Rugen Summit

Californian

"The reason I say that any fleet would be small to begin with is because of the difficulties of building a navy from scratch. I am sure that, given some time, Belarus will be able to field a more sizable force.

On a topic somewhat related to the Baltic, I would like to ask the Nordisk Rike as to what its long-term plans for Northern Poland may be. Your arrival has caused quite a stir in the region. Not necessarily bad thing, but nevertheless a development of note."

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"We deployed there because of the ongoing fighting that was taking place in Poland. We feared that there was a high probablity of it spilling into the Baltic Sea and it would begin to be used to flood weapons and volunteers to aid in the rebellion. We deployed there with the interests to protect and defend the Baltic Sea, and await until someone else could take over command of these provinces, preferable Alvonia recovering their previous territories since it was something that we had discussed, however that relationship may be beginning to strain as of late."

Quaeckernaeck had slipped to the side to receive an important phone call. He would learn that the heir of the late King William IV had been rescued, which he would relay that information to the other participants of the conference with obvious elation before continuing.

"We will support the admission of Belarus into the Nordic Hammer. We look forward to working with you as an ally and partner in Europe. As our friend from the Nordisk Rike notes, we are hopeful that we can be a positive force for good in Europe.

While all members are here, we wish to discuss the recent Polish crisis and relations with Alvonia. We support the agreement between Belarus, Hungary-Slovakia, and Alvonia regarding peace in Poland and we believe that the Nordic Hammer should assist in maintaining that agreement. To that end, we believe a complete ban of Alvonian access to the Baltic and its ports there destabilizes the situation, and we wish to work with the Nordisk Rike to return normalized access as soon as possible."

"While I understand your concerns, I must mention that the nation of Alvonia did directly threaten our nation with war concerning our peacekeeper forces deployed to Poland, while we were allies. This is not something we can look past, they have already destabilized their relations with us, they should be thankful that our troops aren't marching on Vienna as we speak. Until the nation of Alvonia can make amends for this, we are afraid that the security risk of them having a navy within the Baltic Sea is extremely high at this point and time."

He would take a sip of water before continuing. "On another note, a large majority of the population of Mecklenburg-Vorpmmern wish to be a part of your nation. The general idea is to be united with you, and a large majority of them realize our purpose for the landing there is to have a mainland military holding in which to protect the interests of the Baltic, so most of them are not against moving into your nation, so if it is acceptable to the Northlands, we will help relocate them to your territory as well pay for the expenses of rebuilding their homes in your territory as well as cover any costs of the relocation."

Edited by Lysergide

"I can appreciate your comments and feelings especially in light of the situation in Poland. Did Alvonia act aggressively towards other nations, including Belarus who is in the room here? Yes. Did they make inappropriate comments? Based on our interactions with them in the past, I wouldn't doubt it. 

That being said, the ban of Alvonian ships in the Baltic does more harm than good by destabilizing a rather delicate situation. This will only stir feelings of animosity in Alvonia and other European nations that may misconstrue these actions, for little strategic good. Frankly, if Alvonia is foolish enough to want to keep warships in the Baltic and war breaks out between us, those ships would be quickly sunk by the combined Nordisk Rike, Northlandic, and Russian Fleets that are maintained in the area. 

The reality of the situation is that Alvonia is precariously nestled between every single Nordic Hammer nation and regardless of what is thrown around as rhetoric, a conflict would not end well for them. We know this, they know this, the world knows this. There is little need to make a pariah out of the Alvonian state, just look at what Romania did and how well that worked out for them.

We have the opportunity to increase our standing by allowing Alvonian access to the Baltic. If conflict breaks out, let others see that it was not the result of Nordic Hammer escalation but through other's attempts to take advantage of our goodwill. The Northlands maintains relations with Alvonia and we are willing to pursue the lifting of the Baltic blockade with the blessing of other Nordic Hammer nations."

"In regards to the peoples of Vorpommern, we will welcome them with open arms. I will send word to officials in the Northlands and the Free German Protectorate Zone to begin the process of handling an influx of new residents. Your financial contributions would be most certainly appreciated and accepted."

"I understand your points. While we are not willing to conduct diplomacy with them, we are more than willing to allow the Northlands to conduct Diplomacy with Alvonia concerning their rights to be readmitted to use the Baltic. We give you permission to do so. We hope that your negotiations with them are fruitful. We also hope that before anything is signed that you will of course talk with the rest of Nordic Hammer, so that we can approve whatever the negotiations bring fruit to.

Now onto other matters that I think need to be discussed, with the falling out of Alvonia with a large majority of signatories favor, I would like to bring a replacement in mind. Hungary-Slovakia as a potential signatory. While they are a bit distant, and don't have a foot hold and probably won't have a foot hold in the Baltic Affairs, they are a close ally of the Rike's, and they also hold a treaty with Russia and Belarus on a military level.  I would like to know the opinions of the rest of this organization on the possibility of bringing them in."

"We will be meeting with the Alvonians shortly and will keep the rest of the Nordic Hammer informed of any agreements before they are made."

"I believe the Northlands is the only Hammer member that does not have some sort of military agreement with Hungary-Slovakia, though we share a trade and non-aggression pact and are currently leasing them a port off the North Sea. Due to their close ties to all of us, we would be willing to invite them here and discuss this with them, and whether they wish to join."

*Foreign Minister Artur Moric would receive word of the invite to the Rugen Summit, and would arrive by private government jet several hours later.

He would shake hands with everybody before taking his seat.*

Menzhinsky would return the handshake. "Welcome to Rugen as well, it is a pleasure to meet with you here. I look forward to increased cooperation with your nation on matters of mutual interest," he said with a warm smile.

"You were invited her with hopes that you might be interested in joining this Treaty Organization. You already hold a military treaty with Belarus, Russia, and the Nordisk Rike. The only member that you don't hold a treaty with is Northlands, whom the Rike considers a very close ally of ours and a core member. We hope during this meeting you two may get to know each other and with everyone's approval, bring you on board as a member."

"And there is another matter that should be brought to the attention of this organization. The current civil war in going in France. I would like to know everyone's opinions on the matter, and if we should intervene, and if we should intervene on whose side should we do so?"

Edited by Lysergide

An aide would rush into the conference, passing out urgent messages to all those present. Quaeckernaeck, now a sitting member on the King's High Council, would politely interrupt the proceedings.

"Apologies, but we've received word of foreign intervention in Greenland. Although little has been discuss of the island specifically, it is strategically located in the North Atlantic by Nordic Hammer land holdings. The Northlands has begun moving troop and naval assets in the region however we wanted to coordinate our response, if any, with Nordic Hammer nations. 

We believe a wise course of action would be to first secure the parts of Greenland not occupied by any foreign powers to consolidate our position and security for the region. To that end, we request the immediate thoughts of other members and the formation of a unified coalition. We are particularly interested in the support of naval and air assets by the Nordisk Rike and USSR, as well as having all members put boots on the ground over the large, hostile terrain that Greenland presents."

"The flow of Combat vessels is unrestricted through the Danish Straights for all of the Rike's allies. We will also authorize use of all of the Rike's airfields to our allies. As far as naval support goes, our intelligence picked up the actions and already made moves to deal with this. We have already sent our surface fleet of Frigate's as well as an extra surprise that lay beneath the waters to Iceland. Our troops should be landing there shortly, and will begin to set up base of operations on Iceland for us so that we may have unrestricted access to airfields as well as docks for our ships."

"Anyone that doesn't want to send troops doesn't have to. We don't want anyone to feel like they are obliged to send troops there. I would like to however inform our allies that due to our forward position, Iceland has been secured and is ready to be used as a staging point, however we feel that we can not delay on this matter and have already authorized the transportation of troops to begin landing on Greenland. Our fleet will begin moving to cut Confederacy's fleet that is already there from the rest of their nation."

"We would also like to point out, that while these operations are under way, we still have the small issue of the French Civil war going on, I was wondering where everyone lined up on this. if they even consider it an important matter of the state. The Rike has informed me that they would like to get involved, but would like to talk to the rest of Nordic Hammer before making any commitments."