Fantasy RP?

Lysergide

So I am not going to pretend to be terribly good at this, but I had some feedback from others, and talks about it so I figured I would give it a shot. Making a Sword and Shield RP with a little bit of fantasy for you weirdos (Maelstrom). Figured I would post it up, see what people thought, and get feedback from those that are interested.

Basic Map:

http://imgur.com/4S61m3S

4S61m3S.png

I suppose I should say Coastal Water is Calm, and anything in light blue is calm, dark blue is rough water.

Rules:

Point based RP, with 100 Points Attributed to each RPer to distribute how they wish.

Technology

All technology is Relative to the Time Eras of History. If something isn't listed and was used during a metalurgy era listed below it does not mean you cannot use it, the listed are only the most common examples, if you can provide sources to the usage of such weapons or other such technology you are free to use it. Such things as Siege Weapons are all relative to the time era.

2 Points - Stone -Wooden Spears with Stone Ends, Stone Axes, Copper Axes(More a Status Symbol), Stone Arrowheads for Primative Short Bows, Wooden Clubs, Leather Armor, Wooden Shields. All Examples, other such weapons that would exist with this level of technology are acceptable.

8 Points  -  Bronze - Bronze Swords, Wooden Spears with Bronze Ends, Bronze Axes, Bronze Mace, Bronze Arrowheads for Composite Bows and others, Cast Bronze Plates for Armor, Wooden Shields with Bronze Outer Layer. All Examples, other such weapons that would exist with this level of technology are acceptable.

15 Points - Iron - Iron Swords, Wooden or Iron Spears with Iron Ends, Iron Axes, Iron Maces, Iron Arrowheads for Longbows and others, Iron Chain Mail or Iron Plates for Armor, Iron Shields. All Examples, other such weapons that would exist with this level of technology are acceptable.

20 Points - Steel - Steel Swords, Iron or Steel Spears with Steel Ends, Steel Axes, Steel Maces, Steel Arrowheads for Bows, Steel Chain Mail or Steel Plate Mail, Steel Shields. All Examples, other such weapons that would exist with this level of technology are acceptable.

30 Points - Crucible Steel - (Requires Tempered Metals) Crucible Steel Swords, Crucible Steel Spears with Crucible Steel Ends, Crucible Steel Axes, Crucible Steel Maces, Crucible Steel Arrowheads for Bows, Crucible Steel Chain Mail or Crucible Steel Plate Mail, Crucible Steel Shields. All Examples, other such weapons that would exist with this level of technology are acceptable.

Separate Research

5 Points - Tempered Metals (Not Re-searchable with Stone or Bronze)

5 Points - Folded Metals (Requires Tempered Metals)

Application of Stat Bonuses

All Researchable Metalurgy as well as Seperate Researches apply to Efficiency of your Soldiers.

None - 0%, Ex. 50,000 = 50,000

Stone - 1% Ex. 50,000 = 50,500

Bronze - 2% Ex. 50,000 = 51,000

Iron - 3% Ex. 50,000 = 51,500 | Tempered Iron - 4% Ex. 50,000 = 52,000 | Folded Tempered Iron - 5% Ex. 50,000 = 52,500

Steel - 4% Ex. 50,000 = 52,000 | Tempered Steel - 5% Ex. 50,000 = 52,500 | Folded Tempered Steel - 6% Ex. 50,000 = 53,000

Crucible Steel - 6% Ex. 50,000 = 53,000 | Folded Crucible Steel - 7% Ex. 50,000 = 53,500

Cavalry and Chariots - .5% On top of any other bonuses they would otherwise gain.

Population and Army Size

Population will be based on how many points you invest into it.

1 Point = 100,000 Population

Amount of Soldiers in your military pool will be based on a fixed scale of 10% of your population.

100,000 Population = 10,000 Soldiers towards your Pool.

Cavalry and Chariots will take up 2 Soldier Spots.

Ex, 20,000 Military Pool with 5,000 Cavalry Will leave you with 10,000 Left in your Military Pool.

Siege Weapons will take up 100 Soldier Spots.

Ex, 20,000 Military Pool with 100 Siege Weapons will leave you with 10,000 left in your Military Pool.

Navy

Naval Development Capabilities will be based on what you spend points into, and be based on a principle of 1 Ship for every 10,000 Population you have. These are only larger vessels and do not include Canoes or other such small vessels.

5 Points - Calm Water Transport - The Ability to Carry Large Amounts of Soldiers/People across large bodies of Calm Water, allows building of Calm Water Transport Vessels. This does not prevent one from engaging in Naval Warfare, it would just require two boats to be next to each other, and would require the boarding of the other vessel.

10 Points - Calm Water Warfare - Allows for the creation of Calm Water Battle Capable Vessels such as Triremes.

10 Points - Rough Water Transport - Allows for the creation of Vessels that can transport Large amounts of Soldiers/People across Large Bodies of Rough Water. This does not prevent one from engaging in Naval Warfare, it would just require two boats to be next to each other, and would require the boarding of the other vessel.

5 Points - River Capable Vessels - (Requires Calm Water Transport and Rough Water Transport) Allows for Vessels capable of traveling on Calm Waters, Rough Waters, and to travel up Rivers. Example being the Longship.

Fortifications

5 Points - Mud/Dirtworks - Allows for the creation of Mud/Dirtwork Fortifications for cities and Forts.

10 Points - Wooden - Allows for the creation Wooden Walls and Fortifications for Cities and Forts.

20 Points - Stone - Allows for the Creation of Stone Walls and Fortifications for Cities and Forts.
Edited by Lysergide

I like the idea of a swords and shields RP but it has been tried before in the past and as like then would likely die off shortly after starting as interest waxes among the participants. Also why does everything have to be points or stats based can't we just have an RP setting where there people can just write as they wish with the only time for any rules or GMs being included being for if someone is obviously trying to be over powered or god modding.  

What I would suggest, Lyser, is a RP set somewhere around the 15-1600's because that is right when exploration was at its peak in the New World. I would also suggest you use the real world map because from what I have seen, alternative maps never do work. Meet this criteria, and i'm in.

Edited by Ferdinand Foch

As participation [b]wanes[/b]*...

In truth, this is the RP I wish we were getting when Uber made his non-modern RP. I do agree that we ought to use a real-world map, but I'd be more than okay with completely divorcing it from RL otherwise (ie. no valid CBs of "we owned this years and years ago").

I also agree that it might be better to fast-forward into the age of gunpowder. Have it where guns are arms for elite soldiers in the best-equipped armies, and require the majority of persons to fight with bows/arrows/spears/horses/etc. Small states would get a relative advantage in that a larger number of their soldiers would have guns, whereas larger states could still easily overwhelm them with sheer manpower.

Kevin, as cool as a swords & shields would be, it would not work. The main "swords & shields" concept is that in Europe, so everybody would be fighting over that one continent, and which, if you remember, at the time all these nations were empires with large pieces of land, so only a couple nations would be able to fit. Also, the New World was not yet discovered. Muskets A.K.A 17-1800's is perfect for any time period behind CNRP40.

Except that people really don't need to claim to be a whole massive Empire, in fact anyone claiming to be Britain, Portugal or any other major European nation would have an advantage during the 17-1800's. It can still be a global RP without having to revert to real life nations for a swords and shields setting. 

Kevin, as cool as a swords & shields would be, it would not work. The main "swords & shields" concept is that in Europe, so everybody would be fighting over that one continent, and which, if you remember, at the time all these nations were empires with large pieces of land, so only a couple nations would be able to fit. Also, the New World was not yet discovered. Muskets A.K.A 17-1800's is perfect for any time period behind CNRP40.

I lol'd. I do not get how you got that idea. You might want to look at a map of Europe during the High Medieval Age.

There were Duchy's that were more powerful than Kings a lot of times. Germany was heavily fractured. Most nations had huge divisions in them even if they were unified.

So, how about this, using this idea as a template, you discuss among yourselves what you want for a technology era, I will say I am rather fond of the idea of 1600-1800's, but whatever you decide upon, I will make a rule set for it with a point system. 

And on the issue of points. Points are issued to build the nation, and to provide the limits for each nation, that does not require you to ever be at those limits, your RP could decide how things were run. It is just a relative balancing system for those that require hard stats for the RP.

There would be a base point system, and I had tossed it around in my head about dividing territories into Provinces, and people would start with a singular province, and additional provinces would provide additional points. While this is a bit towards the Risk end, it would also force people to engage in RP in order to take provinces. And White Space doesn't magically fall, there would be standing armies obviously of NPC's.

You would really be moving back to the technology and development debates versus time arguments. And wars aren't with numbers, they are generally won with strategy, the points system of it just adds elements of restrictions towards the nation. The idea that RP dictates everything you have means there are no limits.

Edited by Lysergide