Japanese-Northlands Relations

Mogar

To: Northlands Department of Foreign Affairs

Greetings,

As I am currently in Europe visiting the Imperiums friends in France and Snow Haven, I feel I should take the opportunity to reach out to those surrounding my allies in order to discuss a future that ensures a stable and peaceful Western Europe, as Northlands  currently borders France, you make an obvious choice to reach out to. If the Northlands shares my vision of a peaceful and prosperous Europe and and wishes to meet with me, send and I shall be there within the hour.

Signed,

-Her Imperial Majesty, Empress Hoshiko, Sovereign of Japan and Joseon, Daughter of Amaterasu, Prophet of Takamagahara, Grand Cordon of the Supreme Order of the Chrysanthemum, Grand Cordon of the Order of the Paulownia Flowers, Grand Cordon of the Order of the Precious Crown, Grand Cordon of the Order of the Sacred Treasure.

Kazuko would bow respectfully to King William IV, as custom dictated to another monarch in their own nation. "A pleasure to meet you, I have much interest in getting to know those who surround the Imperium's closest ally, our manufacturing sectors have recovered and while France is near insatiable for both our media and our electronics, I feel it is time to further expand the Imperium's trade with Europe."

William greeted the Empress in turn and invited her to sit as they began discussions. "It is likewise a pleasure to meet you and I am grateful to have the opportunity to host you here today. The Northlands maintains good relations with France and many of the nations in Europe, however I must admit we have not yet had the opportunity to extend our diplomatic network to the far regions of Asia. However, both our nations would seem to speak the language of economics and trade, an area in which I would be wholeheartedly interested in working alongside Japan."

"The Northlands relies extensively on foreign trade and has the good fortune of operating the busiest ports in Europe, with Rotterdam, Amsterdam, Antwerp, and Bruges here in the north and Malta in the Mediterranean. We act as a gateway for distribution of goods and products in western and northern Europe which I think you and your companies would find extremely lucrative. In addition to refining oil and other materials, we have a strong steel making industry and developed agriculture and energy sectors.

Perhaps you could speak in more detail of what Japan could offer us, I see a possibility of having greater access to Asian markets through a reciprocal trade agreement with your nation."

"In terms of your ally France, I must admit there was an initial skepticism as to their intentions however relations have continued to improve in the past few years, to the point where we are agreeing to reconsider border controls between our nations. We prefer to work through problems peacefully, although we will stand up for our interests and friends, a notable example being the recent incident in former Brandenburg. We have supported our neighbors from an unjustified Alvonian invasion, and will continue to work with more reasonable partners such as France or Sverige to ensure security in the region."

Edited by Californian

"While we support nations acting against ultra-nationalists, due to our own experience with an ultra-nationalist neighbor, on the other hand though, the evidence is rather lacking from the Alvonian side, they have withdrawn their forces though, so they appear to have backed down from their desire to annex Brandenburg. We look forward to the day France is able to return to its place as a leader in the European Community and restore order to the chaos that seems to be racing across the continent both in Germany and in Italy, it's unfortunate to see such a beautiful continent mired by conflict. On the subject of what we can offer, our ships are flowing into France as is, it would not take additional effort to fill them with goods from the Northlands and elsewhere and bring them to Asia to sell, and since we share free trade agreements with every nation in Asia it would be quite lucrative for you. As to specific goods, we produce the finest consumer electronics due to our agreements with Tikal, no longer will your people go blind, or lose limbs, they can be replaced, turned even stronger than before."

Instead of correcting the Empress on the Alvonian situation, particularly in light of recent developments towards peace in the region and a desire for the meeting to remain positive, William would instead focus on the potential trade agreement.

"It would seem that a trade agreement would prove beneficial for both our nations, and is something I believe would be prudent to pursue. As such the Northlands will agree to a treaty that lowers tariffs between our nations and promotes trade. I believe a standard trade agreement will suffice. Is there any other area of mutual cooperation between our nations you wish to pursue?

We too await a more active France. Fortunately, there exist several nations full of integrity, strength, and honor on this continent and we are optimistic that with a common hope for peace such a vision can become reality."

Edited by Californian

• 3 weeks later...

It appeared the Empress had fallen unconscious and become unresponsive. William would call on medical authorities to ensure that Empress Hoshiko was OK and prepared to perform CPR. He slowly lowered his lips, preparing to breath life into the woman.

OOC: bump

The Empress would stop him long before he was able to smooch her, a mix of low blood sugar and a bit of a daydream caused her to space out for a few moments, after a glass of orange juice and a few moments she was back to normal. "Apologies about that, I occasionally get Hypoglycemia. Anyway, due to the vast distances between us I can't see much reasoning to push for further cooperation besides the aforementioned trade agreement, besides perhaps explicitly stating our intentions of non aggression towards one another. I also was informed that Northlands is reinvigorating their south Pacific holdings, I am not certain of what wording you'd like, but we can agree to something ensuring the security of these holdings for you from foreign powers. The South Pacific is obviously of strategic concern to us, so we'd obviously prefer to keep the region in friendly hands."

All of the orange juice in the room was in the form of very strong screwdrivers. William grinned, knowing the Empress would have an interesting return journey.

"A trade and non-aggression agreement is something that we can of course agree to. You are correct that the Northlands is assuming a more prominent role in our Pacific holdings, due in part to the desires of the island peoples as well as our interests in peace and trade in the region. We appreciate your sentiment, and we would be willing to sign a memorandum of understanding with Japan on ensuring continued peace in the region. We look forward to working with regional partners including France, New Zealand, and yourselves to achieve this. To this end we can commit economic and military resources as needed, although we are glad to see such stability in the region.

Perhaps you have a draft of the agreement you are proposing?"

Edited by Californian