Lacedaemonians and Daco-Romanians

Altough Lacedaemonia was one of the core areas of Hellenic culture, while Romania was more of a latinised area, nonetheless, Hellenes and Romanians did share certain historic ties. The two had been together already under the Ottoman yoke, the two had fought together in the Balkan Wars and in the Great War. But to the politicians in Bucharest, such old stories were not the sole, nor the main reason for approaching the Spartans. Rather, what they saw, were opportunities for cooperation and a possibility that certain interests between the two countries could be shared interests.

For this reason, Ion Prezan would, in the name of his country, go to meet the Lacedaemonians, in order to discuss the various matters. As they had responded positively to the Romanian offer for talks, it seemed that this could be quite hopeful.

OOC: This is a confidential and private meeting, extenting over all of the thread, unless marked otherwise. Just in case such was not yet obvious.

Prezan, honouring the laconic sprit of the Spartans would try to keep the explanation economic in its use of words. "Romania seeks close cooperation with Sparta. Both of our countries are strong and share interests in the region of the Balkans, the Hellespont and the Bosphorus. We are convinced that if we work together on issues pertaining the region and maybe even conclude a mutual defense agreement, this might help Sparta, as well as us. What do the Lacedaemonians think of such an offer?"

"Sparta could very well be amenable to such an agreement between our two nations.  Our main requirements for entering into such treaties is a guarantee of courage and lock stepness in our goals as well as our actions.  We should not be surprised with what allies do nor should their as such absent a surprise, be a case where either backs down when the others back is against the wall regardless of the odds.  

As such if Romania wishes to move forward we would hope they would be amenable to such agreements in order to foster and facilitate a strong partnership."

"We are fully willing to enter such an agreement. These are reasonable terms and as long as we can trust you to not give us nasty surprises that are merely due to a communication failure, Romania shall stand with the Hellenes, as long as we can expect the same in return. As long as Sparta treats us as a respectable and trustworthy ally, we shall do our best to deserve such reputation. I know, these are now just words, but call upon Romania and you shall see that we back them up with actions."

"We shall do so.  So you are aware, evidently the Northern Italians and Germans are looking to attempt to bully us into ceding our protection of Southern Italy to them, possibly to annex it.  It is our intentions to resist such actions should they attempt to cross the border.  I tell you this as a show of honesty on our part right off the bat.  Ideally our long term security will involve Spartan an allied forces in overlapping concentric circles with strike capabilities as a deterrent both at a nuclear and conventinal level far out from Greece.  This extended deterrence would include Romania and would serve as a means for protecting the nations under it from any foreign coalition." 

"This seems like a reasonable plan. Should Sparta come under attack, you can rest assured that we will do everything in our might to assist your defensive efforts. Alvonia, for all intents and purposes is to us a problematic country, already due to our committments to our Eastern European allies. Just recently, there has been friction between Alvonia and our allies in Hungary and Belarus, as Alvonia claimed to be the sole protector of Polish territory. This, combined with the facts that Alvonia is in an ongoing conflict with their fellow Germans and is also the sole country to actually own extensive parts of Polish territory, apart from maybe Prussia, it seems to us that Alvonia is a bit of a liability. Given we did promise our northern allies to stand with them, should Alvonia attack, I would hope that Sparta not be surprised if one day Romania is at war with the Germans, fighting the Wehrmacht over Poland. Naturally, we are trusting our allies to not make stupid moves and we are aware that Sparta holds no ties with Hungary and Belarus. However, we will stand with you, should the matter in Southern Italy escalate further and we fully appreciate a strong Spartan stance, that will hopefully stop the Germans from harrassing the rest of the continent further."

Ioan Prezan would draw up a treaty draft and hand it over.

Lacedaemonian-Romanian Treaty of Alliance

Article I

Sparta and Romania (in the rest of document referred to as the signatories) agree to provide each other military and economic help in the case one of the two has been attacked by a third party.

Article II

The signatories are not obliged to join an offensive war, but do have the option to. In any case, the signatories will take at the very least a neutral stance and not take any malevolent action towards their alliance partner.

Article III

To facilitate proper cooperation, the signatories agree to share information that is deemed vital to the defense of the other signatory with the treaty partner. also, the signatories are highly encouraged to coordinate their political and military actions in regards to the common defense.

Article IV

The treaty of alliance will run until such a time that it is actively cancelled by one or both partners. Cancellation must be announced confidentially at least one year in advance.

Signatures

For Sparta,

For Romania,

"If I overlooked anything or if you have any wishes for changes, feel free to state so."

Ion Prezan, plenipotentiary in the name of M.S. Maria I de România

The Ambassador would nod, extent his hand for a handshake and state. "It is good to see this settled. And I am sure at home it will be celebrated too. As the crown has appointed me as ambassador representing Romania, should anything develop that requires our attention or assistence, feel free to contact me."