Atlantic Friendships

Centurius

Much like the USNA and UCS the Federation of the Atlantic was another power that had strong ties to the United Kingdom historically, while not much had been attempted in recent history it was the determination of the Foreign Office that it was time for an outreach. As such a message would be sent to the Federation government.

To whomever it may concern,

In line with the historical ties between our two states as well as the cultural and political similarities that persist I would like to formally invite a representative of your government to meet with myself in London to discuss possible relations between the United Kingdom of Great Britain, Ireland and Portugal and the Federation of the Atlantic. Should you accept you will of course be extended full diplomatic privileges.

Sincerely,

The Rt. Hon. Francis Urquhart MP

The message made its way to the office of the President, who made a reply to Prime Minister Urquhart.

Prime Minister Urquhart,

Your proposal is agreeable to me. In light of the historical and cultural links between our two states, the Federation would be interested in pursuing improved relations with the United Kingdom. I shall endeavour to bring the matter up with the Prime Minister at our next scheduled meeting, and Foreign Minister Montgolfier should arrive in London next week.

Sincerely,

William Lyon Evans

President of the Federation

The next week, the Foreign Ministry's 757 arrived at Heathrow carrying Minister for Foreign Affairs, Philippe Montgolfier.

Upon his arrival the Atlantic foreign minister would be received by a delegation of officials from the Foreign Office as well as the Diplomatic Protection Group to protect the UK's guests. From the airport they would be taken to 10 Downing Street and after being given a small tour of the building and its history to the State Dining Room where the Prime Minister awaited them.

"Welcome to the United Kingdom Minister Montgolfier." He said, extending a hand.

Philippe enjoyed the ride through London; it was an iconic city with many landmarks, quite a different capital in philosophy to Ottawa. It was only when the scenery shifted to that of Whitehall that he felt he was somewhere akin to the Federation's capital territory. Once he was in 10 Downing Street standing in a room with the Prime Minister, Montgolfier shook his hand and exchanged greetings.

"Thank you, Prime Minister. It is a pleasure to meet you. President Evans sends his regards." He set his briefcase on the table, and took a seat when it was offered. "My government has a number of basic proposals for improving relations between the Federation and the UK, and we should be able to get through all of them today, as well as yours. Would you like to begin, or shall I?"

• 2 weeks later...

The Minister quietly accepted the tea. Once he'd taken a sip and set it back down, he began. "Thank you. You'll find our proposals are simple, and are essentially what was offered to France several months ago. Given the cultural ties, we would like to initiate a cultural exchange program, as well as exchange diplomatic representation in the form of an embassy exchange and consular representation. Additionally, we would like to propose a loosening of trade and travel restrictions, especially visa restrictions for personal travel between our two states.

My government believes these simple steps are important for improving relations with the UK, and setting the framework for any further steps that may be taken."