Photo
- - - - -

Hey pseudo liberals and progressives, what's the deal?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#41 Rozalia

Rozalia

Former member of HoG

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,706 posts
  • Nation Name:Great Bedford
  • Alliance Name:Nuclear Proliferation League

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:22 PM

2) Labour-Lib Dem Coalition would have had 315 seats IIRC. You need 326 to have a majority in the house. Conservative/DUP would have had 314.

I'm sure a party like the Greens could be convinced to lend support if one of their policies was promised for a push. It'd be a bit makeshift getting all those minor parties to lend support and likely they'd not be able to convince enough of them anyway but its what I'd go for. When a lot of your voters are opposed totally to the Tories and are voting Libdem as they perceive the Libdems "to be to the left of labour" it just seems suicidal to throw your lot in with the Tories.
Then just to make sure all those voters vanish permanently Clegg had to open his big mouth and say there is no future to them being to the left of labour (it was totally unneeded statement). The only thing I can't figure out is where all those votes are going to funnel into; oddly many might actually go to UKIP, some back to labour and perhaps some might go to Respect who actually is left wing (but have a bad rep due to the media painting a high Muslim membership as some sort of crime).

Edited by Rozalia, 08 January 2013 - 04:23 PM.

#42 juslen

juslen

Former R&R Senator, Triumvir, and Sec of Interior

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,172 posts
  • Nation Name:juslen
  • Alliance Name:R&R

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:54 PM

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Uk4oSwU6DF0

My favorite European politician :D

#43 Icewolf

Icewolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,877 posts
  • Nation Name:Icicle City

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:53 AM

I'm sure a party like the Greens could be convinced to lend support if one of their policies was promised for a push. It'd be a bit makeshift getting all those minor parties to lend support and likely they'd not be able to convince enough of them anyway but its what I'd go for. When a lot of your voters are opposed totally to the Tories and are voting Libdem as they perceive the Libdems "to be to the left of labour" it just seems suicidal to throw your lot in with the Tories.

The Greens have one seat in parliament. 1. Did you even look at the make up of parliament when I asked you the question?

Greens: 1
SNP: 6
Plaid Cymru: 3

So even with those three in board you still only have 325. A five party coalition that just sneaks into majority land (as Sinn fein don't take seats). 5 defections from your 5 party coalition on any vote and you lose. 5 parties to have 10 more votes than the opposition.

Bear in mind the crucial fact-THe Liberal Demcrats could not afford to fight another election. They could not afford to not co-operate beccause they had for years called for more coalition governments and had to show they were a worthwhile vote.

And as for that coalition, the SNP wanted an exemption of Scotland from cuts. Labour were still at that point lead by the man who called a voter a bigot behind her back and was universally hated across the country. They were so useless in 2010 that when they first tried to talk to the Liberal Democrats their representatives did not even have an agreed position. (plus one of their negotiators was Lord Mandelson, and another was Ed Balls, two of the foulest men in politics today)

Then just to make sure all those voters vanish permanently Clegg had to open his big mouth and say there is no future to them being to the left of labour (it was totally unneeded statement). The only thing I can't figure out is where all those votes are going to funnel into; oddly many might actually go to UKIP, some back to labour and perhaps some might go to Respect who actually is left wing (but have a bad rep due to the media painting a high Muslim membership as some sort of crime).

UKIP I doubt it as a main plank of Lid Dem support is pro-EU. They will either not vote or go to Labour.

Respect are not unfairly painted anything. Their fat useless !@#$head of a leader said it was ok to rape women a while ago. !@#$@#$ scumbag.

#44 Rozalia

Rozalia

Former member of HoG

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,706 posts
  • Nation Name:Great Bedford
  • Alliance Name:Nuclear Proliferation League

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:34 AM

The Greens have one seat in parliament. 1. Did you even look at the make up of parliament when I asked you the question?

Greens: 1
SNP: 6
Plaid Cymru: 3

So even with those three in board you still only have 325. A five party coalition that just sneaks into majority land (as Sinn fein don't take seats). 5 defections from your 5 party coalition on any vote and you lose. 5 parties to have 10 more votes than the opposition.

Note

sure a party like the Greens could be convinced to lend support if one of their policies was promised for a push.
It'd be a bit makeshift getting all those minor parties to lend support

I know how weak it'd be; I was just saying it would do more to enhance the LibDems than jumping in with the Tories.

Respect are not unfairly painted anything. Their fat useless !@#$head of a leader said it was ok to rape women a while ago. !@#$@#$ scumbag.

While considered their only real notable member Galloway isn't their leader, and he didn't say it was okay to rape women like you state. He stated that if a women agreed to sex, had sex and then fell asleep he didn't see the man going in for a second round rape. Its old fashioned yes (norm 20/30 years ago) but Galloway much like his opposites on the right like Farage and such aren't exactly modern people and seem to wish to hark back to some age way back when.
Also considering Galloway already has a mountain of mud on him I very much doubt this will have any effect as the people bothered wouldn't vote for him in the first place, and a lot of men aren't exactly as "Modern" as a lot of people like to make out.

Edited by Rozalia, 09 January 2013 - 04:35 AM.

#45 KainIIIC

KainIIIC

whatCHA lookin' at?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,894 posts
  • Nation Name:Kainland
  • Alliance Name:New Sith Order

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:21 PM

you're forgetting the SDLP and Alliance; +4 seats. Plus I thought that bigoted comment if anything helped him; he closed the gap significantly in the last week or so, bringing the Tories to a minority.

#46 Icewolf

Icewolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,877 posts
  • Nation Name:Icicle City

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:06 PM

They got 29% of the vote. The worst result in 23 years. Even their own leadership didn't bother to prepare for victory or coalition (despite polls suggesitng a hung parliament for weeks). In interviews done since the Liberal Democrats have said that one of the major swings was that the Conservatives had a prepared position.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users