When to stop selling tech

Sw1ftWolf

• 2 weeks later...

Between 3999.99 infra and 4999.99 infra, and have a warchest of about 250 million or higher and a few econ wonders (Social Security System, Stock Market, and Great Temple make sense).  Why this number?

1. You should buy up to at least 500 tech when you do this (it costs about 25m) because at the 6m/100 tech dealing rate, that's when it becomes more economical to purchase tech via dealing than to purchase it directly.

2. Since you have the tech and the wonders, it's also a good time to go nuclear.  That's $100m and a stock of 20 nukes is about $20m more paid out over 20 days.  The nukes themselves, at full stock, will run you about $300,000 in additional daily bills once you've got 20 of them, hence why it's important to have econ wonders ahead of time to compensate for the considerable impact that will have.

All in all, it's gonna set you back about $150m to do it this way, but in the long term it'll pay off.  Keeping the $100m (or more) around after those initial expenses ensures you'll still be able to fight if you have to while giving you some cash to start actually tech purchasing as well.  Transitioning to tech buying without an MP doesn't really have that many benefits and buying an MP while still selling tech simply means you'll have to buy up to 300 tech and then sell it all again, resulting in a net loss for those tech deals (and you'll still have to buy up on tech anyway when you do transition to tech purchasing, further compounding the money-wasting).

• 2 weeks later...

Implicit (I think) in what Nick GhostWolf said, you should wait until you have enough money on hand to do all of this without disrupting your purchase of wonders every thirty days. Also, I think it's best to purchase the Federal Reserve as early as you can, as the second or third wonder. It's expensive but very much worth it, and since its cost is based partly upon nation strength, buying it before undertaking your mega tech buy will save you a significant amount of money.

Never stop, your nation is more valuable to your AA as a permanent seller / farm than as a middle tier fighter. Moreover the lower tier is more enjoyable than the middle tier grind.

Never stop, your nation is more valuable to your AA as a permanent seller / farm than as a middle tier fighter. Moreover the lower tier is more enjoyable than the middle tier grind.

This is the route that I tend to take. I just pump tech into those who need it and keep a militarily heavy nation in the lower tiers.

I agree with the above, don't stop selling tech. You are much more valuable as a tech farm than a lower middle tier nation who will just get wrecked in war anyways when the larger nations lose their infra and hit you. 

Why is that? Why do you hate that?

Because:

1. It is inconvenient to find reliable tech sellers and a total waste of time.

2. You can get donations for simply selling tech and money.

3. Fun to blow up nations in the low tier.

4. A reliable seller/farmer is highly valuable to any alliance.

Generally a good advise RE: not stopping selling for non-neutral nations, though if you are a neutral it is a questionable one; thanks to the perma-peace they do have the ability to grow an upper tier nation that can easily hold its own against far older foes (and is far more useful to their alliance than another tech seller)

Because:

1. It is inconvenient to find reliable tech sellers and a total waste of time.

2. You can get donations for simply selling tech and money.

3. Fun to blow up nations in the low tier.

4. A reliable seller/farmer is highly valuable to any alliance.

However, you used to be a tech buyer. E.g. you couldn't have got the Scientific Development Center unless you had 3,000 tech at some point.

However, you used to be a tech buyer. E.g. you couldn't have got the Scientific Development Center unless you had 3,000 tech at some point.

Yup, I used to be one because I decided that it's just not worth wasting my time finding tech sellers who are just likely to be late on their tech payments or never fulfill their part of their deals. 

Strangely, it never happened to me to encounter a default of a seller, or even a tech delay of more than 2 days (and I think I had just one case of a 2 days delay), from any of my sellers, despite the fact that I've made all my deals at 6/200 or 9/200. I guess it takes some investment of time and communication to get to know your possible partners before dealing with them... Or maybe I'm just lucky.  ;)