Triyun

Your Imperial Majesties of Russia and Cochin:

While the nations of Europe bash themselves against each other fighting for every inch of land, our borders have largely been settled.  It is my belief that the war between the Pure  Lands and Russia shall eventually end in the defeat of the Pure Lands.  The World is a rough place, but Asia with its trinity of stable and legitimate Empires offers a sharp contrast.  

While Tianxia and her Commonwealth's alliances and friendships with both states are secure, it is my desire to see a perpetual peace built in Asia and as such I would like to see a triple agreement adjusting any residual border disputes and creating an iron treaty of non-aggression and defense.  

I therefore propose a Triple Emperor's League between the Empire of Russia, Kingdom of Cochin, and the Tianxia Commonwealth.

Regards,

Yuan Jia I, Emperor of Tianxia, Nippon, Meihua, Bahrain, and the Holy American Imperium

Edited by Triyun

The Empire would propose a triple treaty signed between the Emperor, and the Russian Czars and King of Cochin.  Our proposal would include a supreme defense and non-aggression pact, the dealing of any residual land questions in Asia, and the creation of greater defense and technological cooperation.  We would also like to see the harmonizing of our foreign policy objectives, specifically the large progress made by the Empire in restricting new nuclear powers via the UN Security Council Resolution from arising and encouraging existing ones to work together to disarm.  We believe the end of the nuclear age could soon truly be in our grasp.  We'd also seek support on our mission keeping other non-Indo-Pacific nations from deploying strategic assets into the Ocean.  This giving all our nations a greater pooling of collective SDI protection.

The Empire would propose a triple treaty signed between the Emperor, and the Russian Czars and King of Cochin.  Our proposal would include a supreme defense and non-aggression pact, the dealing of any residual land questions in Asia, and the creation of greater defense and technological cooperation.  We would also like to see the harmonizing of our foreign policy objectives, specifically the large progress made by the Empire in restricting new nuclear powers via the UN Security Council Resolution from arising and encouraging existing ones to work together to disarm.  We believe the end of the nuclear age could soon truly be in our grasp.  We'd also seek support on our mission keeping other non-Indo-Pacific nations from deploying strategic assets into the Ocean.  This giving all our nations a greater pooling of collective SDI protection.

While we do agree with the supreme defense and non aggression pact and resolving of remaining land questions in Asia and the defense and technological cooperation we find askance at the restrictions on nuclear powers. Until a time as complete nuclear disarmament is an achievable prospect the Kingdom would choose to maintain its stockpiles. Though we have not conducted any tests since our refounding we have rebuilt our nuclear arsenal as one of the prime mandates of ensuring national defense. We are fully in favor of an integrated Strategic Defense network across Asia to provide Mutual defense and interdiction capabilities however regarding the nuclear weapons in our arsenal however we would defer for now.

OOC: Actually no, I did not know that. So are there any nuclear powers at all out there? If no, say that IC and I would ICly concur with no nukes.

OOC:  There is a binding agreement for no new nukes.  A ban on first use nukes by existing powers.  A immediate  ban on tactical nukes.  And a reduction plan for all nukes long term the last of which admittedly hasn't progressed very far due to other geopolitical events namely the Wars in South America and then Europe and the Caucuses as well as IRL commitments.  Hopefully that will be resolved soon.  Obviously IC it takes a while and costs a lot of money IC to disarm nukes. So even if someone has nukes and you don't, if you get into a fight they become an instant pariah and would elicit a global response using the nukes on you. http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?/topic/119042-un-security-council-discussion/page-6#entry3187701

Edited by Triyun

In compliance with the  Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty and Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty the Kingdom of Cochin shall hitherto cease its Nuclear weapons program and shall dismantle its existing arsenal. However we shall maintain our weapons production facilities as an insurance that in the worst case scenario of the Kingdom being attacked by nuclear weapons we shall be able to start rebuild our stockpile for retaliation. The Kingdom shall not deny itself the ability to produce nuclear weapons. It shall maintain its nuclear state permanently as six months away from being a full nuclear power.

Since the Kingdom of Cochin though has been refounded was originally a nuclear powered state we hope this self imposed restriction would be sufficient for our compliance?

A situation comparable to the Japanese situation at the beginning of he 21s century with the ability to cold start a nuclear capability within a six month to year capacity given the Kingdom of Cochin's previous experience as a nuclear actor who faced a significant international event without resorting to nuclear weapons would in the Empire of Tianxia's judgement be acceptable though something that shouldn't be overly advertised lest actors without such historical background attempt and gain the same capability.    Is this basically what you're thinking?

The public policy of the Kingdom shall be complete nuclear disarmament. The codicil about our cold start capability shall remain a secret confined only to the top echelons of our Government and Defense Forces. We shall fully cooperate in the effort towards complete nuclear disarmament. 

With that agreed upon should we discuss the matters of pending territorial reorganization now or would Tianxia prefer that to be discussed at a later stage?

Yes we're open to discussing it now.  Its our judgement that there are areas where the Empire has no interest in it currently owns or has influence over, where Russia or Cochin do.  We're therefore open to redrawing some of the borders, particularly within the subcontinent and in the Caucuses.

Yes we're open to discussing it now.  Its our judgement that there are areas where the Empire has no interest in it currently owns or has influence over, where Russia or Cochin do.  We're therefore open to redrawing some of the borders, particularly within the subcontinent and in the Caucuses.

"Thank you, Emperor Jia. The Kingdom's primary interests lies in reclaiming some of our historical island territories. These includes the Lakshadweep, Andaman and Nicobar Islands, Ceylon and the Maldives. Due to the shared history and common cultures between us as also due to geographic and strategic constraints we would seek to negotiate regarding these islands. 

We also hope to reclaim the Burang and Zanda counties in the Ngari Prefecture of Tibet and the states of Nepal, Sikkim and Bhutan. Our interest in these lands lies primarily because of their religious importance in that the Mt Kailas and the twin lakes Manasarovar and Rakshasasarovar exist in this region.

We also propose that the Trans Himalayan Railroads that we had built and maintained prior to the fall of the previous Kingdom be reopened to usher in a new era of Pan Asian trade and communication. 

We are also looking forward to reopening our former Antarctic research station at Station Gangotri. The territory currently seems to be under Tianxian jurisdiction. The research station housed some of our most prized research centers and we hope that we be allowed to reclaim and activate the region.

The Empire has created significant investment in some of the lands you speak of.  On the issue of the rail line we are open to that and can agree to its expansion in fact.  On the issue of the Himilayan Territory, that territory does have significant history with the Empire as well.  What I would propose is if it is religiously important a sort of open pathway for religious visitors.  As the Dalai Lama and the Tianxian State are separate and adhere to the principal of non-interference of non-violent religion in state affairs save for some ceremony and vice versa, we would propose an agreement to open up those territories to the Kingdom of Cochin's more religious citizens for free access.  

To the Islands, again there are issues of Tianxia's own investment and strategic considerations.  One of the most notable and difficult to reconcile is the large presence especially in the Maldivies of both the Tianxia Navy and Space Elevator which I think has changed the cultural dynamics there.  What I think can be offered there is Lakhshadweep.  Additionally what we would propose is some greater rights to fishing and shipping in the other islands as well as something that Cochin has not had before.  All of historical Pakistan.

The Empire has created significant investment in some of the lands you speak of.  On the issue of the rail line we are open to that and can agree to its expansion in fact.  On the issue of the Himilayan Territory, that territory does have significant history with the Empire as well.  What I would propose is if it is religiously important a sort of open pathway for religious visitors.  As the Dalai Lama and the Tianxian State are separate and adhere to the principal of non-interference of non-violent religion in state affairs save for some ceremony and vice versa, we would propose an agreement to open up those territories to the Kingdom of Cochin's more religious citizens for free access.  

To the Islands, again there are issues of Tianxia's own investment and strategic considerations.  One of the most notable and difficult to reconcile is the large presence especially in the Maldivies of both the Tianxia Navy and Space Elevator which I think has changed the cultural dynamics there.  What I think can be offered there is Lakhshadweep.  Additionally what we would propose is some greater rights to fishing and shipping in the other islands as well as something that Cochin has not had before.  All of historical Pakistan.

While we agree to the proposal regarding the Tibetan region we would like to explain further our request for Maldives, especially Foamullah Island. The Equatorial Launch Loop that we had built was based there and Foamullah Island was a principal Space Launch Center of the Kingdom. The ELL especially had been one of the most significant investments the Kingdom had done in the region and it is disappointing that we would not be permitted to rejuvenate it. Would Tianxia recommend and offer any comparable equatorial region where we can build our launch loop which is vital in our nation's space ambitions?

We are grateful that you can offer us Lakshadweep but we would reiterate our request for Ceylon at the least and Andaman and Nicobar Islands. As regards historical Pakistan, thanks to Tianxia we have already integrated into our territory the core South Asian regions of Pakistan, namely the Sindh and Punjab provinces. While we would not refuse the ceding of the rest of Pakistan to the Kingdom it would not compare with the strategic and national importance that reuniting the vital islandic territories would be for our national future.

Even the claim for the Andaman and Nicobar archipelago could be cancelled if the other major islandic claims could be granted.

Unfortunately the problem is that the Islands in the Indian Ocean now play an equally vital role in the Imperial architecture and are in both heavy use, and have become key provinces of the Empire as they were in the past by he Kingdom.  We understand at one time they had significant ties to the Kingdom of Cochin, but at the moment they've been part of the Empire under decades of democracy, freedom of migration, and economic integration and hat situation has changed.  The Indian Ocean and the commerce through it is now deeply engrained in the Empire.  Its not possible to make a 1 for 1 trade on Islands.  What we are willing to give is what is near the continent, but not things which have integrated into Imperial Territory if that makes sense.

As far as the launch loop request, I'm simply not sure how that can be accomodated, we're willing to let you use the space elevator, but its very hard for us to give up our primary space link, the elevator for the sake of a Cochin Launch loop.

I think a fundamental misunderstanding seems to stem here from a lack of understanding on Tianxia's position on the Indian Ocean.  The Indian Ocean is Tianxia's primary Ocean, through which much of our commerce flows.  We simply cannot make concessions on the Ocean without compromising our core interests.

Edited by Triyun

I think Tianxia has misunderstood our request. We assume that the Tianxian space elevator is a separate entity from our Launch Loop based on Foamullah Island. There is no reason why the Cochin Launch Loop should not operate alongside the Tianxian space elevator. We do not seek sovereign control over Maldives, just control over Foamullah Island so that we can operate our Launch loop. 

Since Tianxia is willing to cede to us territory that is nearer to the subcontinent I hope Tianxia would not object to Cochin taking over Ceylon? The historic relations and cultural links between Ceylon and subcontinent ought to strengthen our claim on the island. And while we understand the importance the Indian Ocean holds to Tianxia strategically and economically we hope you would understand the similar historical claims we have to the Ocean. It is not in Cochin interests to compromise on your security or economy, we dont intend to compete with you in the Indian Ocean but to partner with you. Surely the presence of Cochin power would only boost the Tianxian strategic security?

No but as the main Island within the Indian Ocean the ceding of Ceylon is complicated as is its own ties to the Empire, which many ports, refining facilities, large amounts of Imperial citizens, etc living there.

In regards to the pace launch loop, we're ok with one island but I think you misunderstand the concern.  The concern is that the launch loops 2000 kilometers long and our space elevator is right next door in the path of a future construction zone.  Haha.

The launch loop that we had built only had its Eastern end at Foamullah Island, the western end is an artificial island we had constructed west of Foamullah island in the ocean.

As regards Ceylon, we hope you can reconsider your stand. Reuniting it with Kingdom would be a great boost to our territorial integrity as well as reuniting of two regions with thousands of years of shared culture and traditions. 

On further reflection we  have decided not to press for the Foamullah Island. We would be happy to reunite historical Pakistan in Cochin. In that case the only contentious issue remains Ceylon. Would Tianxia be willing to reconsider regarding Ceylon?

"While I'm sympathetic with your feelings, there's also the issue that that I am the head of a constitutional monarchy and have a parliament including those elected in Sri Lanka, and they have a greater say in what happens, it has MPs serving in our parliament elected by the people not myself.  Beyond that it could provoke a lot of discontent from Parliamentarians in Thailand, Burma, and other Theravada constituency."  the Emperor said adding in a joke, "And as such giving away large amounts of territory without parliament like that to me sits wrong not to mention could provoke a constitutional crisis, possibly preventing the passage of a treaty agreement.  We'd have to pass a bill purely on Chinese parliamentarians almost, and that would be very hard to do. By contrast Pakistan was an autonomous region without voting members in the Parliament.  You understand how this makes things very difficult?

However, what I can off is the arrangement for greater access too the island both in terms of personal ravel as well as economic and political activities.  I'm prepared to be open in whatever way the Kingdom feels necessary to preserve cultural ties."

Edited by Triyun

"That certainly is disappointing but perhaps if you conducted a referendum in Ceylon perhaps they may choose to join back into the Kingdom. We understand and respect your constitutional and parliamentary proceedings but we hope that a chance may be taken in this aspect. Perhaps the citizens of Ceylon may wish to be part of the Kingdom if such a question is asked of them. If they willingly choose to be part of the Kingdom would you deny them?

We are most certainly disappointed at the way the territorial negotiations have panned out. We hoped Tianxia would be as sympathetic and understanding of our strategic and cultural sensitivities as we have tried to be towards Tianxia. Alas, it turned out different. The Kingdom would not demean itself by stooping to beg Tianxia for territory that it has legitimate claims on so we believe that ought to be the end of these discussions. We do not want territories that are thrown at us as scraps. You may keep the Lakshadweep as well as the Balochistani territories of erstwhile Pakistan."

Hold on a minute there.  There is no need to lose your temper over this.  There is no constitutional prohibition on choosing independence or union with another state.  Indeed that's the case that what recently happened into Japan.  I'm saying as the Emperor of Tianxia I have not the authority to do that.  You don't speak for the citizens of Sri Lanka though and no referendum has been held.  There have been many states that existed aside from the Kingdom in Sri Lanka predating it, then there was the nation which the Kingdom of Cochin gave independence to in Sri Lanka, and after that was another before it chose to join he Empire.  Getting mad at us isn't appropriate, I think we've been very generous and afterall we were the ones who brought up offering to give away some of our territories.  Its rather rude to then go after us like this when we disagree on one part.  That's simply an uncalled for act that one can hardly characterize as friendship.

Edited by Triyun

We hardly spoke any words of anger. We were just expressing our understanding of the situation we have with Tianxia. We never claimed to speak for the people of Sri Lanka nor did we speak of any referendums being held, we were expressing our hopes that a referendum may be held, a hope that we now dash. Please understand there is no anger towards Tianxia, just a resigned understanding of the situation. While we appreciate your generosity in light of the way these talks panned out it would not make sense for our nation to seek any territorial concessions from Tianxia. It saddens us to see that you consider our actions as unfriendly for we mean no such thing. We hoped through these negotiations for a means for improving our strategic security as well as sub continental cultural integrity. You dismissed our requests by stating your very valid arguments and we respect that. We hold no ill will towards Tianxia just renewed understanding of the ground realities. 

OOC:  I do sometimes think American and Indian English doesn't always translate well in tones.  :P

IC:

Alright, perhaps a mistranslation between dialects.   Please understand that we're open to accommodating requests on other areas, we do hope you're open to discussion along greater transit rights and these can in part allay some of your concerns.

At the moment the Kingdom does not have any request. We do not seek any territory from Tianxia. We shall continue to be friends in the hope it shall one day become a greater partnership.

OOC: No harm done, such are the nuances of diplomatic language after all ;)