Omniscient1

Just a nice guy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,865 posts
  • Nation Name:Silla
  • Alliance Name:No Affiliation

Posted 29 June 2013 - 11:22 AM

Thought this might be interesting to talk about. Sorry, if I offend any Texans (especially admin), but if they're not trying to kill foreign nationals without a lawyer or dismissing deaths of young women because they might have been prostitutes; they're failing to even vote on the right bill.

First of all, I'm not sure why you would allow a protest to take place during a vote. That just smacks of Ochlocracy. Secondly, why anyone would celebrate that I'm not sure. The president's staff apparently does not share my concerns.

So Texas, Why you so weird man?

New story: http://usnews.nbcnew...filibuster?lite

#2 Captain Marin

Captain Marin

Champion of the Exodus, Hated Hero and Forgotten Rebel of the Cy

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Nation Name:Exodus Republic
  • Alliance Name:Orange Defense Network

Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:06 PM

Not to mention they're annoying accent. It is really hilarious how Texans rebelled from Mexico and achieved independence, yet  in the end of the day, ironically, they ended up as a state to the United States anyhow. A handful of souls who strongly believed in Texan independence were sacrificed in the Texan Revolution for no reason.

No insults were meant towards anyone.

Edited by Captain Marin, 29 June 2013 - 12:07 PM.

#3 Azaghul

Azaghul

Baruk Khazd! Khazd ai-mnu!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,150 posts
  • Nation Name:Belegost
  • Alliance Name:The Order of the Paradox
  • CN:TE Nation Name:Wienerville
  • CN:TE Alliance Name:TE Police

Posted 29 June 2013 - 10:37 PM

I was there just outside the doors to the Senate chamber with hundreds of others when it all went down at midnight, and was in the gallery earlier in the day to watch the filibuster.  It was the craziest thing I've ever been to.  Everyone was pretty quiet until about the last hour, and even then organizers kept people from being loud until 15 minutes before midnight.  Before that we were told to be quiet while Democrats used parliamentary moves to try to kill it.  When we were told to start yelling, it was ridiculous, louder than a rock concert.  We kept going till around 12:30 because we were told that they were still trying to pass it after midnight.  My ears were still ringing the next morning and my voice still hasn't fully recovered.

The original intention was NOT to shout it down, but to be there in force as a visual presence in support of Wendy Davis's filibuster and against the bill in general.  Hundreds of people had gone in the days before to be in the gallery for the House vote, and to speak at public testimony against the bill.  Republicans cut off the testimony after many hours of testimony with hundreds still in line to speak.  They used absurd reasons to shut down Davis's filibuster, like saying that Roe Vs. Wade, and previous bills restricting abortion, aren't germane to a bill about abortion.  I'm normally all for decorum, but when the GOP leadership blatantly broke the rules, all bets were off.

#4 commander thrawn

commander thrawn

"May warriors' fortune smile on our efforts."

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,694 posts
  • Nation Name:Csilla

Posted 29 June 2013 - 10:41 PM

I will never understand such ardent support of killing babies, especially after or near the point they are capable of surviving outside of the womb.

#5 Teddyyo

Teddyyo

They call me Mr. Teddyyo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,171 posts
  • Nation Name:DaSouth
  • Alliance Name:Europa

Posted 29 June 2013 - 10:48 PM

I love how Democrats scream bloody murder when we filibuster and then quite literally scream bloody murder when we try to stop theirs.

Ah, politics.

Edited by Teddyyo, 29 June 2013 - 10:48 PM.

#6 KaiserMelech Mikhail

KaiserMelech Mikhail

BEAT BAYLUH!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,298 posts
  • Nation Name:Marscurian Empire
  • Alliance Name:Orange Defense Network

Posted 29 June 2013 - 11:07 PM

I will never understand such ardent support of killing babies, especially after or near the point they are capable of surviving outside of the womb.

Like they say, they're not for legal abortion, but for safe abortion.  If abortion as we have it now is made illegal, it won't be an end to abortions, but a return to the back-alley practice using a wire hanger and a tall flight of stairs like you see in sub-saharan Africa.

#7 commander thrawn

commander thrawn

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,694 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 11:47 PM

Like they say, they're not for legal abortion, but for safe abortion.  If abortion as we have it now is made illegal, it won't be an end to abortions, but a return to the back-alley practice using a wire hanger and a tall flight of stairs like you see in sub-saharan Africa.

nonsense. Even before roe v wade the overwhelming majority of abortions in the us were performed by doctors in their offices. Back alley abortions were never statistically significant. They were a political talking point. Also this is a ban on abortions late in development not in general so the screaming is all about keeping infanticide legal.

#8 Azaghul

Azaghul

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,150 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 12:08 AM

nonsense. Even before roe v wade the overwhelming majority of abortions in the us were performed by doctors in their offices. Back alley abortions were never statistically significant. They were a political talking point. Also this is a ban on abortions late in development not in general so the screaming is all about keeping infanticide legal.

The 20-24 week limit (which is in the middle of pregnancy) is only part of it.  The other part of it is adding unnecessary and burdensome requirements for abortion clinics to try to shut most of them down.

#9 commander thrawn

commander thrawn

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,694 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 12:40 AM

The 20-24 week limit (which is in the middle of pregnancy) is only part of it.  The other part of it is adding unnecessary and burdensome requirements for abortion clinics to try to shut most of them down.

Unnecessary regulations like making sure that the people performing abortions be equipped to deal with outpatient surgery and be able to transfer patients to a hospital in an emergency? Isn't this a medical procedure to be carried out in a safe environment with the right equipment? 

But then again, abortion safety has never been a concern, because its a completely idiotic concept. An abortion's intent is to kill someone after-all. That is why when challenged the common response is to threaten everyone with "back alley" abortions. Despite the lies associated with that line of reasoning. Also interesting is the fact that abortions become up to twice as risky to the mother later in the pregnancy (20-22 weeks). 

Dr. Bernard Nathanson, co-founder of the National Abortion Rights Action League, admits his group lied about the number of women who died from illegal abortions when testifying before the Supreme Court in 1972. "We spoke of 5,000 - 10,000 deaths a year.... I confess that I knew the figures were totally false ... it was a useful figure, widely accepted, so why go out of our way to correct it with honest statistics?"[1]

http://www.lifeline-...gures.htm#_ftn1

For reference:

https://en.wikipedia...patient_surgery

Ambulatory surgery centers (ASC), also known as outpatient surgery centers or same day surgery centers, are health care facilities where surgical procedures not requiring an overnight hospital stay are performed. Such surgery is commonly less complicated than that requiring hospitalization. Avoiding hospitalization can result in cost savings to the party responsible for paying for the patient's health care.[1]

An ASC, sometimes called surgicenter, specializes in providing surgery, including certain pain management and diagnostic (e.g., colonoscopy) services in anoutpatient setting. Overall, the services provided can be generally called procedures. In simple terms, ASC-qualified procedures can be considered procedures that are more intensive than those done in the average doctor's office but not so intensive as to require a hospital stay.

#10 Hereno

Hereno

Pax et Bonum

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,338 posts
  • Nation Name:Lancashire
  • Alliance Name:NSO

Posted 30 June 2013 - 01:14 AM

How do you know someone is from Texas?

They'll tell you.

#11 Azaghul

Azaghul

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,150 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:08 AM

Unnecessary regulations like making sure that the people performing abortions be equipped to deal with outpatient surgery and be able to transfer patients to a hospital in an emergency? Isn't this a medical procedure to be carried out in a safe environment with the right equipment? 

But then again, abortion safety has never been a concern, because its a completely idiotic concept. An abortion's intent is to kill someone after-all. That is why when challenged the common response is to threaten everyone with "back alley" abortions. Despite the lies associated with that line of reasoning. Also interesting is the fact that abortions become up to twice as risky to the mother later in the pregnancy (20-22 weeks). 

http://www.lifeline-...gures.htm#_ftn1

For reference:

https://en.wikipedia...patient_surgery

Abortion is significantly safer than childbirth.  (source)  Yet you don't see these kind of requirements applied to childbirth do you?  You don't see every kind of medical facility being required to to have admitting privileges to a nearby hospital.  Why?  Because it's unnecessary.  This isn't about women's health, this is about circumventing the Supreme Court and finding ways to shut down abortion clinics.  Even Dewhurst admitted as much in a tweet.  (source)

#12 Lord GVChamp

Lord GVChamp

Liberation is at hand

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,183 posts
  • Nation Name:Quanda
  • Alliance Name:GREEN TEAM!

Posted 30 June 2013 - 11:14 AM

Maybe democrats will now look at the ridiculous regulation they put on everything else? Nah....

#13 Omniscient1

Omniscient1

Just a nice guy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,865 posts
  • Nation Name:Silla
  • Alliance Name:No Affiliation

Posted 30 June 2013 - 12:23 PM

I used to subscribe to this argument myself until I realized ethically it does not hold. The argument is fallacious, but it gets used anyway as an appeal to emotion.

#14 commander thrawn

commander thrawn

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,694 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 01:15 PM

Abortion is significantly safer than childbirth.  (source)  Yet you don't see these kind of requirements applied to childbirth do you?  You don't see every kind of medical facility being required to to have admitting privileges to a nearby hospital.  Why?  Because it's unnecessary.  This isn't about women's health, this is about circumventing the Supreme Court and finding ways to shut down abortion clinics.  Even Dewhurst admitted as much in a tweet.  (source)

Except for the person being murdered of course. Also yes as far as I know hospital delivery rooms meet those requirements, as well as having neonatal resuscitation equipment, and the ability to admit women for C-sections and other procedures. 

Also I have to question the validity of your article claiming that RU-486 is considered safe. China banned its sale because they found that women all over the country were having complications, severe bleeding etc. 

#15 Azaghul

Azaghul

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,150 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 02:40 PM

Except for the person being murdered of course. Also yes as far as I know hospital delivery rooms meet those requirements, as well as having neonatal resuscitation equipment, and the ability to admit women for C-sections and other procedures. 

Also I have to question the validity of your article claiming that RU-486 is considered safe. China banned its sale because they found that women all over the country were having complications, severe bleeding etc. 

Not everyone gives birth in a hospital!

#16 commander thrawn

commander thrawn

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,694 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:07 PM

Not everyone gives birth in a hospital!

I know that, but that is their choice. Are you comiing out in favor of forcing women to go to a hospital, since these back alley births are so dangerous?

#17 Azaghul

Azaghul

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,150 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:13 PM

I know that, but that is their choice. Are you comiing out in favor of forcing women to go to a hospital, since these back alley births are so dangerous?

Nope I'm in favor of allowing women to go to abortion centers without having severe and unnecessary limits on those centers.

Edited by Azaghul, 30 June 2013 - 03:13 PM.

#18 commander thrawn

commander thrawn

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,694 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:20 PM

Nope I'm in favor of allowing women to go to abortion centers without having severe and unnecessary limits on those centers.

Well Texas seems to disagree with you that these are unnecessary limits. You are essentially arguing that women should not be protected when they go for a medical procedure. 

#19 Lord GVChamp

Lord GVChamp

Liberation is at hand

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,183 posts
  • Nation Name:Quanda
  • Alliance Name:GREEN TEAM!

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:27 PM

As a Texan, he is allowed to vote on matters of concern to Texan women and we are not. 

#20 commander thrawn

commander thrawn

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,694 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:28 PM

As a Texan, he is allowed to vote on matters of concern to Texan women and we are not. 

I know, but it would seem his vote is in the minority.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users