Pizza in Bucharest

Aggressivenutmeg

Confidential

"We would like to request an exchange of ambassadors, as well as a meeting, in order to discuss possible relations between our two countries."

-Mihaela Constante, Minister of Foreign Affairs of Greater Romania

[Private to Romania]

"Ms. Constante, we would be very interested in organising a formal ambassadorial exchange with Romania. As expressed soon after the founding of our nation we would be interested in fostering good relations between our nations. We must apologise for not contacting your government sooner but as I am sure you are aware, we currently have some trouble on our northern border. When the Senate reconvenes tonight, I shall move a motion calling for the appointment of an ambassador to Romania. I'm sure our candidate would be more than happy to meet with you when he arrives in Bucharest."

- Gnaeus Neroni, Acting Secretary-General of the Directorate

The next morning would see the former Milanese diplomatic official Otho Alloti departing to Romania to meet with the Romanian Foreign Minister and oversee the establishment of a Cisalpine embassy.

While the wide-ranging rebuilding of the national capital included the construction of a good few new ministries, including a reconstruction of the Palatul Ministerului de Externe, though located along Bulevardul Lascăr Catargiu, instead of its historic adress, the Victoria square (where now the Victoria Palace was placed, which was scheduled to be renovated once there was enough money at hand), the meeting would need to take place in the normal Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Ambassador Alloti would be given an appointment the very next morning after arriving in Bucharest, where Minister Constante was already awaiting him at the Ministry. A secretary would wait at the entrance to guide Alloti to the meeting room, where a can of coffee, a few croissants, a bit of butter and even some apricot jam had been prepared, in case Alloti had not yet had breakfast.

Alloti would immediately set about making a cup of coffee and preparing a croissant. "Buongiorno signora Constante. Please excuse me for a moment I have not had a chance to eat." Once Alloti had made his coffee he would take a big gulp and sit down a the table. "Thank you for hosting me here in Bucharest. I greatly enjoyed exploring the city last night." Alloti paused to take a couple of bites from his croissant and another gulp of coffee. "Ah, how rude of me, I have not made a proper introduction. My name is Otho Alloti, I have been given the great honor by the Senate to act as the ambassador between our countries." He said, standing and going over to shake the ministers hand.

"No issue. My name is Mihaela Constante, as you already correctly guessed.", the minister would reply with a friendly tone, having herself a cup of coffee. As she accepted the handshake, she'd continue. "I am glad to see you have arrived well and enjoyed your stay up to now. Northern Italy in the last few years has been quite an unstable region, which has caused quite a bit of trouble. We see it as important thus, to see to it, that stability returns and that relations are well. I would hope the Cisalpine Repblic proves to be a stable partner there."

"We hope to prove to be a stable nation for the Italian peninsular as well." Alloti said, resuming his seat to again gulp down his coffee. "After the debacle that was the Milanese state and the nuclear attacks, we hope to successfully rebuild Milan, Turin and Genoa. Although it will be quite some time before the fallout has completely settled. We also seem to be in a bit of bother over the late Snowhaven, the Germans seem desperate to get their hands on it."

"Ah yes, I heard of it." Constante replied, recalling the reports on the issue. "I doubt Alvonia will cause much trouble to you, given we are preparing action to stop their actions in Helvetica, however, Saxony is a bit of a different issue. We would think, diplomacy is a better tool for this matter, given Saxony still is a respectable state in Europe, and I would think they are mostly trying to make a case for the German-speaking community of Helvetica. But it remains to be seen, what will come of this. I would think, if the Cisalpine Republic lives up to its objectives, our nation is willing to lend you a helping hand, both for the reconstruction of Northern Italy, as well as to reclaim at least the Romance-speaking parts of former Snowhaven. Her Majesty and parts of Bucharests high society are very appreciative of cultural ties with Northern Italy, which we see as one more centre of Romance culture and learning. Has there been any contact yet with Saxony on the matter? Any issues?"

"Bologna, in days gone by was a fine centre of art and music, unfortunately it's cultural attractions have fallen by the wayside in recent years." Alloti said while chewing a mouthful of croissant. "Concerning Helvetica, last I heard we were preparing to negotiate with the Saxons over the issue, we believe they would be more than capable of governing the Germanic regions, the control of the entire country is of little concern to us, it is more about securing out northern border and ensuring the safely of the Italian speaking community a mission of protection we wish to expand over the francophone regions. I am fairly confident that we will not come to blows with the Saxons over the region. Alvonia on the other hand is already causing concern for some in the Senate, particularly with their control over Trentino and South Tyrol and now their campaign against 'ultranationalism' in Helvetica. It would be preferable to keep them on the far side of the Alps."

"Alvonia is indeed a troublesome state. However, Cisalpinia needs not worry too much, as we are considering taking action against Alvonia, given their most recent threat against us, in which they dared threaten the Eastern Bloc with military aggression.", Constante stated with quite a bit of visible distain for the Alvonians. "However, I think Alvonia highlights a certain common interest between our nations, which we also see in the Helvetian matter. We would like to offer your nation a security agreement, for a mutual binding defensive alliance. as stated before, Romania would be very happy to have a friend in Italy, who is stable and prudent, while I'd hope, we can offer support in case your country ever be threatened. This cooperation, naturally, we would hope to also extent to cultural exchanges and trade, in order to strengthen the ties between our Romance peoples." Thinking for a moment, Constante finally would add. "And while I sadly cannot give your country the Tyrolian territories and the Trentino, Romania sees no reason to oppose any action of yours to reassert Italian control over these regions, should Alvonia become embroiled in a war with the Eastern coalition. The Bucharest treaty has handed the territory to Alvonia, in order to somewhat compensate them for their losses, however, as we can see, their greet knows no bounds and honestly, we do not feel ourselves obliged to uphold their territorial integrity for them, should it come to war."

"While we have no desire to integrate Trentino into the Republic - rather we would like to see the Alvonians to relinquish control over the territory to our protection - we are thankful to know that we would have your support in the matter." Alloti paused to finish off his coffee and clear his throat before he continued. "Mutual defence is definitely something my government would be interested in. However, there are some concerns about the possibility of such an agreement requiring the Republic to come to the aid of other members of the Eastern Bloc, and I'm sure the Senate would be interested in knowing more about the bloc before ratifying any agreement we make."

"Ah, that is fair.", Constante would respond, before taking a sip from her coffee. Once she put the cup down again, she'd explain. "The Eastern Bloc, well, that's actually an inofficial name, is an agreement between Belarus, Hungary-Slovakia and Romania, which requires all signatories to come to the defense of another signatory, should said signatory come under attack. It also has a clause to allow the Bloc to act on the offensive as Bloc, but that requires the signatories to agree on such a course to be taken. Prussia is kind of an observer to the Bloc, due to its history of cooperating with us, however, they themselves are only formally tied to us. Up to now, the Bloc has only had to fight Alvonia, to curb their expansion into Eastern Europe. The Bloc otherwise is well-connected to its neighbours and we would think, except Alvonia, there shouldn't be anyone who'd we really attack, or who would attack us. Unless there are irrational actors involved, but we cannot account for them."

"Well, I am sure I can ease the Senates concerns with this information." Alloti said, putting the cap back on his pen. He had been taking notes during the ministers explanation. "All things considered, I am very confident my government will see fit to ratify any we come too. Do you have a draft treaty prepared, or should we adjourn until one can be drawn up?"

"Hmmm, wait a moment." Constante put down her cup and started shifting through a number of documents next to her, before handing Alloti a draft.

Cisalpine-Romanian Treaty of Alliance

Preamble

Recognising mutual interests in preserving stability and security in their respective regions and believing in the value of cooperation and friendship between their states, the Cisalpine Republic and the Kingom of Romania (both henceforth referred to as the signatory parties for the remainder of the document) conclude a treaty of alliance to achieve their common objectives by supporting each other.

Article I

The signatory parties agree to settle any political differences between them diplomatically and to seek to prevent open conflict as much as possible. The signatory parties also seek to share any intelligence they have, insofar it is critical for the security of the other signatory party.

Article II

In the case of one of the two signatory parties coming under attack by a third party, the other signatory party is obliged to come to their defense and both signatory parties shall not make any agreements to leave the specific conflict seperate from the other.

Article III

This agreement can be amended at any time through the mutual consent of both signatory parties. This treaty can be cancelled by either one signatory party, but notice has to be given to the other at least six months in advance.

Signatures

For the Cisalpine Republic,

For the Kingdom of Romania,

"If there's anything you'd want to change..."

• 2 weeks later...