The League of Nations

Captain Enema

The Greek representative had listened to the back and forth, waiting patiently. When at least the Yugoslavian had quieted she spoke directly to the King, “Greece has no objections to observers within the region. We would welcome observers, to ensure that the people of Bulgaria are not abused in the occupation. As for the claims of my compatriot,” she dipped her head to the Slav, “he is correct. An offer was made by Yugoslavia to allow Greek forces into Bulgaria, on the condition that Yugoslavia control the territory. This, if it has not been made clear, is not something Greece will countenance. Bulgaria must remain free from external control, regardless of whether that control comes from the Greeks, or the Slavs.”

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Is it possible a joint protectorate could be arranged that is administered by both of you?"

The King would order the 1st Malta Airborne Brigade to prepare to deploy to Bulgaria to act as observers. 3200 men plus their 1200 man Services and Support Battalion would groan collectively as some of them still have mud on their boots from Poland. Once they quit their complaining they went to work at getting ready for their movement abroad. 

Private

The Councilor from Yugoslavia shook his head as he put his phone back into his pocket, having received various messages that he had read quickly once the Greek representative had finished speaking, "Considering the live reports I just received from the Kingdom with regards to our allies, especially considering the accusations and condemnations that the Kingdom is receiving from unsubstantiated claims of abuse and aggressive acts against innocent Bulgarians from the Hellenic Republic's own government, the Kingdom is now very hesitant to allow the Hellenic Republic to enter into joint administration of the region."

Private

Dražen snorted before straightening his posture, "It is not the Kingdom that is unwilling to cooperate to begin with, we've been nothing but polite, civil and friendly to the Hellenic Republic in anything involving the region of Bulgaria only to receive baseless accusations, unsubstantiated claims of aggressive acts and abuse in the region and generally being treated like the boogeyman of the Balkans if public news clips from Greek sources are anything to go by. I must ask this, why does the region of Bulgaria must be free from all external control? Does the Hellenic Republic not realize that the absence of protection and administration will simply tempt unsavory characters into lawlessness and banditry, increasing the problems that the citizens of the region face already without a national government?" he asked the Hellenic representative.

"Before we get too carried away with ourselves, let's limit the discussion to what each of you is willing to get or give. Too much dialog and rhetoric slung about the landscape in a willy nilly fashion makes it difficult to retract at a later date. It's a negotiation at this point, one with the purpose of averting a potential crisis that need not occur if we speak plainly and avoid letting our emotions rule us. That being said, I'm now going to order Armed Forces Malta Observers to depart for Bulgaria to be based near the former Bulgarian capitol," the King stated and chided at the same time as if he were addressing a room full of unruly school children. 

With that said the 1st Malta Airborne Brigade's Advanced party would begin departing for Bulgaria.

Edited by Tidy Bowl Man

"As no one seems interested in further discussion of a charter for the BSH, I, the king of Malta, will be granting the BSH a Royal Charter. The Charter grants the Royal Maltese White Cross permission to operate the BSH under certain conditions. If there are any concerns, they can be addressed through the Maltese Foreign Office."

Lord Timmermans, unusually quiet at the meeting, would sign the White Cross and the Scales and Red Cross Convent of Valletta treaties on behalf of the Northlands. The League of Nations would be transmitted back home, needing to undergo further review before being officially signed. He would chuckle when he saw the Russian representative, glad to see his ally arrive fashionably late.

He stepped outside onto the balcony with a scotch in hand, looking out at the sights before him and waiting for another diplomat to approach. That was how things worked here, wasn't it?

Lord Timmermans, unusually quiet at the meeting, would sign the White Cross and the Scales and Red Cross Convent of Valletta treaties on behalf of the Northlands. The League of Nations would be transmitted back home, needing to undergo further review before being officially signed. He would chuckle when he saw the Russian representative, glad to see his ally arrive fashionably late.

He stepped outside onto the balcony with a scotch in hand, looking out at the sights before him and waiting for another diplomat to approach. That was how things worked here, wasn't it?

The King decided to call it a day and ordered a glass of Landfallian Death Juice be brought to him on the same balcony. He wandered out after changing into a less formal set of clothes and a shower. He picked up his Death Juice, took a sip, shuddered, and then looked over at Lord Timmons and said, "No matter what people say, Death Juice is just another name for rust remover."

Lord Timmermans turned next to him, familiar with the distinctive stench of Death Juice which permeated the air. He'd drank gallons of the stuff when he had visited Russia and noted with some regret that he had probably exchanged several years of his life to further the relationship with their Russian allies.

He chuckled when the King spoke. "That's what my wife uses it for anyways. Last I checked my stomach wasn't filled with rusty pipes, so here I am enjoying a nice glass of scotch instead." He would extend his hand. "The name's Timmermans, pleasure to meet you."

"Likewise, I'm Gregory, you ever have one of the kitchen's pork sandwiches? Things are too die for, I'm going to order one for myself, I'll have them bring you up one as well. I swear to god they prepare the pork with magic, though the cook swears they use wild pig and slow cook them over the course of an entire day in a fusion of some indeterminable number of spices and seasonings they refuse to identify," the King says as he orders two of them. "So, beyond signing the White Cross and League treaties, what brings you here?"

This man loves his pork he thought to himself as he answered in the affirmative and thanked the King for the pork sandwich he soon to enjoy. He was optimistic as Timmermans always appreciated the taste of something new, which had been harder to achieve after his years of extensively traveling the globe.

Timmermans already knew who the man was even before he had introduced himself. He had been leading the discussions for most of the meeting, although this was the first time he would be engaged in a real conversation with Gregory.

"If I was here only to mindlessly sign some document, I would have flown some intern here on my behalf. These types of engagements have proven in the past to offer the chance to mingle and meet other nations' officials. The Northlands has so far focused mainly on diplomacy in northern Europe, although we've recently been trying to reach out to other nations and the opportunities for cooperation they bring.

The Mediterranean is one such area, and we've been eager to develop warm, if not friendly relations with the other nations in the region. I'm sure you've learned of the Northlands' recent increase in activity on the Spanish coast, and I believe we even discovered Malta and several other nations constructing a base a stone's throw away from Gibraltar. We both seem to be interested in similar things, and perhaps there's a window of opportunity for us to work together, or at least better understand one another."

"So the prospect of geopolitical diplomacy was a compelling reason to come here. And to visit this beautiful island and this most engaging host," he would say as he laughed again. He had offered to talk more with the King, and he waited to see how the man would respond. Now where were those pork sandwiches?

The pork sandwiches are delivered along with a bottle of wine directly from the King's cellar. The wine is poured and the sandwiches served by the King's ancient and cranky butler Simmons. The butler creaks his way out the door knowing the King is about to have a working dinner. With Simmons at the door the two men are assured their privacy. "What are your government's feelings about the bases in Tarifa and Mount Sidi?"

"Cautiously optimistic," he would immediately reply. "Obviously my government would have preferred to have been notified instead of blindly wandering upon the base in Tarifa and some explanation for how you plan to operate these bases and their functions would be a courteous gesture, but their existence is not one of disapproval back in Noordenwind. We've administered Gibraltar for years, I understand the importance of the Strait and the subtleties of the politics associated with ensuring its safety."

"With our recent efforts to secure the Andalusian region and oversee Ceuta, I think the more important question is where you see the future of these bases and the level of cooperation with the Northlands. We're on good terms and have a security treaty with the Greeks, and I think our history with the Baleares has shown the Northlands to be a responsible actor in the Mediterranean eager to work with like-minded nations. Frankly, the Northlands would have jumped at the opportunity to work with you on these bases and if that were still possible, we would hope that we can assist with what you hope to achieve in the area. With our access to local manpower and resources, I think our contribution would be invaluable to your mission."

He would pause, allowing himself to enjoy the delicious food and wine that the kind old Simmons had brought. 

"Athens controlled the region for decades before they fell into chaos. If your government can bring order to disorder, we approve. Of course, we Maltese have our own ambitions, perhaps we should consider consulting each other in the future should we move to expand our borders? I've a few modest designs in mind for future expansion, but I'd be happy to share them with your government if they come close to your current borders." 

"I appreciate your sentiment and fully support your proposal. Consulting with the other prior to future expansions in the Mediterranean neighborhood will decrease any possible ambiguity and is easy to implement. From what I understand the Northlands has no future expansion objectives close to Malta that would be a cause for concern, however we will relay such information in the future should this change."

"Along with this, perhaps we could more formally establish relations through an exchange of embassies and possible trade and friendship treaty between our states."

Edited by Californian

"Those suggestions are acceptable. I will make one further request of a Nonaggression Pact as well with intelligence and aid clauses included. Our spheres of influence intermingle at too many points not to share information that is of importance to the other." 

Edited by Tidy Bowl Man

"Excellent, we very much support those additions as well. I'll let the Foreign Office know of the agreement made here tonight, and a treaty can be sent to Malta for your perusal and signature." He would hold up his wine glass, the wine having been refilled with death juice at some point during their talks. More more cup can't hurt, he thought as he involuntarily shuddered at the smell, instead saying "Cheers! To Malta and the Northlands!"

"Follow me sir," Robin would reply as he would guide the CRNA diplomat to the League CAVE Meeting Room. "Not many people here at the moment, help yourself to a desk. The Government of Malta Foreign Office is currently handling all day to day details of housing and office space until the League organizes itself. No doubt they'll put you up at the Valletta Bed and Breakfast for the time being, 5 star kitchen, excellent security, quiet rooms, and great view of the harbor. Call me directly if you have any questions or need help getting around Valletta," Robin says as he gives the CRNA Diplomat his personal card.

Ryouta Fujimoto, the Imperium's representative would bring up the Alaska Dispute.

"As we are both members of the League of Nations, and in the interest of Articles Two and Four of the treaty signed by Her Imperial Majesty, I would like to formally request mediation in the dispute between the Imperium and Cascadia, in regards to Alaska. Cascadia has issued an ultimatum towards us with the threat of war to withdraw from Alaska. The Imperium's perspective is that Pacific Security is not served by allowing the lands to fall to Cascadia."