CyberNations and the magic beanstalk

Dajobo

You can't say it wouldn't make wars shorter though...  People would blow each other up, then walk away.

It would also make wars more dynamic.

Assuming people just walk away after blowing each other up. I've seen alliances pursue individuals far past the point they have been blown up, the same can be done with other alliances if in a weaker position.

Personally I never use peace mode anyways, so such a change wouldn't matter much to me. Although I do think Emperor Marx is onto something in saying we need to be careful not to give those who are already winning an even bigger advantage in destroying their enemies completely. Currently those on the weaker side in a conflict already have few tools at their disposal to survive an extended conflict, if their enemies keep them at war past the point of defeat.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's all put aside our differences and unite. Then gang up on the neutral alliances and pick them off one-by-one. Once they have a taste for war there will be more active waring alliances leading to a more exciting new treaty web.

Let's all put aside our differences and unite. Then gang up on the neutral alliances and pick them off one-by-one. Once they have a taste for war there will be more active waring alliances leading to a more exciting new treaty web.

This would be fun, too bad it won't ever happen. 

Here's a radical idea in that vein: make PM no longer available to nations that have purchased the Manhattan Project. You want to be nuclear-armed? Fine, but don't dare call yourself a peaceful nation. It could even lead to a few nations intentionally staying non-nuclear so they could be stagger dummies.

Not the worst idea I've ever seen, but I'd rather go with a non-zero nuke count rather than the MP.

The wonderful thing about CN, and something that many people do not understand, is that you really don't need a large nation to play the game or make an impact. All you need is the charisma, the political savvy, and the will to shepherd people who do have large nations into your flock. This is also the most important reason to have a clear and established boundary between IC and OOC actions and friendships: people need to be able to get stabbed in the back without taking it IRL-personally for the game to be healthy. Likewise this is why it's important to have IC social constructs that make things like eternal war a taboo: so that people can be IC assholes without being shut out from the game indefinitely. The big issue is that removing these sorts of inhibitions to taking initiative is a community responsibility, because there's nothing really enforceable from a game administration standpoint.

The wonderful thing about CN, and something that many people do not understand, is that you really don't need a large nation to play the game or make an impact. All you need is the charisma, the political savvy, and the will to shepherd people who do have large nations into your flock. This is also the most important reason to have a clear and established boundary between IC and OOC actions and friendships: people need to be able to get stabbed in the back without taking it IRL-personally for the game to be healthy. Likewise this is why it's important to have IC social constructs that make things like eternal war a taboo: so that people can be IC my idols without being shut out from the game indefinitely. The big issue is that removing these sorts of inhibitions to taking initiative is a community responsibility, because there's nothing really enforceable from a game administration standpoint.

I agree. you dont have to be mega size to make a political impact.

At the same time, making a "political impact" has become overromanticized here. Some of my best times in CN have been running an alliance that wasn't much in the scheme of things and wasn't earning me the attention of the owf crowd. The great thing CN used to have, and probably still has in some cases, was you had a chance to do things that mattered to you without being fawned over and having folks call the global media up to discuss them.

At the same time, making a "political impact" has become overromanticized here. Some of my best times in CN have been running an alliance that wasn't much in the scheme of things and wasn't earning me the attention of the owf crowd. The great thing CN used to have, and probably still has in some cases, was you had a chance to do things that mattered to you without being fawned over and having folks call the global media up to discuss them.

Sure, different people got different things out of the game. I think most of the "rahhh the game is dead" doomsayers are probably in the drama-feeding forumgoer demographic, though.

I think it's much easier to have an impact on this game now.  All you have to be is mega-active and a total asskisser and you can can usually pull off a straight to MDoAP if you give them what they want.  You just have to sellout in the process.  I think the days of achieving goals without selling out are over, although I'd like to think maybe that's just a short-term trend, win the battle, lose the war type deal.

Have you ever considered that being a bi-product of a smaller world where it isn't about thousand of nations anymore but the few hundred. The lack of events that helped keep the drama llamas interested have decreased so they jump on whatever comes around as if its the last piece of cake left in the world. I can also argue that the forums have always been a place where the masses would judge the actions of any person that carelessly entered.