Lynneth

[CNRP2]

"The Plains Federation would like to open diplomatic relations with our southern neighbors in Tikal. Would your government be open to such a thing?"

"Her Serene Highness, Shana'Kin Yaxchel Ik'nal, Ix'ajaw ichil Tikal, Cihuatlatoani Tlahtoloyan, Embodiment of Awilix, has declared her willingness to meet with representatives from the Plains Federation, whether such happens within the Principality itself or wherever your diplomats may deems it reasonable.

"Should the Federation wish to meet within its own sovereign territory, be advised that the Princess will travel with a personal entourage of six guards and at least five dozen servants, utilising the Principal Concorde to make the journey as short as possible. Preparations for such a journey may also take up to seven days.

Please inform us where you would like the meeting to be held."

"The Vice President of the Federation suggests that such a meeting be held at the Cat Island resort in the Bahamas, with sufficient security parties brought by both sides so as to make the representatives feel comfortable."

Edited by Mara Lithaen

"That is acceptable. We will meet you in a week's time in the Bahamas."

A week later, the modified Concorde touched down on Arthur's Town airport, its runway just long enough for the craft to safely land and take-off.

Out of it emerged the Princess, six personal guard and 64 Servants, all but the guard clothed appropriately for the sunny and warm day. Luckily, several vehicles had been chartered before coming to the islands, now waiting for them at the edge of the runway, ready to bring them to the location of the meeting.

An hour before that, Anna Kennedy's Learjet touched down at the same airport, closely followed by a C-22 Osprey carrying her own, small SEAL guard detail plus miscellaneous encryption and communications gear for secure lines to the Federation government. From there, Kennedy, her staff and guards, all made their way to a modestly sized but very comfortable beachside house owned by the Federation for exactly this type of meeting. Kennedy then had her communications techs signal the Tikal representatives to inform them of the site's location. She made herself a mimosa, sat out on the covered meeting area with a view of the sea, and waited for the Princess's arrival.

Within less than a quarter hour, the Princess and her entourage arrived at the compound, Servants quickly getting busy with unloading components for a mobile computer and comms-device, carrying them around the building to near the porch. Meanwhile, the Princess walked onto the Porch, silently sitting down on one of the free chairs. Her guards had spread out, silently covering areas the SEALs had missed through low numbers.

Once the Servants had finished setting up the machine nearby, the Princess typed a few commands on her arm-held holo-computer and nodded to herself, shutting the hologram down. Then she looked up at Kennedy with a smile.
"Miss Kennedy. It's an honour meeting you, even more so on such a beautiful day as today."

Within less than a quarter hour, the Princess and her entourage arrived at the compound, Servants quickly getting busy with unloading components for a mobile computer and comms-device, carrying them around the building to near the porch. Meanwhile, the Princess walked onto the Porch, silently sitting down on one of the free chairs. Her guards had spread out, silently covering areas the SEALs had missed through low numbers.

Once the Servants had finished setting up the machine nearby, the Princess typed a few commands on her arm-held holo-computer and nodded to herself, shutting the hologram down. Then she looked up at Kennedy with a smile.
"Miss Kennedy. It's an honour meeting you, even more so on such a beautiful day as today."

"And a it's pleasure to meet you as well, Your Highness." she said with a matching smile, and a true smile it was, reaching her eyes. "I had to justify the expense of this place to the Treasury, but I think you can see the reason why." she said, waving a hand at the utter natural beauty of their surroundings. "I'm glad you could make it. We've got quite a bit to discuss, but when we're done here, you're more than welcome to stay a while and enjoy some time away from the bustle of official business."

"Though I would love to stay for some time, my duties require that I travel home soon after this meeting is concluded. Regardless of that, however, I'm glad to be here. It's really almost a little piece of paradise."

A servant brought the Princess a cool drink, which she took gratefully. A minute and some sips later, she turned from the surrounding landscape back to Anna. The Princess hadn't had a diplomatic discussion this relaxed in a long time. "So, what would you like to discuss today, Miss Kennedy? I'm listening."

"Though I would love to stay for some time, my duties require that I travel home soon after this meeting is concluded. Regardless of that, however, I'm glad to be here. It's really almost a little piece of paradise."

A servant brought the Princess a cool drink, which she took gratefully. A minute and some sips later, she turned from the surrounding landscape back to Anna. The Princess hadn't had a diplomatic discussion this relaxed in a long time. "So, what would you like to discuss today, Miss Kennedy? I'm listening."

Anna sat back with her mimosa in hand, crossing one leg over another and adjusting her sunhat a bit. "Well, your Highness, the Plains Federation is finally turning its eyes at least somewhat towards the rest of the world, and it is always nice to know one's neighbors. We're also wanting to ensure our Atlantic trade routes, through the acquisition of the Florida Keys. Your nation being the world's dominant naval power, however, leads us to come to you for assistance in that goal, and also partially for permission. We've no desire to create a quarrel with you, and thus I come to let you know in advance of our plans."

The Princess nodded. "I see, I see. Well, we wouldn't mind the Federation taking this step to ensure that trade keeps flowing. Our main goal is to protect the Americas from colonialism and imperialism coming from the rest of the world, and to prevent American nations from doing the same to other continents. In that regard, I suppose you would have our blessing to take control of the Keys and establish a base there, if the population indeed wants to return to being governed by a centralised nation-state." She took another sip from her drink.

"Of course, I can also assure you that both the Panama and Nicaragua canal will always be open for civilian vessels, as long as the nation whose flag they fly under is not actively at war with us. I suppose a guarantee in form of a NAP and treaty of friendship might be desired, as well?"

The Princess nodded. "I see, I see. Well, we wouldn't mind the Federation taking this step to ensure that trade keeps flowing. Our main goal is to protect the Americas from colonialism and imperialism coming from the rest of the world, and to prevent American nations from doing the same to other continents. In that regard, I suppose you would have our blessing to take control of the Keys and establish a base there, if the population indeed wants to return to being governed by a centralised nation-state." She took another sip from her drink.

"Of course, I can also assure you that both the Panama and Nicaragua canal will always be open for civilian vessels, as long as the nation whose flag they fly under is not actively at war with us. I suppose a guarantee in form of a NAP and treaty of friendship might be desired, as well?"

Anna smiled brilliantly at the Princess. "That would be desired very, very much indeed. The Federation can always use more friends, especially ones with as much potential as you and your nation." she said, and took a sip from her drink. "I suppose we could have our staffs do the actual treaty writing while we take a few hours to enjoy ourselves while they take care of the nitty-gritty." she said, raising an eyebrow at the Princess and raising one slender hand to gesture at the waves and beach.

Edited by Mara Lithaen

"Actually, we have some standard treaties usable for this. Give me just a moment."

The hologram sprung up from her left arm and within a few minutes, a treaty similar to the one signed with Babylon appeared on the display. Using a single motion, she turned it so Kennedy could see it, English and Yucatec Maya version side-by-side.

"A treaty of non-aggression, friendship and a commitment to keep relations between our nations strong." With a stroke, a paragraph concerning free trade was added. "And free trade, perhaps. If you approve, I'll have a copy of the treaty printed and sent to your foreign relations ministry, signed by my husband."

After that, she leaned back in her chair with a small sigh. "Though I would like to stay for longer than planned simply to relax a little in the sun, I'm afraid that my duties will call me back in a rather short time. And, I do miss my Husband already. I hope you understand, Miss Kennedy?"

"Actually, we have some standard treaties usable for this. Give me just a moment."

The hologram sprung up from her left arm and within a few minutes, a treaty similar to the one signed with Babylon appeared on the display. Using a single motion, she turned it so Kennedy could see it, English and Yucatec Maya version side-by-side.

"A treaty of non-aggression, friendship and a commitment to keep relations between our nations strong." With a stroke, a paragraph concerning free trade was added. "And free trade, perhaps. If you approve, I'll have a copy of the treaty printed and sent to your foreign relations ministry, signed by my husband."

After that, she leaned back in her chair with a small sigh. "Though I would like to stay for longer than planned simply to relax a little in the sun, I'm afraid that my duties will call me back in a rather short time. And, I do miss my Husband already. I hope you understand, Miss Kennedy?"

Anna looked the treaty over, and nodded in approval. "That certainly works for us." she said, and sat back in her chair.

She smiled once more at the Princess. "Of course, Your Highness. I understand that very well. In any case- " she said, sipping her drink, "I'm sure we'll be speaking again in the future. And this is my favorite spot to do business. This has been the most... fun that I've ever had doing my job, I must say."

"Well, I do hope that you'll have much fun and many successes in the future. And perhaps you'll have a more long-lasting success, as well." She finished her drink and nodded with a knowing smile at Anna. "Thank you for your great hospitality. But now, I have to prepare for the journey home. Farewell, Anna Kennedy, and until our next meeting."

After standing, the Princess bowed slightly for just a moment. Then, she slowly strode back to the vehicles while her servants were packing the machinery back up. They'd deliver it back to the plane, but the Princess and her guards would spend another half or full hour on the island, permitting the Diarch some time to relax in peace, and out of sight of any who hadn't gained her absolute trust.

But time passed far too quickly, and so by the end of the day, the Princess of Tikal had returned home.

Anna sighed a little and fanned herself after waving the Princess goodbye and waiting for her to be well off-premises. "My oh my, " she said slowly, with a slight twangy drawl that normally didn't creep into her speech unless she was truly relaxed. "She was..." she said, not completing the statement, simply taking a drink of her mimosa, setting it to the side. She set her sunhat aside, pulled her coverup off, and made her way to the waves for a dip in the warm Caribbean sea.

Not bad for a day at work.

Anna wasn't as quick to leave, but within the week, her little vacation was over and she was firmly entrenched once more behind her desk in the Capitol Building.

Edited by Mara Lithaen