An Envoy to Sparta

Evangeline Anovilis

Confidential

As the Romanian Army conducted its offensive in the Banat, Constante sent a special envoy to Sparta. Ion Prezan had already been the envoy to conclude the first alliance between Sparta and Bucharest. In order to increase protection against interception, the communique would not be encrypted and sent electronically, but would be transmitted via analogous ink on paper handwritten message, carried by the envoy in his pocket, together with a lighter, if it was necessary to destroy the letter on the way. Immune to jamming or listening in, the message itself lacked any encryption, except being handwritten.

To the King of the Spartans,

As your actions have shown a willingness to not betray our old friendship with Romania, our country would like to thank you for your noble loyalty to our old bonds. Further, I would like to offer however the restoration of the formal alliance between our countries, which has served both of us well and which might help us both also in the future. Should you be receptive to such an offer, an envoy has been sent with this communique, so as to represent our country at your court.

With regards,

Mihaela Constante

A confirmation of receipt would be sent back to Romania and preperations were made to accomodate Ion Prezan in Sparta to meet with the King. Standard security checks would follow the arrival of the Romanian diplomat before they were shown into the kings seat of power just outside the city of Sparta.

OOC

Skip to the meeting

Ion Prezan would approach the King. As one of the elder statesmen of Romania, Prezan was a pretty high-ranking envoy. His appointment to talk to the Spartans was not a coincidence. "King of the Lacedaemonians, please let me express you our heartfelt gratitude for your stand against the Yugoslav Kralj. In this world, where we find ourselves abandonned at the worst of hours by most long-standing allies, it is quite good to see that others remember the friendship. And Bucharest would not want to let this go to waste. The government at home wish to restore an alliance with Sparta, and to regain a loyal and trustworthy ally."

After a polite bow out of gratefulness, Prezan would make a less joyful expression, as he went on. "Especially in the times we are in now. I doubt I need to tell you, how tense the continent is, and how one moment of carelessness can cause one's demise. We did trust Yugoslavia in the past to be friends, despite their opposing views, but they have seen it ft to cast us away and rather prepare our grave. I think, it does pain many of us that we are now at war, but... what can one do, if one has too much self-respect to just roll over and die?"

'I think Romania is being a little more than over dramatic. Yugoslavia has never presented a threat to anybody, lets be honest. Whilst their King was a wily and wise man, his plotting got him thrown into a Spartan jail on charges of trying to incite Europe and African wide war. You don't arrest a man for asking you to stab your friends in the back.' said Alexander.

'Romanias treaty web ensured Yugoslavia would of been kept in check, but I must say, once again, Romania immediately went to the military option after an ultimatum as opposed to diplomatic negotiation, so let me ask you this. What does Sparta gain for having the risk of a military confrontation with any state which Romania takes offense to before diplomacy and negotiation even have a chance to be discussed as an option?' he continued.

'Sir, I do not mince words, I am a blunt man so take no offence to my words, but you must see things from our point of view. Whilst Sparta is arguably the instigator for the conflict now erupting on my borders, why exactly is Romania at war with Yugoslavia in an offensive capacity? Their King is in prison, they are leaderless and weak and whilst you have come to see me now, why did Romania not consider the implications of sending its fleet through Spartas sphere of influence and then invading Yugoslavia without so much as a heads up. It shows a sincere lack of respect for our state, unless of course I am being too sensitive to the massing of military forces so close to Sparta?'

'We were allies and friends once, and I hold dearly to the relationship forged between my predecessor and Romania, but there must be a mutual respect between our states if we are to return to such a close relationship.'

"Wily, maybe... but I think a wise person would be seeing better accommodation than a prison cell. I agree, Yugoslavia posed no existential threat in the past few years, but why did it not? Because we prevented them from doing so. Because, I do not know how Sparta works its diplomacy, but we in Bucharest think, the best way to solve a problem, is to prevent it from existing in the first place. To this end, the attack on Yugoslavia serves a single rationale, that is - We curb them now, before they actually become an issue. and who knows, the Yugoslavs already have allies. They might already be more than troublesome now.", Prezan stated, frowning at the King's words.

"Yugoslavia had its diplomacy. It had years of interaction with us up to this point. No less than three diplomatic meetings have been arranged. The last meeting we had with them, was pretty indicative of Yugoslavia having no intention whatsoever of working with us, after we refused to drop Carthage in favour of the Kralj's little crusade against them. You may say we acted harsh, and aggressive, but we do not act randomly. Sometimes, it is a certain firm stance that is needed to get a point across."

"Now, on your last point, I have no idea how to comment. Are you criticising us for having used the most opportune moment to striking the Yugoslavs? Well, I think such should have been expected, given we actually care about sacrificing as little of our people as is necessary to secure our future. And if you want to say our actions were cowardly and not in the spirit of fairness, I think I should remind you that it is not Romania, who gunned down a handful guards and imprisoned the Kralj of the South Slavs. So, let's not be moralists here, for I think neither of us should pretent to have the highground over the other. You took advantage of the Kralj's relative weakness during his visit to further your interests in peace, our country took advantage of Yugoslavia's weakness to further our agenda of keeping our country safe. And if you want us to give Sparta a heads-up before we march into yugoslavia, I would think you should expect such after there is a formal treaty, that binds us. As you said yourself, you arrested the man not for us and we do see here that you do not think too highly of our country. Do you still ask me why we did not inform you about an impending invasion of Yugoslavia? You must be kidding, your Majesty."

"The relationship between us and your predecessor was one of mutual respect and shared opinions and objectives. If we want to restore this relationship, we can. But it should be clear that if it fails, it is because your country changed, not ours. It might be useful to keep such in mind. We do not ask our allies to assist in offensives they have not been informed on. But we do hold the view that we rather act harsh, if the situation asks for it, rather than getting punished for not doing so later."

As a last note, Prezan would state. "Romania does not attack for no reason. We have no interest in the lands of our neighbours. But Romania defends her position as a free state and we will use the means at our disposal to do so. yugoslavia is now getting invaded, because they saw it fit to try to ferry in forces to strengthen their power in Europe to the point they could compell us and Carthage to do their bidding. I think you saw first-hand, that the territorial integrity and sovereignity of our country was secondary to their objectives. But the Kralj played his cards wrong, he sits in your dungeons, we sit in his fields, for we see no reason to respect his sovereignity, when he merely uses it to carve up our lands. There is a time for diplomacy, it was in Bucharest and Belgrade, over tea and cake. But now... now I think it is the time to fight for our survival as a sovereign state, that can exist without having to worry about their pesky neighbour stabbing them in their sleep."