#1 bros2

bros2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,711 posts
  • Nation Name:LUEshida

Posted 30 August 2013 - 04:52 PM

The problem is rather... evident. I've talked to many people who have had their nations delete to inactivity and the answer is rather similar, "I was busy/couldn't check my nation/my ____ died/was deployed/got a new job and was being trained/ate glue."

What is the solution to people being angry and not coming back after their nations being deleted after 25 days?

Add a vacation mode.

This could be implemented in a variety of ways, but I will outline the three best possible methods of implementation for such a mode, followed by a possible addition to it.

For the sake of simplicity, Vacation Mode is defined as a nation being put in a state of stasis, in which one must collect taxes & pay bills before entering and while they are in vacation mode, their nation will not get taxes or bills to collect or pay, respectively. It will last a period of time set by the user, with a maximum of 90 days at a time, that can be extended upon hitting the 90 day mark. When nations are in vacation mode, no action will be able to be taken against them by another nation. If you view the nation page, it will display a message like This nation has gone into a period of prolonged seclusion, they should return then their seclusion on DATE. Until then, nothing can be done to this nation.

During the vacation mode, users CAN be sent messages and they will be stored until seven days after they return (Or whatever the standard deletion of message time limit is)

Option 1: User checks a box, they are put in vacation mode for a hardcoded period of time that is set when the feature is coded in (Probably 25).

Option 2: User checks a box on their nation page indicating that they want to enter vacation mode, then selects how long they want their nation to be in vacation mode for, most likely going in 5 day increments up to 15, then 15 day increments after that, up to 90 days of vacation mode.

Option 3: Same as Option 2, except they set it to enact vacation mode on x days of inactivity. Example: Admin goes to his Edit Nation page, sets up vacation mode for his nation, sets the options, but he isn't sure when he will be busy exactly, so he sets his nation to go into vacation mode to go into vacation mode for 15 days if he reaches 25 days of inactivity. If he hits 25 days of inactivity, the vacation mode script will automatically collect taxes 1-2 hours after the update the day of their 25th day of inactivity (to reduce sever stress, particularly during wartime), along with paying bills, then it will put the user into vacation mode. If admin logs in before the script runs and collects taxes, his vacation mode settings will turn off. You will not be able to continue using your nation and just have a standing vacation mode order, unless you set it every time after collecting taxes/paying bills. This would be the most difficult to implement.

A variation on the latter two options: Sometimes, users cannot log into their nations due to a sudden emergency arising, be it natural disaster, medical emergency, or a family emergency. A user could post in a topic set up by the mods on behalf of another user asking for them to be put into vacation mode. If proof is provided, they will be put in vacation mode for the requested number of days. If no proof/insufficient proof is provided, the user will be put into vacation mode in five day increments until they return (to reduce the chance of inflicting vacation mode on enemies during a war, or just on someone you don't like, which would be severely punished). A user could also request the vacation mode themselves, and state something like "I will be gone from 9/1/13 to 1/4/14, due to REASON (Or can I PM you my reason, as it is sensitive), which is/will last 125 days. I have put my nation into a 90 day vacation mode, so I am requesting that on or about 11/30/13, my nation have its vacation mode extended by an additional 30 days, as I will return five days after that."

Edited by bros2, 30 August 2013 - 04:54 PM.

#2 Robster83

Robster83

Proud Hedonist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 697 posts
  • Nation Name:The Mistfits
  • Alliance Name:United Purple Nations

Posted 30 August 2013 - 05:10 PM

How would you stop people from abusing this feature in times of war and such? 

Don't really see why it's necessary, as you can already get a nation sitter in the case of a holiday etc... and over 3 weeks is plenty of time to login and collect taxes/pay bills.

#3 bros2

bros2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,711 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 05:19 PM

How would you stop people from abusing this feature in times of war and such? 

Don't really see why it's necessary, as you can already get a nation sitter in the case of a holiday etc... and over 3 weeks is plenty of time to login and collect taxes/pay bills.

If someone wants to sit out of a war, they usually go to peace mode. This would put their nation in stasis, they would have to predict how long the war would last reliably. This would be more for people gone for extended periods for one reason or another.

#4 Robster83

Robster83

Proud Hedonist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 697 posts
  • Nation Name:The Mistfits
  • Alliance Name:United Purple Nations

Posted 30 August 2013 - 05:30 PM

If someone wants to sit out of a war, they usually go to peace mode. This would put their nation in stasis, they would have to predict how long the war would last reliably. This would be more for people gone for extended periods for one reason or another.

I mean would you be allowed to go to vacation mode whilst in a war?

#5 bros2

bros2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,711 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 05:36 PM

I mean would you be allowed to go to vacation mode whilst in a war?

No. Only if there were no active war/aid transactions.

#6 Indian Bob

Indian Bob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Nation Name:Indinoplace
  • Alliance Name:Anarchy Inc

Posted 04 September 2013 - 04:17 PM

Seems to be a complicated solution to a simple answer.  Do away with permanent deletions altogether.  That'll handle vacation mode and nation sitting requests.  Have nations that go past 25 days placed in a "graveyard" database and require an authentication email to re-activate.

#7 Blacknite3d

Blacknite3d

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Nation Name:Washington
  • Alliance Name:Green Protection Agency

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:40 AM

Seems to be a complicated solution to a simple answer.  Do away with permanent deletions altogether.  That'll handle vacation mode and nation sitting requests.  Have nations that go past 25 days placed in a "graveyard" database and require an authentication email to re-activate.

I like this idea, as a member of the military, I am expected to be gone for more than 6 months, it will be useless for me to continue playing when my account is going to be deleted once I deploy and I will deploy it is just a matter of time.

#8 Romanus

Romanus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Nation Name:Quelthalas

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:05 AM

I like the idea of some way to retain your nation when you are unable to access it for a period of time. Same as the above poster, I am soon to be deployed and will have zero possibility of internet access for several months, as I work from a submarine. If any nation I make will be deleted every year when I am deployed, I see no reason to continue spending my time here.

#9 CubaQuerida

CubaQuerida

Angel of Death

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts
  • Nation Name:ThePromisedLand
  • Alliance Name:DOOMBIRD DOOMCAVE
  • CN:TE Nation Name:Methax War Dodger
  • CN:TE Alliance Name:Misfits

Posted 21 September 2013 - 12:59 AM

Or you could make peace mode immune to deletion. You get hammered economically, but at least your nation will still be there in six months and there's already zero chance or war coming to or from your nation.

Edited by CubaQuerida, 21 September 2013 - 09:53 AM.

#10 CubaQuerida

CubaQuerida

Angel of Death

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts
  • Nation Name:ThePromisedLand
  • Alliance Name:DOOMBIRD DOOMCAVE
  • CN:TE Nation Name:Methax War Dodger
  • CN:TE Alliance Name:Misfits

Posted 21 September 2013 - 01:02 AM

Follow up thought. You could even make the dove sign change into a moon sign after 25 days to indicate the transformation into inactive mode

#11 Dragonshy

Dragonshy

Envoy of the dead Dragonshy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • Nation Name:Cloudshy
  • Alliance Name:GPA
  • CN:TE Nation Name:The Frying Dehlia
  • CN:TE Alliance Name:The Frying Dehlia

Posted 21 September 2013 - 08:40 PM

I second this. And it is already something that is being implemented in an older game of the same genre. I signed into my nation 10 years after I left, and it was the same as when I left it. Perhaps implement a minimum 3 month waiting period before you can unlock your nation as a penalty.

Edited by Dragonshy, 21 September 2013 - 08:45 PM.

#12 Caladin

Caladin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts
  • Nation Name:Kaitain
  • Alliance Name:New Pacific Order
  • CN:TE Nation Name:Caladin
  • CN:TE Alliance Name:Ordo Paradoxia

Posted 23 September 2013 - 12:47 AM

Personally, I also like Indian Bob's idea.

To flesh it out, I would suggest the following:
Once a nation goes past 25 days inactive, it is deactivated. This means that it

• No longer appears on any data screens
  • Its trades are deleted
  • Its pending FA transactions are canceled
  • Its wars are canceled

To reactivate, the Owner will just need to log in again.
When they do so, their nation will be in the following state:

• 0 days inactive. They will lose 20 days of potential collection.
  • Unpaid bills remain unpaid. However, the days when the nation was deactivated will not count towards them, to prevent bill lock from occurring in most cases.
  • Moon and Mars colony expiration dates will remain unchanged.
  • Dates that they are next allowed to change their government, religion, DEFCON, Threat Level and Resources remain unchanged.
  • On the 'None' AA.
  • Land growth will not occur while deactivated

Should they have been at war when their nation went inactive, the following will also happen:

• Their nuclear stockpile will be reset to zero.
  • Their navy will be reset to zero.
  • Their nation will lose 30% of their warchest, 25% of their infra, 25% of their purchased land and 15% of their tech.

I feel that the penalties for deleting while at war are severe enough that it won't be used as an escape tactic and thus that will not become an issue.

Edited by Caladin, 23 September 2013 - 12:48 AM.

#13 Blacknite3d

Blacknite3d

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Nation Name:Washington
  • Alliance Name:Green Protection Agency

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:02 AM

That seems a bit of a harsh penalty for something some people have no control over.  It is probably better to have the account deactivated in which everything (bills, income, growth, and etc...) just comes to a pause.  There is no need for a penalty.

#14 Indian Bob

Indian Bob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 05:57 PM

I think the idea's presented by Caladin would work great.

I don't know about the penalties for going inactive while at war are needed but perhaps just  reset on nukes and navy (they were stolen/broken while the nation's defenses were unmanned) wouldn't be  a bad idea.  That way rogues that were at day 20 on a back collect can't just decide to ride out their last stagger and then come out with fresh declares...

That being said, in order to limit programming required, just tweak the "grace period" you get at the start of your nation to reflect an inability to declare wars for say 10 days, but you'd be open to being declared upon unless you hit peace mode...

#15 Caladin

Caladin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts
  • Nation Name:Kaitain
  • Alliance Name:New Pacific Order
  • CN:TE Nation Name:Caladin
  • CN:TE Alliance Name:Ordo Paradoxia

Posted 23 September 2013 - 07:55 PM

The penalties are harsh, but I feel needed, so as to prevent nations using it to attempt to escape staggers and thus damage during alliance wars. 

#16 Dragonshy

Dragonshy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 09:06 PM

While I understand the concerns about the war penalties, the simple solution to avoid that is to just go into peace mode if you're going away for over 25 days. Upon reactivation, the nation is at 0 days inactive anyways, so that wouldn't affect collection. That would fit into blacknite3d and romanus's situations.

Edited by Dragonshy, 23 September 2013 - 09:08 PM.

#17 enderland

enderland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,108 posts
  • Nation Name:Fields of Elysium
  • Alliance Name:The Grämlins

Posted 28 September 2013 - 01:25 PM

Personally, I also like Indian Bob's idea.

To flesh it out, I would suggest the following:
Once a nation goes past 25 days inactive, it is deactivated. This means that it

• No longer appears on any data screens
  • Its trades are deleted
  • Its pending FA transactions are canceled
  • Its wars are canceled

To reactivate, the Owner will just need to log in again.
When they do so, their nation will be in the following state:

• 0 days inactive. They will lose 20 days of potential collection.
  • Unpaid bills remain unpaid. However, the days when the nation was deactivated will not count towards them, to prevent bill lock from occurring in most cases.
  • Moon and Mars colony expiration dates will remain unchanged.
  • Dates that they are next allowed to change their government, religion, DEFCON, Threat Level and Resources remain unchanged.
  • On the 'None' AA.
  • Land growth will not occur while deactivated

Should they have been at war when their nation went inactive, the following will also happen:

• Their nuclear stockpile will be reset to zero.
  • Their navy will be reset to zero.
  • Their nation will lose 30% of their warchest, 25% of their infra, 25% of their purchased land and 15% of their tech.

I feel that the penalties for deleting while at war are severe enough that it won't be used as an escape tactic and thus that will not become an issue.

This is a wonderful solution, honestly.

I'd reset all military except soldiers to 0 - navy/nuclear/AF/etc and also change things to be 25% of everything just for consistency sake. 

#18 enderland

enderland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,108 posts
  • Nation Name:Fields of Elysium
  • Alliance Name:The Grämlins

Posted 28 September 2013 - 01:28 PM

While I understand the concerns about the war penalties, the simple solution to avoid that is to just go into peace mode if you're going away for over 25 days. Upon reactivation, the nation is at 0 days inactive anyways, so that wouldn't affect collection. That would fit into blacknite3d and romanus's situations.

I have no problem with that steep a penalty. Currently if you go beyond 25 days inactive your nation is 100% gone. Period no questions forever. Regardless of whether you were at war or at peace.

#19 Indian Bob

Indian Bob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 05:01 PM

Also, it doesn't take into account those who can't reach peace mode because they're being effectively staggered.  Again, that individual might be a rogue or dodging a war but I'd rather see them come back to cause havok rather than be gone forever.

#20 Dragonshy

Dragonshy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 12:54 PM

Also, it doesn't take into account those who can't reach peace mode because they're being effectively staggered.  Again, that individual might be a rogue or dodging a war but I'd rather see them come back to cause havok rather than be gone forever.

I don't think a rogue would be too concerned with war penalties. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users