In the Shadows of the Trees of Eden

Lestari

Khün found her sister sitting with her legs up relaxed in the Presidential Office of the Capitol Building. The younger sister sprawled out on the large leather chair, her eyes closed, and her arms comfortably behind her head. Only when Khün shut the door with a loud bang did her sister slowly open her eyes. The years of war conditioned Taraa to barely flinch at loud noises.

"You're finally here," she yawned, stretched, and jumped down from the chair. A sudden energy coming back into her body. Taraa exploded with energy at all hours of the day. Her complexion showcased her demeanor. Unlike her sister and many other Tuvans, Taraa had short auburn hair, which turned brighter almost a dark orange when kissed by the sun. The shortness seemed rugged as if her thin strands were cut by knives rather than scissors. In fact her entire body seemed to mimic the movements and designs of knives. Khün appeared powerful, strong, her broad shoulders rolled into defined biceps and a barreled chest, one that caused her uniform to stretch and cry out. Taraa illustrated litheness. She almost seemed gangly. Her knuckles protruded from her fists, her tight muscles rose only gently from her skin, toned and dense. Khün could lay a man out in one punch, Taraa toyed with her prey.

Taraa was a knife, Khün was an axe.

Khün was a lion, Taraa was a hyena.

They needed each other, they kept each other balanced, and they outsmarted their enemies at ever corner.

"I could get used to a place like this." Taraa strutted over and closed the doors behind Khün, "The food is so much better than back at home." They watched one of the waiting men come in, drop a few cups off coffee off and then leave again, "As are the men. Anyone catch your eye yet or are you too busy playing President?"

Together, Khün and Taraa fought in the Wars of Freedom to liberate their people from Chinese and Russian domination and during that time, Taraa watched as her sister became something superhuman in her eyes. She tempered Khün, but looked up to the student turned stateswoman.

Feeling like she insulted her, Taraa turned back and straightened the chair at the desk. "So what is on the agenda, Madame President? Where do we go from here?"

The two sisters began to walk through the gilded halls of the Capitol building and it was Taraa's turn to become disillusioned, especially when Khün mentioned the desire to modernize the tribes. "Saying of course, sister, that any of our people need brought up to the ways this world governs people." Taraa smirked as she turned and faced her sister. Khün stood taller, but Taraa's fierce disposition countered the strength of the President. "I know where you were before you came here, out on the lake, looking out, trying to retain that little bit of childhood. I miss it as well and it's something that I battle every day."

She looked up into Khün's eyes, "Do you feel your stomach rumble a bit when a fresh breeze blows across your skin? Your whole body trembles. Khün, don't take that away from our people. They made you leader, we have the chance to preserve our ways and our culture against the tide from Russia and China. We have to be different from them, just not a Mongol or Turkic carbon-copy. If we are going to unite the other tribes to us, we need to show the Elders that we are protectors of the old ways and yet offer them a chance for power by blazing a new path. It's a delicate balance," Taraa chuckled, "Modernity and spiritual understanding."

That had become their roles in the fight for Mongol and Turkic freedom during the era of the Cataclysm. With the death of their parents, Khün became Taraa's mother, father, protector, and friend. The younger sister watched, sometimes from afar, as her sibling became the center of a political revolution. She listened to Khün argue with tribal leaders , she watched her learn to fire a gun, shoot a bow and arrow, and cleave meat in two with a sword. Taraa watched as Khün transformed and grew into the imposing figure before her now whose silver tongue formed a nation and whose powerful body ripped apart her enemies.

In all of this Taraa transformed herself. She trained like Khün, but did so in the quietness of the steppe. She learned to ride, to shoot, to fight, and most importantly to listen to the way the breeze sung in the high grass, and the way the animals grunted when crossing the plain. Taraa grew close to the 'Ancient Ways' spending her time with the shamans of the tribes and listening to their words of wisdom. Arguing with Taraa became a pain for Khün, for when her argument died, the younger sister took the side of the spirits and absurdity. There was little victory over the Absurd.

But for all their division on society, both Khün and Taraa had one thing locked in their minds. Freedom.

"To the east," Taraa started with Khün's comment about their people under the yoke of Russians and Han Chinese, "and everywhere else around us. Strange men to the south in Drak Yul, and East Asian advances to the far east. Everywhere, sister, our people are surrounded. Truthfully, I do not care much about the east, but an adventure south, to see these strange rulers of the Himalayas? I would be more than willing to ride."

"There is the woman I have been looking for," said Taraa and a half hour later the two sisters rode alone across the mighty steppe, overlooking the great vistas of Mongolia.

At the edge of a hill overlooking a vast sweep of the plains, Taraa stopped and reigned her horse in. "This is what I wanted you to see Khün, this is what we need to save. The other nations surrounding us are building massive cityscapes over the land, industrializing the plains and polluting the lakes. I don't want that to happen here." She turned her horse and looked at Khün squarely, "If you are seeking to modernize our people, then you have to do it in a way that maintains the connectivity to the steppe and to the earth. I can tell you right now, that the Elders will not allow a leader living in a marble palace to make laws for them. You became who you are from living in a yurt and rising early for the hunt. That is the leader the tribes follow and that is the leader who will save us from the encroaching powers."

Taraa turned back to gaze out at the step. "So what shall we do? Send emissaries off to these great lands?" Both riders carried their weapons. Both carried a bow, but the essence of the sisters' personalities were enshrined in their other weapons. Khün carred a great axe strapped to her back while Taraa rode with a spear at her side. "Figure out their intentions and then speak to the Elders from there. Or shall we start with finishing word in our Confederacy?" Taraa chuckled, "Part of me thought that after the war, things would slow down, now I realize they're just starting to pick up."

Related Link

ooc: You know I think this may be my first true-random encounter in CNRP.

[hr]

As the Uriankhai would begin south.. they would encounter a full 10,000 strong division of Druk Yul forces that happened to be en-route towards the Amur Republic through Inner Mongolia. Not having made official contact yet, the Druk Yul forces had spotted them with their drones, but unable to recognize Uriankhai markings decided to stop the column to investigate. The Druk Yul thought they may be former Russian forces. The column halted. They did not break for cover. They did not take offensive positions. They were just curious who was moving into inner Mongolia. There were numerous tanks and missile batteries with them as well as numerous loaded transport vehicles and some mobile artillery.

The leading tank commander pulled out a megaphone and spoke to the approaching forces, "Hail there. Who might you be? Please keep a non-aggressive stance and send forth a representative."  Unless fired upon, they would not act with hostility.

Edited by Maelstrom Vortex

"Merely in transit. We're heading towards the lands of the fallen Republic of Amur to keep the peace. Their government has fallen and we do not know why. There will be an investigation to determine the cause and we're mostly going to be there to keep the various local governments from fighting each other over resources until a peaceful transitional government can be established. Technically, we're called 'Druk Yul' now, the native name of the land the Englishman calls Bhutan. We were unaware of your confederacy's formation we would have asked if you had interest in helping us. But it pleases me to meet you on Druk Yul's behalf.  My name is Lao Bo. I am from Tibet. I am the commander of this column. You should send word of your confederacy's establishment to our foreign affairs office. I'm sure they'll be quick to add you to our maps. What territories do you claim? Is there anyway we can help our new neighbors?"

"No such intention, but we are curious as to your own intentions. Are you expanding your domain into these regions? If so could we request a formal transit treaty be established. Might even help you develop this area as we'd be more than content to pay a fee for the impact of our passing upon the local infrastructure." Bo would smile as he looked around the landscape a bit then back to her.

"We just want to make sure we don't upset you after just having met you. It would be quite impolite. You know, I don't believe you've given me the pleasure of knowing your name yet. Is it something you're content to share? Would look a little odd on the report I send home to say I met a strange and beautiful lady of great strength on the fields of Inner Mongolia whom had an army but would not give me her name. Some might even suspect I was having some form of delusional fantasy if I didn't have a few thousand witnesses to the matter to defend my integrity." He chuckled.

He nodded and took notes as she gave her introduction.  He noted her words verbatim. She may not believe it, but it wasn't really his intention to flirt with her he was merely doing his job. All commanders are instructed in diplomatic matters and to act as a battlefield liaison for Druk Yul if they must. It had been his intent to compliment her to keep her placated as he was concerned she might potentially be aggressive. In summary, he was brown nosing her.

"No, by the Dreamer's wishes our only intent is that all peoples of the Asian region be prosperous, healthy, and work together. We'd do everything in our power to avoid interfering with the native culture here. That is after all why we formed SEATO to begin with, to protect our peoples and their ways of life." He would step forward and offer his clipboard. "Would you be so kind as to sign your statement so I can lodge it in our official records as a temporary grant of passage regarding this current date  and our explained mission? If you don't wish to I understand. We keep our commentary recorded for the records as well and it's not required, just a formality."

Once Rinchen was satisfied and the documents signed he nodded to her, "Sorry if we were any inconvenience or delay. We'll be out of your way now." He whistled and gestured in a circular motion in the air. The engines revved on the tanks. He boarded the flag tank.. and the column proceeded onwards towards Amur.

:Encrypted to Uriankhai:
"Her Imperial Majesty, Empress Hoshiko, Sovereign of East Asia, has been observing the resurgence of Mongolian self governance, as we have noticed your military movements near our borders, Her Imperial Highness wishes to conduct a diplomatic meeting with your government to discuss these actions and work towards ensuring communication between our nations to promote harmony and allow for peace to thrive in Asia."

'Such a meeting may be conveniently conducted via internet video conference.'

Kazuko had her Sony Blackphone on her, allowing for encrypted video conferencing, she'd pause her conversation with Eleanora to make the call. "Hi, I'm Empress Hoshiko of the East Asian Imperium. I won't waste your time with the poetic diplomatic language, I noticed your military moving into Inner Mongolia and felt we should at the very least come to an understanding between our two nations of your intentions, since we have only received scattered reports of a formal government in the region, and I like to know more about my neighbors. I am currently occupied in Europe for the next week, but perhaps I can stop in Uriankhai to have a more personal conversation."

Edited by Mogar

:Classified: 

The Imperium stated it would withdraw its troops, however there was no mention of more clandestine employees. there was a larger percentage that did not wish to join a nation based upon ethnic groups, and instead wished to allow their ability to work govern their worth, rather than the DNA they were born with, these separatist groups would be funneled cash and inspired to hold protests upon the arrival of Mongolians to rule them.