The Highest of Mountains

Lynneth

King Wangchuck would write a classified letter to the Director of Diplomacy of Tikal,

"Our people have taken note of the rise of your culture and technological expertise. We would like to start a cultural exchange program to better understand you in the belief that better mutual understanding is beneficial to the growth and maturity of all societies. That said we welcome Tikal to be the second nation with an embassy on our soil.. near hallowed ground at the base of Everest close to the seat. We'd also request that you not only appoint an ambassador of a diplomatic nature, but a second ambassador to represent your culture and society to work as an adjunct and consultant to our parliament to give it input and guidance on internal development of our great state.

Also, the Dreamer would like to hold audience with the Sun and Moon, if they would feel his presence worthy. The Dreamer is a being of great religious significance among our people, he has taken the role of the Dali Lama in our culture, but is very respectful of your gods."

A private reply would be sent to the King.

"Your Majesty,

though somewhat unexpected, your request for a cultural exchange program certainly is something that can be arranged. An embassy too could be established. Like we would with you, your nation would be the second to establish an embassy in Tikal after the United States. Similarly, a secondary ambassador can be appointed, though we'll have to find the right person for the job first.

Concerning an audience, does the Dreamer wish to meet both of our rulers, or just one of them? In the latter case, which?

I'm looking forward to your reply."

By the authority vested in me by Their Sublime Highnesses

Director of Diplomacy,

Clemente Marroquín Rojas

Principality of Tikal

Wangchuck replied, "Director Rojas, thank you for your prompt reply. The Dreamer has indicated that ' to separate the Sun and the Moon would almost be a sin, for what is glory without its reflection but a light shining in the void with no shape to give light?'. I personally I don't wax that philosophical very often, but he is our religious leader. I think it means he would like to meet both. Their preference as to where. He has offered to extend to them a courtesy of a stay with him and the monks at the 'roof of the world' on Everest."

Edited by Maelstrom Vortex

The next would likely be Rojas' final reply for the time being, unless something important changed.

"Very well. I have informed Their Highnesses of the Dreamer's request, and they have expressed their interest in meeting him. I [i]have[/i] been told that they would arrange everything for the journey by themselves, so for now I shall only inform you of the ambassadors to your nation. The official ambassador will be Rolando Zapata Ponce. The cultural ambassador will be Armando Abreu Fajardo. They and their families are ready to travel to your nation whenever the embassy is complete.

With regards,"

By the authority vested in me by Their Sublime Highnesses

Director of Diplomacy,

Clemente Marroquín Rojas

Principality of Tikal

The rulers of Tikal were in a side-room in the building their offices were located in. The room itself had only a few thick pillars inside, all the same white marble. Each stepped behind a pillar.

Moments later, they walked out from behind a particularly large boulder near the gate of a monastery, located on Mount Everest itself. Unaffected by the low temperatures, they slowly strode towards the gates of the monastery, looking for a gatekeeper or someone of the sort to let them in.

The monks welcomed and bowed.. all having the same glowing serpentine eyes like their master. They silently opened the gates. "Welcome Prince Chak Tok Ich'aak. Welcome Princess Shana'Kin Yaxchel Ik'nal. We are honored by your presence." They kept their faces low until beckoned to rise. "The Dreamer takes green tea in the temple's main shrine straight ahead and up the stairs. Please, let us know in any way we may be of service."

The Royals may see a rather interesting creature up among the higher peaks.. leaping between the rocks.. seemingly at random.. hopping, gliding.. hopping gliding, as if working on some unidentified task. The air, though chill, seemed charged.. enough it may make one's skin stand on end. The Monestary was laid out in the traditional way as most Bhuddist shrines. Elegantly sloped roofs.. monuments to the elements.. Buddha and dragon statues everywhere. Some that seemed to be stretched out on rocks basking in the sun.. occasionally seemed to blink.

There were green houses and hot springs made for weary visitors to ease their aching muscles or to take in fresh air and the view to the slopes below was breath-taking to those not accustomed to such heights and views.

The royals walked simply through the temple to where this Dreamer was taking their tea. Though they looked around a little, there was not much that kept their attention for long. Any unusual occurrences they disregarded, having seen many strange things in their time.

They simply proceeded past the greenhouses, the hot springs and so on into the main shrine, walking besides each other.

And there sat Maelstrom among his followers.. sipping his green tea. He rose from his belly onto four claws, then stood upright and nodded in greeting. "Prince, Princess. Welcome to Everest. Please, come, sit and make yourself comfortable. I am honored you have graced me with your presence. I sensed you had arrived." He gestured to some comfortable cushions at the table across from him with his grey, scaled claws. "Is there anything we can get you?"  He raised an eye ridge. His beloved mate, Koudoawaia Vortex, rested nearby on a pile of cushions, watching the events quietly as was her nature.

Maelstrom's eyes glowed a somewhat unnatural jade green as did the monks around him and those of his mates. The energy in the air was palpable.. and grew stronger with proximity to him. The monks, others around him.. they could not sense it.. but the Prince and Princess would given their nature. It wouldn't take long for them to deduce that in some fashion this creature was woven into the very fabric of this place as if giving it life. Three amulets hung about his neck, the diagrams upon them writhed like the amulets were alive themselves.

A dragon. Well, that could've been stranger, and there were far stranger things in the universe. Such as a cloud of alcohol tasting like raspberry. Dragons were one of the oldest hats and so the Dreamer's appearance didn't phase the two royals too much.

The two sat, each on their own pillow. "Thank you very much for the offer, but we have something already," answered the Prince. Between blinks, he had somehow come into possession of a glass of hot chocolate. The Princess had a cup of tea in her hands, the distinct smell of Darjeeling wafting from the liquid. If they were in any way uneasy about the dragon's presence or energy, they didn't show it at all, indeed appearing as if they took tea with a dragon every second Sunday or something of the sort.

Maelstrom smiled warmly to them and briefly introduced himself. "You may already know this.. don't know how far your deity goes and probably isn't for me to know.. but I am Maelstrom Vortex, the Dreamer of Druk Yul." He began to settle back to his cushions as they took respite with him. "So, what do you think of the state of the modern world? I was wondering if your people still sacrificed themselves to you to help you with various goals. I was also wondering if you considered lunar soil holy ground given its relationship to the Princess and her deus celeritatem." He took a sip of his tea as he rested with them and stretched out languidly on his red with gold trim cushions.

Maelstrom smiled warmly to them and briefly introduced himself. "You may already know this.. don't know how far your deity goes and probably isn't for me to know.. but I am Maelstrom Vortex, the Dreamer of Druk Yul."

The Princess smiled as she responded, "We are neither omniscient, nor omnipotent, that much I can say. We obey rules, much like the universe itself does."

He began to settle back to his cushions as they took respite with him. "So, what do you think of the state of the modern world? I was wondering if your people still sacrificed themselves to you to help you with various goals. I was also wondering if you considered lunar soil holy ground given its relationship to the Princess and her deus celeritatem." He took a sip of his tea as he rested with them and stretched out languidly on his red with gold trim cushions.

The next question, the Prince answered. "The world is still in a state of flux, thuogh the changes are becoming less and less pronounced. I believe that it will continue to be in this form for some time before further change occurs." He finished his hot chocolate, afterwards throwing the glass behind himself without looking. On one of the steps, it shattered into ice, quickly melting into a small puddle.

The question about Luna, however, he did not speak on. It was not his domain, after all. She spoke, "The surface of the Moon is not much different from that of Earth. A bit dustier perhaps, with less life, but travelling there is no sacrilege. Neither would mining it be. The Popol Vuh places my Essence into the deepest depths of the satellite, where humanity will not reach in many lifetimes, if ever at all." She took another sip of her tea.

He nodded, "I figured it would only be appropriate to inquire before I began my activities there given your natures. Your people are a very advanced society that my people have begun to look towards in admiration. Of course, they're an extension of me, so that means I really appreciate how you've developed your society. We'd like to model ours after your own and the King and the legislature are in agreement with me on this matter.... it's always nice when you agree with yourself, internal divisions are never pleasant. But as is the way this world that which is unseen must remain such, and things must be as they are.. the rules bind us all. That is why the King has asked your government for representation in their halls. In due time maybe we can find the same specialization and meritocracy as has blessed your own land with such progress." Maelstrom's tea was only slowly going away. He enjoyed its taste and so was slow in its consumption.

"Those were some of the primary reasons I had called you here. I really did not want to mistakenly offend you by landing on holy soil unannounced. It is good to know you are well protected from anything we may do on the moon." He nodded to the Princess. "I would like for Tikal to be close as friends. Maybe not on paper as our spheres are so far apart, but we should watch out for each other and help each other. I hope you have noticed my benevolence in redirecting more productively the actions of a certain.. far.. northern neighbor trying to operate in your domain. I would like to continue such co-operation with you going forward. Do you have any requests of me.. anything I can do for Tikal though my resources by comparison are more limited? Do you have any interest in us that we might be of help to you?"

He nodded, "I figured it would only be appropriate to inquire before I began my activities there given your natures. Your people are a very advanced society that my people have begun to look towards in admiration. Of course, they're an extension of me, so that means I really appreciate how you've developed your society. We'd like to model ours after your own and the King and the legislature are in agreement with me on this matter.... it's always nice when you agree with yourself, internal divisions are never pleasant. But as is the way this world that which is unseen must remain such, and things must be as they are.. the rules bind us all. That is why the King has asked your government for representation in their halls. In due time maybe we can find the same specialization and meritocracy as has blessed your own land with such progress." Maelstrom's tea was only slowly going away. He enjoyed its taste and so was slow in its consumption.

"If you wish to model your society after ours," the Prince commented, now having procured a glass of milk chocolate for himself, "then that is not something we can stop. It is your own decision, after all. Do keep in mind, however, that Tikal's societal and political structure is moulded around the dual crowns of the Prince and the Princess. Without the diarchy, things would not work as they do. There would be no more legislative, representation or any of these democratic institutions. Tikal is, in the end, a theocratic, authoritarian state."

"Those were some of the primary reasons I had called you here. I really did not want to mistakenly offend you by landing on holy soil unannounced. It is good to know you are well protected from anything we may do on the moon." He nodded to the Princess. "I would like for Tikal to be close as friends. Maybe not on paper as our spheres are so far apart, but we should watch out for each other and help each other. I hope you have noticed my benevolence in redirecting more productively the actions of a certain.. far.. northern neighbor trying to operate in your domain. I would like to continue such co-operation with you going forward. Do you have any requests of me.. anything I can do for Tikal though my resources by comparison are more limited? Do you have any interest in us that we might be of help to you?"

When Maelstrom mentioned Baffin in passing, both diarchs merely rolled their eyes. They'd had their fill of dealing with that nation, and it didn't feel good.
"Whether such cooperation can continue, I cannot say. We will certainly strive towards it, but sometimes reality ruins all those pretty plans one had." The Princess shrugged. "In regards to your last question, we have nothing to ask of you, no. Nothing that either of us could think of, I believe."

"The democracy here is somewhat an illusion. They're all me, to a degree. But I'll begin to shuffle things around.. appear more authoritarian. I did want to ask though,what is life like for you in your realm then? I keep to myself.. I've made myself manifest in this world a few times, but being so different it didn't go so well That said, I'm mostly keeping to myself this time.. letting my representatives do their work. What do you do for fun when you have the time to do so? The world doesn't know it, but I've actually been helping the space program and its engineers with their designs, it preoccupies a great deal of my time actually."

Both diarchs thought for a few moments before the Prince began, "Life in Tikal is rather unique compared to most anywhere else, both for our citizens as well as us two. We interact often with the people, whenever we're not too busy with governmental duties. It helps keeping one grounded."

"We also read a lot," the Princess added with a smile.

Maelstrom nodded to the Prince, "It's good you're able to get out.  My mate and I only keep company with select audiences from outside of Druk Yul.. yourself being so far only our second set of visitors." Koudoa was still at her resting spot, but the monk had bought her some paints and a canvass and she was quietly drawing the scene of the visitors and her beloved sharing the small tea table.

Maelstrom smiled at the Princess, "What's your favorite genre? Maybe we can make a book club for rulers or some such." He grinned, a few of his pointier teeth showing beneath stretched reptilian lips and overhanging his lower jaw.

The Princess raised an eyebrow. "So little company? I'd go mad from the lack of social interaction. Speaking of that, our system relies on the diarchy being visible to the people. An invisible monarch inspires nothing. A visible ruler can inspire so many things with just a few smiles and the occasional speech."

The Prince nodded in agreement. "Back to the topic of books though, I prefer the fantasy genre, both high and low magic settings. My dearest over there is more into science fiction, especially the stuff with giant robots or aether battles."

"You have a good point, your Highness." He nods to the Princess. "A visible monarchy makes for good leadership. I am stronger than I have been before, but I worry how the waking world will react to a nation ruled by dragons of unknown origins. My own people know I am here. King Wangchuck knows what I am.. but.. the last time I manifest in this manner in the open on the world stage, I was hunted. I have lived before.. one of this universe's cycles that holds on to its existence. The actors have only ever so slightly changed and I detest the prospects of changing my appearances."

He smiled to the Prince. "Much the same. I love the Brit's 'Doctor Who'. She likes mechs does she? Hrmm.. maybe I'll ask the space agency to build one in her honor. They do love to be asked to think out of the box and try new things."

"If you do not wish to shapeshift, perhaps you could appoint or create an avatar, acting in your stead. Though this would require regular and unimpeded communication with you at most times," mused the Princess, finishing her tea before refilling the cup by simply tapping the side. "As for mecha, we already constructed some, inspired by a japanese show." She turned to the Prince with a smile, "If you would, dear?"

He nodded, bringing up the computer on his wrist. Moments later, the hologram of a Zaku sprung up, hovering gently in the air.

Maelstrom chortled, "You should totally bring one of these to the air show if it can fly. I'm thinking about visiting. I have.. sort of appointed a point person or avatar. That'd be Wangchuck, the one who wrote you. A mirror of another reality, he has proven quite useful. I will build one from Druk Yul.. for the sheer entertainment of it.. and have it ready for you at the next air show we have. I'll get you reserve boxes too." He smiled. "Speaking of which.. maybe we should continue this meeting there? I do love aircraft."

The Prince shook his head. "Neither of us is a big fan of aircraft, I'm afraid to say. Thank you for the offer, however."

There wasn't much else to say for the moment, so the diarchs simply continued to drink their respective drinks, in a way enjoying the momentary silence.

Maelstrom would meditate with them a bit to the sound of the monk's chants.. then offer them a tour of the temple if they liked or to go to the hot springs. He tried to be a genuinely accommodating and affable host and other than their brief conversations about the moon, being friendly, and their mutual interests he seemed to have no other sincere motivation behind their trip other than wanting to meet them. He would offer them to stay at the temple a few days to enjoy the hospitality of his family, his people, and the monks if they wished and would offer to participate in most of any activities in which they expressed an interest. But he had done all he had planned, so the rest was now up to his visitors and their desires. if they wanted to be left to simply meditate at the top of the world.. he'd give them their peace. He understood and also appreciated its serenity.

The Prince unfortunately had to leave rather swiftly, as ruling a nation often kept one busy. The Princess however managed to stay for a time, just a day or two to enjoy the hot springs, and later get to know some of the people living within the temple. In time she too had to leave, stepping back into Tikal after giving everyone a friendly goodbye.

Edited by Lynneth