Dancing on the Rhine

Sarah Tintagyl

Letters and official reports from European elites and across the world, cluttered the large desk in Count Frederich's study. He pressed his eyes with his thumb and forefinger as beams of light from the late morning shown through the tall windows of Biebrich Palace in Wiesbaden. For what he expected to be a formation of a government without so much of a murmur from the international community, Frederich felt like the letters were drowning him.

"Open the windows, Johann," he said to his fellow in the room. "I can't breathe in here."

"I have never seen a man so perturbed about being welcomed to the world as a fellow head of state." Johann Welsch said as he opened the windows and straightened his wig as a breeze caught him off guard.

"It isn't that," Frederich leaned back in his chair and reached on the desk for a cigar. "We don't have the bureaucracy to send ambassadors all over the world. Not when we haven't even constructed a proper foreign ministry or proper army. Johann, we're behind."

Then the door opened as Maria Elisabetha, Countess von Hesse, walked into the room, trailed by her oldest daughter, Maria Elenora. Their long dresses sweeping across the floor as they bowed their heads to the Count and gestured lightly to Johann. The Countess frowned at the letters scattered over the table. "I assume you haven't made much progress?"

"Invitations to London and Budapest, a request for relations from Paris and Amsterdam. Elisabeth, I don't have the man power for all this," the Count's eyes narrowed, "And I don't trust the other landlords of course."

Elenora, who sat near the window, looking out at the courtyard of Biebrich Palace smiled and traced circles on the glass. "What if we brought them here?"

Johann smiled and clasped his hands together, "There it is, Your Grace," he said to the Count, "The money it would take to send diplomats to Paris, London, Amsterdam and further could be spent here, in Hesse."

Elenora's ears perked up as she withdrew from the window, "Yes, Father, listen to Johann, could you imagine, we could show the world the pastoral beauty of Hesse and of the Rhine. Parties, balls, even a jousting match."

Frederich chuckled and Elisabeth put her hand on her daughter of twenty-one years. "Your head is in the clouds, girl," said the Count, "As is yours, Johann. But for as much money as we may spend, the revenue will come back to Hesse and we can use the celebration to cement our line as rulers of the region. Complete two matters at once, so to speak."

"So a ball?" said Elenora, her gold ringlets bouncing on her head as she gripped the desk.

"A ball and several evenings of special magnificence." Frederich smiled.

---

In response to the leaders and others who had recognized Hesse received a letter in reply.

Excellency,

I thank you deeply for your kind words concerning our County and your desire to form relations with our state. Unfortunately, it would be impossible right now for a Hessian diplomat to stay too long in your nation to conduct proper diplomacy. Instead I would like to take the time to invite you to a week long Mischianza beginning in Cologne at the Augustusburg and Falkenlust Palaces. In a more jovial setting I hope that we can all talk about relations between Hesse and your country.

I hope that you will be able to attend, there will be music, and dancing, and if the weather permits, a trip on the Rhine. I look forward to the chance to address you and discuss the future.

Sincerely,

Frederich von Hesse

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the White Army proving itself to be a constant annoyance, Chairman Volkov was unable to attend. In his place he sent the People's Commissar of Foreign Affairs, Lev Ivonovich Travkin. Travkin was a gaunt old man with noble blood who frequented balls in St. Petersburg before the Great Calamity and, unlike Chairman Volkov, would be comfortable in the palace setting.

Hearing of this grand ball in the land of Hesse to the west Count Alucard and his new love Carla would attend to represent their small territory to the east. Having not officially gained recognition yet it would give the count a good chance to hopefully gain influence with the lords and ladies of the local area.

Edited by Kevin Kingswell

The day of the Mischianza saw the city of Cologne completely transformed. Banners of the County fluttered from every windowsill as the gates of the two palaces for the reception were opened for local nobility and foreign visitors. The gala would begin at Augustusburg Palace where the invited guests would be given rooms and complete access to the countryside to hunt, sight see, and take in the fresh air of the Rhine. Beginning on the first night, Count Frederich and Countess Maria Elisabetha, along with their family, addressed the guests and invited Hessian nobles.

"Honored guests and countrymen," began the Count, standing at the top of the grand staircase in the Hall of Augustusburg Palace. "I would like to welcome all of you to this event. As I said in my invitation, instead of sending diplomats to every far corner of the world, we can congregate in one area to eat, drink, and make merry, along with conduct any diplomacy that you with to enact with the County. I realize, looking over the congregation of heads that many of you, if not all of you, hold a power in state that makes our Hessian people quake and I am truly honored for you to take the time to be here. Tonight will be feasting and dancing, but I have also arranged later for a spectacle of Water Music and Fireworks as we sail down the Rhine."

Elisabetha took a glass from a nearby servant and passed it into her husband's hands. The Count smiled and lifted the Riesling in a toast. "To Hesse and to her friendship with the world."

At that, the orchestra began to play music from the Baroque and Early Classical Era as the guests began to siphon through the palace and the Princely family began to disperse through the crowd. All in all there were six heirs to the Count's throne of Hesse, Maria Eleanora, Maria Amalia, and Maria Christina the Count's three daughters and his sons, Frederich, Augustus, and Wilhelm.

Count Alucard would stand with his love Carla further to the back of the assembled guests his station being drastically lower to the majority of them much to his annoyance and distaste. For this occasion he had decided to wear his black count's attire with the gold trimmings which contrasted nicely with his pale skin and white hair, on his belt his sword was kept in its scabbard the security for the ball allowing him to keep it after he mentioned he required it to ensure that the Lady Carla came to no harm. Lady Carla for her part wore a matching full length black dress with the same golden trimming as the count so that they matched outfits and helped to reinforce the colours of their homeland. 

Taking a glass Riesling being passed around by one of the many servants Count Alucard would raise it when Count Frederich made his toast and would quietly drink from it as the guests split apart as their hosts swept down to join them. For now the Count and his love would stay apart from the rest of the assembled guests not wishing to intrude over their more prestigious fellows but he did plan to meet with the ruling family hosts at some point during the ball as well as with some of the more important guests. 

Edited by Kevin Kingswell

Kazuko chose a unique red rose patterned dress for the event, and had had Osamu and Takako as her entourage, Osamu looking uncomfortable as usual, They listened to the speech, with Kazuko replying "To Hesse!" to the Count before finishing her glass. Osamu and Takako stood talking to each other quietly afterward, the synthetic was a bit of a novelty to him still and  Kazuko used the opportunity to slip off after the speech, putting her empty glass onto a tray and replacing it with a full glass of some sort of red wine, dropping the small red and blue capsule into the glass and knocked back a mouthful, feeling the pill slide down her throat.

She looked through the crowd, a bit disappointed that Jeanne did not show up, but such was the life of royalty. Looking through the crowd the majority of them were Hessian nobles, the obvious King or Head of State dotting the crowd, but she didn't feel like beginning with business, no she wanted to start the evening off with a more relaxed conversation. The oldest girl of the family, Maria Eleanora would be her first choice to learn about Hesse, deciding the Count would likely be swarmed with people desperate to begin relations with the new nation, perhaps she could make friends with the kids instead. 

She curtsied to the girl slightly, a smile upon her face. "Hello Eleanora, I presume you all drop the Maria among one another, otherwise you'd have very confusing family dinners." She said a bit cheekily, "I have been in your father's position before so I figured I'd ask you to tell me more about your country rather than bore him with a bunch of questions he'll probably have to answer a hundred times before the nights finished. I would have asked your brother since by grace of being born first and male, they generally get first dibs on succession, but then I realized it might look like I was just looking for an excuse to flirt with him rather than hold a genuine interest in Hesse. Europe has always been like a second home to me, such rich beauty and history. I felt you'd be able to tell me more than I would be able to find from a history book though."

She curtsied to the girl slightly, a smile upon her face. "Hello Eleanora, I presume you all drop the Maria among one another, otherwise you'd have very confusing family dinners." She said a bit cheekily, "I have been in your father's position before so I figured I'd ask you to tell me more about your country rather than bore him with a bunch of questions he'll probably have to answer a hundred times before the nights finished. I would have asked your brother since by grace of being born first and male, they generally get first dibs on succession, but then I realized it might look like I was just looking for an excuse to flirt with him rather than hold a genuine interest in Hesse. Europe has always been like a second home to me, such rich beauty and history. I felt you'd be able to tell me more than I would be able to find from a history book though."

The princess, being approached by who she assumed was the Japanese leader given the high-class of people gathered around, curtsied back with a low bow. "A pleasure, Excellency," she said and then listened to the question. "Well there is a great deal to say about our country, I could tell you about the long history of the region going back a few hundred years but that would keep you most of the night. As to the present County, we, I believe, are the last attempt for a true German country in this area. Every time a government falls, people on the Rhine fear that the French, the Northlanders, or the Alvonians will come and take us over completely."

She paused for a moment, "In truth, the Northlanders would not be a horrible outcome for us, but the idea of the French, or the Alvonians? Catholics? No," Elenora shook her head, "The Calvinist population would be highly upset. So that is what we are, German speaking Protestants trying to make the Rhine our own again." Drinking her own wine she smiled, "It is good that you find Europe so pleasing, I have been to Asia once, and found it equally mystifying. There is a whole world to explore, but when you can explore in such good company, that is when things work out the best."

She was amused at the thought, "While I don't live in the region, considering I hold treaties with all three I doubt they would make for that awful governance. The French, while quiet as of late have always had the best interests of Europe at heart, being a security member of EuroComm back when Europe wasn't so filled with tension. Northlands has cooperated with us on Pacific Security and have been supportive of global peace. On the other hand, the Alvonians would be the most troublesome to have as a government from my own perspective,  but I tend to be biased towards democratic states, if the people are ignored then they will eventually rebel." she said, looking over the party, "But enough about politics, I'm sure discussing your history would probably be more enjoyable than going through the formalities and protocols of these galas."

She paused, taking another swig of her own glass, "I'm glad to see I'm not the only "Princess" who has a lust for adventure. Oh what I would do to be able to explore the world without the worry of the Imperium relying on me, but I doubt I would need to complain of the drawbacks of a birthright to another in a similar pair of shoes. At least they look good on you though." she said with a smirk, looking down at Eleanora's shoes before eyeing her over for the briefest of moments before her phone buzzed, "What timing... you'll have to excuse me for a moment, duty calls and all that." she'd remark, putting her phone on the desk to call the Uriankhai president.

Less than 30 seconds later, she'd return her attention to Eleanora, "Apologies for that, where were we?" She'd ask rhetorically, "Oh yes, I love your outfit, I do love getting dressed up, but it is hard to find an outfit that is also decent for combat..."  She said warmly, hand moving across the polished russian olivewood scabbard of the Sword of Axum, "I'm thinking with three brothers you have gone hunting and played with the boys , I'd certainly like to try my hand at the hunt while in Hesse, one of the servants said the area we're in is quite famous for it."

Edited by Mogar

The King of the newly reformed United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, would approach the Count of the Hessian Court.  Bowing he offered the older man respect as a sovereign lord inspight not holding a Kingship.  The young king of England would much prefer to enjoy the party, but he was firmly instructed by the Prime Minister that foremost he would need to secure the Count's approval.  The english ambassadors would meanwhile be sent to scour the party to meet with others whom the British State saw as potential friends.  

"Lord Count von Hesse, I thank you for holding a lovely reception.  It is good to see the rise of another independent power, and you have a lovely family, its rare to see such beautiful daughters, and your sons look like they will make good soldiers.  The bonds of Britain and West Germany are strong, we have fought together, we com from the same lines, we share the same religion, and share similar languages.  

It is my hope that we can find a friend in one another." Henry said.

Commissar Travkin pushed a pair of old wire frame eyeglasses up on the bridge of his nose and took a good look around the room. In his youth he lived for events like this, prosperous and magnificent were the palaces of St. Peters burg before the Great Calamity, but that was when a different branch of the imperial family ruled over Russia. Now in his advanced age he was far more liberal and disliked the haute bourgeoisie and their exploitative ways. Yet he still did enjoy a good mixer.

He tucked his tie under the vest of his three piece suit. Although this was a formal affair, he no longer owned a tuxedo, and hoped a black tie and suit would suffice. As he looked around he saw very few common people. The room was mainly occupied by the local nobility and the venerated kings and queens of Europe, Asia and Africa. Although they all wielded considerable power, he would not feed into their egos by bowing or addressing them in the styles they were accustomed to, not even for his hosts. Instead he would address them as sir or ma'am, which he believed showed the appropriate level of respect that all humans deserved, regardless of class or upbringing.

She was amused at the thought, "While I don't live in the region, considering I hold treaties with all three I doubt they would make for that awful governance. The French, while quiet as of late have always had the best interests of Europe at heart, being a security member of EuroComm back when Europe wasn't so filled with tension. Northlands has cooperated with us on Pacific Security and have been supportive of global peace. On the other hand, the Alvonians would be the most troublesome to have as a government from my own perspective,  but I tend to be biased towards democratic states, if the people are ignored then they will eventually rebel." she said, looking over the party, "But enough about politics, I'm sure discussing your history would probably be more enjoyable than going through the formalities and protocols of these galas."

She paused, taking another swig of her own glass, "I'm glad to see I'm not the only "Princess" who has a lust for adventure. Oh what I would do to be able to explore the world without the worry of the Imperium relying on me, but I doubt I would need to complain of the drawbacks of a birthright to another in a similar pair of shoes. At least they look good on you though." she said with a smirk, looking down at Eleanora's shoes before eyeing her over for the briefest of moments before her phone buzzed, "What timing... you'll have to excuse me for a moment, duty calls and all that." she'd remark, putting her phone on the desk to call the Uriankhai president.

Less than 30 seconds later, she'd return her attention to Eleanora, "Apologies for that, where were we?" She'd ask rhetorically, "Oh yes, I love your outfit, I do love getting dressed up, but it is hard to find an outfit that is also decent for combat..."  She said warmly, hand moving across the polished russian olivewood scabbard of the Sword of Axum, "I'm thinking with three brothers you have gone hunting and played with the boys , I'd certainly like to try my hand at the hunt while in Hesse, one of the servants said the area we're in is quite famous for it."

Eleanora shrugged her shoulders and took a sip of wine, "That still doesn't make the French or Alvonians any better to the common Hessian. They are Catholic, they are foreign, and as such, they should not rule our people. Democracy or not, in truth, Excellency, democracies can ignore their people just as easily as absolute monarchs. The fact of the matter is that all people go ignored to some degree. In monarchies it is the disfavored factions, and in democracies it is the minority. But as I said, whatever you'd like to know about Hesse's history, I would be glad to tell you, it would keep us here all night if I were to give you the textbook edition. But if something strikes your eye, Excellency, then I would be happy to inform you."

After the Japanese leader got off the phone, Eleanora resumed the conversation. "Actually, my adventurous spirit is fairly lackadaisical, especially when you mention combat. I would rather read about wars and battles than actually partake in them. One gets too dirty, and of course there's the potential loss of life to consider. My brother's however, especially Frederich, are avid hunters. I'm certain if you asked to accompany one of them on a hunt, they would oblige."

The King of the newly reformed United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, would approach the Count of the Hessian Court.  Bowing he offered the older man respect as a sovereign lord inspight not holding a Kingship.  The young king of England would much prefer to enjoy the party, but he was firmly instructed by the Prime Minister that foremost he would need to secure the Count's approval.  The english ambassadors would meanwhile be sent to scour the party to meet with others whom the British State saw as potential friends.  

"Lord Count von Hesse, I thank you for holding a lovely reception.  It is good to see the rise of another independent power, and you have a lovely family, its rare to see such beautiful daughters, and your sons look like they will make good soldiers.  The bonds of Britain and West Germany are strong, we have fought together, we com from the same lines, we share the same religion, and share similar languages.  

It is my hope that we can find a friend in one another." Henry said.

Frederich von Hesse smiled, taking the King's hand firmly in his own and bowing his head low. "I am too honored to have the King of Great Britain in my home and I will take what you have said about my family to heart. I would be more than happy to talk politics, Majesty. Perhaps over a game of billiards?" said the Count, motioning to a room off from the main hall where some of the older Hessian nobles were gathering. "It is always easier to talk about the state of the world when your mind is occupied with something else." The Count took his arm, "Come, I will open a bottle of bourbon for us."

"Heh, so long as there is no one to report to my Scottish or Irish Subjects I'm drinking American whisky... I may find the headlines, 'Whisky Gate' plastered over every tabloid rag in London." Henry said cheerfully, the young king did not show his face to the count, but had a quick sullen look as he saw the room full of potential conquests give way to a parlor with a bunch of old stuffy nobles, before returning to a smile.

"Though of course, a game can always be more interesting with a wager." Henry said putting a golden coin on the table, "If your lordship would permit of course." he said taking a swig of the bourbon.  

Eleanora shrugged her shoulders and took a sip of wine, "That still doesn't make the French or Alvonians any better to the common Hessian. They are Catholic, they are foreign, and as such, they should not rule our people. Democracy or not, in truth, Excellency, democracies can ignore their people just as easily as absolute monarchs. The fact of the matter is that all people go ignored to some degree. In monarchies it is the disfavored factions, and in democracies it is the minority. But as I said, whatever you'd like to know about Hesse's history, I would be glad to tell you, it would keep us here all night if I were to give you the textbook edition. But if something strikes your eye, Excellency, then I would be happy to inform you."

After the Japanese leader got off the phone, Eleanora resumed the conversation. "Actually, my adventurous spirit is fairly lackadaisical, especially when you mention combat. I would rather read about wars and battles than actually partake in them. One gets too dirty, and of course there's the potential loss of life to consider. My brother's however, especially Frederich, are avid hunters. I'm certain if you asked to accompany one of them on a hunt, they would oblige."

"I can understand your point, Asia like Europe has plenty of various ethnic and religious divisions, but I have found success in working to stamp out the concept of foreign, we all live in the same region and have a shared history, nations divided are weak, through unity you gain strength that would otherwise be devoted to killing one another. I disagree that there's always an ignored group of people, but I also have realized my own nation is unlike the rest of the world in that regard..." she trailed off taking a sip of her wine, "I doubt you want to prattle on though. I am not really sure what I want to know in particular, I just hope for strong relations with all of those who surround my closest ally. I will certainly have to go find your brother, though I wouldn't mind some female company."

She'd pause for a moment, considering what she even wished to talk about. "What about you, how have you found life in Hesse? Do you have any questions for me? There are not many of us, females of royal blood, I do prefer befriending them when possible, perhaps we can be friends as well."

France's princess, and the Empress' second sister, Princess Josephine had been called up from her home in Lyons, now on a rather contested border region. Incidentally, Josephine de LaQueu wasn't much like her other sisters, and was widely believed to be a half-sister at best. She had blonde hair, blue eyes, and was rather taller than her other sisters, at 5'8. She was wearing a rather minimal, light blue dress lightly studded with diamonds (Compared to many others that her sisters had donned in the past), and her six inch stilettos put her at a rather imposing height.

She strode into the room with an escort who would normally be the same height as her but was at the present time rather dwarfed. He was rather slim and was very clearly uncomfortable in his formal clothes; it was also clear that his hair wasn't cut for the style that it was placed in, but it was dressed such that it fit the situation well anyways.

She looked around for faces she'd been briefed would be friendly and instantly found one in the Japanese Empress. She strode over with her escort in tow, looking uncomfortable in the crowd, "Kazuko! My sister's practically done nothing except talk about you! I'm her sister, Josephine." she introduced herself quite before realizing that the Empress was already engaged in conversation, "Oh, sorry, didn't realize I was interrupting anything."

"Heh, so long as there is no one to report to my Scottish or Irish Subjects I'm drinking American whisky... I may find the headlines, 'Whisky Gate' plastered over every tabloid rag in London." Henry said cheerfully, the young king did not show his face to the count, but had a quick sullen look as he saw the room full of potential conquests give way to a parlor with a bunch of old stuffy nobles, before returning to a smile.

"Though of course, a game can always be more interesting with a wager." Henry said putting a golden coin on the table, "If your lordship would permit of course." he said taking a swig of the bourbon.  

"I assure you," said the Count, "That word will not come back to the Isles of your partaking of my own imported liquor. Though I have always had a taste for the harder stuff that the Americans distill." Once in the billiard room, Henry found himself surrounded by cigar smoke as the Hessian nobles lined up to take their turns on the table. The Count played well, his aim and accuracy impeccable. However, another player, a woman wearing man's clothing seemed to dominate the game with the same tenacity as the Count.

Frederich laughed and straightened his back as one of the Hessian nobles growled, breaking one of his sticks as the woman took several gold coins from his hand. "My sister continues to do well at any game set in front of her, Lady Anna Maria von Hesse."

Anna Maria joined her older brother at the head of the billiard table, her brown ringlets falling on the blue military coat hanging on her shoulders. "And I'd be happy to play whoever next."

Frederich laughed, "Perhaps his Majesty would like a chance?"

"I can understand your point, Asia like Europe has plenty of various ethnic and religious divisions, but I have found success in working to stamp out the concept of foreign, we all live in the same region and have a shared history, nations divided are weak, through unity you gain strength that would otherwise be devoted to killing one another. I disagree that there's always an ignored group of people, but I also have realized my own nation is unlike the rest of the world in that regard..." she trailed off taking a sip of her wine, "I doubt you want to prattle on though. I am not really sure what I want to know in particular, I just hope for strong relations with all of those who surround my closest ally. I will certainly have to go find your brother, though I wouldn't mind some female company."

She'd pause for a moment, considering what she even wished to talk about. "What about you, how have you found life in Hesse? Do you have any questions for me? There are not many of us, females of royal blood, I do prefer befriending them when possible, perhaps we can be friends as well."

"Well you will have to forgive me," said the Princess, "After living under terrible governments and protectorate governorships, the ability for Hesse to make it's own individual mark comes with a bit of division and difference from the rest of Europe." As their conversation continued, Eleanora continued to play her first role as diplomat. "Well I am probably not the best to talk about relations between Japan and Hesse, though I'm sure if you were to speak to my father or Minister von Beck, the Foreign Officer, you may get a better understanding of Hesse's foreign affairs situation. Right now, at least what I have heard in conversation, we have only fears from the south and those rumors may prove untrue."

When mentioning the continual desire to hunt, Eleanor snapped to bring over her brother Augustus, who bowed to his sister and to the Japanese leader. "I understand you are an avid woodswoman then?" said the Prince as he was quickly briefed on Eleanora's previous conversation. "I wouldn't be able to go out tonight, but I am sure, that Frederich and I could show you the southern forests in the region. The Alvonians unfortunately control much of the best hunting grounds in the country. One day we should go there."

Then when the French Princess arrived, the Hessians bowed kindly to her presence. "You aren't interrupting anything at all."

"Well you will have to forgive me," said the Princess, "After living under terrible governments and protectorate governorships, the ability for Hesse to make it's own individual mark comes with a bit of division and difference from the rest of Europe." As their conversation continued, Eleanora continued to play her first role as diplomat. "Well I am probably not the best to talk about relations between Japan and Hesse, though I'm sure if you were to speak to my father or Minister von Beck, the Foreign Officer, you may get a better understanding of Hesse's foreign affairs situation. Right now, at least what I have heard in conversation, we have only fears from the south and those rumors may prove untrue."

When mentioning the continual desire to hunt, Eleanor snapped to bring over her brother Augustus, who bowed to his sister and to the Japanese leader. "I understand you are an avid woodswoman then?" said the Prince as he was quickly briefed on Eleanora's previous conversation. "I wouldn't be able to go out tonight, but I am sure, that Frederich and I could show you the southern forests in the region. The Alvonians unfortunately control much of the best hunting grounds in the country. One day we should go there."

Then when the French Princess arrived, the Hessians bowed kindly to her presence. "You aren't interrupting anything at all."

"No apologies needed, you can call me Hoshiko, I don't bite, usually anyway." she teased, "I have been fortunate enough to not have to live under such rulers, and I'm certain Hesse will make its mark on Europe. I had figured your father would be the best, but I dread these sorts of meetings, I much prefer informal conversations to be honest, and with that honesty I can tell you Alvonia is not a threat to those surrounding them, and from my own perspective have been tolerant of their neighbors provocation over the past few years. Of course this goes against the story line that some in Europe wish to paint, but some people will make giants out of windmills if it suits their desires." she took a sip of her drink, deciding listening to the Japanese empress ranting about European Politics was probably nowhere on this woman's list of things she wanted to do with her time.

She smiled, "I would disagree about being an avid hunter, we have mostly small game where I am from, unless you count my neighbors." she said sarcastically, "I do enjoy survival skills and learning what I can, I would never ask another to do something I cannot do myself after all. If you'd like I can arrange for us to visit Alvonia, it would be no trouble."

Kazuko beamed at hearing her name said, there were only a few people in the world who called her by her real name, she was disappointed it was not Jeanne, but she would settle for her sister, after exchanging a warm hug and pecks on the cheeks, she turned back to her hosts, "May I introduce, Princess Josephine of France," gesturing her hand to her hosts, "Prince Maria Eleanora, and Prince Augustus, your neighbors of course. As I was saying, I do enjoy being out in nature,its a change of pace from the City, perhaps you would like to join us tomorrow for a bit of sport in the woods Josephine?

Edited by Mogar

The thick cigar smoke and smell of whisky reminded the young king of the meetings amongst his more senior ministers 

Henry looked up at the much younger woman, whom the Count had referred to as his sister, immediately struck by her piercing ice blue eyes.  "Uh... yes of course." he said regaining his composure and smiling at her widely, letting off a light laugh.  He took her hand kissing it and bowed, "I am King Henry of the United Kingdom.  It would be my pleasure." he said.  

He turned to the Count, whispering to him, "How good is she?" he said as he felt the coin pouch in his pocket, one eye fixed on her.

============

Meanwhile a salt and pepper haired thick brown haired skinnier man, looking to be in his early 40s, with scottish facial features in a loose fitting suit, peach shirt, and too wide by haif for today's fashion blue tie entered clumsily but confidently into the group too now include the eldest daughter and son of the count, the Empress of Japan, and the Princess of France, accidently tripping forward to spill scotch on the French princess's dress.  "Oh dear I'm terrible sorry.  Let me..." he started stumbling in his pocket for a kerchief, accidently groping the Japanese Empress as he moved forward to wipe it.  

"Oh my I'm so clumsy today.  And with three such volptiously breasted wom... well two, its not your fault genetics and all that dear." he said to the Japanese Empress.  "Please allow me to reintroduce myself.  I am Lord John Marbury, Earl of Croy, Marquess of Needham and Dolby, Baronet of Brycey, and Foreign Minister of his majesties government.  And this is such a lovely reception.  To be at a German Party where the meat resembles actual meat and not some gelatinous ham creation is well refereshing.  Speaking of refreshments, who would like to join me for a bottle of scotch or three?"

"Dear me.  For one proclaiming to be from such an ancient civilization you're awfully quick tempered, not to mention foolish for putting a blade to my neck." he said laughing, "I like you, you're a feisty one, but if one is to bluff in threatening, one really should have some credibility."

She pressed the blade against his skin, just barely enough to stop a cut from forming., "I do not bluff, you dishonored myself and my French associate, apologize, or I will restore your honor."

Edited by Mogar