Meeting in Washington

supercheese

To: The USNA
"We are interested in opening up formal relations between our two nations. A diplomat will be sent to Washington, should you accept this request. We look forward to meeting you."

A plane carrying diplomat Alexander Bengal would land in Washington shortly after the message. (Feel free to skip to the meeting if you like) Edited by supercheese

The Caribbean diplomat would be taken to the White House after landing at the Ronald Reagan Washington International Airport, from where the DSS would take him to the White House where President Hayes was awaiting.  "Greetings Mr. Bengal and welcome to the United States.  I trust that you had a good flight up?  Would you like a refreshment?  Something to drink?".

"Just water for me, please." Alexander took a seat in the meeting room and sipped his drink before speaking. "Thank you for taking the time to see me Mr. President. I'm a very straightforward man, and I am sure you are very busy so I will cut to the chase. I've come today to hopefully open relations between our nations, but particularly to discuss the Panama canal which is, as a nation based solely in the Caribbean, vital to both the economy and the security of my nation. How would the USNA feel about a treaty granting free and open trade between our nations, particularly giving our shipping industry free access through the Panama canal? This treaty would also ideally include a non-aggression clause, and hopefully build a strong basis for a future friendship between our peoples." Alex took another sip of water as he awaited the presidents response.

Edited by supercheese

"Mr. Bengal, my country views the United Caribbean States as not just our southern neighbors, but as a potentially strong partner in regional and international trade and security issues.  In regards to the Panama Canal, the USNA's stewardship over this vital asset of global trade will ensure the smooth flow of international shipping.  We intend to maintain the previous standard rates for shipping in order to maintain the canal as well as expand operations at the canal zone as the volume of traffic increases.  While I cannot promise completely free transit through the canal we may, after some period of cooperation, be able to an arrangement to implement minimal fees for some of your shipping.  We would be more than happy to come to a free trade and non-aggression agreement in the meantime".

Edited by MostGloriousLeader

"Ok, excellent."

Preamble: This treaty recognizes the intent for the nations of The United Caribbean States, and the United States of North America to cooperate for the betterment of North America.

Article 1: Both Nations agree to not limit in any way trade between our respective nations, to allow the free flow of goods between our nations, and to work together for a greater economic friendship between our nations.

Article 2: Both nations agree to not act in any way aggressive or counter productive to eachother. Both nations also agree to attempt to work together peacefully if a situation warrants it.

Article 3: If, for what ever reason, a signatory decides to cancel on this treaty they must give a 48 hour notification, during which this treaty will renain active.

Signed for the USNA

Signed for the UCS

"How does this look?"

OOC: I kinda suck at writing treaties lol

• 4 weeks later...