The GM's Hall

Rudolph

I contest players having access to information they reasonably in the rp would not have access to without posting some form of rp on how they gathered the information they are requesting. Troop positions and force dispositions should remain unknown, perhaps disclosed privately to gms, and then if the person actually rps some form of information gathering apparatus they should be rewarded with some degree of removal of the fog of war appropriate to their stated actions and interactions.

It is the only way to avoid meta-gaming by "omniscient" states.

Edited by Maelstrom Vortex

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How can one collaborate in RP if they do not know what they're working with? Anyway, you need force compositions etc. so you can actually realise what's attacking you and thereby RP properly back. We have a way to avoid metagaming - it's called having GMs, and we already have a thread dedicated to the conflict where people could quite easily post if they feel that someone is metagaming. It's not that hard, guys.

I think it would be better to prevent metagaming to begin with. We can always tell the GMs what's there. You don't know that there's a tank on the ground in rl among the troops unless you have a drone to know to deploy an anti-tank missile against it. You don't know if there's artillery with the infantry without some way of seeing it. There are ways for rping interactions between forces when there is an initial fog of war. It's called RPing the gathering of intelligence. That can be done, and then force dispositions and locations can be revealed. Giving others that information that they have not legitimately sought, the majority of the players in this RP will assemble the perfect solution to the enemy forces they are facing when that information shouldn't have been theirs and they may have made critical errors or not hit specific assets that were important. If you're going to do a war, it needs done properly. People should give the courtesy of rping how they are obtaining the force composition and locations of the enemy. If they cannot, then they should not be assumed to have those assets or given any information really.

Gathering intelligence can itself be the initial start of a battle, a point of conflict.

Edited by Maelstrom Vortex

when people are the problem, the problem cannot be fixed

the rp is a function of the people in it and you will never be able to design a rp that can allow a bunch of shitty people to have a good rp

it just doesn't work that way

all you guys are doing by making a billion rules is making things worse

Two spy rolls against Dotcom, to begin separatist groups and public protests regarding the annexation of the former Amur Republic.

4RZYyeG.png

I would also like to argue against RPing the population on her part since I had troops in the region just as long as she did.

Edited by Mogar

http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?/topic/124415-european-war-ooc-thread/page-7#entry3317872

http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?/topic/124364-constantes-decision/

It has been 7 days, since I launched my attack on Rudolph. In these 7 days, I have gotten a reply, which however does not adequately respond to the invasion and gives not enough information to respond to even in the most limited way (I can't even properly estimate casualties). Over the last few days, I have made multiple inquiries to have these matters clarified, both in the OOC thread and on IRC, however I have not received the necessary information. Given this situation, I would thus like the GM to please give me rulings on the following questions:

1. Can I be exempted from being auto-advanced on after 7 days, due to not having been supplied sufficient information to make a proper reply in the first place?

2.a Can I get an auto-advance on Rudolph, along with a wipe of his insufficient response, given he clearly failed to adequately respond to my attack?

- or alternatively -

2.b Would it be possible that after a GM-specified amount of days, I or the GM just assume locations and numbers for Rudy, if he does not respond, in order to allow the RP to not be stuck?

I'd think, a person that had the time to make a post and a factbook, as well as some character RP to accompany the former, could at least clarify the number of soldiers and the location of their fortifications, if they already decide to utilise such. and while this RP was on hold for a couple days, this should not mean people can just hold off from giving adequate information to clarify already existing to basically stall the fight. In my opinion.

This post has nothing to do with whatever the hell is up there ^

Two spy rolls against Dotcom, to begin separatist groups and public protests regarding the annexation of the former Amur Republic.

4RZYyeG.png

I would also like to argue against RPing the population on her part since I had troops in the region just as long as she did.

Doing rolls on this, sorry for delay.

1-70 Success

71-100 Failure

EzIi6xC.png

23, 86. One win, one fail.

You cannot intercerpt satcomms unless you are in the direct path of their transmission. End of discussion.

Secondly, you have never RPd that kind of capability, and the Plains Fed has zero communications links with Carthage for you to use, nor do we have any with your allies to piggyback off of.

Also, your odds are wrong.

Edited by Mara Lithaen

You cannot intercerpt satcomms unless you are in the direct path of their transmission. End of discussion.

Secondly, you have never RPd that kind of capability, and the Plains Fed has zero communications links with Carthage for you to use, nor do we have any with your allies to piggyback off of.

To have the bandwidth needed for the kind of information you're seeking to transmit and the area in which your fleets are in it is very much possible for sigint and other facilities in the area to intercept the signal. Nothing that is wireless is protected against interception.

Seeing as we're only talking about text communication, and not pictures or streaming video, the bandwidth needn't be high.

Also, bullshit. Hold up, let me go down the hall and ask my friend ET2 what the odds are of anyone being able to intercept or decrypt his equipment is.

Edited by Mara Lithaen

Seeing as we're only talking about text communication, and not pictures or streaming video, the bandwidth needn't be high.

Also, !@#$%^&*. Hold up, let me go down the hall and ask my friend ET2 what the odds are of anyone being able to intercept or decrypt his equipment is.

Or you ask these guys http://www.homelandsecuritynewswire.com/dr20140811-satcoms-vulnerable-to-hacking

Incorrect.  Read a book.  Communications includes your drone to ship communications, all that sensor data your relaying, not just text messaging.

You can't intercept EHF communications easily, but EHF has the least bandwidth capacity, it can only be used to send very limited transmissions, not on the order or magnitude you are doing, more like, 'Launch ze missiles, authorization code'  Not 'coordinate air sea battle' thats a bitch ton more bandwidth.

Err my bad, forgot you edited, super hornets, you're still relaying their data back, which cannot be sent really via text.  Either way, I see you went up to threatcon after the fact, I'm pretty sure you're not allowed to do that, it applies to when the roll was requested, but it encase it isn't I have 70% odds now not 60 ;)

Edit:  Though if you really want those pilots using text to send info on my fleets, I'm very cool with that.

Edited by Triyun

As we are all currently using Mael's Satellite network, and by default due to the way his information encryption works, the only way you will be able to access any of our computer networks is by accepting Mael's "virus" onto your own systems, so I'm not really certain you wish to do that.

As we are all currently using Mael's Satellite network, and by default due to the way his information encryption works, the only way you will be able to access any of our computer networks is by accepting Mael's "virus" onto your own systems, so I'm not really certain you wish to do that.

As far as I can see Mael gave you access to his surveillance system, that's not satellite communications.

Edit: And even if it were the case, there is nothing that obligates anyone to accept a virus onto their systems that doesn't exist in real life.

Edited by Centurius

There's also nothing in real life that says you can actually hack into encrypted networks by making a dice roll.

The dice roll gets reflected with rp in the war post and is an ooc mechanic to determine ic results. Such a virus would be entirely an ic system thus subject to the same rules that restrict all our military systems.

Also, if I remember correctly, Triyun, Cent, Horo, and Eva all demanded I make at least 6 spyrolls in order to get a virus onto rota's defense network, mind explaining why you two are allowed to make simply one to hack into systems and magically locate exactly what you're looking for?

Also, if I remember correctly, Triyun, Cent, Horo, and Eva all demanded I make at least 6 spyrolls in order to get a virus onto rota's defense network, mind explaining why you two are allowed to make simply one to hack into systems and magically locate exactly what you're looking for?

We know what systems we need to target and what we're looking for. The fact that those systems are exposed already to external open signals shows they can be accessed remotely