International Architecture: Not About Buildings

iamthey

So perhaps it is simply that I haven't been active enough to really read between the lines (in so many different news / update threads), but more likely is it that a lot of the structure of international interaction is left unspecified if only because consensus might otherwise be impossible. Everyone has their own idea of how their nation fits within the rest of the framework (often incompatibly with others)- I'm sure Triyun feels the Bancor in fact operates as our reserve currency, while Centurius concurrently denominates all trade in Drachmas. At the same time I'm also sure 90% of us assume we're net exporters and creditors to the world while no one has a single import on their balance sheet. This ambiguity while it lets everyone be whatever they please (while also insulating us from inevitable ooc fights over things like global interest rates and currency manipulation), seems stifling overall as it does eliminate a host of cooperative rp opportunities.

I think we've done an excellent job creating interesting interstate politics through the UN/NPT, but I'm curious what you all think could be done to set up a globalized economic environment in the same stripe. Where is our IMF, world bank, Special Drawing Rights, bretton woods, or USD equivalent? How do so many burgeoning modern paradises even function when most of us seem to be a mix of neo-mercanilist, and walled off third way economies? Global finance is not only important, it drives a lot of our politics in significant ways - laying the groundwork for others to opt-into and participate within a financial game seems like something worthwhile to consider. I'm not suggesting we settle this issue here and now, but perhaps its worth discussing how we currently see ourselves and our peers (in a realistic and semi objective way).

Another consideration would be how current information networks are actually laid out at present? IRL what you see is essentially a series of global trunklines linking into regional hubs. Who controls these hubs in our RP, do we have a central DNS or are we operating under some other architecture? And finally what part does national specialization play in dominating certain industries? We can't all be top producers of precision machinery, semi-condutors, strategic resources, weapons, energy, in vogue software, ect? Specifying such things could actually lead to interesting RP.

Edited by iamthey

surely making the game more complicated will lead to a rise in players.

What I'm suggesting is more the rise of new IC institutions, not the creation of rules. Opt-in opportunities to deepen player interaction, rather than protocols to constrain it.

the problem is nobody is going to RP it out unfavorably to themselves.

There are generally benefits and drawbacks to both sides of any imbalance. Take something like the balance of accounts between two nations. If one is a net importer while the other is a net exporter- the importer is gaining value in the way of goods/services (it's also borrowing whatever currency is used to denominate trade in order to pay for those goods) while the other is accruing foreign reserves. Those reserves give it leverage as it could marginally devalue the other currency at will, but it also serves as a risk as getting anything tangible out of that trade relationship depends upon being able to actually redeem other goods with those reserves (now or in the future).

If that currency were to say crash, then they would have effectively just given away their country's production for nothing. My point being there isn't necessarily a favorable or unfavorable role to be in- ultimately that depends on the context. Furthermore there's the fact that you don't really need to have a winner or a loser, ideally if you have a growing global economy everyone's experience will be at least in some form favorable- or they would simply opt out (baring coercion that might otherwise prevent them form doing so). In either case I wouldn't have a problem RPing an unfavorable outcome against my nation, interesting fiction aside, if only for the fact that it can motivate changes in internal politics, or even justify international action (which might itself be favorable to me).

As far as complexity goes, personally I think the level of depth and technical sophistication to be found in the rp military techs far outstrips anything we could approach in terms of rping global trade or infrastructure.

Edited by iamthey

Complete Market Saturation of Thompson Submachine Gun

Thompson Submachine Gun imported by Port of Sudan Imports and Exports have reached total market saturation.

Within territory of Bear Islands' Nation of the Bear 634,782,912 have currently been purchased.

Anybody who might have wanted to buy a Thompson has a few by now.

Ceiling of customers had been reached without anyone needing any more.

Today everyone owns a collection of Thompsons exceeding thirty weapons a person.

Sudan Imports and Exports' brand 45 ACP ammunition has become a secondary unofficial currency.

All merchants accept Sudan Imports and Exports' brand ammunitions in all transactions.

Not a single other manufacturers' produced rounds are particularly acceptable for trade.

Bear Islands' Nation of the Bear currently isn't circulating a national monetary anything.

A nationwide currency substitution of pre cataclysm coinage.

While this ad hoc system hasn't been authorized by government all merchants have adopted it.

Massive deflation has resulted as none of the countries minting those coins exist anymore.

Economists question using non renewable money as currency.

Moreover the actual coins are calculated worth more to foreign collectors then local circulation.

300px-CHL_2003-500pesos-obv.JPG

This one Chilean peso represents a week of work.

Generalissimo plays an economy! Although a bartering economy devoid of national currency.

the problem is nobody is going to RP it out unfavorably to themselves.

Generalissimo would for I enjoy being at rock bottom.

Nowhere to much go but upwards.

Edited by Generalissimo

There are generally benefits and drawbacks to both sides of any imbalance. Take something like the balance of accounts between two nations. If one is a net importer while the other is a net exporter- the importer is gaining value in the way of goods/services (it's also borrowing whatever currency is used to denominate trade in order to pay for those goods) while the other is accruing foreign reserves. Those reserves give it leverage as it could marginally devalue the other currency at will, but it also serves as a risk as getting anything tangible out of that trade relationship depends upon being able to actually redeem other goods with those reserves (now or in the future).

If that currency were to say crash, then they would have effectively just given away their country's production for nothing. My point being there isn't necessarily a favorable or unfavorable role to be in- ultimately that depends on the context. Furthermore there's the fact that you don't really need to have a winner or a loser, ideally if you have a growing global economy everyone's experience will be at least in some form favorable- or they would simply opt out (baring coercion that might otherwise prevent them form doing so). In either case I wouldn't have a problem RPing an unfavorable outcome against my nation, interesting fiction aside, if only for the fact that it can motivate changes in internal politics, or even justify international action (which might itself be favorable to me).

As far as complexity goes, personally I think the level of depth and technical sophistication to be found in the rp military techs far outstrips anything we could approach in terms of rping global trade or infrastructure.

I'll go as far as to say it is an interesting idea. 

Of course I have the global reserve currency.  I also have the majority of the internet backbone and root servers (I believe I am the only one whose RPed that).

Tianxia is the global leader in weapons (I don't think this can be disputed), related industries like ship building and aircraft building.  I think of it also mineral resource exports, particularly hard to find geographic central stuff like rare earth and lithium.  It also does a lot of manufacturing of other things and I believe is a major financial services hub.  I think overall it probably is a pretty dominant economy on the high end especially on government and enterprise level.  I'm willing to concede though, Cent probably is the more dominant economy in trendy consumer goods, high end sports cars, and other such metrosexual things.

Its got its offshore resources, but is a net importer of oil (lets be honest anyone who knows anything about energy knows any of the big powers except maybe the ruskies can't be energy independent, and off oil by 2025, the numbers just aren't there for renewable energy).  Its a net importer of food, particularly finished high end products.  

I don't think Mogar was referring to rules as much as he was alluding to the fact that very few, if at all, would be interested in RPing the intricacies of international trade, economic development, and other complicated institutions.

I actually would be interested.  With my largely agrarian economy, I would certainly have the highest trade deficit in the world.

Tianxia is the global leader in weapons (I don't think this can be disputed), related industries like ship building and aircraft building.

Russia disputes this. We make the AK, we win.

I think of it also mineral resource exports, particularly hard to find geographic central stuff like rare earth and lithium.

I have manganese, which makes steel. Steel makes Russia stronk.

I'm willing to concede though, Cent probably is the more dominant economy in trendy consumer goods, high end sports cars, and other such metrosexual things.

ITALIA!

I actually would be interested.  With my largely agrarian economy, I would certainly have the highest trade deficit in the world.

My country is neither independent in food, nor in energy, nor in consumer goods. We produce no cash crops and our economy is declining rapidly. Our main exports are hydro-energy, maple syrup and political extremism. Latter doesn't turn a profit though.

My armaments sector is actually quite formidable, thanks to a history of Faraway producing its own stuff. First because we distrust strangers, second because I'm forbidden from importing equipment.

We do however have some mining options, given there is precious metals and various other things in my country.

I like to think that Meihua is top dollar at lumber, oil and gas exports, software/hardware production, with some green tech stuff on the side, but has to import metals (iron and seel mostly), capital goods and some food on the side. Trade deficit overall. Now that I see that Triyun is the main internet man, I feel I should step up to the plate a bit more.

Inflation is on the rise because NAIRU (too good at getting people jobs!), though I'm sure my welfare packages will change that soon.