From the Baltic to Novgorod

Uberstein

Mr. Simoneit would shake the Foreign Minister's hand, before speaking in Russian, "Mr. Konstantinov, recent events in Finland have managed to get back to my government. All in all, we find the situation alarming, and are approaching both governments to try and find out more. I hope I'm not too bold, but are you willing to provide your government's side of the story? You may find my government can be very understanding."

"Well, officially Tsar Vladilem Yukanovski is Tsar of Novgorod, and Knyaz of Finland and many other holdings, and although my Tsar's title includes all of Finland, we were willing to allow a native government to form should it so desire to. We deployed a regiment to the area in question to secure it for Novgorod, and only sought the coast to Helsinki. The commander on the ground attempted to explain this to his Swedish counterpart, who did not wish to listen to the rightful claims made by us." Adjusting his glasses, Konstantinov continued, "So we returned with a larger force to show how serious we were in having this area under our protection, and informed the Swedish that we were willing to allow their soldiers to leave, in addition to letting them know they were occupying the area illegally. We also outlined where our protection would extend, as shown here." At this, Konstantinov slid over a map, the same one sent to the Swedish. "Obviously, this is far less than claiming the whole of Finland as my Tsar's title suggests, and we even generously gave a guarantee we would claim no further than what is shown there. Unreasonably, the Swedish demanded we cede St. Petersburg and Karelia to them in exchange for the coast. This was simply unacceptable to my Tsar, and as such we have no choice but to take what is rightfully ours by force."

Pausing to take a sip of water, Konstantinov added, "As my Tsar has said in various press releases, war is not in Novgorod's nature. We did as much as we could to solve this situation peacefully and still retain honor for both sides."

"From my understanding, Sweden has not responded to our own attempts to contact their government, though some governments move slower than others. What does concern my government is the Swedish insistence that Finland is Nordic. As a nation with significant Finno-Ugric roots, mostly in the region of Estonia, this erasure of the proud heritage of Finland concerns us. If a rebirth of this nordic-viking spirit of invasion happens, all touching the Baltic sea could be in danger. At the same time, your own nation seems eager enough to try and, well, put on the shoes once worn by the Russian Empire. To put it simply, Ubersteinia is willing to support Novgorod in the defense of Finland, but first we would need some guarantees."

"Very reasonable concerns. I will admit there are some in my government who feel that we should reclaim the Russian Empire, but we are an empire our own and as such we must forge our own destiny. The first, I believe, is working towards friendly relations with regional neighbors. I still have hope for Sweden, but meanwhile you and your government shall be our first priority. What sort of guarantees do you need?"

"Sovereignty. Tsars of the past have claimed ownership over the Baltic states. We've been tossed back and forth between Germans and Russians for quite some time, and I'd rather avoid a return to such. It just so happens that my government agrees with my personal desire to stay independent." He smiled for the first time in the meeting. Novgorod's willingness to work with the Baltic Union was a relief, "Simply put, the Tsar, if he holds any claims over the territories of Estonia, Lithuania, Latvia, and Poland, must renounce these claims. In turn, Ubersteinia can and will be a staunch ally, and support the Tsar's claim over Finland."

Konstantinov nodded, smiling as well. "I believe Tsar Yukanovski will agree to that. In return for your support in Finland, we shall support your claims in Poland and sovereignty in the Baltic states." He extended his hand over the desk, grin very wide now. "This is the start of something wonderful, Ambassador. Novgorod thanks you and your people for their friendship in these troubling times."

Simoneit gave a firm handshake, "I will return in a day or so with a proper treaty to sign. I'm glad that Novgorod is so reasonable. Hopefully this is the beginning of an end of the animosity that has existed between the people of the Baltics and the people of Rus."

After the meeting, Ambassador Simoneit would return to Riga to meet with the president.

OOC: EDIT: I'll write one up once I'm not exhausted. So, Tuesday.

Edited by Uberstein

I. The Novgorodian Empire recognizes the complete sovereignty of the Baltic Union of Ubersteinia, and shall take no actions with impede on that sovereignty.
Ib. Tsar Yukanovski relinquishes any claims over the territories of: Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland. This relinquishment shall also apply to any offspring and heirs to the Tsar.

II. The Baltic Union of Ubersteinia recognizes the complete sovereignty of the Novgorodian Empire, which extends over Tsar Yukanovski's right over the territory of Finland.

III. The Novgorodian Empire and the Baltic Union of Ubersteinia agree to mutual defense of each other's recognized sovereignty; military assistance and intelligence sharing is required should any nation threaten the sovereignty of the signed nations.

IV. Cancellation: this pact may be cancelled at any time as long as a ((1 Real-time Week)) grace period is observed.

Signed, President Erwin von Uberstein of the Baltic Union of Ubersteinia

Signed, Ambassador to the Novgorodian Empire Nojus Simoneit

Edited by Uberstein