Is it ok to start buying tech (via tech deals) before I reach 3,999.99 infrastructure?

Thomas18

Depends on a few things. If you're in a safe Alliance, buying at 3.9k infra is okay (4.9 is better; you can make more money from tech trading, due to fewer sellers these days). Any alliance should be able to help provide answers with these kinds of problems. I know mine does.

Unless you join an Alliance I wouldn't buy any at all, since you will inevitably be raided for it.

Buying before 3.9 isn't bad, it's just sub-optimal.

You shouldn't. This is a good level to get your war chest and wonder set sorted out before boosting your NS into a range with real bad asses that will wipe the floor with you.

If you're dead set on it though, you'll want to be making enough that sending out 30 mil a month won't bankrupt you. I personally wouldn't advise it until you're clearing 4.5mil profit after bills every day, that gives you 30mil to ship out, 30 mil to put in your war chest, 30 mil towards a wonder every 20 day cycle. If you're buying tech and starting to buy wonders at the same time, you're going to end up missing some days on your wonder cycle and that's a bigger pita than missing tech cycles with the new aid caps.

You shouldn't. This is a good level to get your war chest and wonder set sorted out before boosting your NS into a range with real bad asses that will wipe the floor with you.

If you're dead set on it though, you'll want to be making enough that sending out 30 mil a month won't bankrupt you. I personally wouldn't advise it until you're clearing 4.5mil profit after bills every day, that gives you 30mil to ship out, 30 mil to put in your war chest, 30 mil towards a wonder every 20 day cycle. If you're buying tech and starting to buy wonders at the same time, you're going to end up missing some days on your wonder cycle and that's a bigger pita than missing tech cycles with the new aid caps.

But doesn't tech decrease the upkeep cost of infastructure? Wouldn't that be a good thing because I'll be saving more money?

I'm currently making around 2.7 million profit after paying bills (around 1.1 million) a day. My tax rate is set at 28% when I collect taxes.

I am at 5629 infra and still selling tech. Just started buying wonders so guess I will remain as a tech seller for another 6 wonders. Unless I go after the military wonders too. Then it can fast be a year before I quit tech sales.

I would recommend remaining a seller until at least 4999.99 infra and the point where you can purchase between 1000 and 2000 tech. Then, become a buyer. 3999.99 used to be a good level, but with the new aid limits you need a higher income before you can afford to start buying, as well as the fact that being a seller is now profitable for longer.

No one seems to want to do math here. This decision is easy.

6M/100 tech nets a tech seller 4.25M for every tech deal (that tech is about 1.75M so you profit 4.25M). This is $1,000,000 a day in profit (5 aid slots, 5*4.25/20)

If you are buying tech, you are sending an average of $1,500,000/day.

What this means is that when you transition from selling to buying tech, your daily cash flow drops $2,500,000 - the lost income from selling and extra expenses from buying - this is large portion of most nations income at 3999 infra.

So, if you are at 3999 infra and netting 2.7M a day after bills ignoring tech deals you:

• Net 3.7M when selling tech
  • Net 1.2M when buying*

Assuming you are buying wonders, those both go down by another 1M a day (the early wonders are all about 1M per day cost).

So in your case, if you start buying tech, your nation growth is basically going to stop while you slowly get wonders (which add more income)- or you won't use all your aid slots and be inefficient at it.

**note you get back up to 10% your infra bills by having enough tech and there's a 2 happiness increase from 100-200 tech, this is only $200k or so  at 3999 infra and no where near the difference

Also, fixing your trade circle is probably more important than this entire discussion.