• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts
  • Nation Name:Republic of Tropico
  • Alliance Name:Atlas
  • CN:TE Nation Name:Darkwater1
  • CN:TE Alliance Name:SKARO DALEK KILL YOU AA OF DOOM THINGY

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:03 PM

This is purely Aesthetic. I was thinking, that the top Alliance (sanctioned and by score), would be able to set a New Currency, it has no effects other than unifying the Alliance.

Eg.

NpO- Polaris Dollar
NPO- Pacifican Credits Francos
IRON- Iron Pieces Still thinking!
GPA- Agency Notes

Edited by Agent Nuke, 22 February 2013 - 05:14 PM.

#2 Manis B

Manis B

a winner is you

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 762 posts
  • Nation Name:Caesura
  • Alliance Name:Global Alliance and Treaty Organization

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:27 PM

would be cool if there was an exchange rate between alliances. based on tech maybe? or total cash of that alliance?

#3 Caladin

Caladin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts
  • Nation Name:Kaitain
  • Alliance Name:New Pacific Order
  • CN:TE Nation Name:Caladin
  • CN:TE Alliance Name:Ordo Paradoxia

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:23 AM

I like the idea, mainly because we get to create this currency :P

#4 Beauty

Beauty

100% forum warn

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,687 posts
  • Nation Name:Tongzhi
  • Alliance Name:Grand Global Alliance

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:07 AM

I think its Pretty cool, but in a way sort of pointless. Its more cosmetic.

#5 Dragonshy

Dragonshy

Envoy of the dead Dragonshy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • Nation Name:Cloudshy
  • Alliance Name:GPA
  • CN:TE Nation Name:Dreamworld
  • CN:TE Alliance Name:War Doves

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:16 AM

Expanding on this idea, If it was purely cosmetic, would it be better to also let individual nations customize their currency (in text only, image would be reserved for the top alliance) ?

Edited by Dragonshy, 16 February 2013 - 03:16 AM.

#6 Corin

Corin

Spartan Grumpy Cat.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Nation Name:Fortezza
  • Alliance Name:Sparta

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:26 AM

If it is just an aesthetic change, it'll be great. 

#7 Litha Riddle

Litha Riddle

Baby maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Nation Name:Enigmathena

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:17 AM

Although ours would be Francos :P

#8 ToaSithe

ToaSithe

PanSithe

• Banned - Appeal Denied
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Nation Name:Kavia
  • Alliance Name:Independent Republic of Orange Nations
  • CN:TE Nation Name:Kavia
  • CN:TE Alliance Name:New Atlantic Order

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:25 PM

I think Francos sounds alot more fitting than Pacifican Credits.

Also, IRON Peices sounds like a poorly designed candy.

But I like this idea.

#9 Arid Aaron

Arid Aaron

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Nation Name:Uherna

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:58 PM

Cosmetic, good idea. 

#10 HM Solomon I

HM Solomon I

His Majesty the Royal Pooper of Parties

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • Nation Name:Kingdom of the Truth

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:41 PM

What if it wasn't just purely cosmetic?  I mean currently all of CN uses the UCN$ (Universal Cybernations Dollar), which is just what I'm calling the currency in-game (since no matter if you choose dollars, pounds-sterling, or dongs, they're all worth the same exact amount, with all of them having a 1:1 exchange rate with each other).  If sanctioned alliances had their own currencies, then they could have different exchange rates.  Just like in RL, exchange rates would be based on supply and demand, with currencies more in demand being worth more.  

The following formula would determine exchange rates:

1 unit of a given currency : (1+((total units of a given currency sent or received via foreign aid in a given day/total units of all currencies sent or received via foreign aid in a given day)*10)) units of any other currency

Per this formula, if 20% of all units of currency sent or received in a given day are Pacifican Francos, then the exchange rate would be 1 Pacifican Franco to 3 units of any other currency (1+(.2*10)= 3).  If a Pacifican using Pacifican Francos as his national currency sends PF 1M to a Polaris nation using Polaris Dollars, then the Polaris nation would receive P$ 3M, as the game would automatically convert one currency into another using the current exchange rate.  PF 1M would also be worth UCN$ 3M (or, in other words, 1M Pacifican Francos would be worth 3M of any of the non-sanctioned-alliance currencies).  Nations would be able to freely choose a non-sanctioned-alliance currency (i.e., UCN$) or one of the sanctioned alliances' currencies.  Exchange rates would be re-calculated each day at update based on the percentage of each currency that was sent or received via foreign aid during the day out of the total units of currency sent or received during that same day.  Also, UCN$ would also have their exchange rate calculated in this way, so UCN$ will tend to be a very valuable currency because most nations will likely use the currencies that are currently in the game, which are all considered UCN$.

When buying things from one's nation screen (i.e., tech, infra, wonders, improvements, military units, etc.), every nation will be treated as though it is using UCN$ as its national currency so that if 3M Pacifican Francos are worth 9M Polaris Dollars, someone using Polaris Dollars that receives 3M Francos would have 9M regular CN currency units (i.e., the equivalent of 9M of whatever currency we use in-game currently) to spend on stuff.  Thus, more valuable currencies have higher purchasing power because when they are exchanged into other, comparably less valuable currencies, they can buy more infra, tech, land, troops, nukes, improvements, wonders, etc.  However, there's also an element of self-balancing going on here, because if a currency is really valuable, less of it can be used to get the same stuff that would've taken more of another currency, so the total amount of that currency sent or received each day will tend to decrease over time, thus reducing its value; once its value is reduced, more of it will be required to get the same stuff that would've taken less of another currency, so it's value will again rise.

Also, currencies that are widely adopted among the nations in the game will tend to be worth than those that are only adopted by one alliance's members because more nations using the currency means more potential for that currency to be sent or received in aid in a given day.

Sanctioned alliances may also want to get the color teams they are based on to use their currency so that their currency becomes more valuable, and thus their members and their team-mates can tech deal at an advantage when compared to other teams whose nations use less valuable currencies.

In the above example, a Pacifican nation using Francos would be able to pay significantly less for tech in tech deals because in a standard $3M/100T deal, that nation would only need to send PF 1M to receive 100T (since PF 1M would be worth 3M of any other currency).  Since tech is the most valuable commodity in the game, the addition of exchange rates means that nations using more valuable currencies would be able to afford more tech and thus have more power.

Edited by HM Solomon I, 18 February 2013 - 12:07 AM.

#11 Sondirrasta

Sondirrasta

Lt. Com. of Finance [UCR]

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Nation Name:Accrylia
  • Alliance Name:Die Linke

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:49 PM

I like HM Solomon I's idea tbh.... I think the Economic side of this game really needs to be fleshed out.

#12 Rayan Thomas

Rayan Thomas

Resident Smoker & Artist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:23 PM

I thought that it would be purely cosmetic... But then again....

#13 Rayan Thomas

Rayan Thomas

Resident Smoker & Artist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:24 PM

What if it wasn't just purely cosmetic?  I mean currently all of CN uses the UCN$ (Universal Cybernations Dollar), which is just what I'm calling the currency in-game (since no matter if you choose dollars, pounds-sterling, or dongs, they're all worth the same exact amount, with all of them having a 1:1 exchange rate with each other).  If sanctioned alliances had their own currencies, then they could have different exchange rates.  Just like in RL, exchange rates would be based on supply and demand, with currencies more in demand being worth more.  

The following formula would determine exchange rates:

1 unit of a given currency : (1+((total units of a given currency sent or received via foreign aid in a given day/total units of all currencies sent or received via foreign aid in a given day)*10)) units of any other currency

Per this formula, if 20% of all units of currency sent or received in a given day are Pacifican Francos, then the exchange rate would be 1 Pacifican Franco to 3 units of any other currency (1+(.2*10)= 3).  If a Pacifican using Pacifican Francos as his national currency sends PF 1M to a Polaris nation using Polaris Dollars, then the Polaris nation would receive P$ 3M, as the game would automatically convert one currency into another using the current exchange rate.  PF 1M would also be worth UCN$ 3M (or, in other words, 1M Pacifican Francos would be worth 3M of any of the non-sanctioned-alliance currencies).  Nations would be able to freely choose a non-sanctioned-alliance currency (i.e., UCN$) or one of the sanctioned alliances' currencies.  Exchange rates would be re-calculated each day at update based on the percentage of each currency that was sent or received via foreign aid during the day out of the total units of currency sent or received during that same day.  Also, UCN$ would also have their exchange rate calculated in this way, so UCN$ will tend to be a very valuable currency because most nations will likely use the currencies that are currently in the game, which are all considered UCN$.

When buying things from one's nation screen (i.e., tech, infra, wonders, improvements, military units, etc.), every nation will be treated as though it is using UCN$ as its national currency so that if 3M Pacifican Francos are worth 9M Polaris Dollars, someone using Polaris Dollars that receives 3M Francos would have 9M regular CN currency units (i.e., the equivalent of 9M of whatever currency we use in-game currently) to spend on stuff.  Thus, more valuable currencies have higher purchasing power because when they are exchanged into other, comparably less valuable currencies, they can buy more infra, tech, land, troops, nukes, improvements, wonders, etc.  However, there's also an element of self-balancing going on here, because if a currency is really valuable, less of it can be used to get the same stuff that would've taken more of another currency, so the total amount of that currency sent or received each day will tend to decrease over time, thus reducing its value; once its value is reduced, more of it will be required to get the same stuff that would've taken less of another currency, so it's value will again rise.

Also, currencies that are widely adopted among the nations in the game will tend to be worth than those that are only adopted by one alliance's members because more nations using the currency means more potential for that currency to be sent or received in aid in a given day.

Sanctioned alliances may also want to get the color teams they are based on to use their currency so that their currency becomes more valuable, and thus their members and their team-mates can tech deal at an advantage when compared to other teams whose nations use less valuable currencies.

In the above example, a Pacifican nation using Francos would be able to pay significantly less for tech in tech deals because in a standard $3M/100T deal, that nation would only need to send PF 1M to receive 100T (since PF 1M would be worth 3M of any other currency).  Since tech is the most valuable commodity in the game, the addition of exchange rates means that nations using more valuable currencies would be able to afford more tech and thus have more power.

^ This is amazing.

I vote for it!

#14 Rayan Thomas

Rayan Thomas

Resident Smoker & Artist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:25 PM

I think Francos sounds alot more fitting than Pacifican Credits.

Also, IRON Peices sounds like a poorly designed candy.

But I like this idea.

So ToaSithe, what will IRON have as it's national Currency?

#15 Hereno

Hereno

Pax et Bonum

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,403 posts
  • Nation Name:Lancashire
  • Alliance Name:NSO

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:12 PM

It's not a bad idea, per se, but would it really be worth the effort to implement? Would it really make the game that much better?

#16 Vasily Blyukher

Vasily Blyukher

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Nation Name:Khabarovsk Krai

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:49 PM

As a purely cosmetic change this isn't that useful aside from letting WTFBuckz grace the game at long last.  What would be interesting is if it actually impacted the game in some way.  I dislike the alliance idea because alliances come and go.  I mean what happens if WTF disbands tomorrow and its currency goes away?  Also you either set currency simply by size and activity of foreign aid or via somehow selecting someone from that alliance to be the Chairman of its Fed.  

Instead what is it was team related?  Each team has a currency and they set the currency exchange rates with the other teams.  As in the moment two green and two red senators vote yes on a rate, the exchange is agreed upon between those two teams.  If one Greenbuck is worth .5 Reddongs and I offer 3 million Greenbucks to a Red nation, when they accept, they get 1.5 million Reddongs in their account.  

That could lead interesting economics in the upcoming Cold War as people try to get better access to tech sellers.  Although also easy to abuse, fundamentally what you'd want is control two teams, say Pink and Black.  Pink and Black agree that 1 Pink Dollar is 10 Black Dollars, so when a Pink buyer offers a Black seller, the Black seller gets 30 million Black Dollars from the 3 million Pink dollars.  

To counter this you'd need some formula where all currencies also have a rate in 'CN Standard Dollars', so you can get 30 million black dollars in one aid slot, but all 30 million black dollars won't even buy 10 tech (like how you need a wheelbarrow full of money to buy bread in countries with hyperinflation).  So all teams set a rate (or refuse to set a rate, creating an embargo and no foreign can be offered across the teams) and then each team gets an exchange rate to 'CN Standard Dollars' based on circulating currency.  

This would require an overhaul of the in game currency system of course.  First when you collected you'd collect the currency of the color you were on at the time you clicked collect taxes, same with accepting aid, it is converted to the color you are on at the time the aid was offered.  

You could at any time convert any color to CN Standard Dollars and would need to do so to purchase infra and such actions.  If you team switch all your Pink dollars are converted upon the move.  However this would open the game to long term economic projects.  For example you could assign a portion of your alliance to move to a smaller team, get control of the senate and set really skewed exchange rates.  Move all your newbies onto a color, skew its exchange rate, and move aid.  After that you start trying to bring the currency back around to be worth something.  Go from one black dollar being worth .0001 CN Standard Dollar to being worth 2 CN Standard Dollars.

The issue is of course the exchange rates and the pegging them all to some CN Standard Dollar for actual in game actions.  As for team none, make it so all none nations are pegged to CN Standard.  No penalty but no chance to play in the currency market either.

On the plus side this opens up a whole new market for large nations who find 4.5 million in a slot a mere pittance.  On the downside it increases cognitive load for newbies who are getting into tech dealing.  I think we'd also have to limit how often you can team switch if we did this to prevent constant hops to alter collections and aid offers.  It would also have interesting implications in wars, especially right now as people move to aid GOONS and things like that.  

Edited by Vasily Blyukher, 24 February 2013 - 07:51 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users