Where do we go from here?

Bed Intruder

A bit late to say this but

Feel free to enlighten us then and show us just one [OOC] other game [/OOC] where a [OOC] mechanic [/OOC] that was in place for years and years all of a sudden gets changed / tweaked / rebalanced.  

D&D, Advanced Squad leader, Warcraft, Rise & Decline of the Third Reich, Traveller, just in my own experience for starters, technically all the Total War series that produced sequels.  I'm sure I could come up with more if I cared to do so. Then of course this very game has been tweaked multiple times in the past, post notably when tech was made less of a multiplier for NS.

But thanks for your concern.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I got from this is that the donation bonus has exceedingly thrown out of wack the game mechanics of the game we call Cybernations.

To the point where you have nations whom have grown so large they can no longer entertain themselves with a massive nation advantage, and nations so small either realizing the futility of attempting to compete or offering suggestions of personal martyrdom of ~2-3 years of effort in exchange for what an uber-tier nation would make back in less than a couple collection days.

At the end of the day -- I'm a firm believer that CN's popularity and success is a result of the content and relationships it has generated. An overwhelming, astronomical amount of this has been due to the fairness factor -- forcing individuals to either work together to solve problems, make new ones, and allowing even the most base of individual to effect their surroundings through either the employment of manpower or individual strength. Given that manpower has been significantly weakened due to simply unpredictable end-game mechanics, and individual power also crushed and left to an extreme subset of individuals -- it's only natural to recognize that there has been an ongoing decline of content and relationships being generated. Does it still happen? Yes, but far less intense in content and effort.

There are really about four options. 

A. Do nothing

B.  Introduce inflationary practices to diminish the simply unobtainable levels of cash, tech, infra, and land currently hoarded. Retroactively implement hard caps to money that can be held on hand. Introduce repair penalties to infrastructure levels over X amount. Introduce Tech Degradation over time.

C. Introduce more wonders -- but introduce nation time clock requirements -- ex: no nation over 6 months or  1 year can purchase, etc. Allows for some measure (though incomplete and unanswerable to the relatively low inflation we have,) to give new nations a shot. Recognize that fairness plays a good deal in the willingness to play Cybernations, and that I would argue a good majority recognize (though not necessarily agree on how to fix/whether to fix,) there is a nearly insurmountable hurdle for a nation new today unless given extreme/extraordinary benefits (or otherworldly donations in combination with free cash,) are unlikely to even sniff a moderate level of significance in parity. 

D. Reset the game and revert back to 3m 50 tech aid limit. This could spark interest and cause a great boom, but admittedly drive others who donated time/money to their nations to become even more apathetic than they are now to disappear. I'm willing to bet newcomers will vastly outpace those who drop off and fill up the coffers faster -- and I think the people who say they'd leave grossly overstate so to discourage such talk. Eliminate the MP wonder for a year. It had a good run and the mechanics worked fabulously. I guarentee if this was rebranded by admin and re-launched it would have great success, but again admit it might prove so successful as to truly signal the death knell of this world.

All that is required is to allow more war slots per nation and allow multiple nuke hits per day. Extremely large nations leverage the limits of how many opponents they can possibly face. Increase the cap on how many wars and who can launch those wars and suddenly the balance would shift quite a bit. A global war or two would take everyone back to the stone age. 

All that is required is to allow more war slots per nation and allow multiple nuke hits per day. Extremely large nations leverage the limits of how many opponents they can possibly face. Increase the cap on how many wars and who can launch those wars and suddenly the balance would shift quite a bit. A global war or two would take everyone back to the stone age. 

Either way, if nothing else is done it's important to realize that k while no one situation will ever be ideal, the status quo has passed the point of it not making sense to start considering alternatives.

D&D, Advanced Squad leader, Warcraft, Rise & Decline of the Third Reich, Traveller, just in my own experience for starters, technically all the Total War series that produced sequels.  I'm sure I could come up with more if I cared to do so. Then of course this very game has been tweaked multiple times in the past, post notably when tech was made less of a multiplier for NS.

But thanks for your concern.

You should go in to detail and explain the supposed / exact mechanics changes to em now; one of the series/games you mentioned gets patched very often, but the mechanics don't change. 

Nice you remembered that quote from me; just proves more and more that you guys lied about AI 

Edited by King Cyan

A bit late to say this but

Feel free to enlighten us then and show us just one [OOC] other game [/OOC] where a [OOC] mechanic [/OOC] that was in place for years and years all of a sudden gets changed / tweaked / rebalanced.  

I've got a perfect example.. it's an old MMO called star wars galaxies: an empire divided.

The game ran its course from 2003 to 2005, when in one fell swoop in 2005 Sony Online Entertainment changed the fundamental mechanics of the game that had been in place for 2 years at this point.  What resulted was a massive class action lawsuit and 95% decline in subscriptions all because of the implemented changes.

I used to have a lot of fun amassing ungodly amounts of strength through learning ways to take advantage of strategy/simulation games by studying Ai and adapting, making simple maneuvers that someone who had played for as long as I had could easily thwart but a computer or someone new could not. Same pattern, rinse, repeat. I found over time that repeating the same thing over and over again wasn't as fun and I either stopped playing or looked for ways to even the playing field to make it more of a challenge. The most fun I have is when the outcome isn't predetermined and there's a very real chance I can win, lose, or draw.

Edited by IYIyTh

I've got a perfect example.. it's an old MMO called star wars galaxies: an empire divided.

The game ran its course from 2003 to 2005, when in one fell swoop in 2005 Sony Online Entertainment changed the fundamental mechanics of the game that had been in place for 2 years at this point.  What resulted was a massive class action lawsuit and 95% decline in subscriptions all because of the implemented changes.

I want to file a class action lawsuit against you!  I started taking fish oil pills for a few days last year when we chatted and I didn't get super ripped by day 3.

I want to file a class action lawsuit against you!  I started taking fish oil pills for a few days last year when we chatted and I didn't get super ripped by day 3.

What about the Raspberry Ketone? Dr Oz said it would work!

You have to take the fish oil rectally to receive the most benefits

• 2 weeks later...

I was considering posting a thread letting everyone know I'm leaving or just letting my nation fade, as those kinds of threads aren't my style. Since I tend to check in less and less these days. Been around 2 weeks since the last time I checked in with my nation and as I was already thinking of quitting, when I checked my nation just now I realized I forgot to rebuy labor camps after the last time I collected. So now my nation owes $192,000,000 million in bills for just 12 days of bills, which just kind of confirms what I've been thinking about it being time to move on.

Thank you to all the players who made this place worth sticking around in, to all the mods who finally gave GOONS the cold shoulder when they were trying to get me banned repeatedly (As far as I know I'm the only CN player to ever get banned from the forum while my nation was kept in tact) and to admin for making a very interesting game which has kept my interest for as long as it has.

I feel I've played this game from pretty much all vantage points worth playing by now. I've been an alliance leader in a powerful bloc as the treaty web got flipped on its head, I've been either labeled a rogue or micro alliance as I've fought extended uphill battles and even gave tech raiding a try for a little bit after joining Doombirds for the first time. Although this the kind of game where the enjoyment you get out of it depends on the effort you put in and there isn't really anything left I'd like to attempt or experience.

This post isn't to say I'm definitely leaving, just don't be surprised if I do join the ranks of old players who disappear from this plane of existence. 

Peace out everyone, its been a fun ride and I hope all of you continue to enjoy it.

• 2 months later...

BYE!

I didn't want to leave without a proper good bye. If you guys don't EZI me, I'm not sure if I can avoid checking my nation long enough for it to disappear.

Accidentally logged in at 18 days of inactivity, saw I had over half a billion dollars and had already reset the inactivity timer. Figured something fun would happen eventually if I kept my nation around and sure enough it did.

Edited by Methrage