The re-connection of great powers

Zoot Zoot

Following the invite to Paris following the Morocco incident, Westminister accepted the invite and the King himself nearly moved mountains to ensure he, as chief diplomat would represent Britain and not some snotty ambassador from the Foreign Office who could risk furthering any potential divide between the historic allies.

King George VI, a man who had not wanted to be King, but took the throne none the less flew to Paris on the Royal Douglas DC-3.

He made his way to the Palais d'Élysées when he landed to meet with President Albert Lebrun. Silently, he would wait for the meeting to begin. In one hand, he held a basket with several bottles of British 'real ale', and in the other, he held a cigarette.

g63P5sz.jpg

Albert Lebrun had been President for quite some years now. Soon his term would come to an end, but still, he would be meeting the British monarch, who had been visiting France. After having been briefed by Laval and Doumerge on what was acceptable to agree to and what not, he had mostly been sent to the meeting, to have someone of similar rank talk to the King, instead of having George VI talk to some simple minister.

"Bonjour, votre Majesté. Welcome to Paris. Albert Lebrun, I am glad to see you were able to come. Even in person."

'It is my pleasure President Lebrun, though I must say that I wish this meeting was organised under better circumstance and not out of what was a mistake which had more than enough potential to escalate into something obscene and bloody. So for that I first of all offer my own personal apologies to you and the state of France for the ill researched expedition to Morocco.' he said, offering the basket of beer to Lebrun.

'Before this meeting truly gets underway, I want you to know that Britain will stand with France, regardless of the circumstance, even without any form of treaty. We shed blood together on a scale never seen before in history, something we will never forget.' he said.