Seperating of OOC and IC

Beauty

If you're reading this you most likely know I am the person who plays one of, If not the absolutely most hated characters in this community. I enjoy being the little evil villain or generally a very vocal person in the community when playing my character (Rotavele, Now Beauty). 

Lately, there's been a lot of crossing between this IC and OOC barrier. First, it was my thoughtless remark when over stepping the line. Then a less dramatic version of Oyababy doing the same. Finally, targeting people in real life, and attempting to locate me for violent acts. (Not Rotavele, Not Beauty, Not Rotavele's OOC Persona, but me as a person in the real world.) I try to play two characters in the OOC and IC worlds respectively. So sometimes it's hard to differentiate. In fact, it probably shouldn't be me posting this due to people associating me as my character and some people carry the distaste for my character onto my real personal life.

Anyways, the point of this is something I would of never thought to have seen in the year of 2014. As you know my character makes some pretty exaggerated remarks and gets pretty necessary repercussions as a little drama starter. That's perfectly reasonable  However, something that definitely isn't reasonable is expelling someone from your community based purely on their real world sexuality. My character is a female, and has never had an encounter to express what sexuality she is. That's why it really caught me off guard to see someone blatantly list my sexuality as a reason for expulsion. Needless to say my character was outraged, as she was not a homosexual or even a male in regards to what was said. I've had several alliances kick me off the AA for posting, dramatic past, etc. So I mean it was a huge shock to hear that being homosexual in the real world was a reason I was being expelled. I think anyone in my shoes would assume it was a joke, but after further prying, they were pretty serious. 

That happened. That is disgusting. Yet, let us not dwell on this, or even discuss this further. To those in Supernova-X (Not naming the young men who listed this as the reason for expulsion), I forgive you. That's the only 3 words I wanted to say. Granted at your age, you do not know how it feels yet to be in a group of persons who is discriminated against. I can only hope once you mature and step out in the real world you will not be the same way you are now. All is good and well in my mind, and I wish you the best in life. We all make distasteful comments while young (Or in my case I still do when I get a bit passionate).

-------------------

With that said, It shouldn't be an issue any further. The scary part is these things are running rampant in the community in this past month. As the person who plays the character of Beauty (Formerly Rotavele), I'd really like to ask people to return to following the IC/OOC barrier and understanding exactly how this game should be played. At the end of the day, it's a game. This is not the real world, and your real life should have no place here. You may put your beliefs and thoughts here, but never should your real life be pulled into this game. Everyone should have a separate real life (OOC, or even make an OOC persona like myself to keep your real life completely out of it). You're here to play a nation as a character (IC). Never should you mix the two.

tl;dr Separate IC and OOC better, Please?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was once a young Shepherd Boy who tended his sheep at the foot of a mountain near a dark forest. It was rather lonely for him all day, so he thought upon a plan by which he could get a little company and some excitement. He rushed down towards the village calling out "Wolf, Wolf," and the villagers came out to meet him, and some of them stopped with him for a considerable time. This pleased the boy so much that a few days afterwards he tried the same trick, and again the villagers came to his help. But shortly after this a Wolf actually did come out from the forest, and began to worry the sheep, and the boy of course cried out "Wolf, Wolf," still louder than before. But this time the villagers, who had been fooled twice before, thought the boy was again deceiving them, and nobody stirred to come to his help. So the Wolf made a good meal off the boy's flock, and when the boy complained, the wise man of the village said:

"A liar will not be believed, even when he speaks the truth."

Edited by xoindotnler

tl;dr Separate IC and OOC better, Please?

Agreed.

Now don't get me wrong, but separating IC and OOC should include not getting upset IRL because your nation is raided, especially if it's a 5k NS nation that will basically be instant-rebuilt with almost nihil RL time and effort, once you manage to get out of your wars.

Furthermore, supercheese's logs don't seem to involve much OOC stuff, and definitely nothing of what has been mentioned in the OP. Are those logs authentic and complete, Beauty?

There was once a young Shepherd Boy who tended his sheep at the foot of a mountain near a dark forest. It was rather lonely for him all day, so he thought upon a plan by which he could get a little company and some excitement. He rushed down towards the village calling out "Wolf, Wolf," and the villagers came out to meet him, and some of them stopped with him for a considerable time. This pleased the boy so much that a few days afterwards he tried the same trick, and again the villagers came to his help. But shortly after this a Wolf actually did come out from the forest, and began to worry the sheep, and the boy of course cried out "Wolf, Wolf," still louder than before. But this time the villagers, who had been fooled twice before, thought the boy was again deceiving them, and nobody stirred to come to his help. So the Wolf made a good meal off the boy's flock, and when the boy complained, the wise man of the village said:

"A liar will not be believed, even when he speaks the truth."

Indeed,

However this is the point of this thread. This isn't Rotavele or beauty. This is OOC.

Agreed.

Now don't get me wrong, but separating IC and OOC should include not getting upset IRL because your nation is raided, especially if it's a 5k NS nation that will basically be instant-rebuilt with almost nihil RL time and effort, once you manage to get out of your wars.

Furthermore, supercheese's logs don't seem to involve much OOC stuff, and definitely nothing of what has been mentioned in the OP. Are those logs authentic and complete, Beauty?

They are correct. However I was trying to play that in the eyes of a nation ruler. As I said I keep character in OOC many of times as well. That is why one minute I act as if a completely different person.

However it should be noted those logs are not the only logs and selectively cut. At that point I was already told it was due to me being openly flamboyant about my sexuality, and I knew talking about the issue further would only make me feel passionate about the subject it in the real world, as it was a real world attack. I try not to play my characters if my real world mood is altered in a negative sense.

That is why I'd prefer not talking about it anymore here or at all. I don't like to interact when I passionately feel about a subject. My real world sexuality should have no place in this game or this forum. I have said I forgive them for the personal attack and would rather not speak anymore about it as for some reason it does have effect on me in the real world. I prefer to do my best to separated real world emotions from the game. All my responses are usually planned out from my characters perspective as her mood and personality would see it.

As I've said I forgive them and hope those two have the best in the future. There's no reason to discuss my sexuality any further or that incident. The point here is to move forward and fix these gross breaching of the barrier. As Auctor said i too am guilty of this, however I'd rather fix it for everyone rather then shrug it off because this is coming too common.

I guess sometimes when you spend hours annoying the $%&@ out of everybody, it doesn't go well

Hakai, This is OOC. Your past grudges and feelings have no place here. We're not characters in these parts. That is why I'm making this thread. Edited by Beauty

Rotavele is gone, stop bringing her up, also welcome to Bob, Beauty.

Sadly only the third time I've heard this so far except from Hal and Hime. 

Thank you Pansy.

Edited by Beauty

If you continue to RP the same character under a new name, you will not lose the stigma attached to you, if you came back as a genuinely new character then you would find more success.

I haven't played the same character yet. I was attacked and such because I wanted to tell alliances who I was before I was accepted out of courtesy for them. Then it got leaked out. I have enough respect when joining alliances to let them know who they're accepting but ask them to keep it hush. I'd hope it's good Karma.

After getting nuked I went ahead and posted as per normal due to i am being attacked anyway so why not?

I don't think you will have much success asking CN forum-goers to get a lobotomy.

Regardless, best of luck on your re-branding.

Thank you Hapapants. You and Pansy really give me hope that some people can keep IC and OOC separate. I really hope to see a day when all of our characters can feud, yet keep our personal lives completely separate. I think it will take some work, but it's plausible.

Maybe people just don't realize what IC or OOC is? If so I'd be glad to help those people understand. I just think they'd take it as an insult if I just start telling them. If you have any advice on how I could do that and not risk insulting the person, I'd like to hear it :P
Edited by Beauty

21:20 Beauty Stop blowing up my message with your 17 year old retardism

What was all that you were saying about how supercheese doesn't know what it's like to be in a group of people who are discriminated against? That's not the first time you've used autism or other unfortunate maladies as weapons against people, either. You're just a troll who keeps pushing the envelope closer and closer to the OOC line. If anybody actually tried to track you down or something, that's ridiculous and awful, but you're just as much a blight on this community given your antics in the last couple months. You make fun of people's dead friends, you misuse people's OOC sympathy to troll, and you make a mockery of decency and civility by constantly crying wolf when you're the one in sheep's clothing. I don't hate you, but your behavior is disgusting and we'd all be better off if your characters were flushed directly down the toilet. Because I don't think you know how to play as any that aren't intolerable.

21:20 Beauty Stop blowing up my message with your 17 year old retardismWhat was all that you were saying about how supercheese doesn't know what it's like to be in a group of people who are discriminated against? That's not the first time you've used autism or other unfortunate maladies as weapons against people, either. You're just a troll who keeps pushing the envelope closer and closer to the OOC line. If anybody actually tried to track you down or something, that's ridiculous and awful, but you're just as much a blight on this community given your antics in the last couple months. You make fun of people's dead friends, you misuse people's OOC sympathy to troll, and you make a mockery of decency and civility by constantly crying wolf when you're the one in sheep's clothing. I don't hate you, but your behavior is disgusting and we'd all be better off if your characters were flushed directly down the toilet. Because I don't think you know how to play as any that aren't intolerable.

I don't mean this offensively, but I really don't know what you're talking about. The only time I've done anything with Autism is when another player (Not naming names) was mocked for having Aspergers. He could not tell when people were being sarcastic and players on here kept mocking him for it and convincing him they were joining his alliances he kept making. It was disgusting and I stood up to a whole alliance and lost years of my work doing it. That's what got me into this mess with NG. When I attacked a player taking advantage of his disorder, they decided to ZI me.

I appreciate your concern, but I don't think you heard both sides of that story. I have several other friends on here with the same disorder and they all supported my efforts.

For the "retardism" comment, I don't remember making that. However none of the logs look faked so I must have. It wasn't meant in the context you believe if is.

I appreciate you sticking up for a member whom you believed has a disorder though. People like you make me have faith in humanity. (Also, please remember this thread is completely OOC, the IC Rotavele is dead.) Edited by Beauty

Everyone deserves a second chance, after deleting and coming back under the same name, especially under a new name. Yet if you act the same, with a new name, as you did before as the old persona, and the only thing that changed about you is a name; Then it doesn't matter if it's OOC, and IC anymore, because you are still in character, with just a new name. The adage of "what's in a name" applies here. You are still acting like Rota, why should you be treated differently if you continue to act like Rota. 

Especially now when you can pay to change your name in-game. If I change my name from BringMeTheHorizon to Benaya, and I act like BringMeTheHorizon still, is it really a new persona, or new character? 

"Finally, targeting people in real life, and attempting to locate me for violent acts."

Who did this?

[21:43] <01Petro> did you guys boot rota already?
[21:44] <01Blazer> YEA
[21:44] <01Blazer> We did get rid of that prick
[21:44] <01L_H> Blazer has always blown with the wind
[21:45] <01Petro> well there goes the raiding plans for update
[21:45] <01Petro> tongue.png
[21:45] <01Blazer> for rota right
[21:45] <01Blazer> I'll kill him with my bare hands if I see him in real life
[21:45] <01Kenfolk> do it
[21:46] <01Blazer> I need very personal info if you guys have that then sure
[21:46] <01dane0[NG|TLG]> Alabama
[21:46] <01Kenfolk> what gives you that impression dane?
03[21:47] * ChanServ sets mode: +oq Blackeyebilly[SAS] Blackeyebilly[SAS]
[21:47] <01Kenfolk> he uses vpns to hide behind so we can't find him irl
[21:47] <06~Blackeyebilly[SAS]> Hey
[21:47] <01Greywall> he's from alabama
[21:47] <01Blazer> BILLY YOUR SOOO DIED
[21:47] <01dane0[NG|TLG]> Kenfolk: he used to be not so smart
01[21:47] <01Red> he means it too
[21:47] <06~Blackeyebilly[SAS]> 'Died?
[21:47] <01Kenfolk> can we narrow it down beyond a state?

That's from a post in Mogar's thread.

Now my cities been found though. Unfortunately since it's Rotavele (Well now beauty, but no one seems to really care anyway) nothing was done about it.

I'm not expecting anything to be done about the homophobic acts either really. If it were another player maybe, but that is the point of this thread. OOC and IC need to be separated badly. 

Everyone deserves a second chance, after deleting and coming back under the same name, especially under a new name. Yet if you act the same, with a new name, as you did before as the old persona, and the only thing that changed about you is a name; Then it doesn't matter if it's OOC, and IC anymore, because you are still in character, with just a new name. The adage of "what's in a name" applies here. You are still acting like Rota, why should you be treated differently if you continue to act like Rota. 

Especially now when you can pay to change your name in-game. If I change my name from BringMeTheHorizon to Benaya, and I act like BringMeTheHorizon still, is it really a new persona, or new character? 

I wasn't given a chance to act in any such way, sadly. I was attacked and nuked before I even got back on the OWF. Nor had I any disputes on IRC before I was attacked. (This all came afterwards. I got on and was attacked right after getting booted.) I took a hiatus from the OWF then was delayed a few days as Beauty due to the name change period. That is one of the reasons for this thread. OOC and IC have to be separated

Edited by Beauty

Rotavele, no offense, but you suck at IC/OOC separation yourself. If you really want to bury your past, you would go deep undercover and work your way into an alliance somewhere under radio silence. But you basically continued over all your same mannerisms and identity on here and on IRC immediately after rerolling. Why should SNX or anyone else risk the political capital when you have proven yourself volatile and lacking patience?

It has taken me six months to work my way back into high government after I was deposed in the last war, why do you think it would take you any less to recover from your mistakes?

Rotavele, no offense, but you suck at IC/OOC separation yourself. If you really want to bury your past, you would go deep undercover and work your way into an alliance somewhere under radio silence. But you basically continued over all your same mannerisms and identity on here and on IRC immediately after rerolling. Why should SNX or anyone else risk the political capital when you have proven yourself volatile and lacking patience?

It has taken me six months to work my way back into high government after I was deposed in the last war, why do you think it would take you any less to recover from your mistakes?

Because even in Rotavele's scheming ways, and Beauty's courteous ways, I don't think it's appropriate to "sneak" into an alliance. That's why I relayed to Val and Invicta who I was in private and asked for it to be kept quiet even if rejected. No idea who released it originally, nor do I hold it against them because it was bound to happen anyway. 

After the CSN Spying, I don't want to do that anymore. I still feel bad because I liked Liz a lot and she trusted me. I don't want to betray or hurt any of my other leaders. Nor do I really seek power. I enjoy working in alliance sectors, I get very competitive in them. That's mainly what I want in an alliance, not really a government position. 

Also because I was never given a chance to be beauty, so no one got to meet her. You even still address me as Rotavele. -_-

Edited by Beauty