#1 admin

admin

Game Admin/Owner

• Admin
  • 5,725 posts
  • Nation Name:Great Nation
  • Alliance Name:CN Staff

Posted 09 March 2013 - 08:05 AM

I know this is very minor in the grande scheme of things, but would the player based like to be able to input their own custom ethnic group when editing their nation?

Keep in mind the title of this thread. Any discussions about other suggestions that you want implemented will result in babies getting punched.

#2 Proest

Proest

Known as "Cuba"

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  • Nation Name:Outer Europe
  • Alliance Name:Umbrella

Posted 09 March 2013 - 08:23 AM

It would be nice, I guess. It wouldn't affect anything.

#3 admin

admin

Game Admin/Owner

• Admin
  • 5,725 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 08:42 AM

It would be nice, I guess. It wouldn't affect anything.

Gameplay wise it wouldn't affect anything, but I forsee alliances using the field to create alliance subgroups for things like war battalions (ex. Alliance = Umbrella, Ethnic Group = Umbrella War Division VII) Not sure how likely that would be, but it would disrupt the intended purpose of ethnic groups in the game.

#4 Kyriakos Raanb Dorou

Kyriakos Raanb Dorou

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 989 posts
  • Nation Name:Nubia
  • Alliance Name:CCC
  • CN:TE Alliance Name:TFK

Posted 09 March 2013 - 08:45 AM

You bet; any customization option is always a good idea. Every step establishes a closer connection between players and their CyberNations. :)

#5 Proest

Proest

Known as "Cuba"

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  • Nation Name:Outer Europe
  • Alliance Name:Umbrella

Posted 09 March 2013 - 08:49 AM

Gameplay wise it wouldn't affect anything, but I forsee alliances using the field to create alliance subgroups for things like war battalions (ex. Alliance = Umbrella, Ethnic Group = Umbrella War Division VII) Not sure how likely that would be, but it would disrupt the intended purpose of ethnic groups in the game.

That's possible, but I think if you made it possible then people should be allowed to input what they want (inside of TOS). It depends on what you're wanting to be the outcome.

#6 HeroofTime55

HeroofTime55

Not on your side

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,505 posts
  • Nation Name:New XGA
  • Alliance Name:Random Insanity Alliance

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:49 AM

Ethnicity: Pastel Equine

I approve

#7 Arid Aaron

Arid Aaron

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Nation Name:Uherna

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:22 PM

Make a bunch of mini moderators whose sole purpose in life is to reset custom ethnicities like this? 

Yeah, yes to custom ethnicities. 

#8 Dragonshy

Dragonshy

Envoy of the dead Dragonshy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • Nation Name:Cloudshy
  • Alliance Name:GPA
  • CN:TE Nation Name:The Frying Dehlia
  • CN:TE Alliance Name:The Frying Dehlia

Posted 09 March 2013 - 04:33 PM

This would be a good contribution towards national RP purposes as well. Yes.

#9 Nick GhostWolf

Nick GhostWolf

Nebraska Redneck

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Nation Name:Lacuna Syndicate
  • Alliance Name:New Polar Order
  • CN:TE Nation Name:Lacuna Corporation
  • CN:TE Alliance Name:New Desolate Order

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:26 PM

I think it'd be an excellent idea.  I think allowing certain "special" characters might be good as well - such as "Irish, Scottish, and Hungarian", in lieu of simply "Mixed".  That always begs the question - mix of what, exactly?

Edited by Nick GhostWolf, 09 March 2013 - 11:30 PM.

#10 commanderragnar

commanderragnar

Also known as RagnarBuliwyf

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • Nation Name:Valenwood
  • Alliance Name:Pacifica
  • CN:TE Nation Name:Valenwood
  • CN:TE Alliance Name:Roman Empire

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:49 AM

I like it, I'd like to have my own custom race.

#11 Believland

Believland

BEazy Unchained

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,086 posts
  • Nation Name:Believland

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:56 AM

Yes. I think it'd be more like "Paradoxians" or "Umbrellailures" and not so much brigade information, because no one would use that because it doesn't make since. 

#12 Ziperia

Ziperia

Bane of the Calzones

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Nation Name:Ziperia
  • Alliance Name:The Impotent Overlords

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:48 AM

I could finally have Finnish as my ethnicity? Awasome!

#13 vandelsand

vandelsand

None

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • Nation Name:Native Columbia

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:05 AM

I think adding custom religious group would also be smart, if you're going to do ethnic group.

#14 vom53

vom53

Mediator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Nation Name:Solitude Island
  • Alliance Name:United Confederation of Nations

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:10 AM

It would be a good idea, but would disrupt the purpose of having ethnic groups. Customization options that are available to players would  allow the players to expand their nation's uniqueness, but at the cost of destroying the purpose of the game. Cybernations is a nation simulation game and in the society today ethnic groups are not customizated, but desiginated accordingly so if Cybernations is to continue to be a nation simulation game, there should be no customization of ethnic groups.

Edited by vom53, 10 March 2013 - 11:11 AM.

#15 Hereno

Hereno

For Services Rendered

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,088 posts
  • Nation Name:Lancashire
  • Alliance Name:NSO

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:17 AM

I think that not allowing it to be customized works better with the whole chart of ethnic groups thing you recently implemented. If we allow customs, the number of ethnic groups is going to skyrocket and we're going to get hundreds of one-nation groups. But then, it's not like it matters, as if the ethnic groups actually effect gameplay, so you might as well let people customize them anyway. inb4 thousands of "british, german, caucasian, etc." names all become "white".

#16 Icewolf

Icewolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,776 posts
  • Nation Name:Icicle City

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:22 AM

The chart could be worked so that only groups of 10 or more count, like alliances. 

I like the idea as it adds to the roleplay basis. 

And I don't see a problem with adding in alliance subgroups to that field. It would be no different to stating that someone was Texan rather than American. 

Or Welsh rather than British.

Edited by Icewolf, 10 March 2013 - 11:22 AM.

#17 Indian Bob

Indian Bob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Nation Name:Indinoplace
  • Alliance Name:Anarchy Inc

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:20 PM

The usefulness for alliance management would only exist if it was searchable IMO.  Not that, that would be inherently a bad thing.

#18 LexLuthor18

LexLuthor18

No Matching Nation

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 482 posts
  • Nation Name:Killuminati Empire
  • Alliance Name:MAXIMUM CARNAGE

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:48 PM

Actually this would be a pretty good idea, but like Proest said it wouldn't really affect anything.

#19 Maelstrom Vortex

Maelstrom Vortex

AAAH THE TECHZ! IT IS OVER 18000, WHICH IS OVER 9000 TWICE&#

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,070 posts
  • Nation Name:Dragonisia
  • Alliance Name:NPO

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:50 PM

I really like this idea. I think there could be more though admin..

You could allow us to customize a race with generic humans as a default  to get advantages to specialize your character.It could be based on a points system. You could actually make racial/ethnic selections have an impact on the play of the nation.

Examples might be that player cho0ses Americans, for example could be customized to have an innovation trait and a capitalism trait that give bonuses to tech cost reduction sand citizen daily tax collection.

Another person might choose a more war like ethnicity/race, say vikings for example, and choose a soldier efficiency bonus and a naval cost reduction bonus.

Just an idea, but I thought I'd toss it out there since it would give a new and interesting dynamic to the game while allowing a retention of balance. You even have a similar concept already in place, and the code could be very similar.. that being with trade good selection. So shouldn't be difficult to implement.

Changing the race/ethnicity of a nation shouldn't be a light decision, at the most perhaps allow it to be changed one time per 3 months or 1 time per year, reflecting a change in the dominant race in the nation by immigration or internal demographics changes.

Edited by Maelstrom Vortex, 10 March 2013 - 11:25 PM.

#20 admin

admin

Game Admin/Owner

• Admin
  • 5,725 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:31 AM

I really like this idea. I think there could be more though admin..

You could allow us to customize a race with generic humans as a default  to get advantages to specialize your character.It could be based on a points system. You could actually make racial/ethnic selections have an impact on the play of the nation.

Examples might be that player cho0ses Americans, for example could be customized to have an innovation trait and a capitalism trait that give bonuses to tech cost reduction sand citizen daily tax collection.

Another person might choose a more war like ethnicity/race, say vikings for example, and choose a soldier efficiency bonus and a naval cost reduction bonus.

Just an idea, but I thought I'd toss it out there since it would give a new and interesting dynamic to the game while allowing a retention of balance. You even have a similar concept already in place, and the code could be very similar.. that being with trade good selection. So shouldn't be difficult to implement.

Changing the race/ethnicity of a nation shouldn't be a light decision, at the most perhaps allow it to be changed one time per 3 months or 1 time per year, reflecting a change in the dominant race in the nation by immigration or internal demographics changes.

This sounds really awesome. The nightmare would be balancing all 42 ethnicities. In order to make this work the number of available ethnicities would have to be dramatically reduced. This would also mean, no custom ethnic groups (unless a generic bonus is provided to all custom ethnic groups).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users