Dancing on the Rhine

Sarah Tintagyl

Maelstrom raised an eyeridge and took the offered hand of the Officer Lemaitre in his claw carefully. It would be cool to the touch. "A pleasure as well, Officer Lemaitre. I am Maelstrom Vortex, Emperor of Druk Yul. I am fortunate to meet you as few humans outside my faith see this figure. You know, I don't think I've ever spoken business with the Northlands in person or through a proxy. We really should change that soon." He smiled, a fang or two revealed by pulled back upper lips and overhanging lower jaw. Serpentine, jade shaded eyes examined the room and those gathered. Having seen the offense by Marbury.. he was tempted to behead the man. Druk Yul's stance on sexual deviancy was well known since he had brought the night of judgement to that land. Well, it was known to those who believed.. those who knew.. he was the architect behind the seemingly natural demise of millions of criminals.

Lemaitre leaned in, whispering so as not to have their conversation overhead. "Who said anything of being outside the faith?" he would chide, grinning. "You, of all people, should know that looks can be deceiving."

After Maelstrom mentioned the Northlands, Lemaitre would answer, "perhaps we can." He carefully handed the towering dragon a small rectangular piece of paper. 

Which death is preferable to every other?

juraBheYnqlvfyvgolguroybbqbsgursnvgushy

znlgurgbjregbcbsurepuhepuerirnygurjnl

The message seemed to effortlessly sear itself into Maelstrom's memory. Lemaitre would give a small nod and wink before walking away, leaving as quickly as he had walked up. While the gala would prove less than fruitful, his real work had been accomplished. When Maelstrom looked down again, he would simply find he was holding a business card.

Alexandre Lemaitre

Royal Officer of the Northlands

Office for Foreign Affairs

Edited by Californian

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maelstrom had it seared in his memory alright. The message, like anything else that is cryptic, possibly a cipher, and may have other meanings.. was more than just seared.. he was instantly obsessed with solving it. His mind would stare at it like a shiny piece of gold attempting to assemble its meaning.

Once he had figured it out he laughed deeply.

A riddle within a riddle.. very.. very interesting, he thought to himself.

Curious as to what the second part of the riddle meant, he would try to slip quietly and unnoticed outside and look around the vicinity of the ball for Churches, particularly ones with statues of the Lady Mary near their tops.

Edited by Maelstrom Vortex

• 2 weeks later...

Curious as to what the second part of the riddle meant, he would try to slip quietly and unnoticed outside and look around the vicinity of the ball for Churches, particularly ones with statues of the Lady Mary near their tops.

Party is winding down as Lord John Marbury's altercation defined this evening.

*sigh*

Hopefully it wouldn't end in outright warfare.

Too many of these parties ended in blood. 

Liska finally done ringing wine out from her clothing was bitterly musing how badly she alienated the princess. . .

. . . when jarringly familiar man walked by exiting palace's ballroom.

Maelstrom Vortex is dead!

Just as Generalissimo is dead.

Just as Kaiser Martens is dead.

As even Kiska is dead.

Don't look him anywhere near eyes.

Look at chandelier instead.

Think on glass craftsmanship? 

Look at floor instead.

Marble is pleasant enough?

Generalissimo's chosen successor looked into familiar eyes.

That's impossible! 

That's impossible! 

That's impossible! 

That's impossible! 

That's impossible! 

That's impossible! 

Just an uncanny resemblance?

Long enough ago her mind was playing tricks?

Dragons can't possibly exist.

All in her mind.

All in her mind.

All in her mind.

All in her mind.

With all composure that she could muster. . .

. . . initiated a strategic withdrawal to improvised shelter.

Outright hiding from an uncomfortable denial under a buffet table.

Not shivering. Not hyperventilating. Not crying.

Convenient lies for inconvenient facts.

Edited by Generalissimo

While she was under the table, out of view, the 6 winged, ghostly visage of the dragon appeared right in front of her. "Yes, I'm very much alive. Why is this such a problem for you?" He smiled at her, an unsettling toothy grin.

Despite huddling under a table during an international event Liska still had presence of mind to avoid interacting with the hallucination aloud, "Dragons aren't real. You're not real. I've reached Generalissimo levels of insanity. Maelstrom Vortex died so long ago. Since then I lost everyone. Not a single among my friends or associates where found after the apocalyptic war. For so long I've given up any semblance of hope on anybody surviving. If you're back, after so long Vortex, why now? You didn't bother finding me after coming back. Maelstrom would have cared. Impostor just never bothered. Fake barely knows I'm existing. That's how I know you're not real. Figment of my imagination."

Molly's Goat cleaved a righteous path through the ceiling of the building and slammed down on top of the table. With a proud look, or as proud as a goat can manage to look, Molly's Goat bleated loudly. With a toss of his mighty horns the goat proceeded to crapped on the table, after which he promptly returned to Boca Raton for the rest of his all inclusive deep sea fishing cruise. 

Those coronas weren't going to drink themselves and all that. 

Edited by Tidy Bowl Man

Kazuko had returned for looking for her former companions, having long since disappeared, and apparently perfectly content with the sexual harassment she experienced at the hands of  the British Foreign Minister, having taken no less than 4 glasses of champagne, swiftly downing one while walking through the crod to place the empty glass upon a tray to take another, she made her way back over to Maelstrom right at the goat fell through the ceiling, "Well, that is certainly an entrance." she said sarcastically, "And who is your friend, I am Empress Hoshiko of East Asia." she said politely, bowing to Liska.

"Kegare always catches up to people, I didn't think the Europeans were so barbaric." she muttered back, "Generalissimo... Liska, You're the person we've been funneling money to in the the Arctic, I hope the nuclear reactors and whatever we agreed to is working out for you, the bobble heads and other niche products we import always seem to sell out, it seems the youth of EAI likes the age of heroes and characters."

Maelstrom tilted his head. "I didn't search for you because I too had not expected that anyone would have survived.

"I'm a public figure. Vortex would have noticed. Maelstorm would have cared."

Liska still have presence of mind to avoid conversing with the hallucination aloud. 

But.. after all that research I and the General did on the fickle nature of this existence's space time... I'm not altogether suprised. . . 

"Entire branch of that was based on Liska's Observation. . . . not going to argue with my imagination"

"And who is your friend, I am Empress Hoshiko of East Asia." she said politely, bowing to Liska.

Wait a minute, Maelstorm impostor hadn't actually left yet? Still plenty of time for hiding.

I am shadow

I am stealth

Too late.

Going to really be fun explaining this.

Would have bowed a response but remained hidden under buffet table.

Liska was entirely reminded of another Japanese empress – Haruhi. It really wasn’t a fair comparison to make. Since then how many times had that nation changed regimes? Too many to keep an eye on; too many to easily track; too easy losing track. Beyond mere titles Kazuko, Empress Hoshiko, was a completely different person. Painfully missing an old friend (and having friends in general) was no excuse for projecting on someone new. Worse still how likely the newcomer truly knows about everything from those nostalgic days. Lady might have an uncomfortable amount of rather personal information about Liska’s incredibly close friendship with Kazuko’s ancient predecessor in the imperial archives. Enough to wonder exactly what files lingering from old long destroyed nations are still circulating. It’s a problem unique to international figures that manage being much older than all combined nations in the world. 

"Generalissimo... Liska, You're the person we've been funneling money to in the the Arctic, I hope the nuclear reactors and whatever we agreed to is working out for you, the bobble heads and other niche products we import always seem to sell out, it seems the youth of EAI likes the age of heroes and characters."

"My reputation proceeds me.

Not a generalissimo anymore.

I declined that authority.

Age of heroes really is a very interesting way of phrasing it.

Was around for everything.

Knew all of the players.

Was one of the players.

Now it's considered a different era.

I feel old already. 

Not exactly who you're funneling money to.

That would be Procinctia Armament.

Currently hosted by the Bear Islands' Nation of the Bear. . .

. . . Country that I currently represent diplomatically.

Surprisingly for a tiny arctic nation  they're a rising economic powerhouse."

Edited by Generalissimo