How serious do you take this game?

Beauty

Srs?  

117 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Depends on the time of year and the time of day. Tonight its about at a 7-8. Yet a few days ago I collected at 23 days because I forgot I was playing. You almost had me gone......Someone's been praying.

As negative as it sounds, I'm glad the drama got you interested and active. More people need to be offended.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I put "3". I'm not a huge gamer but take it more seriously than other games. But WAY less seriously than many of you. You really shouldnt put ten unless you'd kill and die to win.

Here is an explanation of my number:

THINGS I WILL SKIP/POSTPONE/MAKE WAIT/INTERRUPT TO MAKE AN IMPORTANT UPDATE:

-Netflix

-People who like me that I don't care about (even hot chicks)

-Facebook

-Reading

-Other games

-Most TV

-Dinner

-Going to the store

-Repeated texts from women with borderline personality disorder inquiring if I'm ok because I haven't texted them back in twenty minutes

-The stupid, manufactured emotional crises of said women

-Movies at home

-housework

THINGS I WILL SKIP/POSTPONE/INTERRUPT AN IMPORTANT UPDATE FOR:

-Paid Tutoring

-Cosmos and Supernatural

-Sex

-People who like me that I DO care about/respect

-Hiking

-Parties

-Trips/adventures

-Movies in theatre

-Family issues

-"Being there" for good friends/family

-A good debate/discussion, especially political, scientific, or philosophical

The feeling I get when my nation does poorly is the same as what you'd expect if your favorite show was preempted this week. The feeling I get when my nation does well is what you'd expect from winning a round of ping pong or chess.

I rate this at about a three. Here is my heuristic:

1. Player is indifferent to their nations and may have created it spontaneously or as a joke. Little or no knowledge of powergaming, and nation/leader roleplay is not fleshed out. Understanding how to properly utilize the rules feels like homework, and this type of player prefers clicking on and buying things more or less at random. May lose interest in or forget about nation, or longstanding player that routinely signs on to collect once every 2 weeks or so. Unlikely to ever be seen on the forum. Considers the idea of spending real money on CN hilarious.

5. Player is highly invested in the game, but not unhealthily so. May become very upset if they lose and almost always on at update. Participates in some depth in all aspects of the game, studies the rules carefully and/or creates a fleshed out personality and a detailed fantasy image of thier nation.

10. Player is pathologically committed to the game. May have violent, psychotic episodes or engage in suicidal ideation if nation does poorly. Will interrupt major life events to be active at key times. Identifies more with frequent forum participants than real life circle of friends/family, who they may alienate for CN. Spends hours a day powergaming small mathematical details and fantasizing in mathematical detail about possible future nation scenarios, and/or has a complete, detailed biography for their nation leader, in which case they may consider is a secondary or even primary persona, and insist that their real world friends call them by their CN ruler name. Donates $30 monthly, even if it means eviction or starvation.

But really, those of you who put ten, you remind me of that scene in half baked with Bob Saget "I sucked d*^% for coke. You ever suck d^%& for" ...tech?

If you wouldn't, you're not a ten.

Edited by John More Dread

As annoying, unhelpful, and self-defeating as Rotavele is, I'm getting tired of watching this community blow up over people !@#$@#$ with each other IRL. Stop sharing your own info and stop sharing other people's info especially. The people who make up this community are, for the most part, garbage.

Actually, dude, whether you've shared your details or NOT, once you ask someone to stop contacting you and they continue to contact you, it is harassment. If they are verbally abusive, it is assault. This is not a "style of play" issue, it is a legal issue which has nothing to do with CN any more.

"Cyberbullying" is taken IRRATIONALLY seriously by the police, and if I were harassed in RL due to anything having to do with CN, I would pursue any and all legal avenues to take full advantage of this fact and recieve compensation/press charges against anyone and everyone/thing I could. Not because I feel "pain and suffering",or feel the need to combat "cyberbullying" but because if you enter a sphere of my life I have not given you permission to enter, and then are hostile there, I will do anything and everything I can to destroy you and have your soul for dessert. CN is a 3 for me, my boundaries and control in RL, however, are an eleven. And you saw what I rated as a ten.

I put "3". I'm not a huge gamer but take it more seriously than other games. But WAY less seriously than many of you. You really shouldnt put ten unless you'd kill and die to win.

Here is an explanation of my number:

THINGS I WILL SKIP/POSTPONE/MAKE WAIT/INTERRUPT TO MAKE AN IMPORTANT UPDATE:

-Netflix

-People who like me that I don't care about (even hot chicks)

-Facebook

-Reading

-Other games

-Most TV

-Dinner

-Going to the store

-Repeated texts from women with borderline personality disorder inquiring if I'm ok because I haven't texted them back in twenty minutes

-The stupid, manufactured emotional crises of said women

-Movies at home

-housework

THINGS I WILL SKIP/POSTPONE/INTERRUPT AN IMPORTANT UPDATE FOR:

-Paid Tutoring

-Cosmos and Supernatural

-Sex

-People who like me that I DO care about/respect

-Hiking

-Parties

-Trips/adventures

-Movies in theatre

-Family issues

-"Being there" for good friends/family

-A good debate/discussion, especially political, scientific, or philosophical

The feeling I get when my nation does poorly is the same as what you'd expect if your favorite show was preempted this week. The feeling I get when my nation does well is what you'd expect from winning a round of ping pong or chess.

I rate this at about a three. Here is my heuristic:

1. Player is indifferent to their nations and may have created it spontaneously or as a joke. Little or no knowledge of powergaming, and nation/leader roleplay is not fleshed out. Understanding how to properly utilize the rules feels like homework, and this type of player prefers clicking on and buying things more or less at random. May lose interest in or forget about nation, or longstanding player that routinely signs on to collect once every 2 weeks or so. Unlikely to ever be seen on the forum. Considers the idea of spending real money on CN hilarious.

5. Player is highly invested in the game, but not unhealthily so. May become very upset if they lose and almost always on at update. Participates in some depth in all aspects of the game, studies the rules carefully and/or creates a fleshed out personality and a detailed fantasy image of thier nation.

10. Player is pathologically committed to the game. May have violent, psychotic episodes or engage in suicidal ideation if nation does poorly. Will interrupt major life events to be active at key times. Identifies more with frequent forum participants than real life circle of friends/family, who they may alienate for CN. Spends hours a day powergaming small mathematical details and fantasizing in mathematical detail about possible future nation scenarios, and/or has a complete, detailed biography for their nation leader, in which case they may consider is a secondary or even primary persona, and insist that their real world friends call them by their CN ruler name. Donates $30 monthly, even if it means eviction or starvation.

But really, those of you who put ten, you remind me of that scene in half baked with Bob Saget "I sucked d*^% for coke. You ever suck d^%& for" ...tech?

If you wouldn't, you're not a ten.

I would say if you write posts this long explaining how you don't care that much, you're not a 3.

I would say if you write posts this long explaining how you don't care that much, you're not a 3.

The (even hot chicks) bit puts him at about a 20 on several scales. Edited by Neo Uruk

I think the fact that I have read a post on this forum, without being linked to it puts me instantly into the 5+ category.

Now I realise I care more than I have ever wanted to, and need to comfort eat... so about them pizzas again?

That's because you don't understand how much people can and do care about video games.

I did not mean to create the image that I didnt care. It's my favorite video game, but I enjoy it in the context of being "just a game" and not "serious business".

It does not, for example, affect my work or self esteem at all. As I said, if a ten did poorly you might expect suicidal ideation. A ten means, the maximum it is possible to care about something. If not caring is a 0, and suicidal ideation as a reaction to loss is a ten, then an overly long explanatory post would indeed be about a three.

Anyway Although I do care somewhat about CN, in this case what you saw my irrational passion for was not CN at all, but people using 0 to 10 scales properly (I work at LUCE Research part time as well and this is a pet peeve of mine regarding political phone interviews. If someone gives Obama a 0 and McCain a 10, what would they give Hitler and Jesus?)

I read Mr. Dread's preceding posts with certain caution, and including the newest rabble, however, I lost my desire to live.

rab·ble: 1. a disorderly crowd; a mob.

2. ordinary people, especially when regarded as socially inferior or uncouth.

Maybe you wanna run that by me again? Perhaps it is your English teacher that has cause for thoughts of suicide.

I had skipped this thread and the OP because, Rotavele.

However something about n00b's sig being trashy brought me to this thread. Followed a link from elsewhere.

I read Hime's Post, alluding to your OP, and i then read the OP (convoluted path, yes)

All i have to say is this, if what you claim in your OP is true, then you have my sympathy, regardless of how much of a IC tool i think you are. Nobody deserves to have their RL disrupted in that fashion.

The sad fact is that it happens to all divisive figures and always has (even going back to NS prior to CN). It's part of why I quit, and it's also why I never gave out Facebook, phone, Skype, full name, even e-mail in most cases. You have to be almost paranoid to protect yourself, and of course it can come at the cost of friendships ("don't you trust me?"). It's a tough balance to strike, and it becomes ever more difficult to keep the two realms separate as the years come. The safest thing to do is just assume that everybody you meet online is a whacko that's one provocation away from turning your life into a slasher film.

The sad fact is that it happens to all divisive figures and always has (even going back to NS prior to CN). It's part of why I quit, and it's also why I never gave out Facebook, phone, Skype, full name, even e-mail in most cases. You have to be almost paranoid to protect yourself, and of course it can come at the cost of friendships ("don't you trust me?"). It's a tough balance to strike, and it becomes ever more difficult to keep the two realms separate as the years come. The safest thing to do is just assume that everybody you meet online is a whacko that's one provocation away from turning your life into a slasher film.

This ^ all of it!

Online security and protection of personal information pertains as much to online games as it does to online shopping or banking.

Once you cross the 4th wall with your info you have effectively put every aspect of your RL in jeopardy of personal attacks and loss of privacy. That is not to even mention the risk of losing financial security in the case of (stupidly) using a universal password associated with an email address.

I had skipped this thread and the OP because, Rotavele.

However something about n00b's sig being trashy brought me to this thread. Followed a link from elsewhere.

I read Hime's Post, alluding to your OP, and i then read the OP (convoluted path, yes)

All i have to say is this, if what you claim in your OP is true, then you have my sympathy, regardless of how much of a IC tool i think you are. Nobody deserves to have their RL disrupted in that fashion.

I think it's pretty swell myself.

I voted 2. It used to be like a 6 but recently it has become less of a political simulator and more of a war game and I find war games boring.

I like you man, but I can't recall the last time OG simulated politics.  Guessing it was right around Karma.

Sometimes I think about all the hours I've spent on things related to this game. Then I get sad because I realize all the things I could have gotten done... like building a lifesize matchstick house out of real matchsticks.

I have been around this game for a long time (came in just after GW1). However unless we've been in the same alliance it is unlikely you've interacted with me very much. (If you're an old GOLD member you know me as Echo_Four or Walking_Dead- in GLOF it is Walking_Dead, even if my current ruler name is General Somoza). Like most, my time for the game and interest in the game has cycled from high to low over the years. But through it all a few things have remained constant. 

Whether you're a member of my alliance, one of my allies, or someone that is a CN enemy; it all ends as soon as the browser and IRC windows are closed. I simply cannot understand how anyone would allow any online community to influence you so greatly that it moves beyond the proper boundaries and into real life. There is simply no excuse to torment someone away from this game for anything that has happened within the confines of CN. If you find yourself even thinking about someone from the game when you aren't engaged in playing you really need to consider your priorities and reflect on whether you're allowing a fantasy world to become too important to you. 

In the end, we're all a part of a community here. The mechanics of the game were surpassed by the community long ago. If not for the interactions we have with one another most of us would have been gone long before now. However, it is important to keep in mind that every single person in this community has a life outside this game, just like you do. Allowing that person to come to the game when they choose and to step away from it when needed is important in ensuring that this community continues to be a place we all enjoy. If passing around personal information, doxing, and other such activities becomes the norm fewer and fewer people will want to take part in this little experiment. That, in turn, hurts all of us. Whether you appreciate someone in the game or hate them, this place simply wouldn't be the same without them. 

However, now people are passing around my phone number. Blowing it up with calls and texts. My home phone is being called a lot, and I've had the age old pizza delivery trick.

I don't know whether this has something to do with me having had part of my childhood before the widespread proliferation of the internet, but I'd never give out my phone number or address to people I've known only through the internet. To me the internet is still full of creepy old men.  :ph34r:

I don't know whether this has something to do with me having had part of my childhood before the widespread proliferation of the internet, but I'd never give out my phone number or address to people I've known only through the internet. To me the internet is still full of creepy old men.  :ph34r:

Whoa whoa I'm not old. I'm just a creepy man.