Diplomatic Communique

Yawoo

To: The Commonwealth of Massachusetts

McrP3Cs.jpg?1

Sir,

By The Grace of God, Emperor of the Swedes, Norwegians, Goths/Geats, Wends and Finns, Carl Oscar Gustav, has proclaimed the lands of Greenland, Iceland, the Faroe Islands and Denmark to be under the protection of the nations of the Scandinavian Union. Naval forces of His Majesty are enroute to the Greenlandic coast to enforce the full sovereignty and liberty of Greenland's inhabitants. While we wish no quarrel, nor harm upon the citizens of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, we must insist your forces operating in, around and near Greenlandic waters, airspace and land withdraw back to their homeland. Further, the Commonwealth of Massachusetts needs to recognize the legitimacy of the Greenlandic government and rescind any and all claims to the aforementioned protected territories. 

With Cordial Regards,

Harald Ericsson, Esq.

Assistant Minister for Northern American Relations

Ministry for Foreign Affairs

Swedish Empire

Dear Sweden,

Let's get something really straight, sir. As much as I understand that it is rightfully yours, the point is you may not attempt to take the land from us. You must also think of the politics of your recent move and realize that it does not make any sense. We were there months before you had even started going to Greenland. We do recognize the Greenland government, just under the overall protection of the Commonwealth. As much as I respect your nation, I am finding it very difficult to respect your most recent move of attempting to "poach" lands already liberated and protected by the Commonwealth. We have documents to prove our existence on the island and many people on the island to specify to you our attendance. Hopefully we may solve this issue without extreme measures.

Sincerely,

Calvin Coolidge, President

President Coolidge,

It is encouraging to see you accept the Swedish Empire's rightful claims of protection over Greenland. Unfortunately, the Commonwealth of Massachusetts has invaded, and is in the process of, occupying a nation under the protection of the states comprising the Scandinavian Union. Massachusetts has failed to announce, ratify or otherwise legally issue a decree, proclamation or other herald of its peaceful intentions prior to an invasion of a sovereign, independent nation.  What has occurred, in the absence of an internationally recognized peacekeeping operation, is the aggressive invasion of thousands of foreign troops onto Greenlandic soil.

My Emperor's decree can be held up beyond contestation in the eyes of an open and just world body. I must once more, and quite firmly, insist your forces operating in, around and near Greenlandic waters, airspace and land withdraw back to their homeland. Further, the Commonwealth of Massachusetts needs to recognize the legitimacy of the Greenlandic government and rescind any and all claims to the aforementioned protected territories.

President Coolidge, the continued occupation of Greenland by Massachusettians will neither be accepted nor tolerated. 

With Cordial Regards,

Harald Ericsson, Esq.
Assistant Minister for Northern American Relations
Ministry for Foreign Affairs
Swedish Empire

It is unfortunate that you feel the way you do. However, not in one book or map does it have Greenland as part of your territory, a protectorate, or its own nation. Furthermore, since it is located in North America rather than Europe, you are making a claim of land belonging to every single nation in the Americas. This, is not tolerated. Not to sound rude, but I could honestly not care less that it is your "rightful" claim. In modern politics, this does not matter sir. Modern politics does not make land reservations like you would for a table at a restaurant. Whoever is on the land first, owns it. However, since you do not seem to understand moden political boundaries, rather than either of us using force, I strongly recommend we negotiate before using force, as that would not be beneficial for either of us.

Coolidge, President of the Commonwealtnh

President Coolidge,

I fear you will be in for quite the surprise if you think American states will justify or defend your aggressive actions. It is the Swedish Empire, not the Commonwealth of Massachusetts that has declared, in an open and much observable release, the protection of Greenland. American nations have their hands full in the Caribbean and any escalation up north may, unfortunately, lead to a global conflict, as more states push their causes into the realm of war. 

Your forces have one week to vacate Greenlandic territory via unarmed transports. Any attempts to reinforce or otherwise supply your troops will be seen as aggressive actions. Negotiations may begin when Greenland is not under the jackboots of Massachusetts' aggression. 

Respectfully,

Captain Aari Sigurdardóttir

Assistant Defense Minister for Northern American Relations

Ministry of Defense

Swedish Empire

How is this aggresion? We are not making threats, and we were there first. We are asking for negotiation! How is negotiation aggression? We are attempting to solve this peacefully, while you just made a threat towards us and our people. I once again think you do not understand what we want out of this. It seems to me at least, that you want land, not protecting these innocent people. My proof is simple, if you wanted to protect them, you wouldn't start a war on there island, as that would be the opposite of protection. If you would give us time to think about your "1 week" offer, it would be very much appreciated as long as you understand that you are taking terrirory that belongs to the continent of North America. That will not be accepted by us or any other American country.

-Coolidge

President Coolidge,

There will not be any further time allotted, your one week timetable began upon your acceptance of my previous transmission. 

Respectfully,

Captain Aari Sigurdardóttir
Ministry of Defense
Swedish Empire

Look, sir. I respect your right to the lands, seriously, I do. I respect peoples rightful claims, however I also respect political claims. Now, I do not want my innocent soldiers or the innocent people of Greenland injured or killed because of refusal to negotiate on both of our sides. However, I do want to remain having a valuable colony, per say, on the island. Allow the Commowealth of Massachusetts to remain actions in the town of Nuuk, Greenland as a colony for us, as long as we do not leave the city boundaries without direct permission from Sweden. If you allow this, I assure you that we will follow the terms and give the utmost respect to the people of Nuuk. We will annex Nuuk in the future, no other land. In conclusion, I will request you do not attempt to claim any other American land outside of Greenland. I will thank you in advance, please do not make this any more complicated than it already is, take the deal. This is beneficial for the both of us.

Sincerely,

Calvin Coolidge of Massachusetts

President Coolidge,

Nuuk is the capital of Greenland, not a colonial possession to be acquired and owned by an invading army. While we do not condone colonialism - regulating such tendencies to the barbarism of history, my Emperor is prepared to put this conflict behind our two nations by extending a Non-Aggression Pact and the ability for Massachusettsian military vessels the use of Tasiilaq harbor- providing such traffic does not endanger the native inhabitants. The Commonwealth, must however, remove all its land (and air) forces from Greenland, and recognize Sweden's rightful, and historic, claims over the territory. 

Respectfully,

Ministry of Defense
Swedish Empire

Due to the movement of naval forces not far from American shores, the comments made by Massachusetts' president regarding the dispute with Sweden over Greenland at the Kingston conference, the conclusion of a free trade treaty and non-aggression pact with Sweden, and the threat that the dispute potentially posed to the free movement of goods and products that underpinned the American economy in the international economic order, the American Commonwealth would react.

State Department officials would contact the Massachusettian government and urge them to reconsider their position over Greenland and withdraw their forces from there, stating that the vast frozen chunk of ice that masqueraded as an island was not worth the loss of life and property that a shooting war between Massachusetts and Sweden would entail. To deal with possible accusations of hypocrisy - after all, the American Commonwealth had worked with Mexico and other North American nations to try to reduce foreign influence in the Americas - Philadelphia would argue that although Greenland was physiographically a part of North America, it was politically and culturally associated with Europe, and no amount of words or threats could change what had existed for well over a millennium. And not to mention, many Greenlanders were more receptive to the Swedish crown than any American leaders. If Sweden wanted to protect Greenland, and if the Greenlanders desired Swedish protection, so be it. 

To reassure the Massachusettians, and to encourage them to drop their claims on Greenland, a red line would be drawn at Greenland. If foreign nations thought that Greenland was a carte blanche to establish or expand foreign holdings in North America, the Commonwealth would prove them wrong, with military force if necessary. What went unsaid by Commonwealth officials was that if Massachusetts refused to reconsider its position, the Commonwealth was prepared to take necessary actions such as imposing economic sanctions upon Massachusetts.
Edited by JEDCJT

Due to the movement of naval forces not far from American shores, the comments made by Massachusetts' president regarding the dispute with Sweden over Greenland at the Kingston conference, the conclusion of a free trade treaty and non-aggression pact with Sweden, and the threat that the dispute potentially posed to the free movement of goods and products that underpinned the American economy in the international economic order, the American Commonwealth would react.

State Department officials would contact the Massachusettian government and urge them to reconsider their position over Greenland and withdraw their forces from there, stating that the vast frozen chunk of ice that masqueraded as an island was not worth the loss of life and property that a shooting war between Massachusetts and Sweden would entail. To deal with possible accusations of hypocrisy - after all, the American Commonwealth had worked with Mexico and other North American nations to try to reduce foreign influence in the Americas - Philadelphia would argue that although Greenland was physiographically a part of North America, it was politically and culturally associated with Europe, and no amount of words or threats could change what had existed for well over a millennium. And not to mention, many Greenlanders were more receptive to the Swedish crown than any American leaders. If Sweden wanted to protect Greenland, and if the Greenlanders desired Swedish protection, so be it. 

To reassure the Massachusettians, and to encourage them to drop their claims on Greenland, a red line would be drawn at Greenland. If foreign nations thought that Greenland was a carte blanche to establish or expand foreign holdings in North America, the Commonwealth would prove them wrong, with military force if necessary. What went unsaid by Commonwealth officials was that if Massachusetts refused to reconsider its position, the Commonwealth was prepared to take necessary actions such as imposing economic sanctions upon Massachusetts.

Dear America and Sweden,

Look.  me and my nation respect your historic ties to Greenland. I refuse to call it rightful because the only ties Sweden has had was as Nordic thousands of years ago. This is like saying that the American Commonwealth has the right to all of America because of the name and the fact that it is located there.

In regards to your formal letter, America. All I want is a good colony in a good location to expand influence. We tried Haiti, but Mexico is not happy, we try Greenland, Sweden is not happy. We were their first. However, you must also understand that there would be a greater chance of us leaving, because of a reputation. We just leave even though we were there first, then people will try to keep comign to places after we get there, and claiming it just as you do. Then we use valuable land. I just want a portion of Greenland that is large enough to establish a good colony. Make it one of the provinces to the north, south, west, I honestly do not care at this point. Your nation, as well as many other nations in this world, are terrible negotiators and it is aggrevating me that we came first, then someone else comes and takes it from us and everyone sides with them. The intelligence of the modern politician is quite upsetting.

Sincerely

Calvin Coolidge

Commonwealth of Massachusetts

President Coolidge,

What world are you living in that you think aggressive military invasions should be rewarded with a colonial gift? My government has offered a Non-Aggression Pact, and the rights to use a Greenlandic harbor for your naval vessels. Yet, your counter-offer is to continue to subjugate native land, while espousing an aggressive attitude of expansionist influence. My government is done negotiating, our previous offers are now off the table. Your forces have three days remaining - leave Greenland or find yourself in conflict with the Swedish Empire. 

Respectfully,

Ministry of Defense
Swedish Empire

President Coolidge,

We believe that colonial expansionism for the sake of colonial expansionism is not conductive to continued peace in this region of the world, and they do not take into consideration the desires of the Greenlandic people. As with all actions, colonization have consequences, and this include other nations beating out your nation in the acquisition of 'colonies' or contesting your claims to them. Sweden has chosen to contest your claims to Greenland, and you will have to reap the consequences.

In the interests of continued peace, I beseech you to reconsider your position on Greenland and withdraw your forces from there. 

Sincerely,

Ethan Burns
Deputy Secretary of State
State Department
American Commonwealth

"I apologize, I did not have the time to inform you. You only gave us a week, and so it already has taken us just 3 days to get your offer into legislation. However, if you are able to reconsider, we will sign these agreements. I was simply attempting to buy our legislative branch time, as you did not give us much time or room for error. However, we have decided that we will sign these agreements of non agression and the harbor use. You are thanked for your cooperation."

Edited by Ferdinand Foch