Will this cause swathes of people to get banned?

Stewie

Hey guys

I've just read this on TheRegister

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/01/15/ipv4_nat/

But NATs don't just have technical implications, they also make it very hard to see who's doing what. ISPs log dynamically allocated IPs for legal redress, and PlusNet would do that with those behind the NAT too. All of this is fine when the police are involved but here at El Reg we count IP addresses as a rough guide to readership, and numerous sites including Wikipedia block unwanted edits by IP address, so sharing an IP could mean sharing responsibility too.

With some of the UK ISPs moving towards widespread NATTing of their connections to reduce their IPv4 address consumption it will potentially lead to lots of nations having the same IP with it being nigh on impossible to discern whether nations are legitimately different or same person multi-ing until we move towards an IPv6 internet infrastructure.

With various members of the UK in the community potentially being affected (myself included) as well as new members joining in the future how can we ensure that this does not lead to nations being deleted for having the same IPs even though they are long distances away from each other?

Yeh I suppose if you've been logging into your nation from IP A for 2 years and another guy has logged into his nation from IP B for 3 years, then suddenly they both change to the same one then they'd have to do more checks, but it's going to make trading and aiding interesting

• 3 weeks later...