Public Acknowledgement: Credit Where Credit is Due

As almost all CN knows, Old Guard does not often post on this forum.  I would like to deviate from that to acknowledge publicly the contribution one individual has made to encourage the renaissance Old Guard now enjoys.

Early last month, Barney and Friends of The Coalition of Royal Allied Powers took a chance and posted on our forum to find out what strange old people these OGers are.   Until his posting, we had few if any visitors.

From his simple initiative, others followed, enabling Old Guard to connect with people we did not even know were out there.  Old Guard's present relationships in CN would not have happened had Barney and Friends not reached out to us.

Barney and Friends, the sole credit for Old Guard's re-emergence belongs to you. We are grateful you stopped by, and, if we gave medals, you would surely be the first non-OGer to get one.  Your action shows that simple acts of courage, civility, and courtesy have far-reaching consequences.  We in Old Guard believe that is the way to play the game and will so conduct ourselves.

Thanks, Barney and Friends.  And thanks, Coalition of Royal Allied Powers for taking a chance on Old Guard.  You lead by example.

Well done.

I mean, it's pretty cool to hear about people getting active and all, but this announcement is kind of pathetic.

I guess it's a class of its own, and we're all "classy" that way

I thought the the gesture was nice.

kudos

This is a nice announcement - and is reminiscent of an old history lesson in which Barney and Friends would be Commodore Perry, and Arminius would be the Emperor of Japan.

Courtesy of the US Navy Museum:

On July 8,1853 four black ships led by USS Powhatan and commanded by Commodore Matthew Perry, anchored at Edo (Tokyo) Bay. Never before had the Japanese seen ships steaming with smoke. They thought the ships were "giant dragons puffing smoke." They did not know that steamboats existed and were shocked by the number and size of the guns on board the ships.

At age 60, Matthew Perry had a long and distinguished naval career. He knew that the mission to Japan would be his most significant accomplishment. He brought a letter from the President of the United States, Millard Fillmore, to the Emperor of Japan. He waited with his armed ships and refused to see any of the lesser dignitaries sent by the Japanese, insisting on dealing only with the highest emissaries of the Emperor.

The Japanese government realized that their country was in no position to defend itself against a foreign power, and Japan could not retain its isolation policy without risking war. On March 31, 1854, after weeks of long and tiresome talks, Perry received what he had so dearly worked for--a treaty between the United States and Japan, and the opening of Japan to the world.

Yes, OG trembled with fear when I sailed into their forum because they knew that someday I would quintuple my nation strength and bite them on the ankle. :gun:

Either way!  You reintroduced OG to the world.  B&F, not for nothing, they did tremble.  I felt it.  :war: