A moment of reflection

YOLO SWAG

Mflag.jpg
250px-Blackbunchies.jpg

Today marks the 7 year anniversary of the disbandment of two infamous alliances in Planet Bob's history. They were taken from us before their time, and as a result it can be argued that our cyberverse is worse off for it. Albeit, due to the polarizing nature of the alliances, the opposite can also be argued. Regardless of your opinion, these two alliances were places that nation rulers called home and for that reason alone they deserve to be re\m/e[m]bered.

I would like to now invite the community to share their experiences with \m/ or Gen[m]ay, positive or negative. And also to raise awareness that there was a time when alliances were forced to disband because of inflated egos and petty grudges. Behavior like that especially with the dwindling number of nations today, cannot be tolerated.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

meh, I still believe that no alliance can be forced to disband. Just because \m/ and Genmay were to inactive/pathetic/apathetic/whatever to continue to fight, does not mean anyone besides the people leading those two alliances caused them to disband. I mean for fucks sake, we have alliances like LoSS that are still in existence despite "disbanding" and merging into SNX. Even GDA is still in existence. Other alliances such as GATO and FAN survived despite far worse treatment than what \m/ or Genmay received. 

After 7 fucking years you would figure that this argument would have ceased already... 

I founded CIA (later >_<, and later \m/) with banned member (<---really?) and had some good times. Unfortunately, politics were !@#$%* back then and not liking NPO got me removed from power in >_<. Had some good times founding The Rising Sun, and taking a majority of >_<'s membership (along with telling Tyga to quit - who went and founded STA as a result). The Rising Sun then lost a large majority of the members who left >_< because I refused to sign any treaties and tried to go the independent route. Eventually, I made up with \m/ while leading Guns of Glory and attempting to get Comrade Goby off /b/'s ZI list. Good times...back in the day when stuff actually happened and moved at faster than a snails pace.

Had I not been removed from power by Pacifican influence, >_< would have left The Initiative in the period after Great War 2, and signed up with The League remnants such as LUE. When you consider the difference in coalition sizes was roughly the size of >_< (not including allies), who knows how that war would have played out. Credit to Pacifica for snuffing that one out. Always a step ahead. That could very well have swung a war and changed quite a bit.

Edited by Starfox101

Always re\m/e[M]ber the nineteenth of September. Lest we forget. \m/ wasn't just an alliance, it was an ideology. As a spirit, as an ideal, \m/ lives on \m/ always and forever will be in our hearts. 

Good night sweet prince. \m/ was without a shadow of doubt one of the greatest alliances in CN history. \m/ will never die. 

\m/ >_< \m/ 

I do not know what you're expecting to accomplish with this. I remember both \m/ and Genmay. Genmay was nothing special. It was just a stupid little alliance that followed GOONS and \m/ around, knowing that otherwise no one would ever care about it. Truth be told, until you reminded me I had actually forgotten about that sorry alliance. As for \m/, I remember that alliance posturing as warriors who would never shy from a fight. Their love of fighting was the reason they so actively raided. Well, it seems that when the fighting really mattered, and it wasn't heavily in their favor, that alliance collectively decided that it was unfair.

That either \m/ or Genmay was forced to disband was a load of crock then and it is a load of crock now. Sponge did not intend to disband either alliance. He simply did not want to give you peace until you took a bit more damage, and he was right to. After all \m/, Genmany, and the rest of the "Unjust Path" had done, you deserved more than a slap on the wrist. Rather than it up and accept your desserts, you cut and run. And you've been moaning about it ever since.

So forgive if I do not shed any tears for you, and I instead raise a glass to the memory of Sponge.

I remember the 2nd attempt at \m/ the most. What a clown parade that was....

Well, a good amount of the clowns were gone within six months. We also lost some good ones that were friends with the clowns, but yeah. Absolutely incompetent by virtue of crippling inactivity, perhaps, but "clown parade" isn't the best description unless you count just the last few months it was really alive.

Marx got bored and made some odd decisions at times, but they were in tune with the attitude of the alliance and outside of maybe three or four decisions there's not much you could change that would have made the alliance better. It was never going to be "elite" but it did far better than the bottom line was on the alliance given that fuckin' Goby was a tri at the start-up. Edited by Neo Uruk

Anyone remember El Bruc? If you want a soul tug for the \m/ that's the one, for me. Miss him.

I have to admit to agreeing with RV and Doc on the history of it. Forced disbandment appears to be stretching it a bit. But I am sure that to the people who called it home, that made it not one bit less traumatic. And the flood of established nations on the 'market' looking for a home certainly had an impact that was felt in many other places.

Gen[m]ay, as well, may only truly be mourned by those for whom it was a home taken prematurely, but one of the end results of it was the possibility of Umbrella forming, which is of much more general interest. Without Umbrella first the Citadel, then as a result Karma and all that resulted from it, might well have taken a very different turn.

I think the point of forced disbandment is that the alliance leaders didn't want to see their members' nations in complete rubble months and months later with no signs of peace.  There was no way of knowing if the alliance trying to disband yours was going to budge or not.  So to some degree no one can force anyone to disband, but it was a different time in a world that was much less developed, loyalty-wise and community-wise.  And it was done out of respect for the members of your own alliance so they could get peace.

It would be interesting to see a complete list of all the forced disbandments in CN history.  I can only remember 3 - \m/ by NpO, Genmay by NpO, and CIN by NpO (iirc).

I think the point of forced disbandment is that the alliance leaders didn't want to see their members' nations in complete rubble months and months later with no signs of peace.  There was no way of knowing if the alliance trying to disband yours was going to budge or not.  So to some degree no one can force anyone to disband, but it was a different time in a world that was much less developed, loyalty-wise and community-wise.  And it was done out of respect for the members of your own alliance so they could get peace.

It would be interesting to see a complete list of all the forced disbandments in CN history.  I can only remember 3 - \m/ by NpO, Genmay by NpO, and CIN by NpO (iirc).

Interesting you only remember the supposed NpO disbandments and forget all the NPO disbandments like IAA.

Really

By your logic, let's add IAA, NAAC, Vox the first, LUE, VE, etc. And that's not including any research, or the attempted forced disbandment of alliances like GATO, FAN, or any other viceroy alliances.

That has to be one of the most ignorant posts of all time. No surprise - it's from Steve, who's still trying to get revenge on Polar 7 years later, and apparently has yet to pay attention to anything happening around him.

Edited by Starfox101

Amongst those listed by Tywin and Starfox you can also include CIS by NPO/(VE?), NoV by TPF, OE by VE and I am sure there are others. Again, I don't believe one bit that any alliance was ever truly forced to disband. If the leadership decided to disband the alliance instead of continuing to war, then that is solely upon the leadership of the alliance disbanding. There were always choices to be had, and disbanding is one of them but was/is/never will be, the sole choice.

Amongst those listed by Tywin and Starfox you can also include CIS by NPO/(VE?), NoV by TPF, OE by VE and I am sure there are others. Again, I don't believe one bit that any alliance was ever truly forced to disband. If the leadership decided to disband the alliance instead of continuing to war, then that is solely upon the leadership of the alliance disbanding. There were always choices to be had, and disbanding is one of them but was/is/never will be, the sole choice.

for NoR that was the only choice for every single person on that AA.

edit: If I am remembering right, I don't believe I was accepting surrenders, they died on the AA or the AA died.

Edited by Mogar