Seperating of OOC and IC

Beauty

When you're using the same avatar as your previous character, you're recognizable as your previous character right away even to people not trying to draw the connection. So if you're serious about creating a new persona and want people to think of you as a different person IC; you should create one with major differences from your previous one. Maybe if you created a male persona who doesn't always try to be the center of attention, people would be able to more easily accept you as a different person IC (and it would be easier for you to make your new character different). With just a name change, while falling back on the same personality and imagery; you rerolling seems to of just caused you to lose your wonders.

If I changed my name and kept using the same avatar, I'm pretty sure people would see the connection pretty fast even if they weren't trying. I haven't been paying attention to this drama, but as soon as I saw the avatar I knew who you were without even needing to read anything said. You probably shouldn't reuse any of the avatars you've used with Rota if you don't want people to make the automatic subconscious connection.

Edited by Methrage

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As others have said, maybe try re-rolling again. This time, don't tell anyone who you are and try to make a convincing job of it (change forum name/imagery/irc info/etc). People are less likely to judge you for your past character if they don't know who it is. If an alliance chooses to deny your app because you're a noob, go for a different alliance. As far as I'm aware, there are still plenty who are willing to give nubcakes a chance (maybe avoid applying to TOP though :P).

Have a think about how you want your character to behave. How did Rotavele behave, what can you do differently? You want to play the "bad guy"? Well how are you going to go about that? Try to come up with some long term plan and stick with it.

If you do this, and people still manage to hunt you down to persecute you because of the past, I think the community will have much more sympathy for you. 

If you legitimately want to be a part of this community then make a conscientious effort to participate in a constructive manner. The same attitude of attention seeking and intentional agitation isn't going to earn you any new friends or separate yourself from your previous persona.

Were you really trying to keep the name change a secret, or did you make that up on the fly?

http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?/topic/123460-ban-appeal/

I've spoken many times on IRC about the Nicholas Cages who blurt out "HEY BEAUTY IS ROTAVELE" as if they went on a huge quest to find my identity when it was found by IP logs and the person who told others has already apologized for it. However on your issue, it seems another person in this thread believed the ban appeal released my identity. As I answered him, the ban appeal wasn't until after my identity was released on IRC and other mediums after my applications for another alliance. I told Val privately and did not appeal the OWF ban until afterwards.

I understand that some are visual learners so I'll try to draw a timeline

Application for Valhalla -> Rejected -> Someone is told I am Rotavele -> Said person amsgs his IRC channels with me in three of them -> Ban Appeal

For another thing to attempt to jog your memory, The guy with the dead bunny skeleton avatar (Forgot his name) had invited me to join Kashmir and we talked for a few messages over the pieriod of a few days as he didn't know who I was. Seeing as I see him post regularly, he would of known about the ban appeal in that amount of time.

If you need more elaboration, I will help you by private message try to understand whats going on.

Sorry but just because you change your name doesn't mean you aren't the same character only hiding your true self more.

If you really want to fully explore your character without people still thinking of you in that way, create completely new accounts and change your name again. 

And don't tell anyone who you really are, ever.

When you're using the same avatar as your previous character, you're recognizable as your previous character right away even to people not trying to draw the connection. So if you're serious about creating a new persona and want people to think of you as a different person IC; you should create one with major differences from your previous one. Maybe if you created a male persona who doesn't always try to be the center of attention, people would be able to more easily accept you as a different person IC (and it would be easier for you to make your new character different). With just a name change, while falling back on the same personality and imagery; you rerolling seems to of just caused you to lose your wonders.

If I changed my name and kept using the same avatar, I'm pretty sure people would see the connection pretty fast even if they weren't trying. I haven't been paying attention to this drama, but as soon as I saw the avatar I knew who you were without even needing to read anything said. You probably shouldn't reuse any of the avatars you've used with Rota if you don't want people to make the automatic subconscious connection.

As others have said, maybe try re-rolling again. This time, don't tell anyone who you are and try to make a convincing job of it (change forum name/imagery/irc info/etc). People are less likely to judge you for your past character if they don't know who it is. If an alliance chooses to deny your app because you're a noob, go for a different alliance. As far as I'm aware, there are still plenty who are willing to give nubcakes a chance (maybe avoid applying to TOP though :P).

Have a think about how you want your character to behave. How did Rotavele behave, what can you do differently? You want to play the "bad guy"? Well how are you going to go about that? Try to come up with some long term plan and stick with it.

If you do this, and people still manage to hunt you down to persecute you because of the past, I think the community will have much more sympathy for you. 

Yes and that's the point of this thread. ICly Rotavele is dead, ICly no one should associate a dead player with another player as it wouldn't make any sense in the real world. This is why I made this thread about we need to get a seperation of IC and OOC. However I think many people just may not know what IC and OOC is rather than purposely confusing it.

IC is basically in character. Everything posted in IC forums reflect your character. It's as if it's a totally different world. OOC should not come into it. If you OOCly know a character is someone else, you shouldn't associate them as that character. That is bringing OOC into IC. That is why I made this thread about separating it better. For a tip, You can post in an IC medium and have OOC tags around it signifying that it's OOC from that point.

This is rich.

So is your nation. *Shakes Fist*

That's what Beauty is also in favour of, at least according to her. Unless you're talking of "Rotavele" as the Real person, of course.

Yes sir! :)

Good luck with your re-branding, Beauty.

Thank you Bub :)

Edited by Beauty

When someone is clearly the same person, its not easy for everyone to mentally alter reality for you, when you put no effort in. You still look the same and act the same. If you do so you are not obviously Rota, then they don't need to make any mental leap for you. Since they don't know, it becomes much easier for them to accept the reality you present to them if you make it believable.

You can whine about how a reroll works or do it right. Not even sure why you rerolled if you were going to intentionally draw on your previous persona.

When someone is clearly the same person, its not easy for everyone to mentally alter reality for you, when you put no effort in. You still look the same and act the same. If you do so you are not obviously Rota, then they don't need to make any mental leap for you. Since they don't know, it becomes much easier for them to accept the reality you present to them if you make it believable.

You can whine about how a reroll works or do it right. Not even sure why you rerolled if you were going to intentionally draw on your previous persona.

I don't know if you're not reading or what.

I was never given a chance to play a new character.

I have not even really posted but about 3 things as beauty. Those 3 things are the complete opposite of Rotavele. Rotavele was a die hard MCXA fan. Beauty is not. The other two things i've posted have nothing to do with my character. You say I am acting like Rotavele in character still, but I don't think you know what that means. Use links to back yourself up in the future.

If you repeat it for a third time I will repeat that again and bold it.

EDIT: Also Hence how beauty isn't constantly sissy fighting with Stewie and others constantly in IC, taking cheap shots at NG, pestering Rey, or etc when there's been many opportunities present.

Edited by Beauty

I believe it was Doitzel who said that most people in CN would benefit from tighter lips and thicker skins.

I remember him saying that people being imprudent doesn't in any way excuse those taking advantage of it.
Of course, both things are probably true and Doitzel might have said both, too.

As I hadn't said it yet: good luck Beauty with your new life.

I remember him saying that people being imprudent doesn't in any way excuse those taking advantage of it.
Of course, both things are probably true and Doitzel might have said both, too.

As I hadn't said it yet: good luck Beauty with your new life.

Thank you Boo.

Yes and that's the point of this thread. ICly Rotavele is dead, ICly no one should associate a dead player with another player as it wouldn't make any sense in the real world. This is why I made this thread about we need to get a seperation of IC and OOC. However I think many people just may not know what IC and OOC is rather than purposely confusing it.

IC is basically in character. Everything posted in IC forums reflect your character. It's as if it's a totally different world. OOC should not come into it. If you OOCly know a character is someone else, you shouldn't associate them as that character. That is bringing OOC into IC. That is why I made this thread about separating it better. For a tip, You can post in an IC medium and have OOC tags around it signifying that it's OOC from that point.

People don't separate OOC from IC or the other way around well, so you should know that.

If I disliked you IC I would also dislike you OOC.

[21:43] <01Petro> did you guys boot rota already?
[21:44] <01Blazer> YEA
[21:44] <01Blazer> We did get rid of that prick
[21:44] <01L_H> Blazer has always blown with the wind
[21:45] <01Petro> well there goes the raiding plans for update
[21:45] <01Petro> tongue.png
[21:45] <01Blazer> for rota right
[21:45] <01Blazer> I'll kill him with my bare hands if I see him in real life
[21:45] <01Kenfolk> do it
[21:46] <01Blazer> I need very personal info if you guys have that then sure
[21:46] <01dane0[NG|TLG]> Alabama
[21:46] <01Kenfolk> what gives you that impression dane?
03[21:47] * ChanServ sets mode: +oq Blackeyebilly[SAS] Blackeyebilly[SAS]
[21:47] <01Kenfolk> he uses vpns to hide behind so we can't find him irl
[21:47] <06~Blackeyebilly[SAS]> Hey
[21:47] <01Greywall> he's from alabama
[21:47] <01Blazer> BILLY YOUR SOOO DIED
[21:47] <01dane0[NG|TLG]> Kenfolk: he used to be not so smart
01[21:47] <01Red> he means it too
[21:47] <06~Blackeyebilly[SAS]> 'Died?
[21:47] <01Kenfolk> can we narrow it down beyond a state?

That's from a post in Mogar's thread.

Mogar's thread?

Anyway, I think you can rest soundly knowing these internet tough guys aren't going to do anything. However, I do believe attempting to track down locations and making threats of death is actually a crime in the US. You guys are a bunch of clowns.

Honestly at this point it's just a toxic situation for you. Just move on and be quiet, and drop the sympathy act. Delete, re-roll or quit.

This is rich.

As is your presence here.

People don't OOC attack me because most everything I share is IC and that which is OOC, I don't care if they make fun of me for.  Maybe people should just be less sensitive and not overshare information in a game that's notorious for backstabbing and trickery.

Very much in agreement here. Some people get a little too attached and you set yourself up for these damn games.

I believe it was Doitzel who said that most people in CN would benefit from tighter lips and thicker skins.

Holy !@#$, it's kingzog.

Welcome back

Edited by Starfox101

Mogar's thread?

Anyway, I think you can rest soundly knowing these internet tough guys aren't going to do anything. However, I do believe attempting to track down locations and making threats of death is actually a crime in the US. You guys are a bunch of clowns.

Honestly at this point it's just a toxic situation for you. Just move on and be quiet, and drop the sympathy act. Delete, re-roll or quit.

It is a crime, but I don't result to using OOC tactics to get revenge. I've learned to be better than that lately.

Also not going to sink to their level of ruining someone's life. They'd never be able to get a good job in their real lives with a charge of death threats or cyber bullying in the real world.

People don't separate OOC from IC or the other way around well, so you should know that.

If I disliked you IC I would also dislike you OOC.

That is the point of this thread.
Edited by Beauty

I'd be more in favor of the separating of Rotavele and Cyber Nations

Rotavele is dead, or at least he/she is supposed to be.  If you are speaking of the person who plays Rotavele, I'd argue that person generates more positive activity in the CN community than you do, your in game donations included.

Why? Simple.  He creates interesting and compelling characters you love to hate or at least have a reaction to and you want to know what he says.  Don't believe me?  You read the OP and commented.  So have many others.

If it were a simple problem of people over sharing and expecting to be accepted no matter what, you'd have a point.  But it doesn't seem to matter whether you over share or not, if someone wants to try to assassinate your reputation within the community in an effort to get you to quit the game, they'll do whatever is necessary, including just making up shit.

A few times you've mentioned secrecy in 'beauty' a couple times ..

"I relayed to Val and Invicta who I was in private and asked for it to be kept quiet even if rejected. No idea who released it originally"

You realize your name change request succeeded in this ... No one else is to really blame if it's "known" that Beaty is Rota when it was on public display ...

As said, if you wanted a true go at a re-roll instead of this !@#$%^&* then you would have done it quietly ... new nation, NEW forum account, new attitude, new personality ... Changing a books cover or title doesn't change the story..

If 'Rota' is suchan IC personality different from your OOC self, then it should be zero trouble pretending to be someone else ... Try again with effort next time ...

Were you really trying to keep the name change a secret, or did you make that up on the fly?

http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?/topic/123460-ban-appeal/

- blaming other people for "letting the secret out" -

You didn't do a good job "creating a secret", and you have not acted different as Beauty from Rotavele no matter how much you cry it .. Edited by Rayvon

Rotavele is dead, or at least he/she is supposed to be.  If you are speaking of the person who plays Rotavele, I'd argue that person generates more positive activity in the CN community than you do, your in game donations included.

Why? Simple.  He creates interesting and compelling characters you love to hate or at least have a reaction to and you want to know what he says.  Don't believe me?  You read the OP and commented.  So have many others.

You consider "this person really needs to leave the game, permanently" positive activity? Because that's the most common reaction to Rotavele, character and player, I've seen. And no, it's not a position I hold so long as he doesn't repeat the stupid OOC shit.

You consider "this person really needs to leave the game, permanently" positive activity? Because that's the most common reaction to Rotavele, character and player, I've seen. And no, it's not a position I hold so long as he doesn't repeat the stupid OOC !@#$.

There's also positive statements regarding his return.  But let's talk for a moment about the player stuff.  A lot of the people saying it equate player with character 100%.  They refuse/can't differentiate between the two.

We are otherwise in agreement.  What he did was as FAN would say, "weapons grade stupid" and as a player he needs to avoid a repeat or the value he brings with his activity and ability to generate controversy IC will be so totally out weighed by his asshattery that his participation will be unwelcome by the CN community.

Most people do very little to establish an "IC" persona, separate from their "OOC" persona.  In-game biases (liking or disliking certain alliances, grudges, etc.) is a separate thing from personality.  Most people's "IC" personality very closely resembles their "OOC" personality since most do very little to roleplay and have a separate "IC" personality.  Only a few players (Hime Themis comes to mind) really make any effort to make a separation.

I don't know much about rotavele/beauty, having never really followed him/her.  But from this thread, it appears that the primary issue that he/she has is people dislike her personality.  And it doesn't appear that he/she has a separate IC from OOC personality.  

I don't know if you're not reading or what.

I was never given a chance to play a new character.

I have not even really posted but about 3 things as beauty. Those 3 things are the complete opposite of Rotavele. Rotavele was a die hard MCXA fan. Beauty is not. The other two things i've posted have nothing to do with my character. You say I am acting like Rotavele in character still, but I don't think you know what that means. Use links to back yourself up in the future.

If you repeat it for a third time I will repeat that again and bold it.

EDIT: Also Hence how beauty isn't constantly sissy fighting with Stewie and others constantly in IC, taking cheap shots at NG, pestering Rey, or etc when there's been many opportunities present.

The extent people separate Tywin from previous identities, like Junkalunka, is only to the extent of whether they knew his previous identity and are aware of the connection. As soon as people know, the reroll essentially becomes pointless if the intention was for people to think you someone else. The more attention you bring to the connection, the harder it will be to make people forget. Before Tywin revealed he was Junka, I thought him a different person. After he revealed it, my opinion of him is now also based on my opinion of Junkalunka. Since they are same person.

If people were putting you on ZI lists because of the connection, then they might be crossing a line. However if people know who you are and they choose not to accept you into their alliance, then that is just their right to have discretion in who they want in their alliances. If you want people to act and think as if you are a different person, you need to actually convince them you are a different person.

Edited by Methrage

The extent people separate Tywin from previous identities, like Junkalunka, is only to the extent of whether they knew his previous identity and are aware of the connection. As soon as people know, the reroll essentially becomes pointless if the intention was for people to think you someone else. The more attention you bring to the connection, the harder it will be to make people forget. Before Tywin revealed he was Junka, I thought him a different person. After he revealed it, my opinion of him is now also based on my opinion of Junkalunka. Since they are same person.

If people were putting you on ZI lists because of the connection, then they might be crossing a line. However if people know who you are and they choose not to accept you into their alliance, then that is just their right to have discretion in who they want in their alliances. If you want people to act and think as if you are a different person, you need to actually convince them you are a different person.

This thread isn't based on Rotavele and Beauty, it's based on OOC and IC separation and the person drawing attention to the Rotavele-Beauty connection is yourself at this point.

This thread isn't based on Rotavele and Beauty, it's based on OOC and IC separation and the person drawing attention to the Rotavele-Beauty connection is yourself at this point.

And it was started by you ... You made yourself the subject by the very nature of being the OP (much like how Rey was a bad choice for the other thread against you) ..

No matter how much you try, unless you step back and really make an effort NOTHING IS GOING TO CHANGE.

You are you. Whether "Rota" or "Beauty" you are you and you put you into both of them ..... You need less you in your characters if you want to make the distinction and rag on others for lacking distinction ...

And it was started by you ... You made yourself the subject by the very nature of being the OP (much like how Rey was a bad choice for the other thread against you) ..

No matter how much you try, unless you step back and really make an effort NOTHING IS GOING TO CHANGE.

You are you. Whether "Rota" or "Beauty" you are you and you put you into both of them ..... You need less you in your characters if you want to make the distinction and rag on others for lacking distinction ...

I am sorry, but I am afraid you still do not understand my point,

The person behind Rotavele and Beauty are nothing like them. They would contradict many of my personal values. I've said this repeatedly and really wish you'd read without the notion that some people in the real world are exactly like their characters. I've met a few other people who are the same as me. We've had Skype conversations and we all differ enormously. Despite how Rotavele has hurt your feelings in the past, I assure you I am nothing like that person in reality. If you've ever heard me on the radio you'd know in the real world I am absolutely nothing like my personas. This has been said several times. It even came up as a shortly touched on topic in Brehon's Radio Shows awhile ago. Despite your hate for the character Rotavele you're taking this a bit too seriously and I only say that because it does nothing but breed anger for the real you. It's honestly worthless. Feeling real emotions over a work of fiction doesn't effect me or anyone except you. That goes for many out there.

It's as if you read a good book, you feel emotionally invested sure, but you let it go and know that it's only a work of fiction after a few moments. Stephen Spielberg is notorious for this in his films and works of art. You feel a little angry at the character at the end, but in the real world if you ever met the actor, you'd know they're not the serial killer from the movie. Granted there are no doubt people who see that movies, and if ever meeting the actor they'd feel animosity towards them. However those people are only wasting their time and hurting their own emotions when they could be happy doing and thinking about other things rather than their hate for one person. I hope you understand.

If you'd be interested I have other worldly characters I have played completely opposite of Rotavele. You may feel more better towards them if you're actually interested in the art of Character and Role Playing.