Fare Thee Well Sweet Prince(ess too)

Rush Sykes

Cybernations is a game. We are all, for the most part, a conglomeration of people who, at the end of the day, mean very little to one another. Sometimes, though, someone or someones come along that transcend the "just another gaming friend" role. These people become people you genuinely care about, people whos well-being you seriously consider to be relevant to you personally. When these people depart this game, though your friendships go on, the community that is Cybernations, suffers a cascading shockwave of emptiness. In the last 30 days, 2 such people, for my part, have departed this world. They did so to no grandiose goodbye threads, as it is not in their personality to do so. However, I cannot let these two departures pass without expressing my personal gratitude, and the gratitude of anyone who values good people within this game.

31 days ago, the 1st departure came. I must bid a fond farewell to Ryxeria (those of you around from CNs old days, close to TPF and Elysium will know her as Ayrrie). Aside from being a great contributor to this community (prior to med school monopolizing her time), she was also a great personal friend to me. There are not very many people within this game who took the time to take an interest in the mundane daily happenings of life, but for her and I, it was a great mutual interest. Planet Bob feels much less hospitable without her presence here to make light of how much I actually "play" this game. Though our contact is maintained outside the game, her lack of presence in this game and on IRC make both the game and the machinations behind the game less interesting. 

Then today happened. It is not really very often that someone that I would qualify as a living legend in this game, quietly deletes with almost no fanfare. Well, today my friends, this has indeed happened. Our beloved Pansy of Pansy Commune is no more on Planet Bob. The call and trials of the outside world are now his sole focus. To call him my friend does not adequately cover it. He was more. A confidante, an entertainer, even at times a nemesis.  There can be no understatement of what he has meant to the people who were fortunate enough to call him friend.. Suddenly, my own presence in this game feels darker and weaker. Those who were not fortunate to call this man their friend, you are now devoid of the opportunity to  be graced by one such as Pansy. Your lives, too, in this game, now have much less potential for entertainment due to this departure.

To older players, take a moment to appreciate those of us (friend or foe) who have helped to shape this game for you. To the newer players, never be afraid to learn who, of those who have passed on to the outside realm called Real Life, helped to set the stage to make this game what it is. Because in this thread, we are truly acknowledging the departure of 2 of CN's finest. Fare thee well my friends. 

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pansy was my first "Prisoner of War," claimed through vicious Scrabble battles and extended verbal sparring matches. He's probably been the best friend I've made in this game. I'm damn proud to have been his friend while he terrorised the sheep of Planet Bob and am very glad to count him among my friends elsewhere. I'll be keeping up with him as best I can from here.

* [b][color=red]Mary the Fantabulous[/b][/color] raises a glass to her friend's memory.

Did not know Pansy very long, but the few chats I had with the dude conveyed a positive impression. Take care out there brother.