From the Black Sea to the Baltic

After having been informed by Bucharest of the developments in Poland, Corneliu Poescu would be tasked with contacting the Prussian government. With a peaceful settlement of the crisis, it seemed best now to approach the Kingdom at the Baltic Sea diplomatically. The two countries sharing historic ties, not too great, but at least not negative, and maybe having some interests that could align, could maybe find grounds for cooperation. Or at least, that was what Popescu brought up to the Prussian Ministry of Foreign affairs, when asking for a meeting to be set up to discuss matters.

Corneliu Popescu would greet the royal Princess respectfully, offering her a coup of tea and biscuits, so as to ease the tension. "Let us have tea and biscuits. A comfortable meeting for comfortable relations, I would say." Similarly, he would rather wait for the Princess to settle down, starting the talks simply with. "I am honoured to have you, your Highness. One would hope you had a good day today?"

"Indeed, your Highness...", Popescu would state, sighing, as he saw his friendly gesture so resolutely rejected. "As you will have without doubt have noticed, there are quite high tensions in Central Europe. The recent crisis has been averted, for now... It would be really worrying if a crisis in Poland or elsewhere in this region, trigger a broader war. As you seem like a person to not beat around the bush much, I would like to state that it is our wish to cooperate with Prussia, as a partner in the Polish region. Maybe, not necessarily a greater level of military comittment, given your nation is right vis-a-vis the Alvonians, however, at least a friendly partnership."

Popescu would return to a more gentle smile, as it seemed that not all of his efforts were in vain. "Well, Romania would most of all think that an agreement would include a pact of non-aggression and the establishment of intelligence ties. Maybe with an added memorandum on cooperation and mutual consultation to bring order into this chaotic region, which quickly devolves into a powder keg. It would be our opinion that Prussia has a natural interest into its neighbourhood and Romania is no less interested in settling matters in Central and Eastern Europe, due to our allies being residents. Our country has no desire to see a war over Poland, or a hegemonial fight over it, which includes Prussia, and I doubt Prussia would want to become the battlefield of a hegemonial conflict in which it has nothing to gain. This last point, in our opinion, we better put down as a memorandum of understanding, underlining the formal ties of non-aggression."

Popescu would think for a short moment, sipping from his tea, to avoid a completely unwarranted pause. "Romania has no direct interest in this region for its own gains. We do not border it, Her Majesty needs no Polish exclave. However, Romania absolutely wants the Polish matter settled in a matter that is both stabilising, and, favourable to our allies. I think, Prussia would be of quite some importance to achieving a permanent and favourable solution, even more so given Prussia too is a stakeholder in regional stabiity. Naturally, should Prussia decline, Romania would still continue to seek such a solution, altough in that case, we would be hoping for Prussia to at least not openly oppose us or our allies, in a manner as the Alvonians did. I would dare say, Alvonia is quite a troublesome and worrying nation to us, claiming to be protector with their right, while invading others with their left, protecting the "integrity" of Poland with words, yet owning the biggest chunk of what once was Poland. Romania is not a nation interested in defending the Polish people now, but we see a certain hypocrisy in Alvonia that has us worried and which we see as a problematic development."

"As stated before, we were thinking of a non-aggression pact and an agreement for intelligence sharing, with an added memorandum of understanding that we consult the other party should any major events occur in the region that threaten the fragile peace. Unless, the Prussian Kingdom has any other ideas in mind, in which case we would be open to discuss them."

A short while later, Corneliu Popescu would deliver a confidential letter to the Prussian Crown.

"Dear Wilhelm,

As these are most turbulent times, where the shifts in the global order happen fast, maiming in a moment woever had not been prepared, I would think, there may be a point in closer cooperation. Following our first cooperation treaty, I would like to offer you an agreement. As Alvonia seems lately to be rather busy and to not care too much about the Polish lands, we would think, it would not be a bad idea to have an agreement to delineate our respective spheres of influence in Poland. If Prussia were to accept Świętokrzyskie Voivodeship, Subcarpathian Voivodeship, Lesser Poland Voivodeship, Łódź Voivodeship, Masovian Voivodeship, Lublin Voivodeship and Podlaskie Voivodeship as part of our and our allies' sphere of influence, we would be willing to acknowledge the rest of the Polish lands being Prussian sphere of influence. Following such an agreement, we would think that in case Alvonia can no longer uphold its regime in Poland, whatever any power does with their sphere of influence is theirs to decide and Romania would not be adverse to seeing Prussia grow a little larger.

Naturally, there still is the issue on how to deal with Alvonia proper, should they not be willing to part with Poland, in which case, we would be willing to enter an agreement with Prussia for a military alliance to take care of that. Whether a full agreement, or one limited in time and scope, we leave up to you. Should you accept our offer, I'd be happy to visit Prussia personally to conclude this agreement.

With most kind regards,

Maria"

The written response would be delivered to the Romanian Consulate:

Frau Maria,

We have an interest in seeing an either independent Poland, or such land to be held by a friendly nation. Since the latter does not seem to be an immediate possibility, we can agree to join and assist you with this move. The specific land we hold an interest in is appears to be what remains from you and your allies, so I see no issue there.

I do not expect Alvonia to be an issue, but would gladly take up arms against them were the situation to warrant it.

It would be an honour to receive you in these lands, and utmost care will be taken to ensure that your stay is as pleasant as possible. Mayhap you have any specific requests to make in mind?

Yours,
Wilhelm von Hohenzollern

Edited by Horo the Wise Wolf