Community Timeline

Voodoo Nova

When people have disagreements about logistics, economic growth, etc, the argument usually comes down to people with differing time conversions. I've seen Mogar with his 1 month = 3 years and Eva has 1 month = 1 year. Others, like me, simply move a RP story along appropriate lines as we see fit for story development. Therefore, I want to start a discussion on 1) whether or not we should have a community "timeline" (specifically for military or otherwise) and 2) what should that timeline be if we want one.

What does the community think?

Edited by Voodoo Nova

I've seen some pretty good forum rps with static timelines. One with the best flow for me that I've experienced had a timeline of 1 day is equal to roughly 2 weeks. I typically rp as 1 day equals a week in cnrp 2. I would be in favor of a community standard and I'm not really picky as to what it is so long as it no longer permits the manipulation of time in an attempt to metagame.

Others, like me, simply move a RP story along appropriate lines as we see fit for story development.

I think this is the only timescale anybody needs or should employ. Honestly, the only time timescale comes up as a legitimate issue is when people try to force it to be an issue, since otherwise, it's really not a problem at all. If anything, attempting to get everybody under a single concrete timescale will cause more issues.

The above has not been my experience at all. I have been in rps with static timelines and I see way more problems with things getting disjointed in this community than in those. But that's probably because the people involved weren't trying to actively manipulate the time stream to metagame as is not the case in this community.

But that's probably because the people involved weren't trying to actively manipulate the time stream to metagame as is not the case in this community.

I don't see anybody doing that. Certainly not in Asia, where you attempted to freeze the war.

Edited by dotCom

Another problem of course that crops up is GMs and more specifically waiting for said GMs to do spy rolls, if we used the 1 day = 2 weeks time line then if it took two days for a Gm to do the spy roll then four weeks have passed by. This could cause problems where someone is making a spy roll to find a target's location and by the time the spy roll is done the target could have very likely moved on.  

Another problem of course that crops up is GMs and more specifically waiting for said GMs to do spy rolls, if we used the 1 day = 2 weeks time line then if it took two days for a Gm to do the spy roll then four weeks have passed by. This could cause problems where someone is making a spy roll to find a target's location and by the time the spy roll is done the target could have very likely moved on.  

In the event of a pending gm ruling, things would just be frozen until the events could catch up, that simple really. We'd just have to give up our wish for instant gratification. We do need very active GMs thoguh. Keep that in mind during elections.

In the event of a pending gm ruling, things would just be frozen until the events could catch up, that simple really. We'd just have to give up our wish for instant gratification. We do need very active GMs thoguh. Keep that in mind during elections.

Except not everyone wants to have to wait too long, not wishing to wait is the reason I so suddenly killed off the commandos in my little raid. I have no wish to sit around waiting for days.

Also I know that some of the anit-Triyun coalition have used the time freeze/jump to their advantage as well as Belarus I believe just moved a whole mass of troops to Yugoslavia in what is supposedly have been a half hour period. So it isn't restricted to one side alone.    

Considering it's putting me without my entire fleet essentially, and over 100 aircraft, I'd say me involvement in the war is relevant to you attacking me.

First of all, let's not forget that I'm not attacking you; I'm merely defending myself from your aggression.

Secondly, if Triyun is OOCly delaying your war with him for petty reasons, then simply proceed as if he hadn't done anything IC, which is essentially the case. He may be gaming the system OOCly, but you guys could very easily ignore that ICly and just steamroll him. Really doesn't have to be that complicated.

Except not everyone wants to have to wait too long, not wishing to wait is the reason I so suddenly killed off the commandos in my little raid. I have no wish to sit around waiting for days.

Also I know that some of the anit-Triyun coalition have used the time freeze/jump to their advantage as well as Belarus I believe just moved a whole mass of troops to Yugoslavia in what is supposedly have been a half hour period. So it isn't restricted to one side alone.    

Slovakia, and those movements had begun before the war broke out, Eva just sort of forced the issue.

First of all, let's not forget that I'm not attacking you; I'm merely defending myself from your aggression.

Secondly, if Triyun is OOCly delaying your war with him for petty reasons, then simply proceed as if he hadn't done anything IC, which is essentially the case. He may be gaming the system OOCly, but you guys could very easily ignore that ICly and just steamroll him. Really doesn't have to be that complicated.

We can both play the defensive argument since you annexed my protectorate without asking me, but that is an argument I'm not going to repeat as I've made my case to Ty and it is up to him to decide what to do there.

Unfortunately, by asking for an autoadvance the entire hegemony coalition would start whining and add another 5 pages to the Euro Conflict OOC, so rather than do that, we'll let him take as long as he wants, so long as everyone is ok with the entire world being paused for the next 6 months because he wants to use delaying tactics.

We can both play the defensive argument since you annexed my protectorate without asking me, but that is an argument I'm not going to repeat as I've made my case to Ty and it is up to him to decide what to do there.

Unfortunately, by asking for an autoadvance the entire hegemony coalition would start whining and add another 5 pages to the Euro Conflict OOC, so rather than do that, we'll let him take as long as he wants, so long as everyone is ok with the entire world being paused for the next 6 months because he wants to use delaying tactics.

It was never your protectorate. The people voted to join Uriankhai and the EAI chose to attempt to trample the will of the people through espionage. Therefore, this is not only a war of aggression on your part, but in fact also a war of oppression.

That being said, I'm not okay with the entire world being paused because Triyun is delaying the RP and you're not willing to disregard that and steamroll him. The fun thing about irrelevant OOC whining is that you can completely ignore it, because it's irrelevant.

If "hegemony" really wants us to request an autoadvance, we could do that I suppose rather than waiting their reply.

Agreed: The way I see it is that Triyun can either post the stuff the others are waiting for him to post.

Or we do the autoadvance right over it!