The Cult of Personality

Walshington

I would say I base my views of people more on how they interact through IRC than on the OWF.  There are a number of people on the OWF whose posting I find irritating (I'm sure its mutual) that are swell when talking in their channels.

I would say I base my views of people more on how they interact through IRC than on the OWF.  There are a number of people on the OWF whose posting I find irritating (I'm sure its mutual) that are swell when talking in their channels.

I've noticed that too, people are a different kinda retarded in IRC

Edited by jrkee

Yes, the character of alliances are often cast by the most visible members, along with the actions of the AA in general.

The giants of OWF are largely all gone, we lesser men struggle on as best we can.

*concurrent gurgling arises from the bottom of the well of mediocrity....

Now back into further obscurity I sink.

Edited by Kzoppistan

In my experience the majority of players base the bulk of their AA opinion generation on the way they see the "loud minority" of said AA that inhabit the OWF. The louder the individual the more so it occurs naturally. Also a lot comes down to sphere's, a loud mouth OWF poster who happens to fight beside you is always more tolerable then a loud mouth OWF poster who fights against you and normally always becomes the poster child for your disdain toward their sphere.  

In my experience the majority of players base the bulk of their AA opinion generation on the way they see the "loud minority" of said AA that inhabit the OWF. The louder the individual the more so it occurs naturally. Also a lot comes down to sphere's, a loud mouth OWF poster who happens to fight beside you is always more tolerable then a loud mouth OWF poster who fights against you and normally always becomes the poster child for your disdain toward their sphere.  

Tell me about it. Its mostly why I don't post anymore. People don't know how to have fun.

Edited by magicninja

Tell me about it. Its mostly why I don't post anymore. People don't know how to have fun.

Aye .. Some are so serious they can barely have fun about being serious ..

[disappointed by the interowebs again .. Went searching for a meme or vid of Bishop's 'invent your own penis game' quote from Waiting to go with this post and came up empty-handed]

This is exactly true. That's why whatever alliance recruits OWF pariahs (Junka, Rota, Rey, etc) automatically are viewed as terrible in my eyes.

Sometimes people take a gamble and it works out. Only the alliances that regularly do this are viewed as terrible in my eyes. But then again MK and NSO were/are notorious for taking "nutjobs" and while I dislike both, I wouldn't say they were/are terrible alliances. 

EDIT: That is to say one must have a bit of competency before one is even worthy of disliking. 

Edited by Unknown Smurf

I would disagree on people like Rey, Rotavele and Mogar.  Possibly because they have been in so many alliances, I think they have  transcended alliances and are more viewed as personalities than spokesmen. Whereas Rush, Rayvon and Xiphosis have brand recognition with TLR, NSO and GOD respectively, I think when Rey, Rota or Mogar post they speak for Rey, Rota and Mogar only.  When Tela speaks, I think Echelon; when Rota posts, I think Rota, regardless of alliance affiliation.

Of the three of us, I consider myself to be of a different league than Rey or Rota, while both have their individual personalities, I am the only one who manage a one man alliance and not simply get rolled into oblivion, I was on RAGE for three months without so much as a single defensive war, launched declarations against over a dozen alliances, get multiple of said alliances to surrender to me, and walk away without so much as a slap on the wrist. I also don't AA hop anywhere near as much as they do, RIA, Bal Masque, Anarchy Inc, and MI6 have been my only alliances in the past 3+ years, excluding my one man activities. I will agree though that the three of us(as well as a few others) have transcended alliances, but I can also turn on the gov switch when required and speak of a more eloquent nature as is expected when you are responsible for other nations.

Without the personalities there would be just the great unwashed and who has ever given a toss what they think.

This realm needs personalities to define not just alliances but the entire show.  Polaris has always been defined by the word of the current Emperor but some choose to hang their opinion on the basis of other personalities who may or may not have any control over anything.  It is what it is.

Without the personalities there would be just the great unwashed and who has ever given a toss what they think.

I have to agree with this.There have been many (many) players that I greatly dislike, (and plenty I do) and yet they energize the situation with action, either emboldening their allies or their opposition. Dynamic players, either loved or hated, bring a polarizing (c wut I did there Grub) element that is needed. 

All others are just the splatter on the wheels that crushes them.

Edited by Kzoppistan

While on this subject, turning yourself into a personality is not an overnight thing, I have alot of people query me and basically say "well how did you get so famous, i want to as well!" and there isnt like, a guide on how to do it, you have to either be an incredibly abrasive poster for years, (The Rotavele method), A political speakerbox(Rey is the most supportive person of whatever his alliance stands for, always, even if it goes against what he said previously in a different alliance), Or have create a brand name(yours truly.)