discussion: protectorates

Hereno

we need to do something about protectorates

the entire fucking map is a protectorate where it isn't owned land

at the very least, we need to go back and change it to where protectorates don't allow people to arbitrarily say people can't roll into them because they made one post and now they OOC control who can roll into 3 continents (hi lynneth)

I think this sort of reflects the reality of some, that they viewed CN RP 2 not as a way of doing business different than CN RP 1, but to put themselves in a position where they could do what they were unable to because of a greater force doing the same thing in 1.  Personally I think the idea of a 'Shotgun' approach to protectorates and totally controlling the territory is ridiculous.  I also think that there should be garrisoning penalties for protectorates.  If you're having a protectorate, you need to you know... protect it.

Alternatively, we could actually modify the rules to allow for easier removal of people only rolling into a region for provocative reasons, then nobody would need protectorates.

We have a GM team with the capability to wipe entire nations and events at the snap of their fingers. Moderation issues should not be handled by single, unaccountable players, who hold the positions based on IC events. There is a genuine IC use for protectorates: denial of area. It is not ridiculous for someone to put troops in white space around them to better protect it from invasion by hostile powers. But it is ridiculous for that white space to then function as if it were a part of that person's nation wherein nobody can *actually* roll into the white space without asking. The fact that I cannot roll into three continents, plus Greenland and the Caribbean, because one player does not like me, is not just game-breaking but absolutely shameful. You say you don't want the IC/OOC line to cross: here is your opportunity to fix it. I couldn't go back and play my nation from before - my entire nation is effectively dead - because one player doesn't want me to be able to play it. No war. No fight for survival. Nothing. He just doesn't like me and so now my nation is gone. And if you don't see something wrong with this, I hope that you go inactive enough for Japan to turn into white space and are then denied the ability to come back and RP it again because Mael or Vektor or whoever is protecting it has decided you shouldn't be able to RP as the nation you've been playing.

I would expect exactly that to happen, yes, unfortunate consequence of going inactive, it is the same reason FHIC was denied maintaining Snow Haven as part of her nation, I would suspect due to the wording of the NWO, regardless of Lynneth's existence as a nation, it would continue, and the African League has the same sort of thing built into it as well.

Edited by Mogar

Remember when protectorates were used to keep countries that were already established from expanding. Then they became the first step toward expanding. Now they're an ooc tool in an rp where the nobody uses ooc as a justification for their rp actions. I love the world we live in. God bless our New Founding Fathers and CNRP2, a RP reborn.

Remember when protectorates were used to keep countries that were already established from expanding. Then they became the first step toward expanding. Now they're an ooc tool in an rp where the nobody uses ooc as a justification for their rp actions. I love the world we live in. God bless our New Founding Fathers and CNRP2, a RP reborn.

Yeah but those countries weren't the paradises of today.