Zapadnaya-Romania Diplomacy

Imperator Azenquor

The following private message would be sent to the government of the Kingdom of Greater Romania:

To: The Government of the Kingdom of Greater Romania

Fr: Office of the Presidency, Government of Zapadnaya 

On behalf of the government of Zapadnaya, I extend formal greetings to Her Majesty the Queen of the Romanians and to her government.

In light of a number of recent regional developments including the collapse of the Kingdom of Sparta, as well as our desire to address the tensions which have marked the relationship between our two countries, I would like to request a meeting with the Romanian government to discuss the situation.

As President of Zapadnaya, I hope to use this opportunity to establish a channel of communication between Romania and Zapadnaya and to use this line of communication to identify areas of potential cooperation between our nations.

-Paskal Dragomirov

Edited by Imperator Azenquor

To: Office of the Presidency, Government of Zapadnaya

From: Office of the Prime Minister, Her Majesty's Government of Greater Romania

Mister Dragomirov,

We are happy to receive your greetings and we appreciate your sentiment. Recent developments indeed have changed the diplomatic situation on the Balkans quite a bit and it seems to us that a meeting with you may be of great value in improving our mutual understanding and promoting regional stability.

It would thus be an honour for us to accept your offer and we are willing to receive you in Bucharest for a meeting in my office in Victoria Palace.

With regards,

Alexandru Vlasceanu

Prime Minister of Greater Romania

In reply to the message from the government of Romania, the following private message would be sent to the Romanian government:

To: Office of the Prime Minister, HM’s Government of Greater Romania

Fr: Office of the Presidency, Government of Zapadnaya

Prime Minister Vlasceanu,

Thank you for your reply. I will depart for Bucharest without delay.

-Paskal Dragomirov

==

Once the necessary preparations were made and agreed to with the Romanian government, the Zapadnayan President’s aircraft would depart Sofia for Bucharest. As soon as he arrived, President Dragomirov went to greet his Romanian hosts.

3YldPRVl.jpg

Victoria Palace, the seat of the Romanian Prime Minister was maybe not the greatest piece of architecture, but it was what was there. And although the reconstruction plan for the capital had called for it to be razed on multiple occasions already, it was still standing, out of the necessity for an office for the Prime Minister. Dragomirov would be greeted by a state secretary, who would then guide the President to the office of Vlasceanu, who already awaited his guest. From inside, the building would look a lot better than from the outside, having been refurbished, to be less of an embarrassment for Greater Romania.

"Greetings, Mister Dragomirov. I would hope the journey was not too unpleasant. Well, I guess it at least was not too long, from Sofia to Bucharest. Please take a seat. Can we serve you a glass of water? Orange juice? A cup of coffee?", Vlasceanu asked, as he stood up from behind his office desk to shake the President's hand.

[i]“It was a rather short and tolerable trip, your Excellency. Thank you for agreeing to this meeting.”[/i]

After pondering for a few seconds, Dragomirov replied: 

[i]“A cup of coffee would be wonderful. Thank you.”[/i]

The Zapadnayan President shook the Romanian Prime Minister’s hand before taking the offered seat.

[i]“Prime Minister Vlasceanu, I requested to meet with you firstly in order to address the lack of a formal channel of communication between our two countries despite our close proximity. This lack of a communication channel became most apparent during the recent closure of our northern border. As the decision to open an embassy and to exchange diplomats was not taken previously, I would like to extend an offer to the Romanian government to open an embassy in Sofia. Additionally, should your government approve, we are prepared to dispatch a diplomatic representative to Bucharest.”[/i]

One of the interns working for the Prime Ministers office would immediatly leave, to get some coffee.

Settling behind his desk again, Vlasceanu meanwhile listened to dragomirov attentively, before responding. "Naturally we would aggree to a meeting. Just as I'll agree to an exchange of embassies and diplomatic representants. We are very interested in seeing the regional peace preserved, it would be favourable to have some ways of exchange with our neighbours. as you say, the most recent border crisis indeed showed, how fragile peace can be without proper communications. Repetitions of this instance we should definitely seek to avoid in the future."

The Zapadnayan President nodded while making a few quick notes.

“An excellent first step, your Excellency. I look forward to receiving the Romanian Ambassador to Zapadnaya upon his or her appointment. Additionally, we shall dispatch a Zapadnayan Ambassador to present his credentials to Her Majesty’s representative without delay.

I am glad to see that both our governments are concerned with the maintenance of regional peace and stability. I hope that meaningful stability in our region can be maintained and enhanced through direct engagement between regional nations including between Zapadnaya and Romania and by extension the other members of the Eastern Bloc. We hope to use the channels of communication established today to facilitate this engagement. On that note we would like to express our support of Romania's intervention to secure the Bosphorus straits in light of the sudden collapse of the Spartan and the Roman nations.

Regarding the recent border crisis, we shall in future ensure that the reasons for any disruptions to the normal flow of traffic along the border are communicated to the Romanian government in a timely manner. Additionally, we will in future ensure that our diplomatic representatives are available to address any concerns on the Romanian side should a similar border closure occur in the future.

Secondly, I would like to discuss the prospect of signing a Non-aggression pact between our two nations and to explore the prospect of an economic agreement to increase trade and reduce tariffs.”-Dragomirov

As Dragomirov finished, he would get his freshly brewed coffee, as the intern returned, before vanishing into the background again.

Vlasceanu meanwhile waited until the intern left, preferring to respond when there was not some third person around openly. "Such an agreement seems acceptable to us and would most likely do much to reassure each other of peaceful intentions and make any escalation more costly politically and economically. I gladly conclude a non-aggression pact and it would be great to see more trade between our nations, which hopefully gives some regional development to our border regions as well. On that note, I thank you for your support on the matter of the Straits. I'll reassure you, unless there's a very severe crisis, civil shipping along the Danube and through the Straits will go free of charge and we're doing our best to combat any forms of piracy and other threats."

After thanking the intern, the Zapadnayan President would take a sip of his coffee. After listening intently, President Dragomirov spoke:

[i]“I am glad that we could identify areas of common interest, your Excellency, and I hope that we may further deepen bilateral cooperation in the future. Your reassurance regarding civilian shipping via the Danube and the Bosphorus is noted and greatly appreciated by my government.

In the spirit of contributing to enhancing mutual trust and communication between our nations, I would welcome any questions that you may have regarding Zapadnaya or our policies.”[/i]-Dragomirov

Vlasceanu considered for a minute what to ask, before raising a question. "Well, I would say, most important would be to us, what Zapadnaya would define as its national interests, which it tries to achieve through its foregn policy, what it sees as the position of Zapadnaya in Europe and also, we would be interested in what you would define as possible prospects for greater regional cooperation between the Balkan states, including of course also Yugoslavia."

“Our national interests are threefold. Firstly we seek to ensure the maintenance of Zapadnaya’s sovereignty and territorial integrity in a world in which a small set of nations appear to hold the view that international borders are temporary obstacles to much wider ambitions. Secondly we seek to strengthen cooperation between our nation and our Balkan and South-east European neighbors in order to support regional stability. We hope that our ties with the Kingdom of Yugoslavia, and the improving of the ties between our two nations will help to enhance this effort as well. Thirdly, in light of the recent Milanese nuclear terrorism, we seek to identify instigators of regional instability so that we may utilize available and appropriate tools to counter the instigation of the aforementioned instability.

As for Zapadnaya’s place in Europe, I will admit that the collapse of the European Community and it’s overall failure has shaken our country’s faith in Europe somewhat. The actions of the Alvonian government have not exactly helped matters either. Despite this, the reality remains that our nation’s fate is inextricably linked with Europe. As such we hope to develop ties with other European nations provided that those ties serve to strengthen stability rather than to grant political cover for actions which are to the detriment of the nations on our continent.

It is our hope, should ties between our nation and the other nations in the Balkan region continue to develop along a positive trajectory, that further cooperation could include economic cooperation as well as counterterrorism and military cooperation.

Do forgive me, your Excellency, I appear to be rambling on.”-Dragomirov

The Zapadnayan President would take another sip of his coffee while for Premier Vlasceanu’s reply.

"No, no. Nothing that needs to be forgiven", Vlasceanu would reply calmly. "Your words and views are very appreciated, even if - no, especially if they are truthful. And I think, partly, Her Majesty does share certain hopes. As it stands, Romania is united and has little in territorial ambitions. With the Bosporus secured, there is no further reason to take action for a revision of borders on our part and we would think, this generally may be a sentiment on the Balkans, which gives us some hope. Revisionists will always exist on this earth, however, we would hope they can be kept away, so no harm comes to our neighbourhood. In this regard, we too hope that relations between our countries will improve and Her Majesty is very eager to promote peace and stability between Yugoslavia and our nation. While certain disagreements in the past did prevent stronger ties, careful dipolmacy and diplomatic understanding has somewhat managed to prevent a souring of relations. It is our hope that once their issues with Carthage are out of the way, a cooperative dialogue can be established between Belgrade and Bucharest, where of course, Sofia could become a valuable regional partner too. Regarding instability, this indeed is currently the greatest concern, though it is one we'd hope to soon overcome. Central Europe, for all intents and purposes is filled with it, but it seems, order is settling in. There is the Cisalpine Republic and Saxony as somewhat reasonable and calm countries, which will hopefully overall calm the region, once any and all disputes in the region have been settled. The problem areas to us, are wandering west, and we would hope they'd stop, once they would cross the Rhine, given that we have stable countries west of it as well."

"Cooperation on the Balkans surely is a good long-term objective. While we may not conclude anything deeper than what we already agreed upon, I would see this Non-aggression treaty and the prospect of strengthened trade ties as a good starting point. Would you have a draft ready, or shall I ask for one to be made?"

“I would welcome participation in a regional dialogue between Zapadnaya, Romania and Yugoslavia, and such an initiative would have the clear support of my government. We share the hope that the…let us say…agent of instability, in Central Europe will be convinced of the necessity of a stable and peaceful European continent.

Regarding the text, I have taken the liberty of drafting the following document based upon our consultations thus far. I would welcome your input on the text of the document, your Excellency.” – President Dragomirov

===

Zapadnaya-Romania Non Aggression Pact & Economic Agreement

Article I: Sovereignty

The Kingdom of Greater Romania (hereafter referred to as ‘Romania’) and the Zapadnayan Republic (hereafter referred to as ‘Zapadnaya’) shall retain their sovereignty. The signatories of this pact hereby agree to recognize the sovereignty and territorial integrity of the other signatory and shall agree not to take any action to undermine the aforementioned sovereignty or territorial integrity, nor shall either signatory permit their territory to be used for such a purpose.

Article II: Non-Aggression

Both signatories, Romania and Zapadnaya, shall agree not to undertake any act of aggression, be it overt or covert in nature, against the other signatory. Acts of aggression include, but are by no means limited to: military action, acts of espionage, blockades and embargoes.

Article III: Trade

Both signatories pledge to encourage increased trade and economic cooperation where such cooperation is possible. Romania and Zapadnaya shall agree to identify economic sectors in which tariffs on products from the other signatory may be reduced. Signatories are highly encouraged, though by no means obligated, to lower trade tariffs in the aforementioned economic sectors.

Article IV: Further Cooperation

Both signatories shall explore areas of further cooperation between themselves and shall reserve the right to amend this agreement (on the basis of mutual approval) to include such bilateral cooperation.

Article V: Cancellation

Should either signatory feel that this pact is no longer in the best interests of their nation, they may cancel the pact provided that the notice of the intent to cancel the pact is communicated simultaneously to the other signatory's embassy and government. Once the notice of the intent to cancel the pact is received, there shall be a 2 day (OOC: 24 hours IRL) period before the treaty shall be void. During this period, both signatories remain bound by the terms of the pact.

Signed for the Kingdom of Greater Romania
Alexandru Vlasceanu, Prime Minister of Greater Romania

Signed for the Zapadnayan Republic
Paskal Dragomirov, President of Zapadnaya

"This seems fine as it is. Thanks.", Vlasceanu replied, before signing it.

Alexandru Vlasceanu, Prime Minister of Greater Romania

"I guess it'll later go to your parliament and our monarch for ratification, but I'm very optimistic it will pass on our end and hopefully also on yours."

“Indeed. I will transmit the pact to the Senate upon my return to Zapadnaya. I expect that ratification will take place without significant delay on our part. Once the Senate votes on ratification, we will inform the Romanian government of the result.

Also, the Zapadnayan government has appointed Dr. Olya Mihova to serve as our Ambassador to Greater Romania. Dr. Mihova will be dispatched to Greater Romania shortly to present her credentials.”-Dragomirov

The Zapadnayan President would add his signature to the document.

“Your Excellency, once again thank you for hosting this meeting. I hope that the actions taken here today serve not only to strengthen ties between our two governments but to create a genuine atmosphere of friendship and trust between our people.”

[i]“I look forward to meeting Ambassador Petrescu in Sofia.”[/i]-President Dragomirov

After thanking his Romanian hosts, the President would depart for Zapadnaya.

Three hours later, Dr. Olya Mihova arrived to present her credentials to the Romanian government and to take up her post as Zapadnayan Ambassador to Romania. Upon her arrival in Romania she would also inform the Romanian government that the Zapadnayan Senate had ratified the treaty.