The Peace Dividend

Monopoly+Dividend+Paid.JPG
"Peace is but an illusion; Conflict is omnipresent" --Unattributed

PREVIOUS CHAPTERS
Chapter 1: Deja Vu
Chapter 2: Excellence and Exodus
Chapter 3: Vengeance and Vendetta

SUMMARY
The Rebellion has been crushed, and J Andres has entered an age of peace. President McDowell has been overwhelmingly reelected to a third term, unprecedented since the First Maritime Republic. With internal strife low, the nation has made great technological advances. How long will The Maritime Republic continue to collect the dividend of peace?

Dramatis Personae
Evan McDowell, President
Anton Rasmussen, Minister of War & Defense
Patrick Aurora, Minister of Foreign Affairs
Nicholas Egorov, Premier of the Commune
Katherine, Queen of J Andres and its Empire

January 7, 2061

CLASSIFIED

J Andres Military Status Report
Prepared by Anton Rasmussen, Minister of War & Defense

Total Soldiers: 400,000 (305,000 Active, 95,000 Reserves)
Tanks: 500 (MAX: 2000)
Aircraft: 60 (MAX: 60)
Naval Vessels: none

Personnel
Soldiers: Armed with a Mix of weapons purchased from Annan Arms
Land Vehicles
M18 Tank Destroyers (500) (Marscurian Military Works)
M1 Battle Tanks (300) (Rossingol Motors)
M2 Troop Transport Trucks (150) (Marscurian Military Works)
Aircraft
UH-1 Iroquois (20) (Hershey Defense Systems),
CH-06 (18) (Thames Rotorcraft),
AH-12 (8) (Thames Rotorcraft)
F-1 (14) (Thames Rotorcraft)
Other
Other Artillery: M198 Howitzer (125) (Hershey Defense Systems)
Calling the reserves to active duty will likely take 48 hours.
Missile Defense System: Located in Endor Cuidad, Rossingol, Boston, Danbury, Puerto Pacis.

Production Contracts:
150x Rossingol Motors M1, delivered annually

TROOP ASSIGNMENTS (Current/Capacity)

Fort Farnum, Endor Cuidad (40,000/50,000)
Fort Cianci, Providence (20,000/30,000)
Fort Royal, Newport (15,000/20,000)
Fort Benjamin Richards, Boston (35,000/50,000)
Fort Adrik Annan, Rossingol (40,000/50,000)
Fort Jack Bosco, Danbury (40,000/50,000)
Salty Brine Outpost, Narragansett (15,000/15,000)
Roger Ahmadinejad Outpost, Hartford (15,000/15,000)
Alex Miller Outpost, Waterbury (15,000/15,000)
Julio Duclos Outpost, New Haven (15,000/15,000)
Richard Mercton Outpost Springfield (15,000/15,000)
Jack Bauer Outpost, Lowell (15,000/15,000)
Joel Brunel Outpost, Mercton Cuidad (15,000/15,000)
Thames Outpost, New London, (10,000/20,000)
Woodrow Kissinger Air Force Base, Quonset (60/60 Aircraft)

EXECUTIVE SUMMARY:
After two years of peace, the Commune continues to look to slash defense budgets. I must continue to argue against these cuts. The Maritime Republic may have entered an age of peace; however, history tells us that these ages eventually come to an end.
We bought equipment from Hershey Defense Systems and Marscurian Military Works eight years ago to quickly establish our forces. We purchased equipment that was not modern at the time, and time has not treated these items gently. It is crucial to continue to renew our annual contract with Rossingol Motors for battle tanks, and Thames Rotorcraft should be pressured to develop newer designs to replace the aging Iroquois.
Kensington Mews continues to assure me that their shipyards will soon be able to support government contracts to build our navy. It will be difficult for us to ensure the sovereignty of The Maritime Republic without a navy.
I understand that defense cuts may be warranted in times of peace. In the event that cuts must be made, I would prefer to shift more of our active duty soldiers into the reserves. Our numerous outposts do not need to be fully staffed outside of a crisis.

newanchortimes.png

January 18, 2061

NEW AIR FORCE BASES TO OPEN BY END OF YEAR

NORWOOD -- Minister Anton Rasmussen announced today that at least two new Air Force bases would be opening before the end of 2061. "I am pleased that our skies will be safer with the addition of these bases. Currently all of our aircraft are stored in the east, and would not be able to quickly respond to activity in the north or west of the nation."

Rasmussen announced that the three locations currently selected will be as follows:
Mickey Bethesda AFB in Norwood, Duchy of Boston
Colonel Ledyard AFB in Norwich, Duchy of Rossingol
Candlewood AFB in New Milford, County of Danbury

Additional locations may be added as well, although construction of the bases (and the planes to occupy them) is not expected to begin immediately. Thames Rotorcraft has announced its newest Fighter design the F-2. To quickly bring the design into production, Thames Rotorcraft has utilized many components from its predecessor. The Commune authorized funding for the purchase of 12 F-2 fighters, and 24 F-1 fighters for delivery before the end of 2061. Edited by J Andres

newanchortimes.png

February 20, 2061

CELLULAR DEVICES ACHIEVE WIDESPREAD ADOPTION

123742-LG-F7200.jpg 
The top-selling mobile phone, the P108

CAMBRIDGE -- Cambridge Electronics released their revenues for the past quarter and have sent stock prices soaring, primarily due to strong sales of their newest mobile phone, the P108. The P108 obliterates its competition with its 2.1 megapixel camera, and voice dialing features. Rumor has it that the next generation of the P-series mobile phone may feature a QWERTY-style keyboard, which will spark another buying frenzy for the Cambridge devices.

It is estimated that 85% of Andreans now own a mobile phone.

Cambridge Electronics has more than doubled its work force in the past two years and is still hiring, looking for engineers from foreign universities to help develop what Cambridge calls the "future of mobile technology, capacitive touchscreens." Edited by J Andres

newanchortimes.png

March 31, 2061

GIBBONS CHARTS A NEW DIRECTION FOR THE NATIONALIST PARTY

Nationalistimage.jpg

ENDOR CUIDAD -- Emily Gibbons has spent nearly half of her life leading the Nationalist Party in the Commune. Today, in a speech primarily to the Nationalist Senators of the Commune, she announced that the party would no longer tolerate the antics that lead the party to their worst election in memory. "We were once the party of Mercton, when Mercton was an honorable name. Today, the Mercton's have shamed themselves--and our party--with their failed revolt. The Nationalist Party will no longer support a strengthened monarchy, nor an excessive military. We believe that a military can be both efficient and effective, without dominating the national budget."

Gibbons continued to explain that she would speak in-depth with the remaining Nationalist Senators to determine the best course of action for the Nationalist Party future. It appears clear that the Nationalist Party has learned from its error in 2060 and has it's eyes on the Gubernatorial elections in 2062 and the next general elections in 2064. Edited by J Andres

newanchortimes.png

April 5, 2061

AURORA ANNOUNCES PLAN TO RETIRE AT YEAR'S END

Patrickaurora.png

ENDOR CUIDAD -- After what will have been 9 years as Foreign Affairs Minister, Patrick Aurora has announced his plans to retire at the end of the year. "I really look forward to returning to Boston and pursuing other things," he told the media at a press conference today. "I am proud of the accomplishments that I have made, and that this nation has made in our efforts to usher in a global society and economy."

Aurora was on the potential short-list for Presidential candidates in 2064 if McDowell doesn't seek reelection. Some analysts have stated that Aurora's retirement from the Foreign Affairs Department permits him to explore his Presidential ambitions, although most reporters here at The Anchor Times tend to disagree.

No official replacement has since been named.

newanchortimes.png

April 18, 2061

DUCHESS WANTS PALACE, RESIDENTS PROTEST

640px-Ch%C3%A2teau_de_Himeji02.jpg
Proposed design for Kensington Palace in Rossingol

ROSSINGOL -- The Duchess of Rossingol may be one of the most liked royals in the Republic, but that doesn't mean she her authority is unquestioned. After touring the newly renovated Aquidneck Castle in Newport, home to the Royal Family, Duchess Lily determined that Rossingol needed a palace of its own.

Although rumor's of the Duchess's intentions had been flying throughout the duchy for months, only after the location was announced did the residents respond. The Duchess has selected a popular coastside location in an affluent neighborhood. The problem is that the House of Annan doesn't own any land in the area. The House of Annan is not the wealthiest family either; most of the inheritance of the late-President Adrik Annan was in the form of the companies which became Annan Enterprises, and under the control of the Baroness of Colchester.

Only one arrest has been connected to the protests thus far, Barry Gallagher, a resident in swatch of land being eyed by Duchess Lily, on charges of arson. Edited by J Andres

freebarry.png

Protests in Dar Es Salaam in Response to "The unjust arrest of Barry Gallagher"

The citizens of The Republic of Africa began a small scaled protest in Dar Es Salaam against the imprisonment dealt against Barry Gallagher on the charges of Arson. Protestors began yelling "Free Barry, Imprison Annan". The protest began gathering attention as protestors began surrounding businesses in The Republic of Africa that were suspected of dealing or trading with businesses of the Annan Enterprises. No violence has been reported, but protestors began to demand Queen Hadiya to take action against "Inhumane Treatment of a Fellow Man".

Protests began to grow from 3,000 members to 14,000. Protestors were noted for flying J. Andres flags and R.O.A. flags, accompanied by signs exclaiming "The R.O.A. stands in Solidarity with J. Andres, End Government Greed!". As no action had yet been taken by the queen, a small group of 300 protestors approached the capital and began protesting outside the Government Buildings. Hadiya had went outside and was shocked. She stated to national news "I was not only shocked that a greedy woman could do such a thing, but I was shocked to see the people of Dar Es Salaam, one of the lowest income countries in the world, taking a day off of their hectic lives to protest." she got a tear in her eye. "The fact that we do not have enough food to feed all of our people, and civilians work day-and-night just to get food on the table, sacrificed their dinner and supper just to help out a man in need." she began to cry as she smiled. "Things like this is why I love my people. Things like this give me hope." the crowd continued to protest.

Hadiya immediately went into the capital building and got a megaphone. National and World News Reporters began to gather at the capital as the protestors began to grow. "Citizens!" the crowd quietened down. "I will have you formally know that we will not tolerate greed!" the crowd roared "This is a public announcement to the government of J. Andres! I, The Queen of The Republic of Africa, with the full support of my people -" the camera turned to the crowd and back to Hadiya "Demand! Yes, Demand that Barry Gallagher be immediately given a fair trial and Lily Annan be tried for Crimes against Humanity!" The crowd roared. Hadiya continued with a speech to her people.

Edited by Rotavele

CoatofArms-Annan.png

April 18, 2061

STATEMENT FROM THE MOST HONORABLE LILY, DUCHESS OF ROSSINGOL

These are strange times we live in.
Only a few years ago, I would have dictated this statement to a typist, who would later fax the document to the various news agencies throughout J Andres and the globe.
We now live in an age where nearly everyone has mobile phones, and we send pictures with them!
I am sure there is a pleasant future ahead of us thanks to the smart men and women in companies such as Cambridge Electronics and JTech Industries.

However, in this world of instant communication, errors can be amplified.
Today, I announced the proposed location of a palace I would like to build in the village of Long Point. Attorneys representing my family met with land owners in the area, informing them of our intention to build Kensington Palace. The attorneys informed each land owner that their land would be purchased at a price above market value if they wished to sell it to the developers. Although our attorneys are not willing to discuss the financial details of the offers made, it should be noted that some homeowners have accepted the offer, and others did not.

We have no intention of seizing the land for ourselves. It is against my principles, and against the principles of great-grandfather, Adrik Annan. The greatest Communist President our nation has ever seen. We will continue to work with the owners of the land we desire to attempt to come to an amicable agreement. If no such agreement can be reached, we will seek an alternative location.

Various groups in J Andres, and even in Dar Es Salaam, a capital city across the Atlantic, voices have chanted for the release of Barry Gallagher.
After the Richard's failed rebellion four years ago, the constitution was amended to remove the monarchy and the provincial nobles from the judicial system.
Mr. Gallagher in the hands of the Rossingol City Police Force, and will face a fair trial before a jury of his peers per Andrean law.

Her Majesty, Hadiya, Queen of The Republic of Africa, has demanded that Mr. Gallagher is released and that I may be placed on trial for crimes against humanity. We respect the people of Dar Es Salaam, and their Queen; however, Mr. Gallagher is not in our custody, and the propositioning of land is not considered a crime against humanity on this side of the Atlantic.

The Most Honorable Lily, Duchess of Rossingol
House of Annan
Edited by J Andres

newanchortimes.png

April 19, 2061

ON THE ISSUES - The Citizens & The Parties

ENDOR CUIDAD -- For years, the Anchor Party and the Nationalist Party have jostled with their center-right philosophies to find the proper balance needed for an electoral win. After a decade of drifting to the right, the Nationalists appear to be shifting back to the center. We discussed the issues with various Senators in the Commune and a sample set of voting age citizens to find out where the people--and the parties--stand.

Percentages indicate the support from the general population. Political Parties (including factions and fringe groups) are listed under each item if they are in support

State of the Monarchy

Expand the Authority of the Monarchy (15%)
Royalist Faction
Maintain the Authority of the Monarchy (65%)
Anchor Party
Nationalist Party
Social Democratic Party
Diminish the Authority of the Monarchy (20%)
Communist Party (limit system of peerages)
Knights of Cromwell (abolishment)
National Liberation Army (abolishment)

State of the Military

Increase Spending Levels (30%)
Royalist Faction
Maintain Spending Levels (25 %)
Anchor Party
Decrease Spending Levels (45%)
Communist Party
Nationalist Party
National Liberation Army
No Position
Knights of Cromwell
Social Democratic Party

State of Foreign Relations

Regulated Trade & Tariffs (68%)
Nationalist Party
Communist Party
Free Trade & Low Tariffs (32%)
Anchor Party
National Liberation Army

Regulated Border Policy (15%)
Nationalist Party
Open Border Policy (85%)
Anchor Party
Communist Party
Knights of Cromwell
Social Democratic Party

Increased Diplomatic Presence (65%)
Communist Party
Decrease Diplomatic Presence (35%)

No Position
Royalist Faction

State of Social Programs

Expand Social Programs & Compassion Centers (25%)
Communist Party
Knights of Cromwell
National Liberation Army
Social Democratic Party
Maintain Social Programs & Compassion Centers (55%)
Anchor Party
Nationalist Party
Decrease Social Programs & Compassion Centers (20%)

State of Domestic Economy

Increase Economic Regulations (35%)
Communist Party
Royalist Faction
Maintain Economic Regulations (20%)
Nationalist Party
Knights of Cromwell
Social Democratic Party
Decrease Economic Regulations (45%)
Anchor Party
National Liberation Army Edited by J Andres

• 2 weeks later...

newanchortimes.png

September 10, 2061

LAURENT TAPPED AS MINSTER, FIRST FEMALE FOR POST

130x150charlottelaurent.pngPatrickaurora.png
Charlotte Laurent will become the fifth Minister of Foreign Affairs upon the retirement of Minister Patrick Aurora

ENDOR CUIDAD -- Minister Aurora's retirement may be old news, but the search for his replacement has persisted through the months. Today, President Evan McDowell announced that Charlotte Laurent, the present Chief Ambassador to Europe will be promoted to Minister of Foreign Affairs. Laurent has held her diplomatic position for about nine years and is looking forward to the new opportunities to become the diplomatic face of the nation.

"I never dreamed that something like this would happen!" she exclaimed during the press conference, flanked by the President and Minister Aurora. "J Andres has always focused on itself, or on North America. We have historically placed little emphasis on relationship beyond our continent, and my selection is a signal that J Andres is changing. After 80 years of existence, we will have our first female department minister. After 80 years of existence, we will be taking a new international focus. These are exciting times in which we live."

Minister Aurora also announced that in retirement he will be operating a new think tank called the Aurora Institute, with the goal of "fostering a prosperous North America." The Institute will be based in his home town of Boston. Aurora stated that he is looking forward to working side by side with Laurent during the transitional period. Edited by J Andres

newanchortimes.png

October 7, 2061

BOMB BURSTS BOSTON BIRTHDAY BASH

Merctonporthouse.jpg
The Mercton Port House in Boston, site of the bombing

BOSTON -- Duke Benjamin had been preparing all night to blow out the 104 birthday candles on his cake. Unfortunately, the Grand Ol' Duke of Boston didn't get a chance. A bomb exploded elsewhere in the Mercton Port House, and the building was evacuated. The former President, a living artifact of J Andres history was disappointed he never got to blow out the candles, but pleased that no one was seriously injured. "It is always sad to see people turn to violence to express themselves politically," he said from a hospital room where he was examined as a precaution. "For eight decades, Andreans have made it through so much, to earn so many freedoms, and then they succumb to the belief that violence changes the world. Words and ideas are what changes the world."

The party was attended by nearly all members of the House of Richards, as well as numerous other politicians and royals. No party has taken credit for the attack, and no suspects have been apprehended.

newanchortimes.png

November 3, 2061

ASSASSINATION IN DANBURY, EARL EXECUTED

Michaelannan.png
Earl Michael in his younger years as Minister of War and Defense

DANBURY -- The riots in the west are far from the peaks during the Vinsalian crisis; however, the violence has not ended. A new organization known as "The Knights of Cromwell" have taken credit for the assassination of Michael, Earl of Danbury and his son Ho-chi. Michael, served as the Minister of War and Defense during the presidency of Roger Ahmadinejad.

The Knights of Cromwell, an obscure term until recent months, have taken credit for the attack. In a video message released from their internet homepage, the Knights of Cromwell have called for the immediate dissolution of the J Andres system of peerages. They point to the latest outrage over the Duchess of Rossingol's attempt to construct a palace as their call to action. This marks the first known act of violence from the group, although some analysts have suspected the groups involvement in the Boston Bombing during the Birthday celebration for Benjamin Richards.

newanchortimes.png

December 18, 2061

BARRY GALLAGHER WANTED FOR INVOLVEMENT WITH KNIGHTS OF CROMWELL

mgallagher.jpg
Barry Gallagher, in an employee portrait for WROG talk radio

ROSSINGOL -- Investigators of the Maritime Republic have uncovered evidence that Barry Gallagher, a local radio personality, is heavily involved with the Knights of Cromwell, and may be the founding member. Gallagher, arrested earlier this year on arson charges but later released, has not been on the radio since before the bombing of the Mercton Port House in Boston. Friends and relatives have been silent on his whereabouts and his voice has been notably absent from the airwaves.

A search warrant for the Gallagher residence was issued, but nothing was found at the home, which was unoccupied at the time. The scope of the organization is unknown at this time. The Duchess of Rossingol has cancelled a few public appearances this week, even while her publicists insist that she is unwavering in the face of these threats.

newanchortimes.png

January 3, 2062

GUBERNATORIAL RACES TO WATCH

With a new year upon us, The Anchor Times staff has analyzed the eleven provinces and has all the information you need to know on the gubernatorial races in 2062, and their implications.

RACES TO WATCH
Endor -- Governor Cindy Grant (A) is in some serious trouble in the Hauptstadt. Polling has shown that the Anchor Party has lost serious ground to the Nationalist Party in the capital city. The Anchor Party will have trouble holding all six of their governorships, and Endor seems the most likely to flip, although it depends who her opponents are. Senator Emily Gibbons, leader of the Nationalists in the Commune, and the public face of the Nationalist revival movement is rumored to be eying the Presidency, but may consider the Governorship to be a stepping stone. Here at The Anchor Times, we think Gibbons will stay in the Commune, but with Gibbons endorsement, a Nationalist candidate could win in Endor.
Providence -- Governor and CEO Donald Gates III (A) looks extremely vulnerable in a race that could go in any of three directions. The Nationalist Party is looking for a strong candidate to run for the governorship here and they may have found one in Tobias Bethesda, a grandson of legendary Foreign Affairs Minister Mickey Bethesda. The communists haven't selected a candidate either, and the electoral map hasn't seen red this far east in quite some time, but it is a possibility.
Mercton -- Governor Arun Koury (N) will face a tough battle with an unnamed Anchor Party candidate. Although the Nationalist Party has gained ground across the country, the have sidestepped the Anchor party on crucial economic and social issues that leaves the County of Mercton vulnerable for an Anchor Party grab.
Hyannis -- Supposedly, Hyannis's close ties to the Grand Duchy of Boston are not as strong as certain Anchor Party officials would like. Governor Walter Kennedy (A) may have some trouble maintaining his governorship. Kennedy is still a name that carries weight through most of former New England, but recent ideological shifts have placed Hyannis more in line with its eastern neighbors than with its northern ones.
Newport -- Governor Aaron Perry (A) may be limited to only one term. Polling shows a potential Nationalist Party candidate leading in this region. Former Governor Tim Cooper is a option for the Nationalists, but party officials may have trouble convincing him to give up sailing for the second time after his failed Presidential bid two years ago.

SAFE RACES
Boston -- Governor John Walker (A) will likely retain his position. The Grand Duchy of Boston is the thriving center of the Anchor Party and seeing the most populated province in a color besides yellow seems extremely unlikely. Walker is the biggest household name of all the Anchor Party Governors, and is considered to be a front-runner if McDowell does not seek reelection in two years.
Danbury -- Governor Phillip Gordon (C) should retain his governorship in Danbury. The western regions of J Andres are overwhelmingly Communist, and Danbury is no exception. Phillip Gordon has plenty of star power, running as the Communist Presidential candidate 6 years ago. Gordon may consider running again in 2064 if McDowell decides not to run.
Hartford -- Governor Chris Tucker (C) should maintain his governorship here. Although not as overwhelmingly Communist as Danbury or Lanier, Hartford
comes in a close third.
Rossingol -- Governor William Hahn (N) is Rossingol's favorite son. Although his views no longer align themselves with mainstream Nationalist thought, he should have no issue becoming reelected here.
Lanier -- Governor Brad Henault (C) will keep Lanier red, for the similar to the other Communist western strongholds.
Puerto Pacis -- Governor Paul Douglas (A) looks like he is relatively safe, but with the small population of this province, voter turnout always can influence an election. Edited by J Andres

January 5, 2062

CLASSIFIED

Respectfully Submitted by Anton Rasmussen, Minister of War & Defense

Total Soldiers: 400,000 (230,000 Active, 170,000 Reserves)
Tanks: 950 (MAX: 2000)
Aircraft: 96 (MAX: 720)
Naval Vessels: none

Personnel
Land Vehicles
M1 Battle Tanks (450) (Rossingol Motors)
Aircraft
F-1 (38) (Thames Rotorcraft)
F-2 (12) (Thames Rotorcraft)
Other
Missile Defense System: Located in Endor Cuidad, Rossingol, Boston, Danbury, Puerto Pacis.

Production Contracts:
36x Thames Rotorcraft F-2, delivered annually
60x Thames Rotorcraft F-1, delivered annually

Fort Farnum, Endor Cuidad (45,000/50,000)
Fort Cianci, Providence (15,000/30,000)
Fort Royal, Newport (10,000/20,000)
Fort Benjamin Richards, Boston (35,000/50,000)
Fort Adrik Annan, Rossingol (40,000/50,000)
Fort Jack Bosco, Danbury (30,000/50,000)
Salty Brine Outpost, Narragansett (5,000/15,000)
Roger Ahmadinejad Outpost, Hartford (10,000/15,000)
Alex Miller Outpost, Waterbury (10,000/15,000)
Julio Duclos Outpost, New Haven (5,000/15,000)
Richard Mercton Outpost Springfield (5,000/15,000)
Jack Bauer Outpost, Lowell (5,000/15,000)
Joel Brunel Outpost, Mercton Cuidad (5,000/15,000)

AIR FORCE BASES (Current/Capacity)
Woodrow Kissinger AFB, Quonset (36/240 Aircraft)
Mickey Bethesda AFB, Norwood (24/204 Aircraft)
Colonel Ledyard AFB, Norwich (24/156 Aircraft)
Candlewood AFB, New Milford (12/120 Aircraft)

EXECUTIVE SUMMARY:
I thank the Commune for their resistance to public pressure to decrease defense spending. Using surplus funds I have increased the production contracts to increase the size of our air force. The air force is undersized and will need significant ramping up during the next few years to reach adequacy.
We have completed the construction of three new air force bases, servicing Boston, Rossingol, and the West. Existing aircraft have been redistributed throughout the bases.

An additional 75,000 troops have been shifted from active duty to the reserves. The cost savings from this reallocation should be enough to fund numerous defense projects if spending cuts are implemented this year (it is an election year).

Kensington Mews Shipbuilding has completed construction of their drydock facilities; however, have not completed the design work for the vessels that we wish to build. Lady Maria Kensington has informed me that although construction on the lead ship of the submarine class may begin this year, delivery can not be expected until at least 2064. She emphasized that 2064 is an optimistic date.

If the funding is available, I propose a research and development contract with Cambridge Electronics. Cambridge has proved to be the technological innovator of the nation, and if new defense technologies can be developed, I have full confidence in Cambridge to develop them for us. I am wary of open-ended projects like this with Annan Enterprises or even JTech Industries, in fear that any technologies developed will be reliant on their infrastructure or intellectual property. The Webb Anti-Trust Act helped the Department of Defense diversify it's contracts, which lessens our exposure to risk. This should continue with R&D investments in Cambridge Electronics.

newanchortimes.png

January 23, 2062

FIRST SHIP IN 55 YEARS LEAVES SHIPYARD

250px-Narragansettclass.png
The JAS Narragansett, the lead ship of its class leaves Long Island Sound for the Naval Base at Puerto Pacis

ROSSINGOL -- For many years since the fifth reformation, Kensington Mews Shipyard has remained empty, eagerly awaiting the day to begin full production of naval vessels once again. Minister Anton Rasmussen has repeatedly spoke of building the submarine fleet. Today, the JAS Narragansett, the first new J Andres naval vessel since 2006 was commissioned.

The Narragansett-class littoral combat ships will continue using the existing corvette hull numbering. Minister Rasmussen spoke briefly at the ceremony this afternoon, "Since the great decomissioning in 2040, the Maritime Republic has held little true Maritime power. This ship, and the others that will follow, are a symbol to the world that the will of the Andreans has not been crushed over the years. Previous generations have sailed the seas proudly, flying the maritime anchor and defending the rights of those on land. Now, J Andres can protect its coastline and its merchants."

Six additional ships will be constructed this year, and two more in the early portion of the next.

JAS Narragansett (LCS 12)
JAS Quonset (LCS 13)
JAS Bristol (LCS 14)
JAS Mystic (LCS 15)
JAS Fall River (LCS 16)
JAS Gloucester (LCS 17)
JAS Niantic (LCS 18)
JAS Ninigret (LCS 19) Edited by J Andres

• 3 weeks later...

newanchortimes.png

July 6, 2062

DEBATE RAGES OVER MILITARY FUNDING

00464303200240.jpg
Premier Egorov gives testimony, arguing for the reduction of defense spending

ENDOR CUIDAD -- While the pundits begin to focus on the upcoming Gubernatorial elections, the Commune is still attempting to pass a budget for the upcoming year. Premier Egorov and the Communist Party, supported by a handful of Nationalist Party senators have joined together, attempting to reduce the defense budget. "In the times of the Fifth Republic, the weaponry of our military has been used upon ourselves more than it has been used upon our enemies. These new ships and planes are necessary, but not at the rates that we are purchasing them."

The new budget still is still lacking a few votes, but more Nationalists are expected to join in its support soon. However, President McDowell has publicly acknowledged that he will veto the budget if it passes, sending it back to the Commune for further debate.

• 2 weeks later...

newanchortimes.png

January 3, 2063

NEW GOVERNORS TAKE OFFICE
75px-Hahn.png75px-130x150tobiasbethesda.png75px-130x150glennellis.png75px-130x150norachavez.png75px-130x150kevinklein.pngNationalist Party
75px-130x150johnwalker.png75px-130x150williamduffy.png75px-130x150pauldouglas.pngAnchor Party
75px-130x150phillipgordon.png75px-130x150christucker.png75px-130x150bradhenault.pngCommunist Party

ENDOR CUIDAD -- The Anchor Party control three less provinces than they did yesterday. The party which has dominated politics in J Andres for the last decade since the Fifth Reformation, now finds itself in disrepair.

The Nationalist Party has surged into popularity, and no one stands to benefit more than Emily Gibbons. The leader of the Nationalist Party in the Commune personally oversaw the rebranding of the Nationalist Party, cutting ties with the former Imperials such as William Hahn, and moving forward with a more modern and progressive platform.

All eyes are now on President McDowell, as pundits speculate if he will run again for a fourth term in 2064. The office of President is elected by popular vote, so the outcome of eleven separate races does not have a great bearing on presidential calculus. However, the Anchor Party has lost significant ground to the Nationalists and it remains to be determined whether or not the large Anchor margins in teh Grand Duchy of Boston will continue to carry the party. Edited by J Andres

March 2, 2063

CLASSIFIED

Respectfully Submitted by Anton Rasmussen, Minister of War & Defense

Total Soldiers: 400,000 (220,000 Active, 180,000 Reserves)
Tanks: 1100 (MAX: 2000)
Aircraft: 96 (MAX: 720)
Naval Vessels: 6

Personnel
Land Vehicles
M1 Battle Tanks (600) (Rossingol Motors)
Aircraft
F-1 (98) (Thames Rotorcraft)
F-2 (48) (Thames Rotorcraft)
Naval Vessels
Narragansett-class littoral combat ship (6) (Kensington Mews Shipbuiling)
Other

Production Contracts:
36x Thames Rotorcraft F-2, delivered annually
60x Thames Rotorcraft F-1, delivered annually
6x Kensington Mews Narragansett-class littoral combat ships, 6 in 2063, 4 in 2064

Fort Farnum, Endor Cuidad (45,000/50,000)
Fort Cianci, Providence (15,000/30,000)
Fort Royal, Newport (10,000/20,000)
Fort Benjamin Richards, Boston (30,000/50,000)
Fort Adrik Annan, Rossingol (35,000/50,000)
Fort Jack Bosco, Danbury (30,000/50,000)
Salty Brine Outpost, Narragansett (5,000/15,000)
Roger Ahmadinejad Outpost, Hartford (10,000/15,000)
Alex Miller Outpost, Waterbury (10,000/15,000)
Julio Duclos Outpost, New Haven (5,000/15,000)
Richard Mercton Outpost Springfield (5,000/15,000)
Jack Bauer Outpost, Lowell (5,000/15,000)
Joel Brunel Outpost, Mercton Cuidad (5,000/15,000)

AIR FORCE BASES (Current/Capacity)
Woodrow Kissinger AFB, Quonset (72/240 Aircraft)
Mickey Bethesda AFB, Norwood (36/204 Aircraft)
Colonel Ledyard AFB, Norwich (48/156 Aircraft)
Candlewood AFB, New Milford (36/120 Aircraft)

NAVAL BASES
Puerto Pacis, Block Island (6 LCS)

EXECUTIVE SUMMARY:
I have warned the Commune repeatedly of the dangers of reductions in the defense budget. Due to cost-saving measures put in place last year, research and development money was reduced, and now the production timeline for the submarines has been delayed until 2065. Although it is possible to see construction begin before then, it is highly unlikely.

Construction of the Narragansett-class littoral combat ship has been a great success. The first six ships of the class were completed last year, with an additional six to be constructed this year, and four more in the next. Our Air Force has also grown steadily, although it is still undersized for our needs.

Last year 75,000 troops were shifted from active duty to the reserves. This year, an additional 10,000 troops were reallocated.

Last year my request for additional research funding was denied. Once again, Cambridge Electronics is a valuable up-and-coming company. We can benefit from a mutual relationship with them while insulating ourselves from risk by being too involved with Annan Enterprises and JTech Industries. Edited by J Andres

• 2 weeks later...

newanchortimes.png

July 9, 2063

COMMUNE RAISES TARIFFS

ENDOR CUIDAD -- The Communist Party, with additional votes from the Nationalist Party, easily passed new legislation today that raises tariffs on imports into J Andres. Premier Egorov expects that this will allow J Andres businesses to compete more directly with the high quality of foreign imports. The manufacturing sector has grown tremendously in the past decade; however, the quality of J Andres goods has not reached the level of foreign imports, which are often mass produced and sold at similar prices to the domestic versions.

Senator Emily Gibbons, leader of the Nationalist Party and rumored Presidential candidate said, "The people want tariffs, just look at The Anchor Times survey. This is something Andreans want, and something they will benefit from." The Senate debated lower rates for North American nations, a provision that eventually was included in the bill.

The full list of tariff rates can be viewed here. Rates for other North American nations are considered to be 60% of the rates listed in the document. In accordance with the J Andres - American Commonwealth Economic Agreement of 2058, tariffs on goods from the American Commonwealth will be restricted to 20% of the listed amounts.

• 4 weeks later...

newanchortimes.png

May 8, 2064

Opinion:Remove Laurent

ENDOR CUIDAD -- Charlotte Laurent has been Foreign Affairs Minister for over two years, yet what improvements have we seen in this regard? Laurent continues to sit in Endor Cuidad rather than travel the world and spread the influence of J Andres! The feminists applauded her appointment and now that she had failed in her duties, they refuse to point fingers at their rising star!

When will the isolationism of J Andres end? Numerous reformations have come and gone due to the inability of J Andres leaders to make friends on the national stage. Laurent NEEDS to actively persue foreign relations, relations will not come to us.

ooc: Lapsed the 25 day rule by ~24 hours. This post is contingent on a reversal of this post...

OOC: J Andres has been wiped from the map and is no longer participating in CNRP. This will allow me more freedom to persue the internal RPs that I favor. Other nations are still permitted to participate. Sometime in the next few weeks I'll be releasing a map of our North American neighbors. For continuity I will be RPing all of my North American neighbors from that point forward. [/ooc]

newanchortimes.png

June 27, 2064

NATIONALISTS POSED FOR BIG WINS

130x150gibbons.png

ENDOR CUIDAD -- Emily Gibbons looks like she is in position to snag the Presidency in the upcoming elections. The Nationalists took a number of governorships in the midterm elections, and it looks like the popularity of the party has continued. Gibbons masterminded the revitalization of the Nationalist Party over the past four years, finally managing to separate the party from the influences of the Mercton family. Josef Mercton, the first President brought notoriety to the party; however, in recent years, the antics of his children have tarnished the family name.

Gibbons, if elected, would be the first female President. Her opponents, Governor John Walker (Anchor) and Senator Cory Webb (Communist) don't have the same national recognition that Gibbons has. Walker has run into issues with his position on open borders, while Webb continues to preach for the diminishment of the Monarchy.

Although Gibbons looks strong to finish in first for the Presidential race, the fate of the Commune is typically prone to fluctuation, and it is unknown if the Nationalist Party will be able to secure the Commune as well. Edited by J Andres

newanchortimes.png

August 23, 2064

NATIONS MOURNS THE LOSS OF BEN RICHARDS

160px-Benrichards.JPG

BOSTON -- Sadness has moved into J Andres with the announcement of Ben Richards' death. Richards was the only surviving member from the early days of J Andres. Richards was a colonel, leading the charge into Orlando during the Orlando Offensives in 1982. His wild military success catapulted him into the spotlight, making him a war hero. Richards was a good friend of Josef Mercton, first President an d King, and although they were the figureheads of opposing political parties, they always were civil.

Richards would be elected to the office of President himself in 1988, holding the position for nearly 10 years. The Presidency may have been his first political post, but it was not his last. Richards would later serve as Minister of War and Defense for 13 years, and later served as Premier of the Commune for 7 more.

Richards finally retired from politics in 2032, although his voice has not been silent for the last 32 years. Numerous candidates have come to Boston, seeking advice of the Maritime Republic's last living father. He assisted heavily in the fourth Reformation.

In the most recent years, since the Fifth Reformation, Richards has remained in Boston and refrained from travel. Of his three children, only his youngest is still alive, and the Duchy of Boston will now fall to his grandchild, Countess Shannon. Shannon will not his first granddaughter to become a Duchess; Lily, Duchess of Rossingol is also a grandchild of Richards.

Richards passed peacefully in his sleep. He was 106.

newanchortimes.png

October 28, 2064

GIBBONS WINS, BIG WINS FOR NATIONALISTS, WOMEN

130x150gibbons.png

ENDOR CUIDAD -- For the first time since the Fourth Reformation, the Nationalists are once again in charge. Emily Gibbons wrapped up the Presidential race capturing 42% of the vote. Gibbons was the mastermind of the recent turn around of the Nationalist party, away from the militaristic ideals of the past, and into the leading party today.

The gains translated over to the Commune as well, were the Nationalists gained 273 seats for a total of 374. Ashley Carpenter was selected as the Premier of the Commune. The Communists and Anchor parties fell to second and third place, respectively.

Gibbons announced her Ministry appointments as well. Charlotte Laurent will retain her position as Minister of Foreign Affairs. Louis Kissinger, CEO of Thames Rotorcraft, will become the new Minister of War and Defense. Marissa Roth, CEO of Pfizer Quigley, will become the new Minister of Internal Affairs.

Gibbons is the first female President, and Carpenter is the first female Premier. Queen Katherine remains on the throne, meaning that the three most powerful individuals in the Maritime Republic are all women. Laurent and Roth are also the first female heads of their respective departments. Feminists have mixed feelings about the overrepresentation of females in the governing bodies. All of the newly elected office holders will be sworn into office on January 3 of next year.

October 31, 2064

ENDOR CUIDAD -- Evan McDowell was preparing for retirement. His tenure as President was slowly coming to a close, and he walked through the halls of Governmental Centre, reminiscing. The twelve years seemed to pass quickly.

He heard the sound of a woman's heels rapidly approaching behind him. A casual glance over his shoulder told him that it was Charlotte Laurent, the Foreign Affairs Minister. He stopped walking and turned around to face her; however, rather than continuing on down the hallway, she ducked into a conference room and beckoned the President to follow her.

McDowell closed the distance quickly and arrived in the conference room to see Laurent trying to work a remote control for the television set. She coaxed the remote to display the news.

The television cackled to life, "North American Commonwealth grants independence to the new 'Kingdom of Vinsalia.' Gabriel Bourbon, son of former President Francisco Bourbon, has declared himself King over the former Vinsalian territory, establishing Albany as the capital. King Gabriel is expected to release a statement later this afternoon."

McDowell had to shut his jaw. Pointing to the television he asked, "Is this something we should worry about?"

Laurent shook her head, "I sure hope not, otherwise, things may be coming full circle."