Rowdy Dinner Guests

Triyun

Some people you cannot just have over for a proper dinner.  Spartans were considered chief among them by many in 10 Downing and Buckingham Palace.  But that did not matter to Mr. Churchill.  The defense minister had sent an invitation to the Spartan King and his court inviting them to visit London.  But they would not be invited to sit at a formal event in the Palace.  No.  

Mr. Churchill had selected the Black Rooster and Pig, a pub frequented by the lads, near Whitehall, known for copious amounts of Ale and Scotch, not to mention famous for their all you can eat roasts of mutton and beef for the meeting.  It was hoped they would show up and a merry time would be  had for all.  Certainly he would get to see if these greek fighters could keep up with him and the British Brass.

The invite would be accepted and confirmed. A large delegation of Spartans would be sent for this mission. A the British had been so thoughtful and held what was considered a highly important diplomatic mission in a pub, and not an official residence, they would go as traditional Spartans. Wearing nothing but their red cloaks. Nothing.

When they arrived to the pub and entered, each order four jagerbombs and then sat down with the British.

"AH!!! Spartans!" he said in his sharp pitched voice.  "I see you have had little to hide for this momentous meeting.  Very good." the defense minister said.  He took a perhaps overly generous sip of scotch before speaking again, "I may feel my safety a more likely than the Yugoslavs.  Hahahahaha." he laughed heartily with a smile.

"Please sit sit." Churchill said extending a hand, "Eat drink, and perhaps later you can find someone to fuck?  But for now business..." he went on as meat was served for the spartans.  

"Right to business.  You're treatment of the Yugoslav King has had far reaching effects, it brings the tides of war to Europe.  Tides from very far away indeed.  I'm not criticizing, the Yugoslavs wanted a war in Europe, they simply wanted one on their terms.  They wanted to be Charlemagne or perhaps Charles V, dictating what a United Europe should be without bothering to talk to half of Euope, but now... well from what we can tell they're willing to invite a new Xerxes to become it.  Trouble is, I have no reason to believe they wish to stay.

Your nation, once shaped history, in its stand against the first by standing alone.  I do not ask that.  I do not ask you to stand with any bloc, or join any special allaince.  Instead, I propose to you an Entente.  An Entente in the defense of Europe among nations whose proud warrior traditions, and who for this singular defining moment in history will lock shields with others across Europe in a Phalanx against which none shall pass."

The Spartans quietly conferred whilst drinking for a few moments before responding.

'Mr Churchill, Sparta untook the action of arresting the Yugoslav king because he was attempting to gain Spartan military assistance in removing Romania from Constantinople and Carthage from Spain, inciting a war across Europe. His Majesty took those steps to draw the attention of Yugoslavia away from its futile objectives and back onto Sparta itself, at the cost of our own prestige and honour amongst nations. With no King, they have no leadership and unifying figure to rally around, no purpose other than standing down and opening negotiation to cease their war mongering in exchange for a fair trial or even release of their King.' the chief Spartan said.

'That said, pleas elaborate on this entente and what Sparta stands to gain by joining shields with other nations to 'defend' Europe.'

"I am not the Kingmaker of Europe sir, and I do not intend to be.  I am not here to dole out lands in a contest of favors and popularity.  That is the ways of the men and women I am trying to stop." Churchill began.  "I am here to defend Freedom.  Freedom for Romania, Freedom for Sparta, Freedom for Carthage, Freedom for the United Kingdom, and though they do not know it yet Freedom for the Yugoslavs, the French, and many others.  And that Freedom and Glory of Battle is all alone that I can promise you, and it will come at a terrible cost indeed."

"You did what you did to stop their war mongering ways yes.  But the problem seems to be the doubling down.  Foreign fleets and armies descend upon France.  We both know that the issue with France has never been the French, if the French just kept to themselves and acted like a normal nation nobody would care, well except the late night comedians, but its their allies.  Allies of the Yugoslavs too.   Who once in Europe have no guarantee of leaving, and not even the strongest among us can win all alone.  The British Nation and the Spartan Nation are on opposite ends of our continent.  Yet neither will be refuge.  

What I talk about is that should these allies enter into the Yugoslav conflict or conflict with any other state in the Med or Europe, that Sparta and Britain both act together.  This is not just force of arms, but declarations to warn against, firm statements of commitment that we will not tolerate such interference in this continent and that when a United Europe comes it will be by the assent of all."