Antarctic-Tikal Diplomacy

rok

The leadership of the Principality of Tikal has been invited to the capital of Wakefield to hold a discussion. Once their plane arrives, they will be directed into a conference room in the large Federal Enforcement Services building to discuss a request for land in the Americas as well as any other topics that the diplomatics from Tikal may want to discuss.

As we are all here, we hope that both of our nations may remain peaceful and prosperous. We should be able to set up an embassy for your nation in no time if you want to send an ambassador over.

As for our request we have wanted to discuss, we would like to obtain some land within the Americas. The land we are looking does not have to be large, around 2502 miles. The land would have to be flat and proximity to water will not matter. An island may also be suitable. We will be ready to purchase the land from the nations you are protecting. Will this be possible?

Edited by rok

"Tikal generally doesn't maintain an embassy in other nations, aside from exceptional circumstances or regular communications being required. That aside, and on to your request, I would first like to know what you intend to use this area for, were it provided."

The Antarctic climate is very unsuitable for many larger operations. Our primary goal is to create a full fledged space program. Obtaining land in a more temperate or tropical climate will allow us to achieve this. We will build a space center on the land along with an integrated military base and civilian housing facilities. The entire operation would be peaceful and would simply be allowing us to further our nation along with the rest of the international community.

"A laudable goal, I admit. However, many nations in the Americas have recently come together to discuss a treaty in protecting American soil from other continents. This, coupled with Tikal's long-standing commitment to our Monroe Doctrine, sadly forces me to decline your request.

"However, I can offer Tikal's own facilities for your launches, or an entirely new space center could be built, perhaps inspired by Kennedy or Lyndon B. Johnson Space Center - colloquially known as Cape Canaveral and Houston, respectively. Trinidad&Tobago would be an excellent location for such a center, as Tikal's own facilities do not use conventional rocketry.

"Under such an agreement, that is, building a new space center for use by your nation and possibly others, we would allow a small contingent of Antarctic troops to accompany civilians, though the land would de jure continue to be Tikal's, and the islands would continue to be a strategic fleet base. It would certainly solve any issues with other American nations taking offence to Antarctica wishing to buy or own territory. What do you think?"

While we do appreciate the offer, we must decline. We were hoping to have a land to be exclusively our own to avoid regulations that may interfere with work. We also do not want interruptions from politics to have any effect on our work by slowing us down. We will have to find different lands to house a new space center.

We still look forward to cooperative relations with Tikal.

"Unfortunate, but that's how it is. But perhaps you could see if Japan is willing to offer you a Pacific Island for a Space Center? It's worth asking.

Regardless, I very much hope that we may have positive and fruitful relations in the future. Perhaps a Non-Aggression Treaty, though if you would wish to discuss this at another time, I understand."

"Most excellent. If you'd give me just a moment..." The Prince activated his wrist-mounted holoPC, assembling a quick treaty from standard phrasings. It took only a minute or two, after which he showed the Antarctic Reps the English version - as they probably couldn't read Yucatec Maya.

Preamble

The Principality of Tikal and the Antarctic Federation (henceforth Principality and Federation) acknowledge their friendship through this treaty of peace, intelligence, and aid. Both the Principality and Federation are to remain sovereign, and commit to peaceful relations and mutual respect.

Article I: Peace

Both signatories agree not to commit in hostile actions against the other party. Hostile actions include, but are not limited to: aid and support of one's enemies, open warfare, espionage, threats, and negative/provocative comments and/or actions during public discourse.

Article II: Intelligence

Both parties agree to share any and all relevant information concerning the welfare of either signatory. Giving false information shall be considered a delinquency of this treaty, making it void.

Article III: Aid

Both signatories may request financial aid from the other through formal private channels. Such requests need not be fulfilled, though it is encouraged.

Article IV: Economic Cooperation

Both signatories agree to work towards technological and economic cooperation to work towards mutually beneficial economic growth and shared prosperity.

Article V: Cancellation

Both signatories agree to give a 72 hour notice in the event of the cancellation of this official and precious document.

Signed for the Principality of Tikal,

Signed for the Antarctic Federation,

"If you've any suggestions to change it, please tell me. Otherwise, I can sign it right away."

"Most excellent."

Signed for the Principality of Tikal,

His Eternal Highness Chak Tok Ich'aak,

Ajaw ichil Tikal, Huatlatoani Tlahtoloyan

The Prince signed the digital treaty with flourish, then moved the hard light hologram to let the Antarctic Representative sign.

"I will have printed copies sent to you right after I return home. May both our futures be bright and peaceful."

Edited by Lynneth