Russian shipping through the Bosporus, and give Russia's merchant marine fleet greater access to the Mediterranean. We would also be open to cultural exchange between our peoples.”

“Certainly we should cooperate to ensure that the Black Sea remains free of piracy and conflict. We would also be interested in a wider reaching agreement. Say, a non-aggression pact, with the option to provide for the other's defense if need be. Economically, Greece can lower tarrifs on Russian shipping through the Bosporus, and give Russia's merchant marine fleet greater access to the Mediterranean. We would also be open to cultural exchange between our peoples.”

Gromyko listened to his Greek counterpart before nodding. "Thank you for the clarification. All these would be agreeable to us. Do you have a treaty draft?"

“I can have one faxed over, if you'll just give me the number.” She waited long enough for her counterpart to oblige, and transmitted the numbers to her superiors in the homeland. It didn't take long for a treaty draft to be faxed to the Russians for overview, along with a message indicating Greece's willingness to send its Foreign Minister to sign the treaty on behalf of the Hellenic Republic once the text was agreed upon.