Spanish-French relations

Greywall

Private to French Republic

It has been a long time since the French and Spanish spoke to each other on a diplomatic level. We would like to send a representative to your nation to clear the air.

We hope to hear from you soon,

Alexander Hoyama, authorized representative of Imperial Spain.

Private Reply to the Spanish Empire

The Third French Republic is fully willing to engage in a dialogue with Spain in order to improve our relations. A Spanish representative will be welcomed in Paris at any time.

With regards,

Pierre Laval, Ministre des Affaires étrangères

Hoyama arrived via airplane, when he arrived the citizens within Paris international could only look at him with cold stares. He was typical of a Spanish diplomat now, dressed in a black suit, wearing a fedora and the only thing distinguishing him as a diplomat was the small metal pin of a black eagle against a yellow and red flag.

Silence slowly filled the airport as he made his way outside ignoring the gazes. It had been almost ten years since a Spaniard stepped foot in Paris, and the French people knew all too well of how bloody the takeover was across the border. The concern was understandable. Hoyama lit a cigarette and waited patiently for his hosts to arrive.

More, the people wondered who that spinster with the strange glare was. He looked not French, but also not shabby like most spaniards. And he was not one of those Duce-hailing Macaroni, whom one could easily discern for being the run down caricature of Latin legacy. But Hoyama would not need to wait long (not that this many French were flying in these days anyway), until a small delagation around Minister of Foreign Affairs Laval arrived. "Monsieur Hoyama, I'm delighted to see you arrived safe and sound." After offering his hand for a handshake, he would wink Hoyama to follow. "Come, let us get to a proper locale for our meeting. This airfield is hardly worth to be host to our talks. Say, how is Spain these days?"

More, the people wondered who that spinster with the strange glare was. He looked not French, but also not shabby like most spaniards. And he was not one of those Duce-hailing Macaroni, whom one could easily discern for being the run down caricature of Latin legacy. But Hoyama would not need to wait long (not that this many French were flying in these days anyway), until a small delagation around Minister of Foreign Affairs Laval arrived. "Monsieur Hoyama, I'm delighted to see you arrived safe and sound." After offering his hand for a handshake, he would wink Hoyama to follow. "Come, let us get to a proper locale for our meeting. This airfield is hardly worth to be host to our talks. Say, how is Spain these days?"

Hoyama flicked his cigarette into a nearby ashtray and followed the delegation, "Spain is in an odd situation right now but I trust our leader to guide us to a positive outcome, other than that we're doing alright but we need to reestablish our ties and rebuild Spain's reputation unfortunately our civil war has hurt our country more than anticipated."  Hoyama took in the scenery of Paris, he had to admit he was envious of the city, Madrid didn't come close, "How is France, and what is her opinion of our nation?"

"Well, to say that public opinion is favourable of Spain would be a lie. Much of the French intelectual elite has been condemning your regime and the communists have protested for intervention in your civil war. While I can assure you that our government will do the best to resist this pressure by the mob, we are still quite worried. There is already one fascist state we are bordering, which is openly antagonising and challenging us, is heavy-handedly staging troop exercises at our border and quite frankly, they are a threat to our security. If Spain would take a similar route, it would be quite worrying and be a burden on our relations.", Laval explained carefully. "I would think, if Spain wanted to improve its standing, it better show that it is part of the civilised community of states, not some neo-barbaric state. In this regard, we would not rule out categorically any assistence and cooperation with your country, as long as we don't feed another threat to our people."

"A shame they feel that way, I don't believe these critics were actually aware of how corrupt and crippled our republic was prior to the civil war. They committed far more atrocities then we ever did, I'm sure you've heard of what happened to Mendoza yes? Before he became who he is, he was a bright eyed idealist who brought a new political party to reinvigorate the republic....he had his eye sliced out his best friends killed and left to die by a corrupt policeman. That is the kind of thing my friend that caused us neo barbarians to take over and I assure you, with every fiber of my being and before god himself, spain would never march onto France." Hoyama looked to his hosts with a cold look, "but we will defend our nation from any and all threats".

Laval looked quite disappointed. "Your reply does not really adress the point I am making, Monsieur Hoyama. While I do think that what your leader experienced is quite tragic, it does not help give us much of a security. But well, how is your Cuban adventure going? It was quite a bit in the news lately."

"Then I don't believe we can convince France at this time we are not a threat, we can only tell you we aren't and that might never be enough"

Hoyama looked annoyed when Cuba was brought up, "I believe we are pulling out of that mess, the cost to fight for the former colony would be too great and Mendoza did not want to throw lives away to an American coalition. Unfortunately this will not bring peace to Cuba civil war will be prevalent in the territory for some time now. Now the empire is focusing on internal issues."

"Weren't the British also involved?", Laval asked with some hint of surprise. "Or did Albion decide that it had some other colonial interests?" More than surprise, the question was marked with worries.

"In terms of security, I would argue that we sign a treaty of non-aggression. We would also hope that Spain respects French interests in her former colonies, just to make sure no conflict ensues."

"I believe a non aggression pact would suffice, Spain has no interest in any French territory." Hoyama drew in close "as for your British friends, we will be keeping an eye on them, not only did they fail to communicate to us their intention to leave they seem to have interest elsewhere. If the Mexican government not told us we would have never known great Britain went behind us and secured a deal."

"That bit of business had our regime on full alert, Spanish warships were actually assembled at Gibraltar in the event a conflict broke out as that region is important for us to be....stable. If France has issues with the British do let us know."